Wayne Rooney - Pr*ck.

alpine_saint

Call me old-fashioned and naive, but it has always been my opinion that players ought to consider it an honour and a privilege to play for their country. They should consider it their duty to represent their nation with honour and class - not condescension and bad attitude. I don't care how good a player he is - if he can't behave himself, he doesn't deserve a place on the team. I'm with the likes of Alf Ramsey and Nigel Adkins on this - if you don't have the self-discipline and humility to be a team player, then you're not wanted.

Leave him at home. He's a good player for Man Utd. He's horse $hit for England and always has been. His form for England hasn't merited selection since Euro 2004. His positional indiscipline harms us and he doesn't contribute enough. If he wants to drop deep and get plaudits for spraying 50 yards passes all over the pitch, become a midfielder.

Leave him at home. He's a good player for Man Utd. He's horse $hit for England and always has been. His form for England hasn't merited selection since Euro 2004. His positional indiscipline harms us and he doesn't contribute enough. If he wants to drop deep and get plaudits for spraying 50 yards passes all over the pitch, become a midfielder.

Read the thread and was about to post, but there is no need as this is what I was going to say.

How many England goals has he scored in the last 3 years? Anyone?

It will be a miracle if we get out of the group stages anyway, and if we do why should we drop whoever is up front. Leave him behind, it's not like he blew us away at the world cup.

Breathtaking Stats.

Two World Cups 4 attempts 0 on target, 0 Goals and a sending off.And to think one of the Tabloids had a World Cup head to head feature pullout, Messi versus the Ginga Retard.FFS!

Give the young lads a go, Chamberlain, Walcott, Jones, Henderson, Young, Wilshere, Smalling etc. We're not going to win it and it would be good experience for them. Its time we saw the back of Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand and the like.

If you're doing that, give us Messi's world cup stats. For all Messi is a far better player, he's been largely a flop on the international stage and isn't popular in Argentina.

Just trying to point out that he is not going to be a hard act to follow at International level,the sad fact is that he is one of Engerlands "better" players,I find it very hard to get enthusiastic about any English side since the days of Gasconge Linekar Pearce etc

Give the young lads a go, Chamberlain, Walcott, Jones, Henderson, Young, Wilshere, Smalling etc. We're not going to win it and it would be good experience for them. Its time we saw the back of Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand and the like.

Agree. Use the Euro's to bed in some young talent. England always struggle to produce decent tournament displays unlike other countries who take under 17/18/19/20/21 tournaments more seriously. Take the case of Wilshire being too tired to play in under 21's last summer and in the recent under 20 world cup 36 England players were made unavailable by premier league clubs. England drew three group games nil nil and went out in the knock out stage 1-0 to Nigeria. Play this line up

Hart

Smalling, Cahill, Jones, Baines

Walcott, Cleverley, Wilshire, McEachran, Young

Sturridge

I agree that watching some of the young talent has been really refreshing. Interestingly I wouldn't say they were as good as some of the seasoned pros I really dislike but at international level they seem very effective, possibly more so than the older pros who just look so embarassingly robotic in big tournaments. Now add a passionate English manager and I'd be back on board.

He should still be picked. We'll get to quarters without him and then we really will need him.

We will NOT get to the QFs if we are drawn second seed to Spain or Holland. Rooney will be a passenger.

Best to blood some new youngsters, and if they pull off a shock or two, so be it. Otherswise, they will be ready for the WC 2014.

We will NOT get to the QFs if we are drawn second seed to Spain or Holland. Rooney will be a passenger.

Best to blood some new youngsters, and if they pull off a shock or two, so be it. Otherswise, they will be ready for the WC 2014.

don't the top two go through in the euros...?

don't the top two go through in the euros...?

God, you are dull-witted sometimes.

Yes, I know the top two go through.

But if we have Holland or Spain, you can count that already as one defeat. Then we only have to slip-up against one of the other two teams and we are out. Considering how invariably f**king awful we are usually in the first game, I would expect us to fail to qualify from the group stage.

How can you not take rooney ?? He is our best player, I mean FFS.

Take him, between now and then work on a replacement for the group stages of which any half decent england side should happily negotiate and then he is there, on the bench. The fact that he is there would worry any international team.

I for one, if England were in the Euro final for instance would rather him in the team then out of it. On form he is a world beater.

In the mean time play Young in his place.

Take him, between now and then work on a replacement for the group stages of which any half decent england side should happily negotiate and then he is there, on the bench. The fact that he is there would worry any international team.

I for one, if England were in the Euro final for instance would rather him in the team then out of it. On form he is a world beater.

Because he does not perform at his supposed ability for England, has a detrimental effect on the team, and maybe another player would enhance the whole team performance more than him. It would then be madness to disrupt that team.

So what performances in an England shirt have you seen of him in the past few years that make you think he's our best player? I'm intrigued...

so what he has a hot streak - many good players in the past have had one too. To not take him would be silly. He is our best attacking threat and just having him on the field creates problems for the opposition. In the qualifiers he was involved in a lot of our build up for chances/goals and CBF to google all the stats but im sure someone will.

