The Boxing Day Meet

dune

There are oh so many questions that you avoid ! As for foxes, it depends on whether you conside them vermin requiring 'control', which I do not, ( and please take into account I live in a very rural area, and keep rabbits and chickens ). If I were to feel the need I would rather trap them and move them, but if killing was necessary, shooting them is the most humane way.

On the subject of effective control of foxes, how many avoid the kill ?

Do you believe badgers spread bovine TB and should be gassed ? IMO another foolish and misguided injustice.

Trap them and move them! How absurd - pass your problem onto somebody else! Foxes are vermin. How do you pen your chickens in?

So you are very happy for cattle to be slaughtered (what about their rights?) and people to lose their living. You clearly are more suburban than rural if you have not witnessed the explosion in badgers in the last decade. Ever wondered where the hedgehogs have gone or the bees?

You come from the countryside but just never fitted into the community and had to leave?

I lived there until I was 18, realised that there was more to experience in life than the self contained, delusional, archaic bubble that you and the rest of countryside is surrounded with and got the **** out as soon as I could. I suggest you do the same, you need to take part in twenty-first century living.

I lived there until I was 18, realised that there was more to experience in life than the self contained, delusional, archaic bubble that you and the rest of countryside is surrounded with and got the **** out as soon as I could. I suggest you do the same, you need to take part in twenty-first century living.

What internet forums? DiMaybe you should have joined in a bit instead of being judgemental and intolerant.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov
again to harsh

This is probably less cruel than keeping a goldfish in a bowl or a small mammal in a cage and is certainly less cruel than many intensive farming techniques yet for some reason it receives a completely disproportionate level of publicity. Why? Class envy? Ignorance? The inherently evocative and dramatic imagery involved?

This is probably less cruel than keeping a goldfish in a bowl or a small mammal in a cage and is certainly less cruel than many intensive farming techniques yet for some reason it receives a completely disproportionate level of publicity. Why? Class envy? Ignorance? The inherently evocative and dramatic imagery involved?

For me personally what I find abhorrent is people taking enjoyment in killing things. I know it isnt particualrly more cruel than battery hens or intensively reared pigs, which is why I opt for free range and eat more lamb. I probably wouldnt have banned fox hunting or hare coursing because in the greater scheme of things it makes buger all difference. Fox hunting is probably marginally less cruel than factory breeding of thousands of fat, slow moving low flying pheasants which are released from the back of a truck so that bad shots can bag a few dozen in an afternoon. It still stinks though.

What internet forums? DiMaybe you should have joined in a bit instead of being judgemental and intolerant.

Well done in editing all your posts. Why don't you PM me if you think you've been 'too harsh' so we can discuss it? You realise you're currently posting on an internet forum as well? Why would I want to join in with retarded activities such as shooting and fox hunting? For ****s by ****s.

You're the sort of moronic individual that the countryside needs to rid itself of if they are to join the 21st Century and therefore the rest of the Western World. If it was up to you, I'm sure all the paupers would still be gleaning. I'll expalin this by the way if you're "new countryside", don't worry.

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

Well done in editing all your posts. Why don't you PM me if you think you've been 'too harsh' so we can discuss it? You're the sort of moronic individual that the countryside needs to rid itself of if they are to join the 21st Century and therefore the rest of the Western World.

What are your plans for us country folk Thorpy? Imprisonment? Ralf Harris re-education seminars? line us up and throw fair trade oranges at us? I am not sure that with your worldwide experience whether you are Michael Palin or a sort of internet forum version of Pol Pot with plans to 'modernise' the countryside. With over 4000 posts to your name (on this forum alone) you plan to change the world with your keyboard.

What are your plans for us country folk Thorpy? Imprisonment? Ralf Harris re-education seminars? line us up and throw fair trade oranges at us? I am not sure that with your worldwide experience whether you are Michael Palin or a sort of internet forum version of Pol Pot with plans to 'modernise' the countryside. With over 4000 posts to your name (on this forum alone) you plan to change the world with your keyboard.

