Jose Fonte

SFC Chris

2 goals, his fault.

Has to be said sorry.

Doesn't mean he's sh1t all of a sudden though.

Needs to learn from today, pick himself up and for the whole team to be ready for boro!

Reading were very very lucky today.

Plus the Blackpool game but overall his game has been drifting downwards for quite a while........No longer the player he looked in Div 1....Sorry but it really does look as though his time is nearly up. Personally I would drop him as the final teams we have to play will be playing it over the top and putting tall mobile guys up against him.

Not at this stage of the season, no way. These lads got us there and they will get us over the line. Believe.

It's not really about 'believing' though is it?

Too many people are blinded by Fonte's performances earlier this season or even last year. He has been terrible lately, with lapses of concentration seemingly creeping into his game more and more and has looked rediculously lightweight.

I'd far rather have somone like Martin coming in with something to prove rather than an off-form, underperforming and lacking confidence Jose Fonte. These games are too important to have passengers in the team (I do beleive Jos has carried him for the last few months).

It's not really about 'believing' though is it?

Too many people are blinded by Fonte's performances earlier this season or even last year. He has been terrible lately, with lapses of concentration seemingly creeping into his game more and more and has looked rediculously lightweight.

I'd far rather have somone like Martin coming in with something to prove rather than an off-form, underperforming and lacking confidence Jose Fonte. These games are too important to have passengers in the team (I do beleive Jos has carried him for the last few months).

Martin made a few mistakes when in the team earlier this season and probably no better than Fonte at the moment, hopefully these recent mistakes will buck Fonte up a bit.

Maybe the arrival of Jos has caused Fonte's drop in form? Jos seems to command the ball more and imo plays to many long balls whwn in possession, which is more than Fonte. Fonte is quite laid back. Overall I would have Fonte in any team above Jos, far better player all round.

He has been very average this season, lucky to have Jos alongside him who has bailed him out countless times.

Watching the goals back last night, I couldn't help but think I was watching a different player to the one I watched totally outclass League One. The first goal, he made no effort to get to the ball and I'm lost as to what he was actually doing and the third... WTF!? I can forgive for the sloppy header back to Kelv, that shít happens, but he went back towards goal and literally just watched Le Fondre slot it bast him, no genuine attempt to stop it or try and cover as much of the goal as possible. The thought that actually crossed my mind...?

Bruce Grobbelaar.

Well I don't think any of us are inferring anything like that right enough, a few bad games doesn't make someone a cheat!

It is alarming though how easily he was outmuscled by Dobbie for the second at Blackpool, then have Roberts give him the slightest of nudges to give him a clear header on Friday, not to mention La Fondre seemingly able to match up physically with him for thE third.

I really don't know why but he seems incapable of dealing with any kind of physical threat, no matter how large or small in stature. This is obviously bad news for a centre half...

But it was frequently stated that not good enough, as not tried at this level.

Reading sign him for about £300,000 . No further comment.

...certainly they weren't risking anything buying Le Fondre for that price ...

I watched him do the self same thing in recent game v. Leeds. 0-0 at 80 mins..and he came on and scored TWICE then too.

Fonte is quite laid back. Overall I would have Fonte in any team above Jos, far better player all round.

They have two different styles. As did Lunderkvam and Michael Svensson (for those with longer memories).

You need the " first man " to be agressive, NO FRILLS ! Jos does that in my book. Get the ball first and hope you don't have to foul someone in the process.

Fonte is calmer (laid back - if you like), but he looks TOO slow, and Prem. standard players are much faster to the ball.

If he continues to play like that, Prem. attacks would murder us...and (unlike you) I'd certainly keep Jos..and buy another TWO CHs.

note: Martin is improving all the time, but Jaidi retires in June, and Seaborne's future is very uncertain.

Although I must admit I find pigeonholing players into their true level to be a difficult business, let's just say I'm far from convinced that any of our first choice defenders are really of PL standard. For my money Hooiveld and Richardson look the most likely at the moment, with Fox, Fonte, and Davis showing all the signs of being little more than PL 'squad' players maybe. It should go without saying that we're not promoted as yet of course.

In a perfect world I'd like to see our defence bolstered by (at least) one quality CB and a better LB this summer, with Rahdi Jaidi, Seaborne and Dan Harding being released.

Although I must admit I find pigeonholing players into their true level to be a difficult business, let's just say I'm far from convinced that any of our first choice defenders are really of PL standard. For my money Hooiveld and Richardson look the most likely at the moment, with Fox, Fonte, and Davis showing all the signs of being little more than PL 'squad' players maybe. It should go without saying that we're not promoted as yet of course.

In a perfect world I'd like to see our defence bolstered by (at least) one quality CB and a better LB this summer, with Rahdi Jaidi, Seaborne and Dan Harding being released.

It's Jaidi's last year, we know that.Afterwards I think he's going to take up some other role within the club.As for Seaborne and Harding it's going to depend on their contracts.Harding's might be up at the end of this season but for Seaborne I just don't know.

