Is Schneiderlin the difference?

trousers

Record in matches in which Schneiderlin has played:

Played 9 Won 4 (Exeter, Derby, Birmingham, Doncaster) Drawn 1 (Ipswich) Lost 4 (Cardiff, Birmingham, Blackpool, QPR)

Record in matches in which Schneiderlin hasn't played:

Played 5 Won 1 (Norwich) Drawn 1 (Barnsley) Lost 3 (Rotherham, Coventry, Watford)

The stats would support the feeling that we're missing Morgan. Still his club colleague from Strasbourg is fit and training with the first team and he's quoted as saying...

'The manager has said he's curious to see what I can do for the team...'

So am I but I'd like to think JP would know what he can offer?!

Played 9 Won 4 (Exeter, Derby, Birmingham, Doncaster) Drawn 1 (Ipswich) Lost 4 (Cardiff, Birmingham, Blackpool, QPR)

Played 5 Won 1 (Norwich) Drawn 1 (Barnsley) Lost 3 (Rotherham, Coventry, Watford)

Cheers for that. Hmmmm, not a huge differential I suppose, although the 'headline' observation there is that we've lost 44% with him in the team but lost 60% without him.

Verging on the cusp of significance....perhaps

The stats would support the feeling that we're missing Morgan. Still his club colleague from Strasbourg is fit and training with the first team

I've nothing scientific to base this view on but I've got a hunch we'll improve when Schneiderlin and Gasmi play together (I know, I know....we can't but improve at the moment but just a hunch that these two will click for us...)

Cheers for that. Hmmmm, not a huge differential I suppose, although the 'headline' observation there is that we've lost 44% with him in the team but lost 60% without him.

Verging on the cusp of significance....perhaps

p.s. one could also argue that half of the QPR game doesn't count as a 'game lost' stat for Schneiderlin as he came off injured before QPR ran riot (if memory serves me correctly), which would make the win/lose ratio greater in his favour....

More straws please vicar!

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere but, without having had chance to look up the stats, my gut feel is that our results when Schneiderlin has played are far better than when he hasn't.

Any stattos confirm this?

cheers

The loss of Schneiderlin and Holmes has had a massive effect. How many times in the first half a dozen games did Morgan or Gillet look up and fire a 40yd out ball to Holmes who was then looking to take the defence on. The loss of these two players has changed the whole shape of play.

I agree with others that the early ball out wide to Holmes was a decent tactic for us and we have missed it. If Gasmi turns out to be decent, I'd be interested to see how we'd get on with Holmes on the left, Gasmi on the right, Lallana in the hole and Morgan/Surman in centre mid. That could be a very decent midfield.

I'd back Morgan to stick away a pen as well.

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere but, without having had chance to look up the stats, my gut feel is that our results when Schneiderlin has played are far better than when he hasn't.

Any stattos confirm this?

cheers

Morgan hits a mean penalty.Scored in 3 games for France U19s

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think some of the games we have lost he was taken off when the game was still up for grabs. until then we have been in with a decent shout.

IMO he makes a huge difference to our winning or losing. I cant say he does a great deal for our defending but when going forward all good things usually go via him and there is an end product more often that when it hasnt gone through him.

When we get him back in the side we will still need to score 5 to be in with a shout of winning but will have more chance of getting the 5 that without.

The loss of Schneiderlin and Holmes has had a massive effect. How many times in the first half a dozen games did Morgan or Gillet look up and fire a 40yd out ball to Holmes who was then looking to take the defence on. The loss of these two players has changed the whole shape of play.

Didnt the cracker of a goal against QPR have morgan involved too? See to remember Kelvin roling it out to morgan who took the midfield wide and laying the ball off to lallana in space to go on and do the rest.

I know Lallana gets the credit for that but Morgan compliments Lallana and many other players for that matter. The comments about Holmes seem likely to be the same too. I thik Morgan has a knack of creating the right space for the players around him to exploit, the fact that most of his passes seem to get where they are intended too helps allot.

Didnt the cracker of a goal against QPR have morgan involved too? See to remember Kelvin roling it out to morgan who took the midfield wide and laying the ball off to lallana in space to go on and do the rest.

I know Lallana gets the credit for that but Morgan compliments Lallana and many other players for that matter. The comments about Holmes seem likely to be the same too. I thik Morgan has a knack of creating the right space for the players around him to exploit, the fact that most of his passes seem to get where they are intended too helps allot.

Morgan is a great little player, but at his age you can't expect him to play through injuries, like we did with Pahars all those games.At 18 ,you've all your career in front of you,you don't want to be playing week in week out at 60% fit.

