Larger or Ale?

Dr Who?

You guys have NO idea how lucky you are to be able to drink Ale.

We have had to put up with canned or bottled stuff for years, (apart from Kilkenny that is) although in past few weeks Marstons Pedigree has made an appearance and is properly served to (almost) taste like the real thing.

In answer to the OP

Lager when I need a cold one (ie most months from April-October when it is stupid hot) Ale whenever I can find it

I went out with some old friends on the weekend for a wet-the-babys-head celebration and had a pint of lager for the first time in I don't know how long, as they didn't appear to have any decent ale or cider in the bar we were in. I went for Amstel as I remember I liked it when I went to Amsterdam some years ago, and it didn't taste of anything. It was just gassy, flavourless p*ss-water and served only to reinforce the reasons why I began drinking ale instead.

I went for Amstel as I remember I liked it when I went to Amsterdam some years ago, and it didn't taste of anything. It was just gassy, flavourless p*ss-water and served only to reinforce the reasons why I began drinking ale instead.

Dutch friend of mine cries when tastes British brewed Heineken.

Ales all the way. Although I do have bottles of fizzy **** to knock off the thirst.

Current favourites are Ringwood Best, Deuchars IPA, Thwaites Wainwrights and Dorset Brewing Company's Chesil which is a lovely pilsner. Also love wheat beers and the local supermarket seems to have stopped stocking Meantime's one in favour of the usual InBev crap that is mass produced and tasteless.

I love these threads, as if there is a general arbiter of taste to eventually judge who is right and who is wrong. Drink what you like and enjoy it - don't get all snobbish about it. Personally it's lager all the way for me - "ale" I just don't like. I do like Guinness though and grew up on mild (hate that stuff now though). Ultimately though I don't think it's "ale" I dislike as much as the people who decry anyone who doesn't like it. Get a grip - do you really want to be a beer version of a wine snob?

I enjoy Lager but prefer proper German Halles, genuinely good beer that provides the refreshment for greater taste then the mass produced typicals (Carlsberg, Fosters, Carling etc.) AND it doesn't give you a stinking hangover thanks to the purity laws.

There is something to be said for a good pint of IPA on a Summers evening though.

If I happen to find myself in a pub that is serving Hobgoblin / Copper Dragon / Jennings or something similar then I'll have that. Isn't usually the case though so I'll plump for a Lager, which isn't the end of the world if it comes in a clean glass and the pipes are clean, I find that a pint in a spoons' or similar chain usually tastes ****ing horrible compared to a more "local" pub.

Has to be lager from the super market too as they charge too bloody much for bottles of the good stuff.

Both. Depends what pub I'm in. I'm vaguely fussy about what I drink and can't abide the generic Carling, Fosters, John Smiths sort of stuff.

No Guiness though, I find it rank. It should also be illegal for anyone to order more than one pint of it at a time as it takes so long to pour.

Ale.

Some of my current favourites:

Abbot's

Badger

Bombardier

Caledonia 80/-

London Pride

Hobgoblin

Pedigree

Old Speckled Hen

As Phil alluded to earlier, Draught Ale is a rarity here in The Sand Pit. Kilkenny is about all we get, but from the booze stores more and more Bottled Ales are appearing.

I have a choice of London Pride, Spitfire, Old Mans Ale, Leg Over and The Match Day staple of Old Speckled Hen at the moment.

Lager if nowt else available but would go the Cider route first if possible.

As Phil alluded to earlier, Draught Ale is a rarity here in The Sand Pit. Kilkenny is about all we get, but from the booze stores more and more Bottled Ales are appearing.

I have a choice of London Pride, Spitfire, Old Mans Ale, Leg Over and The Match Day staple of Old Speckled Hen at the moment.

Lager if nowt else available but would go the Cider route first if possible.

Like I mentioned, I've now found Marstons Pedigree in TWO pubs so there is hope.

On the Lager subject as someone else mentioned above, ONE benefit of being down here is that our Fosters comes from Aus, our Heineken from Holland, Peroni from Italy etc.

In fact the only tasteless Lager we can find here is...

Carling Black Label.

Brits really cannot brew Lager properly, when I come back, about the only Lager I can drink is 1664

Oh and the other I discovered here is that our Guinness comes from Dublin which also made for a huge taste difference

A good many people start out drinking lager as kids and go on to ales as their tastes and palletes mature. There is a decent selection of ales here if you are willing to travel and spend an arm and a leg. They don't have bitter here though, so I have to brew my own. I do 10 gallons every fortnight or thereabouts.