Is it really that hard to keep the foxes out? If you really care for your chickens as much as you imply then it's your responsibility to invest in keeping the foxes out.... But that would take away your bloodthirsty desire to see them ripped apart wouldn't it. Sick bastards the lot of ya.

Is it really that hard to keep the foxes out? If you really care for your chickens as much as you imply then it's your responsibility to invest in keeping the foxes out.... But that would take away your bloodthirsty desire to see them ripped apart wouldn't it. Sick bastards the lot of ya.

I like my chickens to be free range - the yokes are orange and they enjoy life. Foxes are vermin and I am not really fussed how they are dealt with. Hunting them is the most humane way to kill them but the most ineffective. I am not one to judge people; I find it as unsavoury as you do people who hunt. My experience of hunting people is 30% dreadful and 70% good honest folk who I have a pint with and a good chat with when they come into my local.

For me personally what I find abhorrent is people taking enjoyment in killing things. I know it isnt particualrly more cruel than battery hens or intensively reared pigs, which is why I opt for free range and eat more lamb. I probably wouldnt have banned fox hunting or hare coursing because in the greater scheme of things it makes buger all difference. Fox hunting is probably marginally less cruel than factory breeding of thousands of fat, slow moving low flying pheasants which are released from the back of a truck so that bad shots can bag a few dozen in an afternoon. It still stinks though.

You would be very surprised how the law recognises free range. Pheasant shooting is not practiced like this at all. The only thing I may agree with is that corporate shooting is an unpleasant side effect of having to make it pay. You should eat pheasant it is a very enjoyable and you know that they have lived in the wild and that the toffs are subsidising its low price.

You would be very surprised how the law recognises free range. Pheasant shooting is not practiced like this at all. The only thing I may agree with is that corporate shooting is an unpleasant side effect of having to make it pay. You should eat pheasant it is a very enjoyable and you know that they have lived in the wild and that the toffs are subsidising its low price.

Im surprised your free range chickens have orange yolks, unless some kind of colourant is added to the feed. Free range undoctored egg yolks are normally pale, especially in winter.

Some pheasant shooting absolutely is practiced like this - admittedly mostly shoots geared to novice shots who want easy and cheap sport, but Ive personally witnessed intensively reared birds being chased out of trucks and scared into labouring into the air for a hundred metres or sountil they are shot. I don't mind eating phesant, but am too lightwight to eat it well hung.

I like my chickens to be free range - the yokes are orange and they enjoy life. Foxes are vermin and I am not really fussed how they are dealt with. Hunting them is the most humane way to kill them but the most ineffective. I am not one to judge people; I find it as unsavoury as you do people who hunt. My experience of hunting people is 30% dreadful and 70% good honest folk who I have a pint with and a good chat with when they come into my local.

So you want your chickens to be free range yet you won't give that right to foxes? Are you a hypocrite or just plain selfish? You don't care how foxes are dealt with yet your chickens deserve to live? I would give you a bit of respect if you showed any sign of respect for equality amongst living things yet as you dont and only value those living things that benefit you just makes you a ****.

Im surprised your free range chickens have orange yolks, unless some kind of colourant is added to the feed. Free range undoctored egg yolks are normally pale, especially in winter.

Some pheasant shooting absolutely is practiced like this - admittedly mostly shoots geared to novice shots who want easy and cheap sport, but Ive personally witnessed intensively reared birds being chased out of trucks and scared into labouring into the air for a hundred metres or sountil they are shot. I don't mind eating phesant, but am too lightwight to eat it well hung.

Finally someone who actually sounds like they know what they're talking about.

So you want your chickens to be free range yet you won't give that right to foxes? Are you a hypocrite or just plain selfish? You don't care how foxes are dealt with yet your chickens deserve to live? I would give you a bit of respect if you showed any sign of respect for equality amongst living things yet as you dont and only value those living things that benefit you just makes you a ****.

That is how life is.

You could put them all in a great big shed, thousands of them in one place, and lock the door, that should keep them safe from harm ;)

Some pheasant shooting absolutely is practiced like this - admittedly mostly shoots geared to novice shots who want easy and cheap sport, but Ive personally witnessed intensively reared birds being chased out of trucks and scared into labouring into the air for a hundred metres or sountil they are shot. I don't mind eating phesant, but am too lightwight to eat it well hung.[/quote

Call me what you like but I am not a liar.

