What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Mario Biondi and the High Five Quintet

Driving back from the Hull away game this was on Craig Charles Radio 2 show, empty M1 he played the long 7 minute version of the linked song which was spot on driving music to my ear, and spurred to find a bit more in a music genre I hadn't really paid much attention to.

I know, I am a full on fangirl. This performance is absolutely stunning though, I must have watched this video at least once a day for the last few months. Often AF don't translate well to a TV broadcast - this is the closest i've come to finding something that replicates how they sound live. Watching back their performances at Glastonbury this year and Reading a couple of years ago it doesn't even come close to what I heard being right at the front of the crowd - the energy in their performance and the atmosphere they create. I spent most of their set at Glasto last year embracing the guy stood next to me who I didn't even know, both hollering every word of every song and completely encapsulated in what was going on. When it was all over we just hugged and walked away!

Also amazing to think that this was filmed 10 years ago and they're still one of the most creative and important acts in music today.

Edited by SuperMikey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Vbq75TQSI

Like Mikey if you're a "musical evangelist" you'll try to win new converts wherever you can. This is my attempt. Amazingly this was Sufjan's first nationwide TV performance back in 2006. If you have the inclination and 52 minutes to spare I say give it a go...if you want instant gratification go to 29.30.

I know, I am a full on fangirl. This performance is absolutely stunning though, I must have watched this video at least once a day for the last few months. Often AF don't translate well to a TV broadcast - this is the closest i've come to finding something that replicates how they sound live. Watching back their performances at Glastonbury this year and Reading a couple of years ago it doesn't even come close to what I heard being right at the front of the crowd - the energy in their performance and the atmosphere they create. I spent most of their set at Glasto last year embracing the guy stood next to me who I didn't even know, both hollering every word of every song and completely encapsulated in what was going on. When it was all over we just hugged and walked away!

Also amazing to think that this was filmed 10 years ago and they're still one of the most creative and important acts in music today.

:adore::adore::adore:

Saw them at Brixton a year or so after that. Was one of the most intense gigs I've been to. I'll never forget the whole crowd joining in with Neighborhood #3 and everyone singing it in the streets on the way back to the tube station. Also went to see them at Alexander Palace which was a damn fine gig too.

Saying that their latest album bored me a bit and they seem to have dissappeared up their own backsides somewhat.

Yeah I got the email notification about 2 hours after I posted the Austin City Limits concert...complete surprise, new album out of the blue. :)

I preordered it before even hearing the trailer. It's a no-brainer the album will be good and I'm a sucker for a limited vinyl.

I take 100% credit for introducing SaintsWeb to Calexico. You're all welcome ;)

Also speaking of wanting bands back in our lives, I was listening to these earlier. Discovered them playing in the Lock Up tent at Reading one year, absolutely mental gig. Caught their penultimate set before they split at Reading in 2008, mosh was very intense to this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lBhVJzF_QE

I take 100% credit for introducing SaintsWeb to Calexico. You're all welcome ;)

Also speaking of wanting bands back in our lives, I was listening to these earlier. Discovered them playing in the Lock Up tent at Reading one year, absolutely mental gig. Caught their penultimate set before they split at Reading in 2008, mosh was very intense to this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lBhVJzF_QE

They did a lunchtime set at Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms a couple of years ago. Awesome.

For lifeintheslowlane:

Sufjan Stevens booked to headline End of the Road Festival:

http://endoftheroadfestival.com/

I wasn't going to go this year but may well try and get a cheap ticket on the day it starts. Loads of people who couldn't make it were selling them at discounted prices on Gumtree last year.

It's an alright line up in general tbf.

Want to catch Tame Impala again, only seen them once and was too blotto to really remember it. Good sunny/hazy afternoon music that.

It's an alright line up in general tbf.

Want to catch Tame Impala again, only seen them once and was too blotto to really remember it. Good sunny/hazy afternoon music that.

They'll probably play a few more dates while they are here. It's one of the best things about festival season, there's just loads of gigs everywhere.

I went to EOTR from the beginning but they've priced me out. Tickets for us and a 2 kids aged 6 and 9 cost £540. It's £75 for a 6yo!!! That's nuts. Hence while I'll wait until just before and try to get one cheap off a last minute desperate seller.

We'll go to Green Man again instead, they should have a line up announcement soon.

