Larger or Ale?

Dr Who?

Dont take the p!ss out of Fosters, it needs all the flavour it can get.

fosters is a womens drink surely?

Give me a real drink instead

tributeglass.jpg

Forgot about dogbolter, got ****faced on that stuff a few times in the 90's

5170293158_4f33b40a2e.jpg

owd roger available at ringwood brewery shop

marstons_owd_roger-161x300.jpg

450px-Abbot_Ale.JPG

pumppint_oldthumper.png

5171987600_ecaaeaf38e.jpg

As mentioned above in the thread, boddingtons , worthington best, john smiths, whitbread etc are ****ing horrible beers

Dont take the p!ss out of Fosters, it needs all the flavour it can get.

Was in Oz a few years ago seeing an Aussie mate. Went out to a restaurant and he (the Aussie) ordered up a Fosters. The waiter, when pouring it out, asked him in all sincerity if he was a foreigner. PMSL.

Well, this gives me an opportunity to ask a question. Whilst I may have a couple of real ales at the beginning of the evening in order to humour my bearded mates, I invariably switch to 'fizzy continental' and then maybe cider. However, fave ale is/was HSB. Is that brewed in Hampshire? Don't think that HSB is Marstons - but I always thought they had a connection with Hampshire also - any views?

Well, this gives me an opportunity to ask a question. Whilst I may have a couple of real ales at the beginning of the evening in order to humour my bearded mates, I invariably switch to 'fizzy continental' and then maybe cider. However, fave ale is/was HSB. Is that brewed in Hampshire? Don't think that HSB is Marstons - but I always thought they had a connection with Hampshire also - any views?

HSB was my drink of choice - problem was not many pubs in Soton sold it.

Brewed by Gales in Horndean (dangerously close to Skatesmuff), The Bay Tree (long time closed now) near Solent Uni was just about the only place in town. Quite a few places out in the sticks such as Romsey, Hamble etc sold it as well. I think Gales may have been swallowed up by one of the bigger brewerys as it certainly doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to.

Many a brain cell destroyed by HSB, at 5.4% it had a pretty strong kick to it, but tasted great.

Brewed by Gales in Horndean (dangerously close to Skatesmuff), The Bay Tree (long time closed now) near Solent Uni was just about the only place in town. Quite a few places out in the sticks such as Romsey, Hamble etc sold it as well. I think Gales may have been swallowed up by one of the bigger brewerys as it certainly doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to.

Many a brain cell destroyed by HSB, at 5.4% it had a pretty strong kick to it, but tasted great.

Drove through Horndean in the summer. The Gales Brewery is long gone and an eyesore in the centre of the village with fading For Sale signs on it. Sure won't be made there again.

Gone the same way as Gibbs Mew (thank fook for that)

Ale through and through and even more so since I moved to Australia. Lager, lets face it, has to be drunk ice cold so that what ever taste it had in the first place is completely diminished. (for the sake of mankind please let lager be forever banished!)

Australian mainstream beer is quite frankly 5h1te! For those that have had the displeasure of tasting the low-lights of the Australian mainstream beers (VB, XXXX, Carlton Draught, Crown, etc), there is one that tops them off as the ultimate chilled kangaroo's p155 - West End. Unfortunately it's made here in South Australia and is the most drunk beer here. Fortunately though where I live, McLaren Vale, isn't just one of Australia's famous wine regions it's got a growing reputation for Micro Brewery. There are 4 within 4km of my house which is fortunate because English ales cost $7.50 (about 5GBP) per bottle here from the liquor stores. There is also a growing popularity for craft beers with the massive rise of James Squires and Little Creatures

As far as fave drinks -

UK

Fullers - London Pride

Green King - Abbott Ale

Marston - Pedigree

Oz

Little Creatures - Rogers

Vale Ale

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Gales was swallowed by Fullers, and they turned a very pleasant stable of beers into just more corporate p*ss.

Ah, HSB in the Bay Tree - that brings back happy memories of wasted Saturdays! I used to love the winter ale that Gales brewed between October and March as well. The Newport Inn over at Braishfield was another Gales pub, and it's still exactly the same now as it was when I first went there on my 16th birthday in 1976! Home-made ham sandwiches and HSB - heaven.

As DSM has mentioned above, Gales was bought by Fullers and production eventually moved to Chiswick. Fullers make a fair number of decent beers, though sadly they've dropped all the Gales range bar HSB (and I'm sure that's not really what it was); I had a draft stout of theirs in a pub in Winchester a while back which was excellent. My girlfriend lives in Horndean, so I see the sad sight (or site) of the old Gales brewery pretty often. I gather it's a vast site, which you wouldn't know from the road, so it's hardly a surprise that it hasn't been sold.

