The Boxing Day Meet

dune

I am not saying that it is all about the hunt no, but generally take away the gentry and you take away the hunt.

It is however, on any level a desire to be thrilled by the extinguishing of life, which however you look at it...is sick.

Take away the gentry and take away the hunt?????????????????????

Are you sure...... You are so wrong, I would go as far as to say the gentry keep it within the realms of acceptability.

I am not saying that it is all about the hunt no, but generally take away the gentry and you take away the hunt.

It is however, on any level a desire to be thrilled by the extinguishing of life, which however you look at it...is sick.

and all of the associated employs, meaning more overcrowding in cities and lower wages and diminished workers rights as people resort to the dog eat dog mentality, sorry dune that should read 'hound eat hound'.

Depends whether you think a patchwork of sterile monocultures - areas set aside to produce one species and one species only, and eliminating any non target species is 'amazingly well managed'.

Again, you are so far off reality, that you dont deserve a voice.

However much you hate it, you should at least investigate it a bit more, before coming out with such sweeping statements

Are you sure...... You are so wrong, I would go as far as to say the gentry keep it within the realms of acceptability.

Your detracting from the main point that smirking_saint and many others are making that regardless of class of inbreds taking part in this it is sick, wrong and those that think otherwise don't deserve a place on this planet themselves.

Again, you are so far off reality, that you dont deserve a voice.

However much you hate it, you should at least investigate it a bit more, before coming out with such sweeping statements

Really? I've worked in the field for 20 years and have personally given away £85 million in environmental grants to organisations as diverse as the Soil Association and BASC. I have spent most days out in the field of every kind of agricultural, game and conservation terrain. Out of the two us - you come a very distant second. Your ignorance is palpable.

Really? I've worked in the field for 20 years and have personally given away £85 million in environmental grants to organisations as diverse as the Soil Association and BASC. I have spent most days out in the field of every kind of agricultural, game and conservation terrain. Out of the two us - you come a very distant second. Your ignorance is palpable.

You really havent personally given 85 million, so stop talking complete and utter boloocks

it's not a class thing and massively unfair imo. it is as popular, if not moreso, amongst the working people as it amongst the toffs.

i would not persoanlly wish to be a specator at these events but i would be equally girly walking into a bernard matthews shed....but i have to eat. by the same token i would not be too happy with a bunch of sabs blocking my entrance. just as with testing cosmetics on animals, we all like to have clean hair and smell nice which in itself does not justify the testing but does explain why there is a market which sadly requires that chemicals are squiretd into something's eyes.

There are better ways of scientific testing though, you do not have to squirt things in anythings eyes anymore to know what sort of damage it can do, that is an economical issue. It is much cheaper to squirt 'acid' at something and look at the effects other than paying for the 'acid' to be tested properly, and that is what is wrong.

As for bernard matthews, i do not buy processed crap. Food of that ilk is the reason that we have so many health issues these days. I try whenever reasonably possible to buy higher wealthfare meats such as free range poultry products etc. Obviously i fall down and buy the odd thing some times, everyone does.

Im converted, If it's the thrill of the hunt that's the key thing and it's ok to chase and kill living things then pro fox hunters amongst us do please release your children into a field and pass me a gun because if you condone such mindless killing I'll happily take a shot. Pests are pests, right?...

So you have pretty much admitted that even in your pro hunt world it barely limits within the realms of acceptability then ??

I sort of understand why people are annoyed but I really think there are much more important things to worry about than if a few posh people want to kill a fox. I'm hardly going to foam at the mouth or be outraged about it. However 'cruel' you believe it to be it certainly doesn't warrant that reaction.

Typical civil service attitude to money. No wonder we are where we are.

Shoots where birds are put down in open fields shortly before a shoot exist exactly because they dont require a gamekeeper or mixed woodland / open terrain. Its easy to have a shoot anywhere you have a field - usually close to major populations centres so people dont have the inconvenience of travelling. Even those shoots where the birds are supposedly 'traditionally' managed source the birds from intensive rearing farms, by all means not all as bad as in this video, but oftentimes not much better. Stocking densities are also ludicrously high and the birds remain unable to forage. In fact if you want to know about the practices in much of the pheasant shooting industry ask reputable landowners who are unable to compete because their land offers naturally bred birds - much fewer in number per hectare and which jink and fly too fast for clients used to easier prey.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7811779192749638927#docid=-1263012529396562074

Which feed do you give you chickens? Ill check out the content for you.

