What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Blimey, decent day for new releases. Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip's new album is out too!

Had a couple of listens today, like it! Dan's production is really great, gone for a bit of a deeper, murky sound. Less 8-bit than it was before. Some good tunes on there.

LOL White Posh Student Psuedo Rap.

broken-record-easy-art.jpg

So music nerds like yourself can say "How did this not make it onto the album"? :D

True. I just think it is better than a fair few tracks on there.

The arctics could make one hell of an album out of their B-sides:

Stop the World I Wanna Get off...

Sketchead

Catapult

I.D.S.T

Red Right Hand (Nick Cave Cover)

The Death Ramps

Nettles

Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend

Bigger Boys & Stolen Sweethearts

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

True. I just think it is better than a fair few tracks on there.

The arctics could make one hell of an album out of their B-sides:

Stop the World I Wanna Get off...

Sketchead

Catapult

I.D.S.T

Red Right Hand (Nick Cave Cover)

The Death Ramps

Nettles

Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend

Bigger Boys & Stolen Sweethearts

Not a big fan of Number One Party Animal or Mad Sounds, but they have their place in the album ( i.e. a bit of a break before the end of the album, which is excellent ). A lot of the earlier tracks have grown on me too.

Ooooh, how is the album? Worth a listen?

Pearl Jam @ Reading '06 was one of the best things I've ever seen!

Definitely worth a listen, their best album in a good few years.

Never got around to seeing them live, a must do next time they tour.

Edited by St Chalet

Been listening a lot to the recent Bowie album - The Next Day. A solid effort - lots of really good songs and his vocal performances are excellent.

Also been listening to the latest double-CD in Dylan's Bootleg series. This one - Another Self-Portrait - features material recorded between 1969 and 1971, an interesting period for him. Probably of interest only to ardent fans, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Saw em down The Wedgewood Rooms a couple of years ago.They were stunning.

Very jealous. I only really stumbled across them start of last year, and they havn't been over here since.

Everyone I know who has seen them live says they are fantastic, one I really really want to see!

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Manji, before you even start I know you won't like this.

But thought I'd give this Lorde chick a listen seeing as she seems to be getting hyped to f**k at the moment.

Yeah, she's pretty darn cool.

She's the blandest, most uninspiring thing to happen to music since Lana Del Rey. Honestly don't understand her popularity, although she's 16 and making her own music rather than having all her stuff manufactured for her so fair play on that.

As for what i'm listening to, the hook from this song has been echoing around my head for the past week or so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNygDLi9gb4

She's the blandest, most uninspiring thing to happen to music since Lana Del Rey. Honestly don't understand her popularity, although she's 16 and making her own music rather than having all her stuff manufactured for her so fair play on that.

As for what i'm listening to, the hook from this song has been echoing around my head for the past week or so:

I gave the album a few listens and enjoyed it.

It's nothing earth shattering, but I've got time for her.

I just seem to like this female singer/songwriter vibe.

You know I like LDR, Gaga, Lorde & Sky Ferreira although I'm not sure quite how the latter's dynamic with Dev Hynes works.

Hynes by the way, seems to be all over lots of good stuff at the moment. Was doing a lot of good work with Solange (Beyonce's sister), who is actually really rather good. Though they have had a bit of a public bust up - this could hurt her more than him I think.

I was a big Lightspeed Champion fan (also met him when he was watching The Long Blondes at Reading one year), but not really listened to the stuff he's done with Solange. Was actually going through my iPod the other day and had a little "I wonder what he's doing now?" moment when I brushed over that name.

I was a big Lightspeed Champion fan (also met him when he was watching The Long Blondes at Reading one year), but not really listened to the stuff he's done with Solange. Was actually going through my iPod the other day and had a little "I wonder what he's doing now?" moment when I brushed over that name.

He's currently releasing stuff under the name "blood orange" key influences seem to be anything from the 1980's. I also remember reading he had surgery on his throat explaining his change in voice. His new album , 'Cupid Deluxe' is nice but fairly repetitive and boring. Seems to be leaning to hard on nostalgia imo

His early band 'Test - icicles' were certainly interesting....

On a separate note,I just found out Amazon mp3 have all of Pavement's albums priced at £2.99 each and am currently reliving the best band of the 90's.

I used to bloody love The Long Blondes. Saw them @ Reading a couple of times. Such a shame the guitarist had a stroke so young. Lightspeed Champion was alright too, remember seeing him support Good Shoes (lol, remember them?!) when I had just started uni. Had a little chat with him, he seemed quite a cool bloke.

I saw Solange support the xx earlier this summer, got totally hooked. She is much poppier than her sister (more 80s Madonna than her sisters more R&B type pop), but a great performer just like Beyonce. I'd recommend having a listen, though as we have discussed Mikey, I am big into my pop. Give this a go:

He's currently releasing stuff under the name "blood orange" key influences seem to be anything from the 1980's. I also remember reading he had surgery on his throat explaining his change in voice. His new album , 'Cupid Deluxe' is nice but fairly repetitive and boring. Seems to be leaning to hard on nostalgia imo

His early band 'Test - icicles' were certainly interesting....

On a separate note,I just found out Amazon mp3 have all of Pavement's albums priced at £2.99 each and am currently reliving the best band of the 90's.

I quite like Blood Orange, it is indeed very 80s and very poppy, as I mentioned above, and several times previously I am a pretty big pop fan so it caters to me.

That is an absolute steal for those Pavement albums!

Lana Del Ray is a guilty pleasure of mine. I feel like a rebellious teenage girl when shes om me stereo.

Yes lad! No shame neccessary, she is bloody brilliant! F Mikey, I love Lana!

Used to love Test-Icicles when I was at college, their joiners gig was a lot of fun.

Saw them here in London in my teens - poss The Forum? Maybe Islington? Anyway, yeah, was bonkers.