Morgan is a great little player, but at his age you can't expect him to play through injuries, like we did with Pahars all those games.At 18 ,you've all your career in front of you,you don't want to be playing week in week out at 60% fit.

oh I know and I wouldnt expect him to either. But I was only agreeing on how much we miss him.

Goes to show what a shower of sh1te is in the rest of the team though when we have to rely on an 18 year old french kid huh.

oh I know and I wouldnt expect him to either. But I was only agreeing on how much we miss him.

Goes to show what a shower of sh1te is in the rest of the team though when we have to rely on an 18 year old french kid huh.

Imagine how he must be feeling,probably on about £2000 a week (or less) far from home and he sees blokes on 5 or 6 times that cacking it in the treatment room week after week after week.

Wouldn't be surprised if he asks to leave in January. He must be thoroughly p!ssed off with what he sees. I know I am and he's even closer.

Imagine how he must be feeling,probably on about £2000 a week (or less) far from home and he sees blokes on 5 or 6 times that cacking it in the treatment room week after week after week.

Wouldn't be surprised if he asks to leave in January. He must be thoroughly p!ssed off with what he sees. I know I am and he's even closer.

wouldnt be surprised at all. only things that will keep any players here is if they are getting paid more for doing sod all or they like the direction the club is going. The managment team have to do allot of convincing to players and fans that we are moving forward and will need us to do a bit more than school boy defending or show signs of signing a decent defence.

maybe then some of our brighter players will want to stick around till the end of the season.

I am living in hope. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Another game without Schneiderlin....another defeat....an update on these stats might be telling....?

I agree with others that the early ball out wide to Holmes was a decent tactic for us and we have missed it. If Gasmi turns out to be decent, I'd be interested to see how we'd get on with Holmes on the left, Gasmi on the right, Lallana in the hole and Morgan/Surman in centre mid. That could be a very decent midfield.

I'd back Morgan to stick away a pen as well.

Used to take them for France U19's, all of them, a foot off the ground, 6 inches inside either post. Clinical, doesn't miss penalties does our Morgan.

Strange that he didn't play on Saturday, it was his birthday, perhaps he had the day off.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I was going to ask why he didn't play but then assumed I'd missed a report about him being injured or suchlike.

Even the OS match-day article doesn't mention why he was left out when they nearly always (if not always) give this sort of team change info.

I'm getting fed up with all this subterfuge about player availability (the lack of tangible news about Skacel last month being another case in point).

Never understood why JP takes Schneidelin off as wwell. We tend to go to pot afterwards.

I'd be interested to see the stats showing games that Wotton has started. He is terrible.

Think JP has taken him off when he has picked up an injury. when ever he has been subbed he has always missed the following game or 2.

would be nice to know why he wasnt playing on sat as hoofball wooton is not a good enough replacment.

Looks set to be offloaded to Arsenal for a reported £5m :(

This stinks to be honest, why can't the board generate funds in some other way? Without selling are best players. The board members are millionaires, so why can't they stick their hands in their pockets for once? Or if not/wont just simply get out & let someone else who can, or everybody will end up losing in the end, in more ways than one!

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/65026/ARSENAL-BOSS-EYES-YOUNG-SAINT-MORGAN.html

Looks set to be offloaded to Arsenal for a reported £5m :(

This stinks to be honest, why can't the board generate funds in some other way? Without selling are best players. The board members are millionaires, so why can't they stick their hands in their pockets for once? Or if not/wont just simply get out & let someone else who can, or everybody will end up losing in the end, in more ways than one!

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/65026/ARSENAL-BOSS-EYES-YOUNG-SAINT-MORGAN.html

because, as their opponents on this forum delight in pointing out, they aren't that rich. I am sure that they would like for nothing better than some mega rich wallah with tons of swans to step in and take the club off their hands.

Trouble is there doesn't seem to be a plethora of candidates who actually have the necessary folding t their disposal. There are pretenders it's true but it would seem that Barclay's,the Shareholders and Aviva aren't convinced by their posturing and pea****ing;

That's quite a profit for ten games of football...i'm struggling to understand why Arsenal didn't go for him in the summer and save themselves 4 million quid...

That's a difficult one to answer;It could well be that they wanted to see how he looked in UK football without the constraints of a long term contract with themselves.

Morgan wanted first team football, we were prepared to give it to him despite his young age. He might not have got so much action at Arsenal. It could well be that they are now willing to listen to Barcelona over Fabregas, they probably have someone in mind to replace him (Belgian kid ,Witzer or something like that)

and have a mind to take on Morgan as well to share the role .

