What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has recently discovered Abba, so in turn I introduced her to the Gert Jonnys.  This is their best song  Änglahund, literally "Angel Hound" and tells the story of whether you are allowed to take your dog into heaven with you after death.  Surprising the question hasn't come up before, to be honest.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 08:47, The Cat said:

I've mostly been listening to all the albums John Dwyer has released under different names. The guy never stops. 

Album of the year is Pain Olympics by Crack Cloud and I'll fight anyone who disagrees!

Gave it a go. Have no wish to fight you but my god I thought it was fucking awful and that was after 5 pints. I can see how it tried to stretch musical boundaries and for that it deserves some credit, but in the end it just hurt my ears. 

That said I sense, Cat, from your other comments that we may share musical common ground. On that basis I will recommend for you Goat Girl (in full knowledge that I am at risk of you touche-ing me and dismissing it as fucking awful).

Edited by stknowle

On 29/11/2020 at 17:47, stknowle said:

Gave it a go. Have no wish to fight you but my god I thought it was fucking awful and that was after 5 pints. I can see how it tried to stretch musical boundaries and for that it deserves some credit, but in the end it just hurt my ears. 

That said I sense, Cat, from your other comments that we may share musical common ground. On that basis I will recommend for you Goat Girl (in full knowledge that I am at risk of you touche-ing me and dismissing it as fucking awful).

Yeah I like Goat Girl, some great tracks on the first album. Saw them live and was a bit underwhelmed though, maybe just a bad day but they seemed thoroughly bored!

Funny comments about Crack Cloud. Haha. What time shall we meet for the fight? 

Some other recommendations that might be a bit more your style, these are all quite new bands

Yard Act, Famous, Personal Trainer, Egyptian Blue, Global Charming, caroline, LICE (they're a bit shouty though) Wych Elm, PVA, deathcrash.

On 02/12/2020 at 08:42, The Cat said:

Yeah I like Goat Girl, some great tracks on the first album. Saw them live and was a bit underwhelmed though, maybe just a bad day but they seemed thoroughly bored!

Funny comments about Crack Cloud. Haha. What time shall we meet for the fight? 

Some other recommendations that might be a bit more your style, these are all quite new bands

Yard Act, Famous, Personal Trainer, Egyptian Blue, Global Charming, caroline, LICE (they're a bit shouty though) Wych Elm, PVA, deathcrash.

Christ I'm clearly dealing with a connoisseur here, never heard of any of that lot. Tried Yard Act and yes very good although they only seem to have 3 songs.  Particularly like "Trapper's Pelts". 

Will give the rest a go. What are your thoughts on Shame? Loved their first album but not been that impressed with the new singles.

In other news why is this thread such a barren wasteland? Get the odd post every couple of months and that's it. Do SFC fans not fucking like music?

10 hours ago, stknowle said:

In other news why is this thread such a barren wasteland? Get the odd post every couple of months and that's it. Do SFC fans not fucking like music?

I listen to music every day, but don't feel the need to post everything I listen to. If you are interested, yesterday whlst working in my workshop I listened to "Dance of Death" by Iron Maiden and some New Order, the day before Metallica's "Black Album" and "And Justice For All". In the last few weeks I have also played The Clash, Imagine Dragons, Tears for Fears, Kate Rusby, Genesis, Shinedown, Queens of the Stone Age, Beautiful South, Talking Heads, Santana, and more.

I also, on occasion might listen to Classic FM, or perhaps a top level brass band, ( all 3 of my children have played in National Championship winning bands ).

Edited by badgerx16

On 04/12/2020 at 22:46, stknowle said:

Christ I'm clearly dealing with a connoisseur here, never heard of any of that lot. Tried Yard Act and yes very good although they only seem to have 3 songs.  Particularly like "Trapper's Pelts". 

Will give the rest a go. What are your thoughts on Shame? Loved their first album but not been that impressed with the new singles.

Yes I like Shame. Seen them, what 3 times I think. They played Pompey at the end of 2019 supported by HMLTD (mad band, insane live) and a little known Irish act called Fontaine's DC. Shame seem to be moving their style slightly but that's all good with me as there's no need to make the same album again. 

Personally I just love music and spend a lot of time listening to new bands either online, on the radio, at gigs or buying records. Oh, and there's also resurgence of print magazines. I highly recommend So Young which is made by people from Southampton.

https://shop.soyoungmagazine.com

I also use Bandcamp a lot which is where I came across Yard Act. There's so much amazing music out there, sometimes just needs a bit of hunting down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2020 at 08:47, The Cat said:

Yes I like Shame. Seen them, what 3 times I think. They played Pompey at the end of 2019 supported by HMLTD (mad band, insane live) and a little known Irish act called Fontaine's DC. Shame seem to be moving their style slightly but that's all good with me as there's no need to make the same album again. 

Personally I just love music and spend a lot of time listening to new bands either online, on the radio, at gigs or buying records. Oh, and there's also resurgence of print magazines. I highly recommend So Young which is made by people from Southampton.

https://shop.soyoungmagazine.com

I also use Bandcamp a lot which is where I came across Yard Act. There's so much amazing music out there, sometimes just needs a bit of hunting down.

I saw Fontaines DC at a small venue in Manchester a year ago as a warm up gig.

I was stood at the back with a beer whilst my then 17yo son went crowd surfing by.

Excellent band.

On 04/12/2020 at 22:46, stknowle said:

Do SFC fans not fucking like music?

I suspect that people don't like being judged on their musical tastes any more than they like being judged on who they find funny. You know the type of ridicule people would be open to if they admitted to Mrs Brown's Boys and Michael McIntyre for instance. Btw not for me either of those two.

So back to the music. Helping my daughter move into her first house on Friday and she had Taylor Swift's Folklore album on. Like VFTTs Miley Cyrus guilty pleasure, I quite enjoyed that. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 16:59, The Cat said:

This is my album of the year so far. A collaboration between electronic producer Floating Points, the London Symphony Orchestra and jazz legend Pharaoh Sanders. 

Check out "Bright Green Field" by Squid, Cat. I think you'll like it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Rodan - Rodan. 

1974, private pressing of only 200 copies. 

Average price on Discogs is over £400.

In my opinion, Juicy Lucy is the best cut on the album. 

Edited by Block 5
Fucked up YouTube link and managed to add two quote boxes somehow.

On 22/02/2021 at 00:59, Jeremy said:

Love all music. At one time i wanted to be violinist (which was a bit odd for a young guy into his sport).  I really love jazz though and have been playing this a bit lately

Oscar Peterson received an honorary degree from McMaster University in 1981, the year I got my first undergraduate degree. He played during the ceremony. Wonderful!

• 1 month later...

The new Daniel Avery album is excellent and I'm not just saying that because he's one of the rare good musicians who has spent any time living in Southampton.

It's a modern homage to late the 90's style of ambient techno which was popularised on Warp Records. Some gorgeous moments cut with with swirls of classic Ambient Works 2 era Aphex Twin all wrapped in Avery's warm fuzzy electronic blanket. I could listen to this all day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gidge - New Light.

Album released in 2020 and completely passed me by until a work mate recommended it recently. It's a wonderfully rich piece of ambient electronica, which has dance music evidently in its DNA but definitely wasn't made for playing in clubs.

I love this and can't get enough of it. Gets better with every listen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...