What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Really gotten into Grimes at the moment.

Gave her short shrift when they were getting a fair bit of attention last year. But heard them again recently by chance, and thought to myself, "you plank, this is brilliant!".

Not for everyone, sure, but I like this electro-y-pop stuff.

Also yes, I am aware my music taste makes very little sense.

Been listening to Major Lazer a lot recently. Had this track on constant repeat when it came out last summer but we're supposedly nearing the release of the album 'Free The Universe' which has been pushed back about half a dozen times already.

I have an entire album to recommend.

R.A.P. Music by Killer Mike; I posted his track "Reagan" earlier up.

Style-wise, it's all over the place. In terms of quality, it's right up there and the vast majority of songs eschew the usual conventions of the genre. More political than big-di*k-ical. This one's a belter. Has a bass line that'll cheerily haunt you for days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBMByKhrVA

Metacritic link for album, just so you know ol' pap's not selling you a wrong'un.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/rap-music/killer-mike

Edited by pap
Crappy youtube urlage

Surprised you like this bunch of left-wingers, Kelv :)

Excellent tune though; might be their best.

Seeing as I have disdain for most political viewpoints, right across the spectrum, my love of music would be pretty impaired if I judged it on this basis solely.

For example, I love Billy Bragg. I love his passion, and the fact he has an opinion, and is so eloquent in putting that across in some really gorgeous songs. I respect him for his views, even if I do think he is completely wrong a lot of the time.

Maybe it's becuase I'm a bigger person than the lefties, I can respect views I don't agree with ;)

Back to Arcade Fire, I adore them. Up there with The Cure and The Jam as my favourite ever bands. Amongst the best on the planet right now, in my opinion.

They have so many incredible, moving songs. I couldn't begin trying to pick a favourite. This is probably amongst them, Sprawl II is certainly up there too.

They need to get this new album out sharpish!

Seeing as I have disdain for most political viewpoints, right across the spectrum, my love of music would be pretty impaired if I judged it on this basis solely.

For example, I love Billy Bragg. I love his passion, and the fact he has an opinion, and is so eloquent in putting that across in some really gorgeous songs. I respect him for his views, even if I do think he is completely wrong a lot of the time.

Maybe it's becuase I'm a bigger person than the lefties, I can respect views I don't agree with ;)

Back to Arcade Fire, I adore them. Up there with The Cure and The Jam as my favourite ever bands. Amongst the best on the planet right now, in my opinion.

They need to get this new album out sharpish!

I saw them last year in Manchester. They are a fantastic band, although I dip into them only rarely. Kinda ruined myself on them a couple of years ago. Like much of the stuff I listen to, my eldest daughter ends up appropriating it. We have a cultural exchange thing going on. It was she that introduced my to Azealia Bank's 212, which almost made my ears fall off.

Great tune though :)

I saw them last year in Manchester. They are a fantastic band, although I dip into them only rarely. Kinda ruined myself on them a couple of years ago. Like much of the stuff I listen to, my eldest daughter ends up appropriating it. We have a cultural exchange thing going on. It was she that introduced my to Azealia Bank's 212, which almost made my ears fall off.

Great tune though :)

Oh man, I've been lucky enough to see AF 3 times. I have a similar arrangement with my Mum, hence my love for The Jam & The Cure, they were just always on in the house when I was growing up. I got her into Arcade Fire, and was lucky enough to take her to see them with a couple of mates in Hyde Park a couple of years back. They are stunning live. First time I saw them after they released The Suburbs (Leeds Fest '10), it genuinely nearly had me in tears.

Haha, I did a piece about ms. Banks a while back when I was doing a spot of music journalism.

This is a great tune, she has some good stuff.

It's a shame she is such an obnoxious mouthy cow, with a 'chip' the size of the Grand Canyon on her shoulder. Doesn't seem to understand that some people might not like her, or her music, so just instantly assumes it is to do with her being black & female. Her constant feuding on twitter has really put me off her.

Sooooooooooo happy they are back:

[video=youtube;jpGtkz-449U]

Karen O is one of the best front people I've seen live. She has got a great deal of empathy with her audience, and there's no question of her vocal talent. Saw the YYYs in Belfast off the back of their Zero tour. She can hit all the notes she does on the record.

My only problem with the YYYs is that while they get better in focus, the whole seems to suffer. Fever To Tell, their debut, is still their best. It's messy, noisy and unfocused - but it's fantastic. No fear. Some bloody fine songs on their later two albums, Zero is arguably their finest, and one of their latest - but the rest of the album didn't stay with me. Turn Into is another fantastic tune surrounded by relative dross on Show Your Bones.

I'm glad they referenced "Fever To Tell" when they said "we haven't been this excited since...". It's the gold standard of YYYs albums. They need their guitars back.

Karen O is one of the best front people I've seen live. She has got a great deal of empathy with her audience, and there's no question of her vocal talent. Saw the YYYs in Belfast off the back of their Zero tour. She can hit all the notes she does on the record.

My only problem with the YYYs is that while they get better in focus, the whole seems to suffer. Fever To Tell, their debut, is still their best. It's messy, noisy and unfocused - but it's fantastic. No fear. Some bloody fine songs on their later two albums, Zero is arguably their finest, and one of their latest - but the rest of the album didn't stay with me. Turn Into is another fantastic tune surrounded by relative dross on Show Your Bones.

I'm glad they referenced "Fever To Tell" when they said "we haven't been this excited since...". It's the gold standard of YYYs albums. They need their guitars back.

I'm inclined to agree.

I do really like It's Blitz, and really enjoy listening to the whole album through. Heads will Roll is a great track too, though it may be because it just reminds me of a really great summer - when you couldn't move for remixes of it. But yeah, I know what you mean, whilst the albums in general are enjoyable, other than the stand out tracks, they can be a bit forgettable.

And absolutely, Karen-O is a fantastic frontwoman. Totally blew me away when I saw them, she nearly had me in tears during an extended version of Maps. Just wow.

Still on an Arcade Fire vibe at the moment.

I love Régine, I want to marry her and keep her in my pocket and protect her. Though I do also love that her and Win are married.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab2DDmwYVQw

Just enjoyed a relaxing lunch break in the company of a pint and Terry Riley's Reed Streams. There's so much to explore with Riley, but I think the stuff I like best is the early repetition and echo experiments, like this and Music for The Gift. Although I really love Shri Camel too.

I also listened to Miles's In A Silent Way. It was a relaxing lunch break.

Just enjoyed a relaxing lunch break in the company of a pint and Terry Riley's Reed Streams. There's so much to explore with Riley, but I think the stuff I like best is the early repetition and echo experiments, like this and Music for The Gift. Although I really love Shri Camel too.

I also listened to Miles's In A Silent Way. It was a relaxing lunch break.

I have Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air on vinyl, but haven't listened to it for many, many years. He did an album with John Cale in the late 60s. I have been listening to Cale a lot lately.

I have Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air on vinyl, but haven't listened to it for many, many years. He did an album with John Cale in the late 60s. I have been listening to Cale a lot lately.

Oh really? I will have to check that out.