No offence Buctootim but what you have written is complete and absolute rubbish with some exception about some of the rearing practices.

I feed my chickens corn - straight from the field.

living in Devon I know of people that run farms...and had pride in that their livestock as "free range"..(after all..isnt it cruel to keep chickhens couped up in their hundreds..?)

and with he increases in fox attacks, people I know have taken matters in their own hands to protect their lively hood...

and it certainly is not pleasent for the foxes at all far worse than a hunt

foxes are vermin..same as rats etc

just that people see foxe in a "cute" way because they resemble mans best friend...

I wonder if thorpie or liquidshok cry for foxes whilst they shovelled the flesh of other animals down their throat on xmas day...which was also for "satisfaction"

If you bothered to read the whole thread you'd see that was already discussed and would know that I did not shovel any animals flesh down my throat and haven't done for 5 years. I got enough satisfaction out if the sprouts on Christmas day :)

living in Devon I know of people that run farms...and had pride in that their livestock as "free range"..(after all..isnt it cruel to keep chickhens couped up in their hundreds..?)

and with he increases in fox attacks, people I know have taken matters in their own hands to protect their lively hood...

and it certainly is not pleasent for the foxes at all far worse than a hunt

thats good we dont have farms in Hampshire

as discussed earlier, shooting would be more humane

Gemmel

Its you that is being unreasonable by not accepting other posters points of view. You seem to pour scorn on others posters points

if I am talking ****e the you are full of diahrreoa. The hunt is something that is british , While I do not agree with the actual kill of the fox. There is something seasonal about the gathering of the the fox hunt or what ever the PC word is for it.

The way the treat animals overseas is far more barbaric than anything we see in the UK. Even hunting is banned in scotland at present due to the cold weather and the effect on wildlife. It wouldnt happen in europe or the america or canada.

just that people see foxe in a "cute" way because they resemble mans best friend...

I wonder if thorpie or liquidshok cry for foxes whilst they shovelled the flesh of other animals down their throat on xmas day...which was also for "satisfaction"

So why were foxes introduced by huntsmen in the hitherto fox-free Isle of Wight?

Great.. More guns in the uk

I agree with TDD. The last thing we want is for the rural masses to become equipped with guns. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that after a few months of foxes eating their chickens, these people are going to become angry and who are they going to take their fury out on? That's right, the urban people, the policy makers. If you thought the student protests were bad, wait till the rural folk descend on the towns, armed to the teeth, angry about the fox situation. On your heads be it - but let me make it clear - if the PC brigade won't let the rich people kill foxes, then they are forcing them to come to the towns to kill people.

No offence Buctootim but what you have written is complete and absolute rubbish with some exception about some of the rearing practices.

I feed my chickens corn - straight from the field.

As in any industry there are good practices and appalling ones. Some shoots are well managed with stocking densities more in line with natural levels. However even the Game Conservancy Trust, the professional association / lobbyist think stocking of 1,000 birds per hectare and culling any wildlife which might compete with the birds is not only acceptable but sustainable. http://www.gwct.org.uk/education__advice/gamebird_management/gamebird_releasing/1188.asp. Remember when reading it that this is considered 'best practice' in the industry. Many shoots ignore it. This is a typical thread showing the problems overstocking causes for farmers, let alone local wildlife. http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40817 This is an old article, but it summarises the issues, which still hold true today. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/oct/07/ruralaffairs.hunting

If you are only feeding your chickens corn this is likely why they arent laying well, they arent getting enough protein. You need to add some pellets or mash, but not fish meal. Lack of access to fresh clean water can also be an issue, especially during freezing weather.

