Chances ?

Mr X

I know it's very early days but do you think we have enough to avoid relegation? I am feeling much more positive after two good performances, if we are to stay up we must find some kind of consitency cos on our day we can beat anyone in this league. thoughts?

We've got enough to stay up. We should be aiming for the top half of the bottom half if that makes sense. There are easily more than three teams worse than us, if we can keep Schneiderlin, Lallana, Perry and Davis fit then we will be fine. Will be interesting to see how Pulis, Euell and Gasmi fit into the side when fit.

Mid table this season, keep hold of as many youngsters as possible over the summer and then aim for a steady improvement each season as we hopefully build for the future.

This season should be all about survival building a foundation towards a better future and I would happily take 16th place as we are now. It would be an improvement on last year and would be very hopeful that we are mathematically safe from relegation long before we were last year!

Its fair to say that teams in this league are all capable of beating eachother on their day but it looks like we already have 3 prime candidates for relegation in Forest, Doncaster and Barnsley and IMO worse case scenario it will be something like a 6 way fight for relegation of which we may be involved or better still provided we can continue our current level of form over the first 9 games we should be safe on around 56pts. Lets face it, inexperience and fitness have been our downfall in some games and with such a young side we can only get stronger just like Palace last season.

Hopeful, but please lets temper thoughts of playoffs as some less realistic supporters will be clamouring for JP's head if he doesn't emulate the great and most fortunate Burley's play off season.

One note of caution though is that if fans continue to stay away and gates are not at least around the 18k mark then expect some of the keystones of our foundation to be sold come January. The slogan - 'Use it or lose it' has been rolled out many times to try and save all manner of public and private services and if fans continue to avoid supporting the team at home yet travelling to away games, or in some misguided protest against the club's hierarchy, Lowe won't be the only thing to leave SMS and it will be a freefall drop and no parachute.

One note of caution though is that if fans continue to stay away and gates are not at least around the 18k mark then expect some of the keystones of our foundation to be sold come January. The slogan - 'Use it or lose it' has been rolled out many times to try and save all manner of public and private services and if fans continue to avoid supporting the team at home yet travelling to away games, or in some misguided protest against the club's hierarchy, Lowe won't be the only thing to leave SMS and it will be a freefall drop and no parachute.

Ah well **** happens. I'll stick to my away games though. Thanks for the advice all the same.

This season should be all about survival building a foundation towards a better future and I would happily take 16th place as we are now. It would be an improvement on last year and would be very hopeful that we are mathematically safe from relegation long before we were last year!

Its fair to say that teams in this league are all capable of beating eachother on their day but it looks like we already have 3 prime candidates for relegation in Forest, Doncaster and Barnsley and IMO worse case scenario it will be something like a 6 way fight for relegation of which we may be involved or better still provided we can continue our current level of form over the first 9 games we should be safe on around 56pts. Lets face it, inexperience and fitness have been our downfall in some games and with such a young side we can only get stronger just like Palace last season.

Hopeful, but please lets temper thoughts of playoffs as some less realistic supporters will be clamouring for JP's head if he doesn't emulate the great and most fortunate Burley's play off season.

Now that is a much better post. I agree with the sentiments.

I like the collective shout about fans staying away. Very professional to construct the 'escape strategy'!!

Edited by Totton Red

Mole, judging by your previous post i wonder and doubt if you have been to any games at all, ever. You're welcome btw.

I've been to hundreds of Saints games if you must know, and it's because i love Saints so much that i despise Lowe with equal passion.

Lowe should have been driven from the club for good the last time. I for one am going to do my small bit (depriving the club of funds) to help ensure his return is brief.

Love and Kisses,

Mole.

I've been to hundreds of Saints games if you must know, and it's because i love Saints so much that i despise Lowe with equal passion.

Lowe should have been driven from the club for good the last time. I for one am going to do my small bit (depriving the club of funds) to help ensure his return is brief.

Love and Kisses,

Mole.

You are quite right. Lowe should have been driven from the club the last time.

Unfortunately, Wilde & Crouch were just playing with their train set and never ever had the wealth to dispose of Lowe.

In my view your protest should actually be aimed at these 2 for failing to deliver, rather than Lowe who has ridden back in to try and claim the "saviour" tag.

I don't understand the "cutting your nose off to spite your face" mentality of some, esp as they are the first to bemoan the lack of purchases and the occurrence of player sales.

I support the club (the team). Not lowe, not wilde & not crouch.

I haven't changed from my forecast pre-season.

There are 3 or 4 very poor sides in this league, who we should be able to outperform over the course of a season, however it is going to be a struggle to avoid the drop.

It's amazing what wins against Donny and Norwich can do for people's expectations, but to be saying we are playoff candidates is optimistic to say the least.

In past years we have frequently staved off relegation by fortunately having a great keeper between the sticks. We know who they are. They are all Saints legends.

This year once again we are very dependent on the form of a very good keeper. Kelvin is the key to our season.

If he can avoid injury, the youngsters have every opportunity of growing in confidence, and who knows what they can achieve.

But if Davis is injured we are likely to be in trouble.