They'll probably play a few more dates while they are here. It's one of the best things about festival season, there's just loads of gigs everywhere.

I went to EOTR from the beginning but they've priced me out. Tickets for us and a 2 kids aged 6 and 9 cost £540. It's £75 for a 6yo!!! That's nuts. Hence while I'll wait until just before and try to get one cheap off a last minute desperate seller.

We'll go to Green Man again instead, they should have a line up announcement soon.

Are they doing pensioner's concessions? I'm not sure I have the stamina or the inclination to do festivals anymore...even for Sufjan Stevens. :? Concerts are more to my liking these days.

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

Just had my first listen of Sleater-Kinney's new album, their first in ten years. Normally, when a band takes a huge hiatus like this, you expect Rolling Stones levels of returns:-

"Yes, yes, that's nice - not a classic - now play your fúcking old stuff."

Not so with Sleater-Kinney. They left the industry on an arguable peak ten years ago, bored of recording, bored/frustrated with each other, but leaving us with The Woods, what everyone thought would be their swansong. Still need a few listens to bed No Cities To Love into my bonce, but so far - seems both fresh and very much like them. Not quite as produced as The Woods (if you want an order-to-disorder album, that really is it).

I'm going to see them in Wánkchester on the 24th. Yes, it hurts that I have to go there to see bands.

Just had my first listen of Sleater-Kinney's new album, their first in ten years. Normally, when a band takes a huge hiatus like this, you expect Rolling Stones levels of returns:-

"Yes, yes, that's nice - not a classic - now play your fúcking old stuff."

Not so with Sleater-Kinney. They left the industry on an arguable peak ten years ago, bored of recording, bored/frustrated with each other, but leaving us with The Woods, what everyone thought would be their swansong. Still need a few listens to bed No Cities To Love into my bonce, but so far - seems both fresh and very much like them. Not quite as produced as The Woods (if you want an order-to-disorder album, that really is it).

I'm going to see them in Wánkchester on the 24th. Yes, it hurts that I have to go there to see bands.

:)

Tis indeed a very decent album. Haha 'Pool really has fallen behind their North-Western 'neighbours', bet that really rankles in your parts.

:)

Tis indeed a very decent album. Haha 'Pool really has fallen behind their North-Western 'neighbours', bet that really rankles in your parts.

Only really in getting bands to come here in the first place. We've got an arena now too, so I wonder what the issue is. I'm probably part of the problem, going down the M62 to see bands.

That said, Sound City 2015 has The Flaming Lips, Fúcked Up, the Vaccines and Belle and Sebastian all playing. I think I might be in the market for a wristband.

Only really in getting bands to come here in the first place. We've got an arena now too, so I wonder what the issue is. I'm probably part of the problem, going down the M62 to see bands.

That said, Sound City 2015 has The Flaming Lips, Fúcked Up, the Vaccines and Belle and Sebastian all playing. I think I might be in the market for a wristband.

Aye, tis a strange one. L'pool isn't exactly a small city, and has plenty of musical history. Tours up north always seemed a bit scattergun, I remember lots of bands not playing Leeds when I was living there but then playing York/Sheffield. **

Sound City does look quite fun. The angsty teen in me would like to see Belle & Sebastian (one of those I've always managed to miss), and yeah Flaming Lips are always great fun live.

**Edit: Benefits of living in London, everyone plays here :)

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Aye, tis a strange one. L'pool isn't exactly a small city, and has plenty of musical history. Tours up north always seemed a bit scattergun, I remember lots of bands not playing Leeds when I was living there but then playing York/Sheffield. **

Sound City does look quite fun. The angsty teen in me would like to see Belle & Sebastian (one of those I've always managed to miss), and yeah Flaming Lips are always great fun live.

**Edit: Benefits of living in London, everyone plays here :)

Think it's a momentum/cost thing, really. Takes a while for a city to build up a rep as an arena place. The arena are looking to make as much money as they can in the short term, so they'll charge £60 odd quid for One Direction tickets rather that'll sell shítloads than pull loads of credible acts in. Arctic Monkeys have played here though, and I have to say that this year's SoundCity line-up is loads better than the scions of Stock/Aitken/Waterman that usually roll up here to hysterical screaming.

Although having said that, Sonia is reported to be a "lovely girl".