Just back from the game

AndyNorthernSaints

The penny has finally dropped then with a much more experienced line up starting tonight.

I was glad to see McGoldrick, James and Wotton dropped.

John proved we need a striker who can acutally hold the ball up and keep possession and even BWP looked lively.

Gillett played well again and all round we looked much more solid.

If only we could convert all the nice football into goals in the last 1/3.

Yes we rode our luck and had Kelvin to thank again for some great saves but i thought the performance and attitude was great tonight.

McGoldrick in his brief appearance proved he lacks the ablity and effort to play at this level.

Shame we cant afford him,this team needs an older player in the squad that they can look upto.

I would say on Beattie's performance tonight he would not have been much to look up to. As has already been said, he looked pretty ordinary tonight and together with his team-mates was frequently caught offside. Their lack of goals was due as much to how shocking they were up front as anything (save perhaps Davis excellent performance in goal). Our defence was caught out of position on more than one occasion, but they did not seem to possess the ability to capitalise.

In short, Beattie was a shadow of his former self!

Good battling result tonight. Team looked rather balanced until Jan started tinkering then I was worried that someone would forget to pick one of the opposition up and we'd give a goal away. McG had a superb chance with a free header but got too much on it. BWP struck a sweet shot across Kenny but he managed to get down for it and finger tip it around the post. This was another small step inthe right direction and please Jan start Chris Perry. He'd have got my man of the match vote but, as usual, Super Kelvin Davis wins that one. As the Americans say he was awesome!!

I would say on Beattie's performance tonight he would not have been much to look up to. As has already been said, he looked pretty ordinary tonight and together with his team-mates was frequently caught offside. Their lack of goals was due as much to how shocking they were up front as anything (save perhaps Davis excellent performance in goal). Our defence was caught out of position on more than one occasion, but they did not seem to possess the ability to capitalise.

In short, Beattie was a shadow of his former self!

He'd still be a vast improvement on those available to us at the moment though...and will score c.25 goals this season.

How did Skacel play ?
He got out-paced by Webber loads of times (but most left-backs in this division would) and looked completely knackered towards the end but looked up for the game. Even waved a couple of times! If he can stay fit we definitely need him in the side.

Overall I thought we played well. We started slowly and then really came into the game towards the end of the first half. BWP had a wonderful chance to put us one up but blazed it over the bar, having said that he had a fairly lively game and seemed up for it. It was good to see Rudi back and considering he has not played much football this season had a decent game. Perry was a rock at the back and I would much rather have Gillet in the team than Wotton any day.

For me I really think we are missing Holmes at the moment. Watching Webber last night just went to show that if you have a player with confidence and pace running at the defence, it just scares the living daylights out of them. We really couldn't handle him in the second half last night.

Just to agree with the other posts David Molgoldrick just does not have it. He looked uninterested last night when he came on and I have no idea how he made it is a pro. He should have scored with a late header but missed by a mile

Agree all round.

Most important thing was it was solid, there was backbone. Even if we struggle I'll be fully behind that all day long.

Still pleanty of room for improvement but we looked much much stronger than recent weeks, best i've seen defensivly all season.

Perry for MOM. He mopped everything up and Lancashire, who i'm still not sure is good enough, looked twice the player with Perry's support.

The other thing that was intresting was, picking the senior players free'd up the likes of Surman and Lallanna. All the United players were more worried about John and BWP.

A good time to play United, didn;t look like they'd spent much time getting ready for the game but nevertheless much better from us.

Skacel was ok, needs a bit of match fitness but that'll come. Got to keep them in the team.

He got out-paced by Webber loads of times (but most left-backs in this division would) and looked completely knackered towards the end but looked up for the game. Even waved a couple of times! If he can stay fit we definitely need him in the side.

when you say `towards the end' don't you really mean he looked tired after about 60 minutes?

I don't understand why Mills played inthe winger role ahead of Skacel. Very strange decision. Despite my lack of love for Skacel I was glad to see him back in the side. No one is going to tell me that Ryan Smith deserves to play ahead of him.

Edited by Chez

Mudering webber on the edge of the box, he looked clean through from where we sat so looks like he may have taken one for the team to gain us a point. Got a standing ovation when he was trudging off. Whats his record now? Played 5 sent off twice?

If thats the case, it sounds as if a second yellow was a bit lenient to be honest.

I'd have to agree with the majority of what has been said on here.

David McGoldrick was the only negative for me, the lad has got a chip on his shoulder and strikes me as a 'rudeboy' type who doesn't give a sh*t about anyone else other than himself.

Apart from that negative the lads were superb last night, a great battling performance and hopefully something we can build on.

Got back very late last night.

Great battling performance.

My mate couldn't come last minute, so asked me to take a couple pictures or videos

Could anyone save me?

Atmosphere was pretty poor from our end I thought last night, great at the end, though.

Got back very late last night.

Great battling performance.

My mate couldn't come last minute, so asked me to take a couple pictures or videos

Could anyone save me?

Atmosphere was pretty poor from our end I thought last night, great at the end, though.

Not surprised travelling to Bolivia!

when you say `towards the end' don't you really mean he looked tired after about 60 minutes?

I don't understand why Mills played inthe winger role ahead of Skacel. Very strange decision. Despite my lack of love for Skacel I was glad to see him back in the side. No one is going to tell me that Ryan Smith deserves to play ahead of him.

Yes thought it was a bit strange Mills playing in front of Rudi but it turned out that Rudi was much more solid in defence than Mills has been. I think Mills has potential to be good but not at left back right now.

I'd like to see Rudi and Surman playing on the left with Gillett and Morgan in central midfield..

It was no surprise that we looked more solid in defence without James and Mills in the fullback roles.

I'd have to agree with the majority of what has been said on here.

David McGoldrick was the only negative for me, the lad has got a chip on his shoulder and strikes me as a 'rudeboy' type who doesn't give a sh*t about anyone else other than himself.

Apart from that negative the lads were superb last night, a great battling performance and hopefully something we can build on.

I think superb might be overstating the case. It's good to get a point. It's good to keep a clean sheet. Some lessons seem to have been learned (like not leaving four opponents unmarked 2 yards from goal). Someone may have finally accepted that we have to play some experienced players in the mix even if it costs.

But we do need to recognise that independent commentators thought Sheff U were very poor by their standards. And KD again still had to make some sharp saves. That said, just maybe we might have begun to become a little more resilient. It is something hopefully the club as a whole will build on.

I think superb might be overstating the case. It's good to get a point. It's good to keep a clean sheet. Some lessons seem to have been learned (like not leaving four opponents unmarked 2 yards from goal). Someone may have finally accepted that we have to play some experienced players in the mix even if it costs.

But we do need to recognise that independent commentators thought Sheff U were very poor by their standards. And KD again still had to make some sharp saves. That said, just maybe we might have begun to become a little more resilient. It is something hopefully the club as a whole will build on.

.. and of course Saints had nothing to do with them playing poorly.

.. and of course Saints had nothing to do with them playing poorly.

So are you saying them being poor was solely down to Saints?

We had to defend 14 corners. KD made some excellent saves. If you think Saints alone made them poor, we didn't stop them getting 14 corners, did we?

Yes we were better, but at the moment still quite a way from being good enough. Sorry if a bit of realism upsets you.