Put me down as another fan of HSB at the Bay Tree! I used to go there every Saturday when I was in town. Also, that dive next to Kingsland Market sold it if I remember correctly........And that pub in the East Street Mall for a time. I need to get my home bar built, if only to have somewhere to put my enameled Old Thumper Tap handle thingy that the guy at the Eagle gave me! Wish I had an HSB one too. :(

Put me down as another fan of HSB at the Bay Tree! I used to go there every Saturday when I was in town. Also, that dive next to Kingsland Market sold it if I remember correctly........And that pub in the East Street Mall for a time. I need to get my home bar built, if only to have somewhere to put my enameled Old Thumper Tap handle thingy that the guy at the Eagle gave me! Wish I had an HSB one too. :(

This is all a bit scary - I was a regular in both The Bay Tree and The Angel virtually every week 76 - 79 and then about a couple of times a month till late 81.

We may have been at the bar or in the bogs at the same time - LOL

I remember when HSB first arrived in Winchester at the Theatre Bar, Jewry Street. The term 'real ale' hadn't been coined then (late 70s). We used to call it 'Horndean Special Buddha' because of it's ability to make one recline.

I was given a few beer mats (the long cloth ones, and loads of cardboard ones and a Gales tray in 83 as a wedding present by the then landlord Ian C.

This is all a bit scary - I was a regular in both The Bay Tree and The Angel virtually every week 76 - 79 and then about a couple of times a month till late 81.

Didnt go to the Bay Tree much but in the Angel almost every weekend from about 1979. Used to play hyper olympics video game with mates and the pool.

76-79 is about right for me too. Were you the guy that kept trying to look at my willy in the bogs?

76-79 is about right for me too. Were you the guy that kept trying to look at my willy in the bogs?

Nice try, but I think we all know it was the other way round. :D

Don't remember drinking in the Angel, but I used to go to the Joiners a hell of a lot when it was still a pub in the late 70s. Which brings to mind Eldridge Pope, another lost brewery. Their Royal Oak was a glorious beer. The Eastlleigh Hotel (now converted into flats) was an Eldridge Pope pub as I recall - spent many a lunchtime in there when I was in the 6th form. Amazing how long you could make a pint last back then!

Nice try, but I think we all know it was the other way round. :D

Don't remember drinking in the Angel, but I used to go to the Joiners a hell of a lot when it was still a pub in the late 70s. Which brings to mind Eldridge Pope, another lost brewery. Their Royal Oak was a glorious beer. The Eastlleigh Hotel (now converted into flats) was an Eldridge Pope pub as I recall - spent many a lunchtime in there when I was in the 6th form. Amazing how long you could make a pint last back then!

LOL ... this is getting mad .... The Eastleigh was my local!! On a Friday night between 6 to 10 of us (mostly under 18s!!) still couldn't bring the average age of people in the pub below 60!!

Happy Memorys asking The Fish/Kockle Man if he had Crabs, one by one celebrating our 18th birthdays in there when we'd been regulars for ages, buying a War Cry from The Sally Army, winning a joint of meat in the raffle. in the days before Electric Pumps and being able to use the same glass twice, ordering a half in a glass that had about 1/2 inch of beer left in just before closing time and getting it filled to the top!! Royal Oak was great, but I seem to remember they had Pompey Royal as well ....eek!

HSB was also available in The Ark at Townhill Park where they had electric diapraghm pumps. I think I had 8 pints once or twice on my birthdays... I actually liked Gales light mild which was available in very few pubs including the village I ended up living in: tastier than the ordinary, I thought. Winter Warmer good, as noted, but you needed a pub with turnover.

Shame about all the corporate blanding: Gales, Youngs etc. Thank goodness for the new microbreweries which make visits to the UK so interesting

LOL ... this is getting mad .... The Eastleigh was my local!! On a Friday night between 6 to 10 of us (mostly under 18s!!) still couldn't bring the average age of people in the pub below 60!! Happy Memorys asking The Fish/Kockle Man if he had Crabs, one by one celebrating our 18th birthdays in there when we'd been regulars for ages, buying a War Cry from The Sally Army, winning a joint of meat in the raffle. in the days before Electric Pumps and being able to use the same glass twice, ordering a half in a glass that had about 1/2 inch of beer left in just before closing time and getting it filled to the top!! Royal Oak was great, but I seem to remember they had Pompey Royal as well ....eek!
Pompey Royal was a Whitbread beer - they served it in the Cricketers in Fair Oak. I think it was a reinvention of the old Brickwoods Best Bitter, which Whitbread had tried to replace with Tankard (yuck!) but couldn't as it was too popular. So they hitched a ride on the real ale bandwagon instead and made a virtue of necessity. As I recall it was a nice beer, in spite of the name - then again, back in the late 70s and early 80s Pompey were an irrelevance to many Saints fans!

HSB was also available in The Ark at Townhill Park where they had electric diapraghm pumps. I think I had 8 pints once or twice on my birthdays... I actually liked Gales light mild which was available in very few pubs including the village I ended up living in: tastier than the ordinary, I thought. Winter Warmer good, as noted, but you needed a pub with turnover.

