Anyone remember Eric Hassli?

Colinjb

A name that had completely escaped me..... He is all over SSN at the moment for scoring a stunning goal in the MLS, but apparently he was here back in 2002.

And according to wikipedia he scored 6 goals for us in 9 appearances.... surely I would remember that!?

Jeez, they're easily impressed aren't they ? "Wonder goal" ? Meh.

I had also completely forgotten his existence, and I'm right there with yer Sarmientos, Chalas, Tejeras, Ela Eyenes, Yahias and Ariases.

Jeez, they're easily impressed aren't they ? "Wonder goal" ? Meh.

I had also completely forgotten his existence, and I'm right there with yer Sarmientos, Chalas, Tejeras, Ela Eyenes, Yahias and Ariases.

haha....this video is a reason why the USA should stay away from football..

[video=youtube;-B6ucoSoIy4]

It was a pretty sweet goal:

Yeah, there's a link up there, I've seen it, it's decent. But it's decent in a "nice goal" kinda way, not a "wow that's amazing and I'll never see anything like it again" kinda way.

On the Patented The9 Wow Factor Scale of 1-10

Rasiak's penalty rebound being a 1, Maradona's Second Goal against England in 1986 being a 10

that's about a 8, Beckham's v Wimbledon was a 9, along with all of Xabi Alonso's from his own half, and on a par with Pratley's "open net" goal in the Play-Off semi to deliver Billy Davies his P45.

Yeah, there's a link up there, I've seen it, it's decent. But it's decent in a "nice goal" kinda way, not a "wow that's amazing and I'll never see anything like it again" kinda way.

Rasiak's penalty rebound being a 1, Maradona's Second Goal against England in 1986 being a 10

that's about a 8, Beckham's v Wimbledon was a 9, along with all of Xabi Alonso's from his own half, and on a par with Pratley's "open net" goal in the Play-Off semi to deliver Billy Davies his P45.

Besides Roberto Carlos' free-kick against France, I don't think there's any goal where i'd think that.

Scoring into an open net is nothing special, you can do it up the park whenever you like. Hassli's goal is not something you're likely to be able to recreate up the park.

Edited by Nexstar

Umm i am the Wow Factor, you cant patent it!

Roberto Carlos.

In Le Tournoi, 1997 ? Absolutely, a very very rare goal that moved so much.

Although ironically I recreated it up the park a few weeks later. Seriously. There was me, a pair of Predator boots, a couple of corner flags for markers and a 1994 adidas Questra ball. I had about 50 goes at specifically trying to recreate it, using the same ball and it veered like that precisely once, from hammering the ball half way up, right through the middle with the valve to the left. I got it to go left to right though, cos I'm right-footed and it was off the outside of the foot. There was no keeper - and it went around the "wall" (i.e. marker flags) which were about 5 yards to the right of the post.

As for "Hassli's goal is not something you're likely to be able to recreate up the park" - it's really not that difficult to tee a ball up for yourself and then lamp it into the net, and getting that rapid dip is easier to do on a vertically falling ball than from any other position.

Pratley's goal was more special for the context and because of how infrequently those goals happen in football considering how often keepers find themselves at the wrong end and unable to get back in time - plus he hit it from his own half.

Edited by The9

Saw hasli play the other day and he was the best player on the park.

Goes to show how **** mls is.

Wonder why beckham, Henry & donavan play here???? $$$$$$

Money is most likely the motivation at the moment, you're quite right. But soccer took off over there because of two Brits who just wanted to see if they could get it to work. One of the guys, Clive Toye, was a journalist with the Express and he managed to bring Pele to the (original) Cosmos and nearly got George Best. There's an interview with him here, it's a good read http://lesrosbifs.net/category/nasl-season/

I spoke to Manny Andruszewski back in March, he's a top bloke, Lawrie told him there was no other English club interested in him and he decided Tampa Bay was a good idea. I've written an article about him that'll feature on that site soon.

I have been watching the Whitecaps a lot in Van and Hassli is head and shoulders above any player I have seen in the league. I would class him better than Ricky with a great touch for a big guy and very skillful.

Luckily our duckhunter chairman at the time knew better, as he did with Drogba.