What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Thanks Phil.

This is the best music video I've watched in ages.

Mate told me about it, I did the googling and was like - hang on who the hell is THAT and a "isn't that" whathisface. Absolute Gem whether you like their music or not & how fat is Jack Black these days!

Is it any good? I have "Contact from the Underworld of Redboy" which is superb.

I think it's his best solo effort to date, but like all his solo stuff his voice lets it down a touch. Steve Winwood and Clapton feature on it, so all in all I'd say it's pretty good.

Listening to the new album by June Tabor; it's called Ashore. A collection of songs about the sea. And sailing. Gorgeous stuff! Acoustic folk at its best. On the Topic label.

June is wonderful. She has just finished recording a new album with Oysterband which I am REALLY looking forward to.

Delta Swamp Rock , Sounds From The South: At The Crossroads Of Rock, Country And Soul a rather spiffing Soul Jazz Records compilation featuring The Allman Bros , Lynryrd Skynyrd , Big Star , Johnny Cash etc.

Delta Swamp Rock , Sounds From The South: At The Crossroads Of Rock, Country And Soul a rather spiffing Soul Jazz Records compilation featuring The Allman Bros , Lynryrd Skynyrd , Big Star , Johnny Cash etc.

Good shout Manji. I haven't got this yet but there's some killers on there.

The Stone Fox Chase tune is fantastic and has been effectively sampled many times (Sure Beats Workin is my favourite).

I've been having a bit of a splurge on this stuff lately and if you're enjoying the Soul Jazz compilation try checking out 'Ton Ton Macoute' by Johnny Jenkins (this includes the version of 'I Walk on Gilded Splinters' that was sampled by Oasis and Beck) which features Duane Allman.

Also worth serious investigation is 'Push Push' by legendary flautist Herbie Mann, again featuring Duane Allman.

At the moment I'm listening to a couple of outstanding albums by Muscle Shoals Horns; 'Shine On' and 'Born to Get Down'.

Wild Beasts -- Smother.

Dont get the love for this lot all.Very weak.I guess the non-electronic side of the British music scene is so shiite at the moment people are grasping at straws.

Edited by manji

Having got hooked on American Idol (loved James Durbin singing Muse) and watching the results show with J-Lo doing her thing I found this

Musically meh OK when I'm clubbing & had a few. But being an old fart I just think Phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sums it up

And before anyone moans about the size of her bum, all the easier to Oops ouch yes dear, sorry dear, no I know it wasn't PC dear, yes her's does look bigger than yours in those new jeans dear

ouch

I was here first - and Eric did write it :smug:

Indeed he did. One of the best anti war songs ever penned with the possible exception of "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" also written by him. Really good live in concert too but alas will not be coming back to the UK - getting on a bit.

At this moment I am listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station live on Radio 2. Whether or not you like bluegrass the musicianship is outstanding. BTW Jerry Douglas has just said the AK will be in the next Transatlantic Sessions coming out in September.

At this moment I am listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station live on Radio 2. Whether or not you like bluegrass the musicianship is outstanding. BTW Jerry Douglas has just said the AK will be in the next Transatlantic Sessions coming out in September.

AK is magnificent! Has won something like 28 Grammys? New album "Paper Airplane" is brilliant. Love "Transalantic Sessions" (particularly enjoyed the last one with James Taylor) and am pleased that there will be another series.

AK is magnificent! Has won something like 28 Grammys? New album "Paper Airplane" is brilliant. Love "Transalantic Sessions" (particularly enjoyed the last one with James Taylor) and am pleased that there will be another series.

Just bought it. I've liked her since she won CMA song of the year with "When you say nothing at all" back in 95. The Keating version is a pale rip-off.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

A fascinating album; a combination of old-style bluegrass and Mary Chapin Carpenter type country. I loved it.

Tyler, the Creator - Goblin

Quite unremitting, but nice to see someone doing something new in hip hop.

I'm reviewing this for a publication and have a promo copy. Is it as good as B@stard?