What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Is that the bloke who used to start fights with crowd members?

Yup, saw him swing for a guy in the front row at Reading once. Complete f*cking nutter.

Sounds about right. A mate I went to school with does a lot of filming/photography for bands and managed to do a lot of stuff with Gallows when they were starting to make a name for themselves. He told me this was a semi-regular occurrence.

More garage/psych. There's a lot of it about at the moment:

Long may it continue, it's a good combo. I like this a lot.

Thee Oh Sees new album out soon. I truly love these guys (and girl)

I like this also.

So in fairness to Smirks, I listened to it. It doesn't sound like them at all. I wonder if the Banjo plucker remarks have gotten to them?

Still not a big fan, but it's better than their other stuff.

It's almost as if their record company asked them to go a bit Snow Patrol due to the current lack of actual Snow Patrol.

So in fairness to Smirks, I listened to it. It doesn't sound like them at all. I wonder if the Banjo plucker remarks have gotten to them?

Still not a big fan, but it's better than their other stuff.

Yeah no banjo, Im actually going to come out amd say I dont mind a bit of their older stuff in parts, couldnt listen to a whole album of it (it similar ways to the way I listen to Oasis or Coldplay.. Bits and bobs)

But this new stuff is very good IMO, and very unlike Mumford. I see the snow patrol, its almost a bit british Kings of Leonesque. But you've probably hit nail on head regarding record label

Big record labels are the kings. They decide when, what and how bands release stuff. They do deals to get their artists on to playlists and to appear at the best events. They hire super producers then run the music through machines and focus groups which tell them whether it will be a hit or not before throwing a wedge of money at promotion. They are less interested in the actual music or integrity of their artist, merely the amount of profit they make.

This is why most of the best and most progressive music is often found on small labels where bands try to do things differently and produce music with feeling that they love. Sometimes these bands throw their lot in with a major label and regret it. Sometimes they become accustomed to their new found fame and wealth and run with it.

That's not to say that all bands on major labels are bad, just that often their creativity becomes stifled and their output predictable. It's a tough industry.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are some Sufjan Stevens fans on here, been spinning his latest album today. It's by far his best, really intimate, moving and atmospheric - no less than you'd expect from an album about a man looking back on his life after his mother dies. Really beautiful stuff.

I know there are some Sufjan Stevens fans on here, been spinning his latest album today. It's by far his best, really intimate, moving and atmospheric - no less than you'd expect from an album about a man looking back on his life after his mother dies. Really beautiful stuff.

This is odd, I was literally about to come on here asking if anyone was into him, and what he's like.

Going to Oz week after next and he is playing the Opera House whilst we are there. Thought it might be a good way to see it in all it's glory.

So thanks for answering my question in advance dude! You so get me ;)

This is odd, I was literally about to come on here asking if anyone was into him, and what he's like.

Going to Oz week after next and he is playing the Opera House whilst we are there. Thought it might be a good way to see it in all it's glory.

So thanks for answering my question in advance dude! You so get me ;)

Uncanny! BFFs for lyf

I'm always wary of recommending Sufjan to others...he's someone you either "get" or you don't; I know it's a cliche but it's true. Here comes another couple of cliches...the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and there's something "magical" about his music. Lord knows there are enough parts if you listen to albums like "Michigan" and "Illinois", multi-layered, you can listen to them for years and are still surprised by things you've missed in the past. The remarkable thing is on first listen they seem simple but reveal themselves a little at a time.

If you read the reviews on Amazon for "Illinois" you begin to realise the effect he has on people...OK Amazon isn't the most critical of places to get a balanced view but it does give you an idea of the reverence he draws from his fans/lovers.

For me "Illinios" is the entry...sit relax, put the headphones on an listen to it in one go.

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

I'm always wary of recommending Sufjan to others...he's someone you either "get" or you don't; I know it's a cliche but it's true. Here comes another couple of cliches...the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and there's something "magical" about his music. Lord knows there are enough parts if you listen to albums like "Michigan" and "Illinois", multi-layered, you can listen to them for years and are still surprised by things you've missed in the past. The remarkable thing is on first listen they seem simple but reveal themselves a little at a time.

If you read the reviews on Amazon for "Illinois" you begin to realise the effect he has on people...OK Amazon isn't the most critical of places to get a balanced view but it does give you an idea of the reverence he draws from his fans/lovers.

For me "Illinios" is the entry...sit relax, put the headphones on an listen to it in one go.

Just had a go on Carrie & Lowell, really enjoyed it. Booking tickets tonight :) Thanks chaps.

Pitchfork's review for the new Mumford album

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20421-wilder-mind/

:lol:

WU LYF

Ah, they were grand. Shame they parted ways so early. Annoyed I missed the boat a bit on them, and they were over before I got into the album. Would have loved to see them live.

There were always clues to his disfunctional upbringing in his earlier work too...this is probably one of the saddest but strangely uplifting...call it a prelude to Carrie & Lowell...

I have to admit that i'm not too well-versed in Sufjan's back catalogue - only albums i've really listened to are Illinoise and Carrie & Lowell. After listening to that song you've now launched me into a weekend-long journey through everything he's recorded!

I have to admit that i'm not too well-versed in Sufjan's back catalogue - only albums i've really listened to are Illinoise and Carrie & Lowell. After listening to that song you've now launched me into a weekend-long journey through everything he's recorded!

Michigan was my first Sufjan album and was immediately taken with it. When Illinois arrived I immediately put the headphones on and started it...by track 5 I wanted to run into the street to proclaim his genius and by the end was prepared to lobby to fast-track his route to Sainthood. :lol:

I'm not a religious person but there are gems of stunning beauty on his Christmas albums and Seven Swans.

Seven Swans is a great album. I got into him through that because at the time I was listening to a lot of electronica. His evolving output has somewhat mirrored my changing music taste although he's yet to attempt a reggae album.

Well KRG's either halfway through Sufjan's Friday gig...gearing up for tomorrow's or kicking his heels waiting for the Sunday show.

In depth review kind sir. :)