What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

You can't quite put your finger on what kind of sound it is - kinda halfway between Beirut and an Ennio Morricone score. Interesting adaptations of a few of their older songs too.

They've added the Mariachi brass elements to their sound in the last 4 or 5 years, but they've always had that kind of waltzy rhythm in their songs. Give "The Black Light" and "Spoke" a listen, those are their first two albums. Got quite a growly, Nick Cave type feel to them. The added orchestration really came in on their album from a few years ago "Carried to Dust", which is my favourite of theirs.

They also did the OST for the John/Marty McDonagh film "The Guard" which came out a couple of years ago, which is one of my favourite films. Makes it worth a watch just for the music!

Yeah, a very interesting sound SuperMikey.

I've listened to The Black Light and Carried to Dust - I couldn't find Spoke on Google Music.

Both very good indeed, but neither in the same league as Spiritoso (at least not on the first couple of listens).

I can hear Dylan, Tim Buckley and perhaps even some Jackson Browne in his vocal performance, but musically I can't say I've heard anything quite like it before.

If you'd described the combination to me beforehand I'd have said "Not for me", but it works really well.

I've listened to The Black Light and Carried to Dust - I couldn't find Spoke on Google Music.

Both very good indeed, but neither in the same league as Spiritoso (at least not on the first couple of listens).

I can hear Dylan, Tim Buckley and perhaps even some Jackson Browne in his vocal performance, but musically I can't say I've heard anything quite like it before.

If you'd described the combination to me beforehand I'd have said "Not for me", but it works really well.

of Wire

'Feast of Wire' I like a lot. Haven't listened to much else of theirs beyond that. I recommend it.

I agree, Spiritoso is something a bit special. Glad to hear you like them though, give The Black Light a couple more listens and I guarantee you'll be hooked.

You can't quite put your finger on what kind of sound it is - kinda halfway between Beirut and an Ennio Morricone score. Interesting adaptations of a few of their older songs too.

They've added the Mariachi brass elements to their sound in the last 4 or 5 years, but they've always had that kind of waltzy rhythm in their songs. Give "The Black Light" and "Spoke" a listen, those are their first two albums. Got quite a growly, Nick Cave type feel to them. The added orchestration really came in on their album from a few years ago "Carried to Dust", which is my favourite of theirs.

They also did the OST for the John/Marty McDonagh film "The Guard" which came out a couple of years ago, which is one of my favourite films. Makes it worth a watch just for the music!

I've been a Calexico fan for about 15 years. What's the best listen to get into them? It has to be a live recording...like all great bands, that's where they excel. If you go to their band website: http://www.casadecalexico.com/topspin-store/featured/ you'll find a live recording from last years tour...top stuff..."Ancienne Belgique Vol 2"...if you enjoy their Mariachi tinged numbers there's plenty there to keep you happy.

I'm surprised you missed their last tour that took in Brighton last Feb (superb gig)...they also did Glastonbury and Latitude this summer. I don't think they'll be touring in Europe now for a couple of years...they're gearing up for a new album.

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

Listening to the new Arctic Monkeys album - AM

Impressed so far although some of the song titles (No1 party anthem) are rubbish.

I'm a massive (almost slightly obsessive) Arctics fan, and have to say I was a little underwhelmed if I am honest.

I can't put my finger on why, I don't mind it's a bit different. I just think, by their very high standards, they are middling a bit I guess. Also, the 3 best tracks were released prior to the album coming out, which is disappointing - kinda like when all the best bits from when a comedy film are in the adverts (most comedies), one was even released the best part of 18 months ago.

Maybe it will grow on me more, but I think Humbug & Suck it and See are still my faves.

I've been a Calexico fan for about 15 years. What's the best listen to get into them? It has to be a live recording...like all great bands, that's where they excel. If you go to their band website: http://www.casadecalexico.com/topspin-store/featured/ you'll find a live recording from last years tour...top stuff..."Ancienne Belgique Vol 2"...if you enjoy their Mariachi tinged numbers there's plenty there to keep you happy.

I'm surprised you missed their last tour that took in Brighton last Feb (superb gig)...they also did Glastonbury and Latitude this summer. I don't think they'll be touring in Europe now for a couple of years...they're gearing up for a new album.

I missed them at Glastonbury, thought they were playing on the Sunday but they played Saturday (or the other way round). Will make sure to catch them next time they're round these parts - but as you say that won't be for a few years now.

I'm a massive (almost slightly obsessive) Arctics fan, and have to say I was a little underwhelmed if I am honest.

I can't put my finger on why, I don't mind it's a bit different. I just think, by their very high standards, they are middling a bit I guess. Also, the 3 best tracks were released prior to the album coming out, which is disappointing - kinda like when all the best bits from when a comedy film are in the adverts (most comedies), one was even released the best part of 18 months ago.

Maybe it will grow on me more, but I think Humbug & Suck it and See are still my faves.

To me it sounds like an evolution from Humbug (an album I really enjoyed) so that could be the reason I am enjoying it so far. Not really a big fan of the singles in all honesty ,some of the album tracks are stronger than the singles, especially Arabella, Snap out of it and Knee Socks which are my favourites so far. There is a bit of unnecessary filler such as I want it all which makes the album drag abit though. Its not the 10/10 that the NME gave it, but its another very good album.

On a side note I got stupidly giddy when I noticed the Stones reference

I agree, Spiritoso is something a bit special. Glad to hear you like them though, give The Black Light a couple more listens and I guarantee you'll be hooked.

OK SuperMikey, I think I'm developing a Calexico addiction. Still loving Spiritoso, but Algiers is now pushing it close. Exceptionally good recommendation!

I'm a big Nick Drake fan, and i'm fairly sure he was reincarnated as Neil Halstead. This is off his most recent album.

My son found my Nick Drake CDs earlier in the year and has become a big fan too.

If you like Nick Drake, try some Tom Baxter. I'd heartily recommend "Feather and Stone".

Probably going to get some stick again,

but love the new Chrvches (I really hate that name) album. Streaming here:

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/15/221714011/first-listen-chvrches-the-bones-of-what-you-believe

On a seperate note, I'm a little bit in love(/stalky obsessed) with Lauren Mayberry - I fall in love with girls in bands so easily.

Probably going to get some stick again,

but love the new Chrvches (I really hate that name) album. Streaming here:

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/15/221714011/first-listen-chvrches-the-bones-of-what-you-believe

On a seperate note, I'm a little bit in love(/stalky obsessed) with Lauren Mayberry - I fall in love with girls in bands so easily.

Ok but too poppy for me. I like her voice. Totally agree about girls in bands. Out of the four I mentioned above three are female centric.

OK this is for "SuperMikey" "saintbletch" and the other Calexico fans here. As I said earlier you missed a great show at The Corn Exchange in Brighton in Feb so here's an, (unfortunately) "top 'n' tailed video of Guero Canelo.

BTW Mikey they played Glastonbury on the Saturday night overlapping with The Stones which rather ****ed them off as they wanted to catch the show too. As it turned out they got to see the second half of The Stones set.