A good many people start out drinking lager as kids and go on to ales as their tastes and palletes mature. There is a decent selection of ales here if you are willing to travel and spend an arm and a leg. They don't have bitter here though, so I have to brew my own. I do 10 gallons every fortnight or thereabouts.

Helps explain MatchDay postings doesn't it :spaz: :toppa:

Wouldn't it be better to ask the question, are you over 30 or under 30.

Id hazard a guess that those on here that have said they prefer lager are under 30, and those that prefer ale are over!!

I'm an ale man myself, "is it as good as Tribute" is how I measure my ales....

Ale, hate lager.

Tribute ale is orgasmic, as is abbott ale, doombar, timothy taylor, 49er,fullers golden pride ( 8,5 %)

This. Beautiful pints of bitter that are a pure pleasure to drink when I travel back to the UK. If you like these 2, try Betty Stoggs which is also Cornish and pure joy.

Lager definitely has it's place (great when you have been nursing a hangover all day) or from the good European breweries, but for taste, has to be ale.

Not forgetting the legendary old thumper

this stuff is unbelievable, just hits me sideways compared to other ale!

took me a lot of practice for my pallete to accept ale, currently I shift between old speckled hen, 6x or Ringwood best, but will always move to Summer Lightening or Old Thumper if im lucky enough to find it on tap/bottle..

Still do Lager if I goto town though as it's less hassle

Oh dear you better tell him it is all imported. Hasn't been brewed over here for ages.

Timmys friend looks silly now, as does Timmy for telling the story.

Dune in 'smug but wrong again' shocker. Congratulations on falling for the marketing, you need to look through the spin a bit more. Heineken import a little bit of bottled beer and use that to create the illusion that all Heineken is from Holland. Draught Heineken sold in the UK is brewed in the UK. The bottled stuff, a minor part of sales, may come from Holland but may also come from some other random brewery - in which case the label will say 'Imported' rather than 'Brewed in Holland'. Thats why ads feature bottles rather than pints - they are very adept at misleading. With Heineken they have managed to stay within the law, with Kronenbourg, not.

http://www.chinchinjobs.com/news/article/heineken-told-to-drop-kronenbourg-brewed-in-france-claim-1829

http://m.local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/23489-edinburgh-based-heineken-misleads-consumers-with-false-claims/

Heineken: "As a business committed to the UK, we are proud that more than 95% of our beer sold in the UK is brewed in the UK".

http://www.heineken.co.uk/pdf/Heineken%20UK%20Sustainability%20Report%202010.pdf

Edited by buctootim

There is no contest, Real Ale all the time.

Occasional, on a very hot day I may have a cold bottle of Peroni or Miller genuine draft, but I wont drink lager out of a can, or in a pub. No real ale and I'll have a Guinness, if only lager, I'll walk. John Smith's/Worthingtons/Boddingtons any smoothflow sort of stuff is as bad as lager and avioded at all cost.

Have always been a bitter man. Started on Trophy 35 years ago,quickly moved on to Strongs and have been an ale man ever since.

Fav is Tanglefoot.

Like I mentioned, I've now found Marstons Pedigree in TWO pubs so there is hope.

On the Lager subject as someone else mentioned above, ONE benefit of being down here is that our Fosters comes from Aus, our Heineken from Holland, Peroni from Italy etc.

In fact the only tasteless Lager we can find here is...

Carling Black Label.

Brits really cannot brew Lager properly, when I come back, about the only Lager I can drink is 1664

Oh and the other I discovered here is that our Guinness comes from Dublin which also made for a huge taste difference

All Guinness has been brewed in Dublin since 2005.

So Dubai Guinness probably not so superior after all then.

Huge taste difference my arse.

All Guinness has been brewed in Dublin since 2005.

So Dubai Guinness probably not so superior after all then.

Huge taste difference my arse.

'Kin ell. People have no idea about how to see through marketing do they? Guinness is brewed in 50 locations worldwide. Guiness did close the London brwery due to falling sales so mostly UK Guiness does come from Ireland. However the stuff in Dubai probably does taste totally different. In Nigeria they even use a different recipe.

Edited by buctootim