What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

I used to bloody love The Long Blondes. Saw them @ Reading a couple of times. Such a shame the guitarist had a stroke so young. Lightspeed Champion was alright too, remember seeing him support Good Shoes (lol, remember them?!) when I had just started uni. Had a little chat with him, he seemed quite a cool bloke.

I saw Solange support the xx earlier this summer, got totally hooked. She is much poppier than her sister (more 80s Madonna than her sisters more R&B type pop), but a great performer just like Beyonce. I'd recommend having a listen, though as we have discussed Mikey, I am big into my pop. Give this a go:

Yeah, that's not bad. Got a nice beat to it. Don't think much of her as a performer, bit bland. Though to her credit she is incredibly attractive.

As for me, i've been listening to one of the best debut albums of the past century:

Shame nothing they've done since matches up...

Yeah, that's not bad. Got a nice beat to it. Don't think much of her as a performer, bit bland. Though to her credit she is incredibly attractive.

As for me, i've been listening to one of the best debut albums of the past century:

Shame nothing they've done since matches up...

Beyonce or Solange?

Can't agree with you on Arctics Mikey, Humbug, for me is their best. By quite a distance I think.

Also think Funeral is a better debut too. So nerrrr (look how growed up I am).

Beyonce or Solange?

Can't agree with you on Arctics Mikey, Humbug, for me is their best. By quite a distance I think.

Also think Funeral is a better debut too. So nerrrr (look how growed up I am).

Solange. Beyonce's got her thing, and while Solange is definitely talented, it seems like she's trying to fit into a pop market that's already heavily saturated with performers like her.

As for Arctics I cannot agree with you that Humbug is their best. Not been excited whilst listening to any of their albums since WPSIA,TWIN - with the exception maybe of Favourite Worst Nightmare.

And I didn't say it was THE best debut album of the century, but one of the best! Funeral is a better album, clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to The Airborne Toxic Event 's eponymous album after getting a couple of recommendations from US pals.

Read a review which lambasted it for being good, but not necessarily having its own voice. I get that. At times, sounds like The Strokes and The National have been put in a blender, but I really like it regardless. My last.fm chart ain't lying.

This is a good un

[video=youtube_share;jsiQiBmq-qw]

I've been listening to The Airborne Toxic Event 's eponymous album after getting a couple of recommendations from US pals.

Read a review which lambasted it for being good, but not necessarily having its own voice. I get that. At times, sounds like The Strokes and The National have been put in a blender, but I really like it regardless. My last.fm chart ain't lying.

This is a good un

[video=youtube_share;jsiQiBmq-qw]

I quite like them. Read an article about the best bands you've ever heard last year and they were strongly recommended. Have only listened to bits and pieces, and mean to listen to more but keep forgetting.

Cheers for the nudge bud.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh tokyos wtf.

i have been listening to an old-time band called doors. You may of heard of them. They is quite famous i understand. I have been listening to this one song called "20th Century Fox" v.carefully. I think it is bout wondering if a hot bird is really a transvestite. We is all been there.

Here is the key lyrics:

Well she's fashionably lean (this is reference to androgynous transvestite figure)

And she's fashionably late (this is cos she don't have periods)

She's no drag act watch the way she walks (this is when he is wondering if is transvestite, he is thinking not at this point)

Got the world locked up inside a plastic box (this is bout being post-op)

No tears, no fears, no ruin... NO COCKS (She is no tears + fears cos man is brave. i dunno bout ruin but no cocks is self explanatory.)

There is some other stuff too but that is all i remember right now.

Yeah new guy at work looks like Pap and is into all of this stuff. Started off by ripping him a bit but after a while it grows on you. Some songs are like highest level on Tetris when it just becomes impossible, others like this one are like drunken pirate gypsies. We are thinking of having our xmas party in torture garden this year.

What next from bear, "i have been listening to an old-time band called The Beatles. You may of heard of them. They is quite famous i understand."?

i will take ur word that grows on you tokyos, i don't want to risk it.

yeah i am at cutting edge of finding out about these little underground bands like doors who prob never got chance to make it big, so i is give them exposure. I am like saintsweb A&R dept.

Very excited that one of my favourite bands, Cloud Nothings, are putting out a new album very soon. Plus, a tour to come - highly recommend their stuff, and getting out to see them if you can.

Ps, we should pester mods to get soundcloud embedding to work

pps soundcloud works yo!

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud] Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Very excited that one of my favourite bands, Cloud Nothings, are putting out a new album very soon. Plus, a tour to come - highly recommend their stuff, and getting out to see them if you can.

Ps, we should pester mods to get soundcloud embedding to work

Previous album was superb.

For the old farts out there.

Never really been a massive ELO fan, but saw a documentary on Jeff Lynne. I only watched it for the George Harrison stuff, but found it quite interesting. Evidently he has re recorded all the old hits, playing all the instruments and all the vocals to give it a modern "feel". Decided to check it out, and it was pretty good.

I was surprised as I found myself singing along and getting a bit nostalgic. For a sixty something he's got a great voice and is obviously highly talented. If you're an old bastard, it's well worth a listen. The album has all the strings on , but he did a fantastic acoustic piece on the documentary.

[video=youtube;6-7vfDbkDhU]

I was a big Lightspeed Champion fan (also met him when he was watching The Long Blondes at Reading one year), but not really listened to the stuff he's done with Solange. Was actually going through my iPod the other day and had a little "I wonder what he's doing now?" moment when I brushed over that name.

The Long Blondes were a great band. I still listen to them regularly.

Here is my favourite:-

• 2 weeks later...

Message in the Music - The Ashley Beedle re-edits.

This is a fabulous double CD, and you'll be hard pushed to find a better release this year.

As a simple compilation album this would be a winner, the selections are first rate.

But each track has been worked on by the master of re-edits to bring out the best in each tune.

There are no duff tracks and no fillers.

Stand out tracks for me include Ruth Copeland's cover of the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter, which has become a 9 minute psychedelic masterpiece, Railroad Man by Bill Withers, Cymande's For Baby Ooh and Whatcha Gonna Do by Heaven n Hell. I have always been a fan of 60s prog / psych band Family (their first two albums are essential) so I was blown away by Ashley's treatment of Burlesque; he has teased out the drums and bass to create something that borders on obesity, it's so fat. And Roger Chapman's vocal....

Here's a taster from YouTube, Burlesque by Family for the prog-rock-funk heads.