I would definately have him on the pitch rather than defoe, crouch, sturridge, welbeck, bent.....If they take his place and score 4 or 5 in the group stages and prove me wrong then I'll admit it - but I cant see it happening.

Not sure why England dont play with Rooney & Walcott up front - Feel Walcott is a better finisher than Bent and a bit quicker. Bent though is a good lineker type 'right place right time' player. Anyway thats a whole different discussion.

World Cup 66... our best striker Jimmy Greaves, injured (i think) for the start of the tournament. If he wasnt it would have been unheard of to drop our, at the time, best striker. He is fit for the latter stages, we didnt use him, we won it., and OH MY GOD WE'RE GOING TO WIN TEH EUROZ 2012!!!

In summary, Greaves could have enjoyed the finals a lot more if he was watching it from the comfort of his own home. Leave Spuddy here.

so what he has a hot streak - many good players in the past have had one too. To not take him would be silly. He is our best attacking threat and just having him on the field creates problems for the opposition. In the qualifiers he was involved in a lot of our build up for chances/goals and CBF to google all the stats but im sure someone will.

I would definately have him on the pitch rather than defoe, crouch, sturridge, welbeck, bent.....If they take his place and score 4 or 5 in the group stages and prove me wrong then I'll admit it - but I cant see it happening.

Not sure why England dont play with Rooney & Walcott up front - Feel Walcott is a better finisher than Bent and a bit quicker. Bent though is a good lineker type 'right place right time' player. Anyway thats a whole different discussion.

I haven't seen him create too many problems for defenders for England recently. Welbeck has been more of a threat than Rooney in his brief cameos. Nothing in his performances for England suggest we miss him or are better off with him on the pitch. He's absolute pony for England and that's a fact. He's also shown himself to be a liability with his discipline. Just because he's good for Man Utd doesn't mean he is good for England. Whether it's the system England play, the other players or the fact his ability just might not be up to the standard required for international football he doesn't cut it for England and hasn't since 2004.

Two examples the Croatia game away and even the last game against Macedonia for the 2nd goal. He gets in the hole defenders get pulled to mark him and the quicker players get in behind the defence to create chances etc. He might not be playing as well as he does for Utd but the opposition do mark him tight so when he does drop he creates a lot of space for our pacey attacking guys. I'm sure there is more examples but I again CBF to find every single one since 2004.

Two examples the Croatia game away and even the last game against Macedonia for the 2nd goal. He gets in the hole defenders get pulled to mark him and the quicker players get in behind the defence to create chances etc. He might not be playing as well as he does for Utd but the opposition do mark him tight so when he does drop he creates a lot of space for our pacey attacking guys. I'm sure there is more examples but I again CBF to find every single one since 2004.

Oh well if he's turning it on against the likes of Macedonia then we HAVE to take him to the Euros... If he can do it against them, he's going to run rings around Spain, France, Holland, Italy, Portugal and Germany... You say Rooney makes space for the pacy, attacking guys but surely as a forward it should be his responsibility to be in these positions he seemingly "makes space" for. I just don't buy in to this theory that his positional discipline, or lack thereof, is of benefit to the national side.

Although stats don't always show you the whole story, they do not lie -

With Rooney

Played 73

Won 44

Lost 13

Drawn 16

For 139

Against 63

Win % 60.3%

Without Rooney

Played 29

Won 20

Lost 5

Drawn 4

For 64

Against 24

Win % 69%

I say drop the pr1ck along with fat Frank, thieving Gerrard, Terry and Cashley and use the touranment to let the youth gain experinece ready for the WC in 2014.

to let the youth gain experinece ready for the WC in 2014.

and then let the press rip them to bits when they dont win/ get to the semi's of the Euros....which is a more of a problem to the England team than Rooney.

He doesnt as an out and out striker, more like the Sheringham role. Anyone can see that surely?

I know what you are getting at but we don't benefit from it. If anything it hampers us. The difference is two-fold. Firstly Sheringham was better than Rooney at it for England and secondly, Rooney doesnt have the luxury of an Alan Shearer already leading the line.

With Rooney

Played 73

Won 44

Lost 13

Drawn 16

For 139

Against 63

Win % 60.3%

Without Rooney

Played 29

Won 20

Lost 5

Drawn 4

For 64

Against 24

Win % 69%

I say drop the pr1ck along with fat Frank, thieving Gerrard, Terry and Cashley and use the touranment to let the youth gain experinece ready for the WC in 2014.

There is no way that Terry is good enough, I think yours is a great idea.

So what performances in an England shirt have you seen of him in the past few years that make you think he's our best player? I'm intrigued...

Club form shows you what potential he has if England play in the right way, unfortunately for many years the england national team have been stuck in its prehistorical past, playing a cardboard and incredibly slow 442 and featuring the older established players I fear is more to do with image rights than any particular ability.

Rooney however is often involved in or around our goals, more creating then anything else. No he is not an out and out goalscorer in an england top but he has not done too bad in the role he has played and had he not kicked out we wouldn't even be talking about dropping the lad. FWIW I think a lot of the calls to cull the likes of rooney after his frankly daft idea he had that night against montenegro are more an outcry about how poor the england side look in general. Rooney, AFAIC didn't look all too bad however a midfield bereft of any real idea, flair or pace was shown up for what he did and Rooneys act of petulance, no matter how stupid was probably to do with his frustrations of playing in a team that does not match his desire or ability.

Club form shows you what potential he has if England play in the right way, unfortunately for many years the england national team have been stuck in its prehistorical past, playing a cardboard and incredibly slow 442 and featuring the older established players I fear is more to do with image rights than any particular ability.

Rooney however is often involved in or around our goals, more creating then anything else. No he is not an out and out goalscorer in an england top but he has not done too bad in the role he has played and had he not kicked out we wouldn't even be talking about dropping the lad. FWIW I think a lot of the calls to cull the likes of rooney after his frankly daft idea he had that night against montenegro are more an outcry about how poor the england side look in general. Rooney, AFAIC didn't look all too bad however a midfield bereft of any real idea, flair or pace was shown up for what he did and Rooneys act of petulance, no matter how stupid was probably to do with his frustrations of playing in a team that does not match his desire or ability.

Club form tells you he plays well in a team that is studded with players not legible to play for England. That's all. Rooney is every bit as involved in selection "due to image rights" as anyone else you may care to suggest. England players should be picked based partly on club form, but also their ability to fit in to the national side and make it a better side. This is why Senna played for Spain for years at the expense of Xabi Alonso and Cesc Fabregas. Not because he was technically a better player, just because he made Spain a better team. Rooney has not made England a better side since 2004. In fact, I would go as far to say he has made us a much slower, more pedestrian side than we would otherwise be in his last 2 World Cups. Unlike you, I am unwillingly the read in to his performances against the likes of Montenegro and Bulgaria in qualifying, which despite perhaps not being the worst in the world, certainly weren't that of an automatic, no-questions-asked starter.

With Rooney

Played 73

Won 44

Lost 13

Drawn 16

For 139

Against 63

Win % 60.3%

Without Rooney

Played 29

Won 20

Lost 5

Drawn 4

For 64

Against 24

Win % 69%

This, absolutely.

If Capello did it, I might be inclined to support England in Ukraine/Poland

Club form tells you he plays well in a team that is studded with players not legible to play for England. That's all. Rooney is every bit as involved in selection "due to image rights" as anyone else you may care to suggest. England players should be picked based partly on club form, but also their ability to fit in to the national side and make it a better side. This is why Senna played for Spain for years at the expense of Xabi Alonso and Cesc Fabregas. Not because he was technically a better player, just because he made Spain a better team. Rooney has not made England a better side since 2004. In fact, I would go as far to say he has made us a much slower, more pedestrian side than we would otherwise be in his last 2 World Cups. Unlike you, I am unwillingly the read in to his performances against the likes of Montenegro and Bulgaria in qualifying, which despite perhaps not being the worst in the world, certainly weren't that of an automatic, no-questions-asked starter.

And that is all the fault of arguably our most talented player ??

Behave

The whole set up that is England needs to be looked at, unfortunately it never will. The England team is more of a money making machine than any other team in international football IMO. Even with bringing in the likes of Capello who I held with such promise has not really done anything to prove to me we are making any strides forward. We play a 442 formation with little to no pace. Ok, against Montenegro it was more of a 42211/4231 or something but we still look so pedestrian, slow and devoid of ideas on the world stage which is so much different to the way some of our stars play at the weekend.

Yes, foreign imports do make a big impact but we do have the players to impact the way they do.

So what would you suggest ?? We drop all of our better players ?? Players that actually have a modicum of tournament experience ? I mean, what with the younger players they just do not have enough game time, I do agree that needs to be changed however. Lampard and Terry have not been the same players for a long time, Lampard has IMO long been dissinterested in the Three Lions.

I would also like to see any player that decides he is above U17's/U19's etc etc should be shunned from the England senior side and more should be put on clubs that try to refuse to send their players. Look at Arsenal and the refusal from Wilshere to play in the u21 tournament due to tiredeness only to play for a full england side and go on a tour of the swiss alps.

Pathetic.

Who exactly would you play instead of Rooney then ?? What is your England masterplan ?

I've no problem playing Rooney if he contributes to the team. My issue is that he doesn't do enough to warrant an automatic start, without questions asked. If he starts to contribute regularly, he should play. If he is going to get frustrated and kick out at players because his team mates apparently "aren't as good as him" despite the fact he did very little to stand out himself, then he should not be in the team. I can't see how this can be disputed.

and then let the press rip them to bits when they dont win/ get to the semi's of the Euros....which is a more of a problem to the England team than Rooney.

The press will rip the England team to shreds regardless of who plays and what happens (unless of course they win it, which they won't because they're not good enough) so I don't see there being any detriment to playing a large quantity of younger players.

I personally think if the youngens are played they will go further than what we actually will with the old fat ***ts playing.