FM11 - Southampton F.C.

Matthew Le God

Finished my first season with Saints (I play very slowly). Pretty successful!

- Won League 1 (112pts, Peterborough in 2nd with 104)

- Won JPT (Beat Peterborough in the final)

- FA Cup Semi-Finalists (Lost 1-0 to Wolves in the Semi - gutted as we dumped Liverpool out over 2 legs in the quarters so I was sure we'd thrash Wolves)

- Trashed Birmingham 6-2 in the League Cup

Top Scorer: Leigh Griffiths (43 goals in 55 games in all Comps)

Top Assists: Leigh Griffiths (16 in 55 games in all Comps)

Player of the Season: Leigh Griffiths (Average Rating: 7.62)

---------------Smithies-------------------

Dechev----Fonte----Sigurdsson----Hrdlicka

Belaid----Deegan----Schneiderlin----Lallana

---------Lambert----Griffiths---------------

Subs: Davis, Harding, Fabricio, Norregaard, Chamberlain, Aase, Zeballos

Finished my first season with Saints (I play very slowly). Pretty successful!

- Won League 1 (112pts, Peterborough in 2nd with 104)

- Won JPT (Beat Peterborough in the final)

- FA Cup Semi-Finalists (Lost 1-0 to Wolves in the Semi - gutted as we dumped Liverpool out over 2 legs in the quarters so I was sure we'd thrash Wolves)

- Trashed Birmingham 6-2 in the League Cup

Top Scorer: Leigh Griffiths (43 goals in 55 games in all Comps)

Top Assists: Leigh Griffiths (16 in 55 games in all Comps)

Player of the Season: Leigh Griffiths (Average Rating: 7.62)

---------------Smithies-------------------

Dechev----Fonte----Sigurdsson----Hrdlicka

Belaid----Deegan----Schneiderlin----Lallana

---------Lambert----Griffiths---------------

Subs: Davis, Harding, Fabricio, Norregaard, Chamberlain, Aase, Zeballos

wow that is slow (if you got it when it came out) do you just seldom play or do it with super high detail?!

From Miles Jacobson...

Last Monday I had said that we were hopeful of a release for the patch this week (week of 28th Feb).

Whilst that is still possible, it's now looking very unlikely. We have been chasing a rare and seemingly random crash issue for the last week (memory corruption) that we are struggling to reproduce due to it's randomness, and when it is crashing, it's giving us limited information in tracking it down. We have made progress in narrowing down what is causing it, and working round the clock on this, but tests and test code are still ongoing despite working on it 24/7.

I would therefore suggest that the patch and data update will likely be released next week (week of 8th March), which still fits into the original timeline given if near the start of the week!

I will provide more information once we have more.

Quick question.

Apologies if this has been answered already.

I found with FM10 that hardly any of the players had pictures on their profiles. Has that changed for FM11?

I can see from the pictures on page 1 that there are, but I thought that Matthew Le God may have imported them himself onto the game.

Any answers?

Quick question.

Apologies if this has been answered already.

I found with FM10 that hardly any of the players had pictures on their profiles. Has that changed for FM11?

I can see from the pictures on page 1 that there are, but I thought that Matthew Le God may have imported them himself onto the game.

Any answers?

It is down to the licensed clubs to send in the photos. Southampton Football Club didn't send SEGA the player photos for FM10. They did for FM11, I haven't added them myself.

I'm a little confused.

If Saints did send them to SEGA for FM11, aren't they on there already?

If I've misunderstood this entirely, do I download those face packs from fm-base and then start a new game, and then they'll be there? As with the update patches.

Sorry for all the questions.

The Saints player photos/kits/club badge are already on FM11, no need to download them. You can use http://www.fm-base.co.uk to get other unlicensed graphics, like the Premier League player photos/club badges/kits etc. The Football League, along with many other world leagues has licensed graphics and are in FM11, some like the English Premier League are not licensed for SEGA to use as EA Sports has the exclusive rights.

There have been two main patches so far for FM11, 11.3 will be out in the next week or so. 11.3 will contain up to date data, e.g. Jonathan Forte, Dany N'Guessan etc at Saints.

That's much clearer cheers. I would like to have the Prem stuff on there. I hate seeing just the coloured crest. I can understand why but it just doesn't look good.

I played a season as FC Bayern in FM10. No license for Bundesliga as well then I guess.

Reminds me of old PES games. London FC and all that.

You can download all sorts of stuff from there, a lot of people have put huge amounts of effort into creating custom leagues (for ones that weren't originally included on the game), huge facepacks and skins.

While i'm on the thread, I might as well give you a quick update on my Saints game (I know you're all dying to know how i'm getting on).

Originally said we could finish upper table and was given a £65k transfer budget and £205k p/w wage budget, but the board gave me the chance to change my expectations in the January window so i've said we can win the league.

Currently we're sitting comfortably top of the league (as of 11th Jan 2012) with a game in hand on our rivals and a 6 point cushion.

1. SAINTS              26pld                64pts
2. West Brom           26pld                58pts
--------------------------------------------------
3. Nottm Forest        27pld                54pts
4. Leicester           27pld                51pts
5. Blackpool           27pld                42pts
6. Peterborough        27pld                41pts

Leigh Griffiths has been banging them in for me, he's scored 32 in 28 (all competitions) and his value has gone from £1.2m at the start of the season to £3.1m! His best performance of the season came in our dominant victory over Hull (7-2 after going 2-0 down), when he scored 5 and got a 10.0 rating!