Shame about all the corporate blanding: Gales, Youngs etc. Thank goodness for the new microbreweries which make visits to the UK so interesting[/QUOT

What a hole that place was, skate landlord too

Didnt go to the Bay Tree much but in the Angel almost every weekend from about 1979. Used to play hyper olympics video game with mates and the pool.

We ruled the Space Invaders, replay every time!! Also the original nudge slot machines - my mate seemed to know all the reels and would hold seemimgly useless lines in the hope of a nudge then win jackpot (about a mighty 2 quid or so!!) Used to have good times on The Bar Football as well. Went in there last summer - christ it's gone downhill. Some dipstick tried giving me hassle by accusing me of being an undercover cop FFS. Luckily one or two guys could vouch for the fact that I used to be a regular by talking about the old days in there. They all obviously had something to feel guilty about in there, don't think I'll be back in a hurry.

Depends what i'm in the mood for, i go through phases too. If its a cold winter evening in the pub i'd rather a pint of ale really. But on a hot summers day pint of Fosters does fine.

Also if i'm on a session i'll probably go larger for most of the night because i find it lighter.

Found a good beer called Resolute i was enjoying.

Taste.

I'm a persona non grata with some mates because despite being from Salisbury I actually don't like ANY Hopback beers.

Personally, when I'm on the plane back to Heathrow ALL I can think about is that first pint of 6X. We end up having to go to the most expensive Pub in town (Old Ale House) simply because they keep it well.

After that, Courage Best (or Directors), Doombar and when in London London Pride or ESB. OSH comes in just behind those, although down here it is one of the best bottled ones we can get.

Think it's the richer slightly creamier flavours that I like. I also think that being unable to have Ale that often here I become far more anal about ONLY having it on short trips back home. Normally happy to guzzle Lager all night in a pub here with an occassional Guinness thrown in.

On my last trip to "The Hole in the Wall" - aka Barracuda Beach Resort (long story another time) I was amazed to find that they had approaching THIRTY different English Ales in Bottles or Cans. That is one hell of a change from even 5 years ago. Hell I even got some Old Thumper up there last trip.

I hope & pray this new Marstons Pedigree attempt to get "realish" Ale into local pubs succeeds. It tasted like NECTAR (also went down DAMNED fast ouch)

We have two licenced booze importers here, one is run by Brits so think they are having a real go at it.

I also found (to my SHOCK) the Corporate Heineken Tent at the Rugby 7's had London Pride on tap so there IS hope, not so sure THAT works in a two day session though :?

Favourite Lager? I get through Tsing Tao by the bucketful. It is by far the cheapest Lager we can get (16 quid for 24 x 33cl cans) - compared to Bottled Ale at around 35 quid for 500cl cans or OSH bottles at 35 quid for 12 bottles)

Tsing Tao is simple light & refreshing, no odd aftertaste like Fosters or Heineken. (NOTE to anyone ever flying here - buy a case at Arrivals Duty Free 66p a can versus 7quid in a pub/mini-bar or room service!

I also keep some Magners when available perfect in the summer after Golf in 50C heat but again it's damned expensive.

....bloody thirsty now. Don't like the cream flow stuff, and have a leaning towards the darker porter ales, although Ramsbury Gold and 6X go down a treat. Drink the local lager on the continent though.

fosters is a womens drink surely?

Give me a real drink instead

tributeglass.jpg

Forgot about dogbolter, got ****faced on that stuff a few times in the 90's

5170293158_4f33b40a2e.jpg

owd roger available at ringwood brewery shop

marstons_owd_roger-161x300.jpg

450px-Abbot_Ale.JPG

pumppint_oldthumper.png

5171987600_ecaaeaf38e.jpg

As mentioned above in the thread, boddingtons , worthington best, john smiths, whitbread etc are ****ing horrible beers

• 2 weeks later...
This would've made a good poll.

Boags premium, crown, tooheys extra dry (lager)

Boags yes, Extra Dry maybe, Crown - NO!

Went to Sail and Anchor at Fremantle, Perth last night and had 'UK IPA'. Was quite nice, but basically lager with orange colour. BWS are/were doing 12 Loewenbrau for $25 and they are nice, albeit Ozzie brewed.

We have a local brewery in Liverpool called Cains. Does some pretty good stuff, including ale and lager.

Went on a tour there with the British Computer Society ( excerpt: pap's rock 'n roll lifestyle ) - found out that the term "getting wellied" originated from there.

Apparently, the brewery used to let people drink on the job, but put a stop to it. Those cheeky chappy Liverpudlians found a way around this, of course. Before scooting off on a break, they'd fill one of their watertight boots with ale to sneak it past the management. Hence, the term "getting wellied" (Wellington) was born. Personally, I wouldn't drink anything that went anywhere near my feet, but there you go.

Also, if you are going to have a couple of pints before a brewery tour, make sure you get shot of them before the tour commences. Really not fun walking around a large brewery busting for a pee.