The Boxing Day Meet

dune

I've no particular axe to grind re hunting (by the way, the Con-Dems have said that there is no chance of the free vote taking place in 2011), but the hunt is an inefficient way of controlling foxes.

I used to assist in the running of a pheasant shoot and we had a few problems with foxes. The hunt was invited in and the foxes simply moved to land where the hunt couldn't go and then returned when the hunt was over. We had a lot more success with a few good guns.

exactly

Hypothetical question for Dune.

Lets say you have been convicted, rightly or wrongly of a heinous crime and sentenced to death. The judge gives you a choice, you can be shot by a trained marksman, or you Can run round a field for a bit chased by angry hungry dogs, who will wait till you tire, catch you, then rip you to pieces.

I assume you would choose the latter, more humane, option?

The beauty of hunting foxes over shooting is that it is more sporting and humane. The chase ensures a healthy but controlled population. Diseased and old foxes have less chance of escape, whilst healthy foxes have more chance of escape. Hunting is essentially a natural method of pest control.

Lamping is effective although if the person with the gun isn't a good shot a fox can be left maimed and die a slow painful death. With hunting the fox either lives or it dies.

The beauty of hunting foxes over shooting is that it is more sporting and humane. The chase ensures a healthy but controlled population. Diseased and old foxes have less chance of escape, whilst healthy foxes have more chance of escape. Hunting is essentially a natural method of pest control.

Lamping is effective although if the person with the gun isn't a good shot a fox can be left maimed and die a slow painful death. With hunting the fox either lives or it dies.

Lets wound you a bit with a gun,then lets see a pack of hounds rip you to pieces slowly,then tell me which one is the more painful?

I just dont get this mentality country folk have.Fox hunting(as we know it), was originally introduced by the so called upper classes as something for them to do.Normal country people never dressed up in those stupid outfits and shouted "Tally ho",every two minutes.

The arguement that those in the country use is that its always been done to control foxes,foxes have been introduced where there were none,so therefore that arguement is rubbish.

Also if its only weak and old foxes that die,how come huntsmen dig out the foxes in their dens?Hardly a sport?

Its just plain murder of animals,nothing more.

I just dont get this mentality country folk have.

No, you don't get it, and furthermore most Townies are just as ignorant. They watch Emmerdale or A Place In The Country and think they know it all. It's amazing how many Townies want to move to the countryside because their own cities are filthy crime riddled cess pits. How about sorting out your cities before you try telling us what to do?

No, you don't get it, and furthermore most Townies are just as ignorant. They watch Emmerdale or A Place In The Country and think they know it all. It's amazing how many Townies want to move to the countryside because their own cities are filthy crime riddled cess pits. How about sorting out your cities before you try telling us what to do?

Sort of proves my theory.

Personally, I think the folk that take part in these hunts have a little tiny bit of their brains missing. Maybe it's the result of generation upon generation of in-breeding.

They're probably all freemasons as well. Nutters, the lot of them.

but im sure you have no issue in scoffing the flesh of living things most evenings for your pleasure..?

but im sure you have no issue in scoffing the flesh of living things most evenings for your pleasure..?

Battery farming doesn't have a pleasure element to it so that makes it OK. Oh and there's no jealous social prejudices to satisfy.

As in any industry there are good practices and appalling ones. Some shoots are well managed with stocking densities more in line with natural levels. However even the Game Conservancy Trust, the professional association / lobbyist think stocking of 1,000 birds per hectare and culling any wildlife which might compete with the birds is not only acceptable but sustainable. http://www.gwct.org.uk/education__advice/gamebird_management/gamebird_releasing/1188.asp. Remember when reading it that this is considered 'best practice' in the industry. Many shoots ignore it. This is a typical thread showing the problems overstocking causes for farmers, let alone local wildlife. http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40817 This is an old article, but it summarises the issues, which still hold true today. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/oct/07/ruralaffairs.hunting

There are indeed good and bad shoots. Where I was, the birds were hatched on the estate and reared in large pens in the woods, where they had plenty of room to grow and develop their wings.

The shoot was invitation only and if you didn't behave, you weren't invited back. The worst ones tend to be those that are run for profit, where anyone can pay to take part. I've heard horror stories of City wide boys who've made a bit of money coming to these shoots and blasting away at everything that moves. You go to a pheasant shoot to shoot pheasants, not crows, rooks, seagulls or anything else that flies. I've even heard of them taking pot shots at rabbits, regardless of the fact that there's a line of beaters coming towards them.

The idea that people who live in rural areas have been there for generations and are 'country folk' isnt true in many parts of the country.

DEFRA did some interesting research a few years ago looking for reasons for the decline of farming and the lack of young people going in to it (the average age of a farmer is now 58 ). They found most tenant farmers and farm workers now live in towns and commute to their place of work because rural property is generally more expensive and 'desirable' and they have been priced out by professionals commuting into the cities to work.

In any 'pretty' village within 1 hours commuting time from a city you are more likely to find accountants and surveyors playing at being country folk and keeping a few chickens (and letting the foxes in and feeding them wrongly) than anyone born and raised there.

Edited by buctootim

It would be interesting to see your family tree, and it would also be interesting to see the family trees of the hundreds of thousands of other so called 'country folk' currently populating the countryside. For example my mother's side decends from residents of Sholing and Romsey who moved down towards Lepe/Calshot in the 1960s but my father's side are at least 'fourth generation' countryside. You might say I'm 'half country'.

Before you start telling us 'townies' how you live in the countryside, it might be worth considering what constitutes someone of 'country stock' in your opinion.

Actually Dune crime tends to be worse in the country,than cities statisticaly.