We've done the double over P*mpey in the league, beating them 2-1 at SMS and 1-0 at Nottarf. Dirty bastards put Morgan out for 3 months though!

Changed my formation from last season as we didn't really have enough money to sign a quality striker to play alongside Griffiths, so we're playing a 4-5-1 which is working excellently.

-------------------Smithies---------------------

Chimbonda-----Fonte-----Fabricio-----Raul Bravo

----------Norregaard-----Schneiderlin-----------

Vonlanthen----------Belaid---------------Lallana

--------------------Griffiths--------------------

Subs: Stack, Dechev, Sigurdsson, Deegan, Chamberlain, Pilkington, Aase

tips on this please chaps, so you lot tend to stick to one formation or mix it up a bit? I tend to go between 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 and i cant be arsed to go all that man marking of players nonsense, although maybe this explains why i always finish midtable?

tips on this please chaps, so you lot tend to stick to one formation or mix it up a bit? I tend to go between 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 and i cant be arsed to go all that man marking of players nonsense, although maybe this explains why i always finish midtable?

When I'm Saints on FM I go with a 4-2-3-1.

That's two defensive midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders. Got me promoted with 120 points I think!

Fluid, Control, Short Passing, Expressive Play, Press More, Default Tackling, Man Marking, Stick to Position, Default Crossing.

A few notches above 'Deep' for your Defensive Line, Quick Play, Wide Play, Rarely Time Waste, Pass down Both Flanks, Counter Attack.

Won the Championship with 109pts, just about to start in the Prem with this as my team:

-------------------Smithies---------------

Richards-----Onuoha-----Fabricio-----Fabio

---------Schneiderlin-----Jenas------------

Bentley-------------Brown----------Zhirkov

--------------------Destro----------------

Subs: Kirkland, Dechev, Addison, Norregaard, Vonlanthen, Lallana, Griffiths

Picked up Zhirkov, Bentley, Jenas, Brown and Kirkland on frees, signed Richards for a paltry £2.6m and Onuoha on loan with a view to a £1.9m move.

Tip for teams newly-promoted to the Premiership - AI is stupid and transfer-lists some pretty great players, so keep an eye out for them!

I'm assuming things like "player X is obviously used to playing at a much higher tempo than asked to today" will fix itself when they've played a few games in that formation?

Also MLG, I think Morgan should have "looks for the pass rather than the shot" as a preferred move.

My 23 match unbeaten league run has just come to a miserable end with a 0-1 home defeat to Charlton. :(

You do realise that if you were Saints manager, the fans would be calling for you to be fired for that result?

From Miles Jacobson...

And another update - having finally found out what the issue was, and fixing it (the issue would only have happened on some hardware, and the code concerned is 4 years old, so it's been in there for a while) we spent the whole weekend "soak" testing (ie - having the game run without a human playing it in a special holiday mode that still does some actions) and it ran the whole weekend, on well over 100 machines, without crashing, which is very good news indeed.

Now the process of "sweep" testing has started (where a bunch of human testers try and break the game, and test out every option). This normally takes 3 days, so if all goes to plan, the data update and patch should be out this week.

Thank you all for your patience!

• 2 weeks later...

The first season of my most enthrawling game of FM has come to a close.

Southampton and P'boro both stormed League One with incredible points tally's. Saints finishing 1st with 112 pts, P'boro having to settle with 2nd on 109 pts. Both teams broke the 100 goal barrier with P'boro hitting the onion bag on 101 occasions and my Saints netting an incredible 120 times, Giving saints that all important goal difference of +85, compared to P'boro's respectable +66.

With 4 games left to go, P'boro were only 3 pts behind the League Leaders with equal games played with the Saints final 4 league fixtures being;

- Yeovil (h)

- P'boro (a)

- Oldham (h)

- Bompey(a)

It looked like a tricky ending, in particular having to travel to P'boro. Then when I lost to the team propping up the division at Home, Yeovil, I thought i'd blown the chance to go up as Champions as P'boro won in there fixture and drew equal on points with me, with us up against each other next. It wasn't to be for P'boro though, as Brandy and a rare brace from Dean Hammond turned around a 1-0 defecit to claim the all important victory. Saints continued their winning ways with comprehensive wins over both Oldham at SMS at Bournemouth away, ensuring the Promotion Party could get into full swing as Saints lifted the League One Trophy at Dean Court.

There was also a great run in the F.A Cup for the Saints, with the Red & White Army reaching the Quarter Finals after defeating Newcastle at SMS with two goals in the last 5 minutes to turn around the 0-1 scoreline and send Saints through to the 4th Round. Win then against Dag & Red then Blackburn pitched up an F.A Cup Quarter Final against Aston Villa at Villa Park, where Saints bowed out with a gracious 1-0 defeat in a fantastic display.

It's save games like this that make me realise why I have been so in love with this game for around 10 years.

December in my second season.

Sitting top of the championship, but the only player that seems to score is le fondre ( 23 so far )

lambert, lallana, chamberlain have 4 or 5 each, with a few others having a couple to there name.

what sort of budget will i get in january? anyone suggest a good striker to sign? and also a good centre back.