Pheasant poults are put down in July and not ten minutes before a shoot (why would you need a game keeper). These pheasants are put in large open release pens til they can look after themselves. They then live a happy life before the season starts in October but generally shooting does not start to the end of the month and then every few weeks afterwards. How many are put down is an issue for me but your description is simply not true. I would add that the aim is to present your pheasants as high as possible and how good a shoot you have is judged on this criteria. I would also say that every year thousands of acres of woodland is planted on managed for this purpose. During this bitterly cold period, wildlife both feather and fur have benefited by the fact these birds are fed daily. Environmentally pheasant shooting is wonderful.

You are clearly mixing up commercial chickens with normal chickens. My surviving chickens have moved to a new pen and out of ten hens I receive two eggs a day because chickens do not genereally lay eggs in winter. Their yokes are still orange but I suspect they may fade as a result of just eating corn and left overs.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

Some pheasant shooting absolutely is practiced like this - admittedly mostly shoots geared to novice shots who want easy and cheap sport, but Ive personally witnessed intensively reared birds being chased out of trucks and scared into labouring into the air for a hundred metres or sountil they are shot. I don't mind eating phesant, but am too lightwight to eat it well hung.[/quote

Call me what you like but I am not a liar.

Pheasant poults are put down in July and not ten minutes before a shoot (why would you need a game keeper). These pheasants are put in large open release pens til they can look after themselves. They then live a happy life before the season starts in October but generally shooting does not start to the end of the month and then every few weeks afterwards. How many are put down is an issue for me but your description is simply not true. I would add that the aim is to present your pheasants as high as possible and how good a shoot you have is judged on this criteria. I would also say that every year thousands of acres of woodland is planted on managed for this purpose. During this bitterly cold period, wildlife both feather and fur have benefited by the fact these birds are fed daily. Environmentally pheasant shooting is wonderful.

You are clearly mixing up commercial chickens with normal chickens. My surviving chickens have moved to a new pen and out of ten hens I receive two eggs a day because chickens do not genereally lay eggs in winter. Their yokes are still orange but I suspect they may fade as a result of just eating corn and left overs.

But why bother with it all? Get a life comes to mind. if you have issues and need to kill then see a psychiatrist.

[Call me what you like but I am not a liar.

Pheasant poults are put down in July and not ten minutes before a shoot (why would you need a game keeper). These pheasants are put in large open release pens til they can look after themselves. They then live a happy life before the season starts in October but generally shooting does not start to the end of the month and then every few weeks afterwards. How many are put down is an issue for me but your description is simply not true.

Shoots where birds are put down in open fields shortly before a shoot exist exactly because they dont require a gamekeeper or mixed woodland / open terrain. Its easy to have a shoot anywhere you have a field - usually close to major populations centres so people dont have the inconvenience of travelling. Even those shoots where the birds are supposedly 'traditionally' managed source the birds from intensive rearing farms, by all means not all as bad as in this video, but oftentimes not much better. Stocking densities are also ludicrously high and the birds remain unable to forage. In fact if you want to know about the practices in much of the pheasant shooting industry ask reputable landowners who are unable to compete because their land offers naturally bred birds - much fewer in number per hectare and which jink and fly too fast for clients used to easier prey.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7811779192749638927#docid=-1263012529396562074

Which feed do you give you chickens? Ill check out the content for you.

In many ways Dune is right we do need to see british traditions maintained, Even the cheese rolling competition has ceased due to health and safety reasons . Bring back conkers instead of banning them or making kids wear safety glasses etc etc etc

THere were schools who apparently banned nativity plays or anything to do with the christian christmas festivities/ carols in case it offended others. Now I have no idea how true this is, as it was reported in a few of the popular press publications.

exactly, look after them properly and its no problem

i disagree

In many ways Dune is right we do need to see british traditions maintained, Even the cheese rolling competition has ceased due to health and safety reasons . Bring back conkers instead of banning them or making kids wear safety glasses etc etc etc

THere were schools who apparently banned nativity plays or anything to do with the christian christmas festivities/ carols in case it offended others. Now I have no idea how true this is, as it was reported in a few of the popular press publications.

