car Insurance

Thedelldays

ffs, talk about a rip off..

im with admiral and my yearly quote has gone UP by near on £100....:x

anyone know any good companies...???

Interesting. I'm with admiral and need to renew next month.

If that happened to me I'd go to confused.com or similar, take the cheapest quote from the decent quotes, ring admiral up and say you've been offered a cheaper deal elsewhere and can they improve on their price

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The Insurance companies have raised their prices due to the increased number of claims and also the results of the no-win, no-fee culture. The fact that all cars now need to be insured unless SORN will give them even greater income.

Was paying £800 last year, my renewal came through at £1300, safe to say I told them where to go and now pay £530 with Tesco.

Just a case of shopping about, and for some reason the prices seem to change on a daily basis sometimes so might be worth checking comparison sites over a number of days.

I was paying £220 with Tesco. Renewal was £380. Went to Aviva and got it back down to £220.

When I rang Tesco to cancel, they said they could maybe come down a bit. I told them that if they can't give me the best price at renewal time then I wasn't interested.

They rely on people's complacency. Loyalty doesn't pay - always shop around.

My wifes renewal was £329, yesterday I want on three comparison sites, and got a quote for M&S from Compare the Meerkat of £182, that's where I'll be going.

Incidentally, two of the sites gave me a price for M&S, one was £12 more expensive, whilst the quote direct from M&S was £40 more. All had the same information & were within about a hour of each other, so why the variance?

I renewed throught the comparison sites and came up with Swiftcover, i messed about a little with the information and discovered that having a woman on your policy reduces it by 15-20% (i put my mother on there!), adding commuting and business miles added about £3, putting the mileage at 6000 per year always got the cheapest quote.

However they also want the exactly how it left the factory and anything added or taken away from the standard specification has to be delcared, non standard alloys add £160, Towbar add £60 etc. etc. No claims makes a difference of about 25-35% going from 2 years to 9 years (discovered i could use my bike no-claims as i'm not currently using it).

They are absolutely taking the **** but what else can you do?

I've had a company car for last the two years and a bit years so my NCB has gone, driven for 15 years with only one accident which was a week after i passed my test. Bought a little run about for £450 until i get my car allowance from my new job sorted and the cheapest insurer with a "company car driver introductory discount" wanted £850, nearly twice the value of the car, some of them wanted over £2k!!! It's a joke.

I've just cancelled my wifes automatic renewal. The policy is in my wifes name, but the payments come from a joint bank account & I do all the sorting out for it. I got through all the usual security questions and was then asked if my wife was with me, to which I answered "no". That was it. I wasn't allowed to continue because I didn't have a females voice. My secretary (who is female) phoned back 30 minutes later & did it for me.

Bloody ridiculous. :facepalm:

Interesting. I'm with admiral and need to renew next month.

If that happened to me I'd go to confused.com or similar, take the cheapest quote from the decent quotes, ring admiral up and say you've been offered a cheaper deal elsewhere and can they improve on their price

I was with Admiral & I tried that when my insurance went up by £100 also.

Direct Line could do it for the old Admiral price so I phoned Admiral up and told them so. They managed to knock off £30 as a 'loyalty bonus'.

I told them to stick their loyalty bonus and cancelled my insurance and moved to Direct Line.

I used Confused.com and found some low price cover - only to find when I changed my car those thieving bar stewards of a insurance company charged me a £50 'admin fee' for doing next to nothing.

Needless to say I had to bend over and take it at the time, but they can stick their renewal quote right up their .........

The Insurance companies have raised their prices due to the increased number of claims and also the results of the no-win, no-fee culture. The fact that all cars now need to be insured unless SORN will give them even greater income.

The governmant have been debating ways to crack down on these practices so hopefully premiums will drop back down soon.

Not holding my breath though :-(

I switched to Swiftcover a few months back. The cheapest by far.

Went with Swift when they were privately owned about 3 years ago, they were cheapest by miles but now owned by one of the big boys. This is the forst year they've really hiked the premium so I'm off to anothet when it expires next month. Looks like I'll be saving [sic] about £150 but in real year on year terms only about a tenner.

Incidentally, when I first went with them, they were the top recomended insurer by Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert website.

That's how they operate unortunately, relying on complacency and brand loyalty.

One of my ex-employees is about to insure his first car, a Rover 25, say about '52' reg and worth about £1k max, he's 19 and works on a farm, any guesses how much for third party only insurance?

Any idea how many NCB he has?

If he hasn't got any he'll do well to get a deal anywhere near £1500, I'd be looking at a couple of grand

How's about £4200 cheapest, £22000 the most expensive! No wonder loads of people drive without.

bloody hell is that what he was quoted?! I knew it was bad a few years ago but it seems to be on a different level now! What their essentially saying on the most expensive quote is that their predicting he's going to write the car off every two and a half weeks in the whole year!

A fine for driving without insurance is usually in the hundreds, it's so backwards it's unbelievable. They really do need to start scrapping uninsured cars that are driven on the road illegally with regularity, and nationwide.

It's all about the no claims bonus though, my mate's lad has 3 years NCB, is 23 years old and just renewed his for £400

I'd think that the astronomic premiums are more to do with the damage (property and injury to people, including death) that younger drivers are capable and responible for. The majoroty carrying the can for the moronic minority, not fair but I guess they have some formula that works it out.

End of the day, insurance is just another form of gambling and you never see a poor bookie do you.

my brother is under 25, first time driver, on a little 1.1 somthing car thing. He had all manner of crazy prices quoted, he then found one that deal with young drivers only, they fitted a "black box" in his car that records how hard he drives etc, if he keeps it to a level his premiums go down (goes above a level, they go up) bloody good idea imo

Just had my insurance renewal from Admiral. It was for £468.

After telling them I'd got a cheaper quote elsewhere and could they reduce my mileage by a couple of thousand miles, they renewed it for £403 and knocked 100 quid off my voluntary excess.

Definitely worth haggling!

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance companies are blood sucking scum. Even the whole excess idea is a joke - I had my CD player nicked years ago when CD players were still cool and it wasn't worth claiming. Worst thing though are those sods proclaiming to be courtesy cars after you've had an accident when in fact they are hire cars that claim the money off the other insurance company. If you read the small print that's only applicable if the claim is settled within 12 months, otherwise you are liable for the cost. Gits tried to shaft me for seven grand, luckily I could prove I was mis-informed.

Just had my insurance renewal from Admiral. It was for £468.

After telling them I'd got a cheaper quote elsewhere and could they reduce my mileage by a couple of thousand miles, they renewed it for £403 and knocked 100 quid off my voluntary excess.

Definitely worth haggling!

Saved even more than I thought as I didn't realise they'd included the tax.

I've actually saved £93

Just by ringing up and haggling Admiral and making sure my mileage is accurate, they have reduced my insurance by 20% and knocked £100 off my voluntary excess

Saved even more than I thought as I didn't realise they'd included the tax.

I've actually saved £93

Just by ringing up and haggling Admiral and making sure my mileage is accurate, they have reduced my insurance by 20% and knocked £100 off my voluntary excess

Admiral wanted another 35% or so this year. Went to Chaucer and got it cheaper than last year. Result.

Hastings were also competitive. I renewed Mrs eggs through them recently and got a cracking deal.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk