When do we start signing arseholes?

Turkish

There is a huge difference between a professional in any job pursuing his career and ambitions and a mercenary looking for nothing more than a payday. If Rickie had gone to a decent Prem team that would be the former, if he'd gone to Leicester in the summer for the money, I think that would be mercenary. As for primadonnas, Cristiano Ronaldo was not a disruptive influence as far as I was aware, nor Balotelli (just a nutcase). Puncheon clearly is/was. It's about personality, not ability. The ideal player has both.

Show me a PL team comprised of nothing but inexpensive average ability pros who do their best and never cause any trouble, and I show you a team that, sooner or later, is heading for relegation.

It's not just in sport but in any walk of life, be it artistic endeavor, acting, journalism ... etc those special talents humanity throws up every now and then tend (more often than not) to 'have something about them' as they say. I'm more than happy for the honest hard working Dan Harding & Dean Hammond type players of this world to stay with us next season, but all those seasons when MLT's special talent kept us up (virtually single handed it seemed at times) taught me that we'll probably need a one (or even better two) truly special players in the squad as well.

If we're lucky enough to unearth one of those 'special ones' and he turns out to be a arrogant SOB who rubs the opposition and his own teammates up the wrong way but does things on a football pitch that make a real difference to games, then his teammates, his manager, & even the chairman will just have to learn how to cope with him.

All just a fans opinion of course.

Show me a PL team comprised of nothing but inexpensive average ability pros who do their best and never cause any trouble, and I show you a team that, sooner or later, is heading for relegation.

It's not just in sport but in any walk of life, be it artistic endeavor, acting, journalism ... etc those special talents humanity throws up every now and then tend (more often than not) to 'have something about them' as they say. I'm more than happy for the honest hard working Dan Harding & Dean Hammond type players of this world to stay with us next season, but all those seasons when MLT's special talent kept us up (virtually single handed it seemed at times) taught me that we'll probably need a one (or even better two) truly special players in the squad as well.

If we're lucky enough to unearth one of those 'special ones' and he turns out to be a arrogant SOB who rubs the opposition and his own teammates up the wrong way but does things on a football pitch that make a real difference to games, then his teammates, his manager, & even the chairman will just have to learn how to cope with him.

All just a fans opinion of course.

And one I agree with with, well said.!

....So when do we bite the bullet and decide that we have to pay a bit more, the players wont be nice blokes overjoyed to be here and that the might actually be a bit of a c*nt but they are great players who will push us on a level??

Well Turkish, we can hope that none of the people we sign will come into.... that "category"...

we've had enough dumb pric*s on the books in the past!

As far as I am aware Norwich City haven't survived the Premiership yet (just like we haven't been promoted). Give them a rubbish holiday programme and a few poor results afterwards and will Lambert and the 'Norwich model' look so great then?

See I can do that too...

There isn't one person on this forum who can predict the future accurately. Otherwise everyone in the world would have heard of them and they would have claimed the money off James Randi too.

I do wish some people would actually revel and enjoy where we currently are as a football club for a short while.....it doesn't happen very often. Or failing that go and support Manchester United like all the other no-imagination idiots we all know.

• 2 years later...
As we go further up the leagues there is going to be a point where players arent going to feel honoured to play for a massive club like Southampton like the likes of Hammond and Lambert said when they joined us in League one. Players wont be nice blokes who are pleased to be "on the bus" as some of you put it.

A lot of you seem to slate players for having the wrong attitude and being a bit of a big time charlie who might upset the team spirit but the higher up the leagues we go the more arrogant the players are going to be and the less of an honour it is to play for a massive club like Southampton when they can chose other massive clubs as well. There will be more Carlos Tevez types, who are just after a big pay day. We've seen a few of you turn your nose up at decent players because they want too much money, bit of an attitude etc etc. Kris Boyd the most recent one.

So when do we bite the bullet and decide that we have to pay a bit more, the players wont be nice blokes overjoyed to be here and that the might actually be a bit of a c*nt but they are great players who will push us on a level??

In light of the last few weeks looks like you might have been a lot closer to the truth than even you thought when you wrote this Turkish :adore:

As we go further up the leagues there is going to be a point where players arent going to feel honoured to play for a massive club like Southampton like the likes of Hammond and Lambert said when they joined us in League one. Players wont be nice blokes who are pleased to be "on the bus" as some of you put it.

A lot of you seem to slate players for having the wrong attitude and being a bit of a big time charlie who might upset the team spirit but the higher up the leagues we go the more arrogant the players are going to be and the less of an honour it is to play for a massive club like Southampton when they can chose other massive clubs as well. There will be more Carlos Tevez types, who are just after a big pay day. We've seen a few of you turn your nose up at decent players because they want too much money, bit of an attitude etc etc. Kris Boyd the most recent one.

So when do we bite the bullet and decide that we have to pay a bit more, the players wont be nice blokes overjoyed to be here and that the might actually be a bit of a c*nt but they are great players who will push us on a level??

Oh lets do a QPR and be ripped offed by overpaid, unwanted and overpriced so called big names - Chicorito anyone - forget it for me buy up and coming younger players and promote from the academy.........

Oh lets do a QPR and be ripped offed by overpaid, unwanted and overpriced so called big names - Chicorito anyone - forget it for me buy up and coming younger players and promote from the academy.........

Yes, because its one or the other, either we pay Kieran Dyer types £100k a week or we promote academy players.

Everyone seemed happy the Osvaldo signing when it was going through.

• 3 years later...

In light of current predicament this thread seems appropriate to resurrect...

pretty close Turks apart from the bit in bold turns out we will pay a bit more, they will take us to a new level but mostly they will just be ****s

Looks like we did.