I agree! I'll charter a ship tonight. Tomorrow we sail to West Africa to kidnap some natives to sell to some agricultural landowners in the Caribbean! Who's in?

And I can't believe that they killed off conkers by making kids wear health and safety goggles! It makes me mad! Mad, I tell you! Nowadays they just play on their Nintendo DS just so that they don't have to wear the safety goggles. If it weren't for the goggles, they'd be all over the conkers.

And those bloody nativities being banned. I mean, we don't know if it is true as it comes from the tabloids, but that's no reason not to mention it in our argument, is it? Ooh, my blood is boiling. I need to go out and drown some foxhound puppies to calm myself down. And before all you leftie, PC, leftie, speed camera-hugging, leftie, Muslim, paedo lefties start complaining, it's the only humane way of controlling them.

Your being very harsh liquidshok , Go to france or any other european country and see the way they treat animals and birds. If you attend a market in France , chickens , ducks, rabbits are crammed in boxes and cages to be sold . I never hear of any body moaning about that practice, Go to Greek Cyprus and see the way they treat their cattle and chickens etc, oh and while your there open your eyes wide open and see the barbaric hunting process of wild life there. They use nasty traps for animals and Lime sticks to catch birds. the cypriots will eat almost anything or kill anything. Ever wonder why there is a diminishing bird life in this country well I believe a lot has to do with illicit hunting in mediteranean countries using things like lime sticks. If you wan to moan liquid have ago at the real perpertrators of animal and wild life cruelty. I havent even mentioned the chinese ethos od eating anything that moves.

Some hunting activities in the Uk need to be reviewed but we are nowhere as bad as some of our european neighbours

Your being very harsh liquidshok , Go to france or any other european country and see the way they treat animals and birds. If you attend a market in France , chickens , ducks, rabbits are crammed in boxes and cages to be sold . I never hear of any body moaning about that practice, Go to Greek Cyprus and see the way they treat their cattle and chickens etc, oh and while your there open your eyes wide open and see the barbaric hunting process of wild life there. They use nasty traps for animals and Lime sticks to catch birds. the cypriots will eat almost anything or kill anything. Ever wonder why there is a diminishing bird life in this country well I believe a lot has to do with illicit hunting in mediteranean countries using things like lime sticks. If you wan to moan liquid have ago at the real perpertrators of animal and wild life cruelty. I havent even mentioned the chinese ethos od eating anything that moves.

Some hunting activities in the Uk need to be reviewed but we are nowhere as bad as some of our european neighbours

Exactly. Other countries are cruel, so as long as we are slightly less cruel, we can still be cruel. Some people just don't get it, do they mate?

Kadeem I think you are overdosing on camomile tea. Some of the nativy stuff is true. try hugging a tree but make sure it gives you permission to hug it first or you will be sued for tree harassment. You also need to carry out a risk assessment first incase you give to strong a hug and a rotten branch falls on your head during your moment of high sensitivty and connection with the tree

I don't live in those countries.

Fox hunting is barbaric and is carried out by stuck up, inbred c*nts.

i disagree

Would you rather be a battery hen than a wild fox living in a land where fox hunting is allowed?

I'm not saying fox hunting is "nice" and I make no statement about those who do it, but the parliamentary waste of time this complete non-issue has caused it utterly bizarre. There must be a reason as to why it is such a hot-potato? Things that are irrational are usually founded on fear or prejudice.

Kadeem

I do get it mate. but there is a balance to be struck in this debate.

In the event we were all forced to eat salads due to eating meat and fish being banned,you can guaranantee that some extreme group would come to the fore saying eating salads was cruel because lettuce leaves, cucumbers, tomatoes had feelings and a right to life.

