FM11 - Southampton F.C.

Matthew Le God

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bit the bullet and downloaded this through steam to keep myself occupied whilst off work sick. I'm now into my second season and have to admit I'm totally hooked again.

First season I didn't make too many changes to the squad, I think I only really bought in Febian Brandy (be mad not too :D) a right back called Javan Vidal from Man City, Jordan Spence on loan from West Ham, although he seems to be primarily a right back, I played him in central defence with Jose Fonte and I think I only conceded about 15-20 goals in the league. I also bought in a few backup players e.g. Lee Hendrie, Stephen Hughes and a young striker called Jamil Adam. Won the league with about 10 games to play.

So far in the second season, I bought Jordan Spence in permanently, signed a left back (Chris Mattock) on loan from West Brom. Sergio (a 34 y.o. spanish central midfielder with fantastic attributes in most categories) on a free. A left winger by the name of kayledene Brown, who was in one of the England trialists matches, on a free. A highly rated young goalkeeper on loan (can't remember the name right now) with a loan clause that I can buy for £750k... value now £1m :D Also managed to hold onto all the big names in the squad (Schneiderlin, Chamberlain, Fonte, Lallana. I would say Lambert but he's struggled for me in th NPC) despite some quite intense interest from other clubs. One of the best things I did was offer Schneiderlin a new contract and make him captain... seemed to go down well with the rest of the squad and the fans!

The club also signed an agreement with Sunderland at the end of the first season. They can send players on loan to me, with no obligation to play (or pay). The first of these was a DCM called Meyler (or Melyer) who's turned out to be very useful!

At the start of the second season, the board wanted me to make it a consolidation season with a budget to match. I upgraded that to top half finish to increase the budget and now sit third, with £2m to spend in the January window if needed. My team currently is:

GK Loanee whose name I forget/Davis

RB Vidal

DCR Fonte

DCL Spence

LB Mattock

RM Chamberlain/Puncheon

CMR Schneiderlin©/Sergio

CML Meyler/Sergio/Lallana

LM Lallana/Brown/Puncheon

STCR Guly/Lambert

STCL Brandy/Adam/Brown

I generally stick to variations of 4-4-2 with tweaks to the style of player (i.e. more attacking or defensive depending on the opposition). Though have played 4-5-1, 5-3-2, 4-3-3 and even 4-2-4 for a fan day at the end of the first season :D

"Bournemouth fans are becoming a little concerned that their manager Eddie Howe has expressed an interest in Southampton fringe player Gary Keenan

Several fans have already written to local papers stating that they would consider boycotting the club should a former Saints player tarnish the proud tradition of AFC Bournemouth"

Nothing changes :lol:

Started afresh last week. Season 3 and finished 11th in the Prem. Cacares is a star player, got an aging Anelka up front and just signed Muntari on a free. 4th season currently top after 4 straight wins at the start of the season against the weaker teams.

After the end of my third season and guiding Saints to a 9th place finish in the Prem, reigning champions Arsenal offered me a contract of £81k p.w. and a huge transfer budget, so now I'm the new Arsene Wenger and in my third friendly I am currently tearing Hibernian a new one.

My career so far...

Unemployed with Sunday League reputation > Thurrock > Bradford City > S****horpe > Guinea > Ghana > Leeds United > England > Roma > Ajax > Liverpool > Aston Villa

I apply for any job I see as a career progression.

Highlights -

Getting S****horpe promoted to League One

Getting Leeds promoted to the Premier League

Winning African Cup of Nations with Ghana

Winning the Dutch Cup with Ajax

Winning the Dutch League with Ajax

Finishing 2nd in the Premier League with Aston Villa

Winning the FA Cup with Aston Villa

Lowlights -

Getting sacked by Bradford City

Getting relegated from League One with S****horpe United

Getting sacked by Roma after a tycoon takeover

Getting sacked by Liverpool

I probably have more fun with a career game like this than I do managing Southampton. I did apply for the Saints job on a number of occasions but they turned me down, now I'm too good for them! :D

Edited by Matthew Le God

I guess my brief highlights so far are getting Saints promoted to the Prem within two consecutive seasons, and then spending ca £80m with Arsenal with the aim of doing the treble (leading the prem and in the semis of the CL & FA cup) £60m of that spent on Edinson Cavani from Parma in January who so far has scored 24 goals in 19 games! Oh yes, and taking every opportunity to slag off Radomir Antic who took over from me at Saints and has led them straight back to the NPC.

I was thinking about going for some national jobs, but I'm running quite a small database, will that restrict things? Also I seem to remember on earlier versions national jobs weren't that involved, what's it like on this version?

The game gets a lot less fun when there's fewer 'real' players about imo. Had a career game with Scotland on FM09 which took me up until 2031, all the regens were awesome and it got a bit boring really.

I tend to agree unless I stick with Saints or find a project I get really into (like my epic Alfreton Town save on FM08 ).

Speaking of boring - i'm currently playing my Level 10 game, i'm managing my hometown team (Hartley Wintney) in the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties Division 1. I've built a team which could probably reach the play-offs in the Conference (unrealistic) and i'm winning every game by about 5 or 6 goals. The annoying thing is that it's going to be at least 4 seasons until i'm at any kind of competitive level, but if I holiday then i'll lose all my decent players as they're all on amateur contracts and I can't offer them PT/FT contracts, which means that bigger clubs will poach them.

Also - our average attendance is appalling considering our league record (Pld 25, Won 23, For 113, Conc 14, Pts 71 and 10pts clear at the top of the table). We're averaging about 40 people per game in a 4000 stadium, whereas second-placed Eversley are averaging 423 people. I DON'T GET IT! Hartley were relegated to that league last season IRL as well, so we ought to have a higher reputation than Eversley. The board still haven't done a fan day yet, p!ssed off that you can't suggest one.

• 1 month later...

finished the first season of my level 10 game. i got employed by cadbury heath managed to fininsh 1st. promoted from the toolstation div 1 league and win the lvl 10 cup. managed to get the board to turn the club semi professional so i could sign players onto contracts and extra fitness,physios and coachs. didnt want to lose my best players half way through the season again.

currently sitting top of the cherry red records combined counties league premiere divsion after 10 games

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I agree. Managing Saints I'm too biassed, too impatient and too unwilling to leave, so it closes doors. I like to either pick somewhere random or start unemployed as you have. Whenever I've won the Champion's League at a top club I've tended to apply for obscure jobs or low level leagues for a new challenge, to shock the media!

I tried this, I got Luton promoted, then Saints offered me the job and I couldn't turn it down, cue then turning down every other job as I had my saints project.

boo

• 2 weeks later...

I signed a player in the summer window. He played my first 7 games then got injured and was out for 4 months. With a week until he was back from injury he was unhappy as he wasnt getting games. So I made a promise that he would get games, which he got. Then he got injured for another 4-6 weeks. after 4 weeks he handed in a transfer request because he wanted to play. WTF?