Edited by buctootim

I agree with TDD. The last thing we want is for the rural masses to become equipped with guns. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that after a few months of foxes eating their chickens, these people are going to become angry and who are they going to take their fury out on? That's right, the urban people, the policy makers. If you thought the student protests were bad, wait till the rural folk descend on the towns, armed to the teeth, angry about the fox situation. On your heads be it - but let me make it clear - if the PC brigade won't let the rich people kill foxes, then they are forcing them to come to the towns to kill people.

No they won't. If the rurals turn up on my Westminster townhouse doorstep in their silly foxfur hats, I'll set the mastiff on them. Tear them limb from limb.

That's what I think too.

Tally Bally Ho!

All that ******** needs to be done away with; the countryside needs to be modernised socially. Coming from said countryside I am licensed to comment on the state of it before dunce pipes up.

What because yopu watch Emmerdale?

No, because I come from the countryside cretin, HTH.

:lol:

That told you Sergei.

Tesco is bloody manic, took me ages to park and i then had to queue for ages !!

Still, got some decent meat bargains for xmas, and got a decent sized chicken for a quid that i am now roasting up for tonight with some butternut squash, asparagus, spuds, shallots, brocolli/cauli and cabbage. Also made my own stuffing and parsely, salt and pepper butter baste mmmmm

Whats for dinner tonight then chaps ?

I've already mentioned that I only buy free range chicken partly because it's raised more slowly and thus tastes better and partly because i'm against intensive chicken/egg production for ethical reasons.

You are a typical townie with your sanctimonious and ignorant views of country pursuits whilst at the same time turning a blind eye to intensive farming and financially supporting it.

I would suggest to all those who like to crusade against country pursuits to attend a game fair (preferably the CLA game fair) and you'll see how much countryside people that hunt and shoot care for the environment.

I've already mentioned that I only buy free range chicken partly because it's raised more slowly

I also only buy chickens that are raised more slowly. We have quite a lot in common, Dune. I don't like the way those intensive farmers raise their chickens more quickly.

Hypothetical question for Dune.

Lets say you have been convicted, rightly or wrongly of a heinous crime and sentenced to death. The judge gives you a choice, you can be shot by a trained marksman, or you Can run round a field for a bit chased by angry hungry dogs, who will wait till you tire, catch you, then rip you to pieces.

I assume you would choose the latter, more humane, option?

No, because they are living things. Could be any animal as far as I'm concerned.

To be fair, I think you're mixing up your arguments and making yourself look a bit silly.

Plants are living things, so too are vegetables, did you have any regrets when you were stuffing those [ex]living things down your throat on your meat free Christmas feast.

How about flies and maggots, they too are living things, should we ban fly sprays?

What about wasp traps, and their awful inhumane drowning of the poor living wasps, what a way to go eh, spending your last remaining minutes on the planet drowning in an empty coke bottle.

If you feel that strongly about the poor little foxes, why not get in the way of the hunts and stop them from chasing poor little Basil?

When hunting was rightly banned,we had all the huntsmen moaning that jobs would be lost and their way of life finished.

Yet here we are and no jobs have gone and they can ride around doing drag hunting in their silly outfits for as long as they like.

Still i bet they disregard the poor dogs when they are too old,like they normally do.

To be fair, I think you're mixing up your arguments and making yourself look a bit silly.

Plants are living things, so too are vegetables, did you have any regrets when you were stuffing those [ex]living things down your throat on your meat free Christmas feast.

How about flies and maggots, they too are living things, should we ban fly sprays?

What about wasp traps, and their awful inhumane drowning of the poor living wasps, what a way to go eh, spending your last remaining minutes on the planet drowning in an empty coke bottle.

If you feel that strongly about the poor little foxes, why not get in the way of the hunts and stop them from chasing poor little Basil?

Don't be such a supercilious pedant. His point is clear enough - you only need to change the words living things to mammal. I love the unintentionally ironic 'to be fair'...before launching into your reductio ad absurdum.

Edited by Verbal

I've no particular axe to grind re hunting (by the way, the Con-Dems have said that there is no chance of the free vote taking place in 2011), but the hunt is an inefficient way of controlling foxes.

I used to assist in the running of a pheasant shoot and we had a few problems with foxes. The hunt was invited in and the foxes simply moved to land where the hunt couldn't go and then returned when the hunt was over. We had a lot more success with a few good guns.