Oh, and updated stats:

With MS:

Played 12, Won 5 (Exeter CC, Derby, Birmingham CC, Doncaster, Preston), Drawn 2 (Ipswich, Coventry), Lost 5 (Cardiff, Birmingham, Blackpool, QPR, Swansea)

%s: Win 42, Lose 42, Draw 16

Without MS:

Played 7, Won 1 (Norwich) Drawn 2 (Barnsley, Sheffield United) Lost 4 (Rotherham, Coventry, Watford, Bristol City)

%s: Win 14, Lose 57, Draw 29

And the rest. There's absolutely no way we paid the reported £1.2m for him.

True. But don't think we'd get 5 million in one lump sum either.

Regardless it's a lot of money when they could have just bought him themselves then loaned him out...doubt they would have ever lost any money on him if he'd turned out to be shoit...

Just doesn't add up for me...but that's football for you...

Oh, and updated stats:

With MS:

Played 12, Won 5 (Exeter CC, Derby, Birmingham CC, Doncaster, Preston), Drawn 2 (Ipswich, Coventry), Lost 5 (Cardiff, Birmingham, Blackpool, QPR, Swansea)

%s: Win 42, Lose 42, Draw 16

Without MS:

Played 7, Won 1 (Norwich) Drawn 2 (Barnsley, Sheffield United) Lost 4 (Rotherham, Coventry, Watford, Bristol City)

%s: Win 14, Lose 57, Draw 29

It would seem to me that having Schneiderlin in front of the defence takes a lot of the pressure off of it. He's a composed lad who can make time and space and change the pace of the game when necessary.Partnered with Surman in the defence midfield roles it makes a lot of difference.

It would seem to me that having Schneiderlin in front of the defence takes a lot of the pressure off of it. He's a composed lad who can make time and space and change the pace of the game when necessary.Partnered with Surman in the defence midfield roles it makes a lot of difference.

I would imagine it's not gone unnoticed at the club either, which would certainly explain why MS was rushed back to "fitness" in order to play at Swansea, where he clearly looked unfit. Unfortunately, an unfit MS is about as useful to us as a chocolate teapot, judging by his performance in that game, so I'm not surprised he's been left out of games where he's been rated as "doubtful". He does seem to pick up a lot of little niggles, which is something that's a bit concerning, particularly as they appear to affect his performances so much.

I would imagine it's not gone unnoticed at the club either, which would certainly explain why MS was rushed back to "fitness" in order to play at Swansea, where he clearly looked unfit. Unfortunately, an unfit MS is about as useful to us as a chocolate teapot, judging by his performance in that game, so I'm not surprised he's been left out of games where he's been rated as "doubtful". He does seem to pick up a lot of little niggles, which is something that's a bit concerning, particularly as they appear to affect his performances so much.

The niggles probably have something to do with the intensity of CCC football.

MS had very little first team experience before he came here, in fact I think he played more games fro France U19s than he did for Strasbourg. Hope the other lads haven't been leading him astray in nightclubs and what have you. That always worries me with SFC, we haven't exactly got the best record on the clubbing and drinking front.

I know someone who knows someone who knows MS, I'll see if I can get

an update for you.

I'm not surprised he's been left out of games where he's been rated as "doubtful". He does seem to pick up a lot of little niggles

If his omission from the team on Saturday was down to a fitness doubt I would have expected the OS to have mentioned this. The OS saying nothing simply adds fuel to the rumour fire, which is surely the opposite effect that the club wanted....?

If his omission from the team on Saturday was down to a fitness doubt I would have expected the OS to have mentioned this. The OS saying nothing simply adds fuel to the rumour fire, which is surely the opposite effect that the club wanted....?

It could conceivably just be that they forgot to mention whatever ailment he may or may not have picked up before Saturday's game. I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but I'll hold fire on this one, methinks... ;)

It could conceivably just be that they forgot to mention whatever ailment he may or may not have picked up before Saturday's game. I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but I'll hold fire on this one, methinks... ;)

True. I usually cite 'sloppy journalism' as a potential explanation candidate but neglected to do so on this occasion!

Used to take them for France U19's, all of them, a foot off the ground, 6 inches inside either post. Clinical, doesn't miss penalties does our Morgan.

Strange that he didn't play on Saturday, it was his birthday, perhaps he had the day off.

This is more evidence that JP is too much of a tinkerman especially with Schneidelin and Wotton. In and out every other week.