What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

The Inheritors, new album by James Holden. Really impressive stuff. Resolutely intense mix of Kieran Hebden-esque techno clatter, kraut-y drive and skronk-jazz flourish. He's a local chap too; I used to sell him records in Southampton HMV. He's gone on to slightly bigger things than I have :)

The Inheritors, new album by James Holden. Really impressive stuff. Resolutely intense mix of Kieran Hebden-esque techno clatter, kraut-y drive and skronk-jazz flourish. He's a local chap too; I used to sell him records in Southampton HMV. He's gone on to slightly bigger things than I have :)

When did you work in hmv? I was in there in 2000.

Given Boards of Canada Tomorrow's Harvest a few listens and it's no Campfire Headphase or Music has Right to Children. Quite dark though.

Bonobo North Borders is good

Am enjoying the recent Sigur Ros album more...

Also liking Emika DVA from the snippets I've heard of it.

Edited by LVSaint

Given Boards of Canada Tomorrow's Harvest a few listens and it's no Campfire Headphase or Music has Right to Children. Quite dark though.

Bonobo North Borders is good

Am enjoying the recent Sigur Ros album more...

Also liking Emika DVA from the snippets I've heard of it.

I was very disappointed with Tomorrows Harvest.Given it a few listens too.

Oops, sorry buddy.

Anyways, gotten really back into Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip.

Pip must be one of the most underrated rappers ever. Their first album Angles is full of bangers, but I do love this one:

Guess you've heard the new song then? Sounds promising.

As for me, i've been listening to DJ Shadow a lot recently. This one's been stuck in my head for a while now....

[video=youtube;NL9ypNz9-mM]

I've been listening to American Ride by Willie Nile.

Singer songwriter rocky folky stuff. To be honest, thought it was going to go the way of the Dawes album; nice ear candy for a bit but leaving a bitter taste in them afterwards. I'm still really enjoying it. The songs are very ear-wormy. I like this one in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10eisyIBJA4

Recommended to the older chaps on the forum in particular, but anyone with their music tastes set to eclectic will enjoy it, I reckon.

Metacritic the source as always. I'm just not cool enough to get my music from the kids anymore.

Guess you've heard the new song then? Sounds promising.

As for me, i've been listening to DJ Shadow a lot recently. This one's been stuck in my head for a while now....

Yeah, I quite like it. Hopefully the new album will be better than the second one.

Glad they are back though, off to them at The Garage in Islington (great small venue) in a few months.

Had the pleasure of meeting Pip on a couple of occasions, he is one of the nicest, sincerest, funny and interesting people you could hope to meet. They supported a friends band just before Thou Shalt Always Kill blew up - and they were just the best guys.

Yeah, I quite like it. Hopefully the new album will be better than the second one.

Glad they are back though, off to them at The Garage in Islington (great small venue) in a few months.

Had the pleasure of meeting Pip on a couple of occasions, he is one of the nicest, sincerest, funny and interesting people you could hope to meet. They supported a friends band just before Thou Shalt Always Kill blew up - and they were just the best guys.

Fingers crossed! I was toying with the idea of seeing them at Komedia in Brighton, but not sure if i'll go now. They'll be back here at some stage!

Never met Pip but met Dan once or twice at gigs. Nice guy, excellent beard, can talk for decades about production.

Fingers crossed! I was toying with the idea of seeing them at Komedia in Brighton, but not sure if i'll go now. They'll be back here at some stage!

Never met Pip but met Dan once or twice at gigs. Nice guy, excellent beard, can talk for decades about production.

Surely there is only one winner when it comes to the beard stakes, has to be Pip surely?

5182d1278699944-dan-le-sac-scroobius-pip-sick-tonight-danscroob.jpg

Oops, sorry buddy.

Did my brief reply sound a bit offish, sorry wasn't meant to be, just a quick reply as I had to go out.

Listened to it a couple of times. The lyrics are her business so not going to comment. Vocals are a bit heavy on the reverb but it's Polly so it's perfect.

Oops, sorry buddy.

Did my brief reply sound a bit offish, sorry wasn't meant to be, just a quick reply as I had to go out.

Listened to it a couple of times. The lyrics are her business so not going to comment. Vocals are a bit heavy on the reverb but it's Polly so it's perfect.

Nope, not at all. All good buddy. I like all fellow PJ lovers :)

Savages are excellent, there's something a bit different about them. Reckon they're the kind of band that will get a cult following and then release a masterpiece 5 or 6 years down the line which makes them blow up.

As for what i'm listening to at the moment, I am mildly obsessed with Calexico - specifically their recent album "Spiritoso" which features them playing with a full orchestra. Some of it is absolutely mind-blowing, and rather than make the songs seem bloated and overproduced, the extra orchestration just illustrates how excellent Joey Burns' songwriting is.

Savages are excellent, there's something a bit different about them. Reckon they're the kind of band that will get a cult following and then release a masterpiece 5 or 6 years down the line which makes them blow up.

As for what i'm listening to at the moment, I am mildly obsessed with Calexico - specifically their recent album "Spiritoso" which features them playing with a full orchestra. Some of it is absolutely mind-blowing, and rather than make the songs seem bloated and overproduced, the extra orchestration just illustrates how excellent Joey Burns' songwriting is.

Just listening to Spiritoso now. A very interesting and unusual sound.

I'll certainly listen to some of their other stuff. What would you recommend SuperMikey?

Just listening to Spiritoso now. A very interesting and unusual sound.

I'll certainly listen to some of their other stuff. What would you recommend SuperMikey?

You can't quite put your finger on what kind of sound it is - kinda halfway between Beirut and an Ennio Morricone score. Interesting adaptations of a few of their older songs too.

They've added the Mariachi brass elements to their sound in the last 4 or 5 years, but they've always had that kind of waltzy rhythm in their songs. Give "The Black Light" and "Spoke" a listen, those are their first two albums. Got quite a growly, Nick Cave type feel to them. The added orchestration really came in on their album from a few years ago "Carried to Dust", which is my favourite of theirs.

They also did the OST for the John/Marty McDonagh film "The Guard" which came out a couple of years ago, which is one of my favourite films. Makes it worth a watch just for the music!