IF we can shake off a few of our injuries, and dont go on a selling spree in January, I'll stick by my pre-season prediction of mid-table, though a bit of luck may see us scraping the edge of the promotion battle. I still think that is more likely if Skacel is brought back into the fold.

If Lowe succumbs to more short-termist bollllox from Barclays, and the likes of Thomas and Euell decide to stretch out their visits to the treatment table, we are in big trouble...

Ah well **** happens. I'll stick to my away games though. Thanks for the advice all the same.

Well at the end of the day it is of course your choice but not going to St Mary's in the long run will not help the team,

I dont know where we will end but I am relatively happy where we are at the moment as I feel the squad is improving.

It does not seem to be a team but a squad as so many have played this season and only Davis Lallana and possibly Surmanwould be in everybody's chosen teams

Edited by John B

Unfortunately Lallana will be sold in the January window , this has nothing to with the sub 18,000 crowds , when the big clubs want a player they will get him. From what i have seen this season he has been by far our most creative and influential player and without him i can only see us just avoiding relegation, which personally i would take now.

Nice post. Couldn't agree more.

No doubt it has been quantified elsewhere before but what will the annual financial loss be (in terms of profit, not revenue) to the club if we are 3,000 short of Sundance's 18,000 "break even" threshold? If (plucks figure from the air) the average clear profit made per attendee is £10, then we're looking at c.£1.5million.

If that figure is anywhere close to being accurate then to say that we would have to lose "some" of the keystones of our foundation in January is arguably a slight exaggeration as we could probably cover that "loss" with the sale of just "one" player not "some".

Anyway, agree with the sentiments. Cheers

Edited by trousers

Unfortunately Lallana will be sold in the January window , this has nothing to with the sub 18,000 crowds , when the big clubs want a player they will get him. From what i have seen this season he has been by far our most creative and influential player and without him i can only see us just avoiding relegation, which personally i would take now.

I really do not understand where these comments come from. I am not a Lowe fan but if he was going to sell AL or AS or KD he would have done so in August, offers were made for 2 of the 3. Lowe willnot sell unless he is forced to by the bank or the player says he's off to pastures new.

Back on the subject, mid table is well within the cuurent team, keep relatively injury free and hopefully keep the team together and we may push for teh last play off place.

Keep the faith!! COYR!!

No doubt it has been quantified elsewhere before but what will be the financial loss (in terms of profit, not revenue) to the club if we are 3,000 short of Sundance's 18,000 "break even" threshold? If (plucks figure from the air) the average clear profit made per attendee is £10, then we're looking at c.£1.5million.

If that figure is anywhere close to being accurate then to say that we would have to lose "some" of the keystones of our foundation in January is arguably a slight exaggeration as we could probably cover that "loss" with the sale of just "one" player not "some".

Anyway, agree with the sentiments. Cheers

While I'm happy to admit I'm no accountant it's perfectly obvious SLH will make another substantial financial loss this FY - and next in all probability .

I've no idea where this '18,000 = break even' number comes from , we'd have to virtually fill SMS (with adults not kids 4 a quid) every game to get anywhere near that happy situation from what I can see .

Expected Operating loss FY 07/08 = £13m

Likely Operating loss FY 08/09 = £7.5m?

Extra Income from filling SMS = £8m

Barring major injuries, barring major sales i honestly think we can high mid table. The possibility of sneaking into the play offs is a reality in this league if we really start motoring. As i said before the season the difference between teams in this league are so marginal. The top 3 are a class above and then there's very little between 4-18.

Mole.

I'm afraid I can't share your sentiment. I do hate Lowe with a passion, and I do believe he was responsible for our current demise. However, we both share the same vision in that we want Southampton to survive, me for personal reasons, him for business reasons, and in that I want us to succeed, he needs us to suceed. The sooner he goes the better, but as it is you can only **** with the **** you've got, therefore I will do what I can to ensure the continuation of my team.

And I leave you with this thought, 'What position does LOWE play?' So when are you showing support to him?

And if you only go to away matches, are you not contributing, in a small way, to the continual success and survival of our rivals?

I really do not understand where these comments come from. I am not a Lowe fan but if he was going to sell AL or AS or KD he would have done so in August, offers were made for 2 of the 3. Lowe willnot sell unless he is forced to by the bank or the player says he's off to pastures new.

Back on the subject, mid table is well within the cuurent team, keep relatively injury free and hopefully keep the team together and we may push for teh last play off place.

Keep the faith!! COYR!!

Did we want to sell Walcott , did we want to sell Bale or Baird NO, but when Premier clubs start talking and big moneys involed we are in no position to say no. Sorry to say this will keep happening until we get some sort of investment.

mole you need to get your head out of the sand.away games are great but its the home ones that are important to the exsistence of SOUTHAMPTON.FC,the club you are meant to support.so if you do support saints get back down to sms and help keep this fantastic club alive,cos unless we are turning up.then its the end of sfc.players will be sold and if we want to progress and keep the young uns we have to turn up,YOU ARE NOT LINING LOWES POCKET YOU ARE SUSTAINING THE FUTURE OF YOUR CLUB.rant over,up the saints.coyr