Also i grew up in an area just outside Southampton,which was all fields and had a few farms dotted around.I can even remember cows being driven on the main roads(yes i feel old).This area is now built up a bit more and is now incorporated into the city.

As i did then,i still think hunting foxes,stags,badgers is cruel and should never be brought back.

A few more pics including the golden eagle that the hunt take out with them to comply with the law. Unfortunately sometimes the hounds make the kill, but because they have the eagle the intent was clearly to use it.:)

apmqc.jpg

hz7yu.jpg

e9cfb.jpg

udgv.jpg

83ak.jpg

xbfg.jpg

The Golden Eagle used to be widespread in England but was shot and poisoned to extinction by gamekeepers. A small population is recovering in Scotland.

With the ammount of people living in England now there's few places it could survive in the wild now. Yet another price we've had to pay for our open door immigration policy.

To be fair, I think you're mixing up your arguments and making yourself look a bit silly.

Plants are living things, so too are vegetables, did you have any regrets when you were stuffing those [ex]living things down your throat on your meat free Christmas feast.

How about flies and maggots, they too are living things, should we ban fly sprays?

What about wasp traps, and their awful inhumane drowning of the poor living wasps, what a way to go eh, spending your last remaining minutes on the planet drowning in an empty coke bottle.

If you feel that strongly about the poor little foxes, why not get in the way of the hunts and stop them from chasing poor little Basil?

Did I say I use fly sprays or kill anything of that kind? Was I having an attack at anyone that does? Think you are actually being silly.

My argument is against the inhumane ways in which these foxes and in some cases other "mammals" are killed. I think there would be plenty of relevant science to be able to dismiss your stupid comparison between eating lettuce and ripping a fox apart till it dies. Stupid man. Thanks Verbal for helping my point get through (shouldn't have to).

If the law can't stop these bloodthirsty assholes from this pathetic sport then I'm not about to throw myself in front of their horses to stop them. Doesn't mean I won't express my absolute disgust for them though.

what are peoples thought on fishing...pretty harsh, no..?

One of the worst but most accepted forms of torture. Sitting on the deck of a boat suffocating to death. It's the amount of fish that die but arent used because they were caught by mistake that bothers me. But think that's a whole other debate for another thread me thinks.

what are peoples thought on fishing...pretty harsh, no..?

Yes, but it is not perceived as socially exclusive and so it's absolutely tickety-boo for your casual class-warrior, despite the clear fact that it is cruel. Parliamentary time spent on aboloshing this would actually require some resolve and moral conviction from politicians and the public rather than just taking a much easier prejudicial swipe at a bunch of people they don't like.

Edited by benjii

One of the worst but most accepted forms of torture. Sitting on the deck of a boat suffocating to death. It's the amount of fish that die but arent used because they were caught by mistake that bothers me. But think that's a whole other debate for another thread me thinks.

Well, it is obviously a different kettle of fish but it does illustrate rather nicely the manifest absurdity of the amount of parliamentary time and resource wasted on ****ing fox hunting.

i assume you are morally outraged at the toffs for this..?

i thought you wanted to get the strong ones that steal chickens?

Hasnt it been shown that fish dont have a pain reflex? (not sure on this)

The perfect example of an oxymoron

i thought it was about killing animals for fun..?

So whats your point? You think by trying to make out chasing a mammal on horseback with dogs and tearing it apart is the same as hooking a fish and mostly returning it to the water then you have won the argument?

I enjoy fly fishing and carp fishing. When fishing for carp I only use barbless hooks, an unhooking mat to proect them (if necessary) and never put them in a keep net, when I fish for trout I use barbed hooked flies because I don't return them and a tap on the head with a priest and they're dead instantly. Playing the fish is good sport and it's fun and it's nice to spend a day at one with nature (with a few beers). Do you object to this?

Edited by dune

Well sidestepped. Now answer my question, which would you choose if it was you on the recieving end?

I enjoy fly fishing and carp fishing. When fishing for carp I only use barbless hooks, an unhooking mat to proect them (if necessary) and never put them in a keep net, when I fish for trout I use barbed hooked flies because I don't return them and a tap on the head with a priest and they're dead instantly. Playing the fish is good sport and it's fun. Do you object to this?

So your happy to dispatch an animal that probably can't feel pain instantly, but you prefer an animal that can clearly feel fear and pain to be ripped to bits, rather than shot humanely and quickly. You couldn't make it up...

Well sidestepped. Now answer my question, which would you choose if it was you on the recieving end?

You cannot compare a firing squad with shooting a fox. A fox isn't stood against a wall, it's a moving target and therefore I think it's less humane to shoot a fox because there's a chance it will be maimed and it will die slowly. With hunting it either lives or it dies. That is natures way.

You cannot compare a firing squad with shooting a fox. A fox isn't stood against a wall, it's a moving target and therefore I think it's less humane to shoot a fox because there's a chance it will be maimed and it will die slowly.

And theres also a very good chance it will die pretty much instantly, especially with a trained marksman using the correct type of round.

With hunting it either lives or it dies. That is natures way.

Nature intended things to be ripped apart, slowly, terrified and in absolute agony? I bow to your superior knowledge then.

And theres also a very good chance it will die pretty much instantly, especially with a trained marksman using the correct type of round.

Nature intended things to be ripped apart, slowly, terrified and in absolute agony? I bow to your superior knowledge then.

do animals not do this to each other..?

With the ammount of people living in England now there's few places it could survive in the wild now. Yet another price we've had to pay for our open door immigration policy.

Brilliant! You should send this to the Mail. Or maybe we could get a Princess Di angle on it too and send it to the Express? Superb work, dune.