It may seem ridiculous but it will happen

smirking saint your5 being rather classist re foxhunting, and I understand where your coming from. I have and never wil go to fox hunting but theres more than just the gentry that take part. Im from the country side and there are as many working class that attend these events

Oh what is your view on badger baiting, the poor mans fox hunting event. both are barbaric but badger baiting is far more hideous in my opinion

Actually Dune is right.

Leave the Countryside to those that understand it.

For those that dont, then just stay away.

Perhaps its you who dont understand it. Industrial production methods are being applied to sports which are presented as natural and traditional. There is nothing traditional about raising pheasants and partridge in battery cages, clearing all 'competing' wildlife from an area, releasing the game birds at densities of 1,000 per acre and then shooting them.

smirking saint your5 being rather classist re foxhunting, and I understand where your coming from. I have and never wil go to fox hunting but theres more than just the gentry that take part. Im from the country side and there are as many working class that attend these events

Oh what is your view on badger baiting, the poor mans fox hunting event. both are barbaric but badger baiting is far more hideous in my opinion

Its all hideous, why anyone would callously want to harm an animal for nothing more then nonsensical reasonings made up only to try and add some sort of excuse for a barbaric and disgusting act is inexcusable.

The killing animals for food arguement is a non starter as well, that is done for a reason and one which is generally done in a more humane way then chasing them out of hiding and allowing a baited group of dogs tear them to pieces.

It has everything to do with the sort of class that attends this meet, ones that wish to impose their will on a lesser being, to feel empowered by the blood, the chase. And it is sick.

So it stays, they are c*nts.

Its all hideous, why anyone would callously want to harm an animal for nothing more then nonsensical reasonings made up only to try and add some sort of excuse for a barbaric and disgusting act is inexcusable.

The killing animals for food arguement is a non starter as well, that is done for a reason and one which is generally done in a more humane way then chasing them out of hiding and allowing a baited group of dogs tear them to pieces.

It has everything to do with the sort of class that attends this meet, ones that wish to impose their will on a lesser being, to feel empowered by the blood, the chase. And it is sick.

It has nothing to do with the sort of class that attends these meets.

There is an agument against.... no doubt, but that isn't it and you are just proving you do not have a clue as to what you are talking about

Perhaps its you who dont understand it. Industrial production methods are being applied to sports which are presented as natural and traditional. There is nothing traditional about raising pheasants and partridge in battery cages, clearing all 'competing' wildlife from an area, releasing the game birds at densities of 1,000 per acre and then shooting them.

I'm sorry i thought we were talking about fox hunting...... you seem to have drifed off topic

It has nothing to do with the sort of class that attends these meets.

There is an agument against.... no doubt, but that isn't it and you are just proving you do not have a clue as to what you are talking about

So it has a reason other than the fact that it is a thrill to kill a simpler being ??

Please pray tell, where am i going wrong in my analysis ?

Absolutely bang on the money. I'm not being harsh at all. What is done in other countries is absolutely irrelevant. We shouldnt base or justify our actions based on what others do. We are a developed country with a humane process of rearing and slaughtering animals for food and anything outside of this is criminal in my eyes. There is no need for this sort of killing in this day and age. Start living in the current age will ya. The people who get a kick out of this sort of thing should be forced to undergo psychological tests cos I don't think they are fit to live in modern society.

it's not a class thing and massively unfair imo. it is as popular, if not moreso, amongst the working people as it amongst the toffs.

i would not persoanlly wish to be a specator at these events but i would be equally girly walking into a bernard matthews shed....but i have to eat. by the same token i would not be too happy with a bunch of sabs blocking my entrance. just as with testing cosmetics on animals, we all like to have clean hair and smell nice which in itself does not justify the testing but does explain why there is a market which sadly requires that chemicals are squiretd into something's eyes.

You stated it was down to class. Which is very wrong and shows you have never been near a hunt.

I am not saying that it is all about the hunt no, but generally take away the gentry and you take away the hunt.

It is however, on any level a desire to be thrilled by the extinguishing of life, which however you look at it...is sick.

The countryside is amazingly well managed by those that understand it

Depends whether you think a patchwork of sterile monocultures - areas set aside to produce one species and one species only, and eliminating any non target species is 'amazingly well managed'.

Edited by buctootim