We seem to have some contracts with automatic renewal clauses if the players plays more than X games in the season.

We'll need at least 2 new full backs and at least 1 CB though although I'd go for at least 2 there as well.

and tbh, Martin didn't really do a lot wrong during his spell in the team. In fact, I thought he was the better centre half

W/L statistics tell you otherwise but that's not necessarily Martin's fault.

If you want to play Martin you need a left sided CB with him and then there's the constructive play role that he hasn't really mastered yet. I'd still like to see what we could do with Martin and Jos at the back and Fonte playing in front of them,Morgan on the left, Cork on the right and Lallana behind the 2 strikers...Tad and Rickie for preference.

Watching the goals back last night, I couldn't help but think I was watching a different player to the one I watched totally outclass League One. The first goal, he made no effort to get to the ball and I'm lost as to what he was actually doing and the third... WTF!? I can forgive for the sloppy header back to Kelv, that shít happens, but he went back towards goal and literally just watched Le Fondre slot it bast him, no genuine attempt to stop it or try and cover as much of the goal as possible. The thought that actually crossed my mind...?

Bruce Grobbelaar.

Even in League 1 he would regularly make major positional errors that could of cost (close to 1 per game). Being League 1 this never transpired into goals most of the time and fans chose to ignore this and accentuate the positives. I thought at the time he was trying to cover for others too much at the expense of his own game but that has proven not to be the case. Fonte is a real Jekyll and Hyde character, where one situation he is class and elegance personified, another in headless chicken mode. To me the problems that get him into trouble are positional which is followed by donning the chicken outfit to remedy the error. Fonte is still an excellent player, just not the footballing god some fans have attached to him. I believe his best position would be as the holding midfield player but we have others not bad there and CB is the real need for us at the moment.

Utter crap. Fonte is quality. Get off his back. Just like being a keeper -You remember all the mistakes but forget all the brilliant things. He also brings the ball out of defence superbly and makes me feel more comfortable with the ball at his feet than jos does. Try encouraging instead of criticising.

Utter crap. Fonte is quality. Get off his back. Just like being a keeper -You remember all the mistakes but forget all the brilliant things. He also brings the ball out of defence superbly and makes me feel more comfortable with the ball at his feet than jos does. Try encouraging instead of criticising.
I get behind every single one of our players when at the match but I fully reserve the right to have a moan when back in the pub or on here.

You're absolutely right, he should be praised and admired for his efforts the last few weeks...

As much as I lick his arse when he is 'mazin, I will criticise when he is sheeeeite. Friday, he was sheeeeite, so I will criticise.

Jose Fonte .....great player and sooooo glad he is in our team..

Will also be a top player in the top league next season...

WIFM

As I said in another post, it's easy to be a great defender when your team dominates possession and you're comfortably winning At times this season he's struggled and seems to suffer from lapses In concentration. Our defence is great when we are being flat track bullies and dominating teams at home but when put under pressure we often concede. I genuinely cannot remember us grinding out a win this Due to an outstanding defensive display like Reading have done. Most of our clean sheets have come in games where we've won 2 or 3 nil, not many 1-0 wins. Which suggests as individuals and as a unit our defence isn't as good as some seem to believe it is.

Edited by Turkish

re watch match, Fonte was at fault for 1 and 3

1st was Fox's fault, pure and simple. His pass was totally awful, if that put Fonte under pressure then so be it, but it was Fox's fault, not Fonte's. As for the 3rd, does it really matter We were pushing to equalise, always chance that we would concede 3rd. The 1st was the shocker, we were totally in command at the time, and would not have lost if Fox had not made such a total feck up. But will not blame Fox overall, has been pretty good overall, everyone makes a mistake at some time. Fonte has been good this season, but is now overshadowed by Jos for sure. Sadly the goals dried up for Jose, he got 6 last season I think, none this. I think he has not been quite the same since he got his hair cut, needs to let it grow again.

1st was Fox's fault, pure and simple. His pass was totally awful, if that put Fonte under pressure then so be it, but it was Fox's fault, not Fonte's. As for the 3rd, does it really matter We were pushing to equalise, always chance that we would concede 3rd. The 1st was the shocker, we were totally in command at the time, and would not have lost if Fox had not made such a total feck up. But will not blame Fox overall, has been pretty good overall, everyone makes a mistake at some time. Fonte has been good this season, but is now overshadowed by Jos for sure. Sadly the goals dried up for Jose, he got 6 last season I think, none this. I think he has not been quite the same since he got his hair cut, needs to let it grow again.[/quote]

He is like a modern day Sansom.

Fonte has been poor this season in comparison to last, and IF we go up, would get roasted week in week out in the Prem! No where near good enough.

That said dropping him now with 3 games to go could prove even more detrimental that leaving him in. If it wasn't the final run-in I would definitely drop him for Martin, although Martin hasn't confidence me either - he's made quite a few mistakes too especially giving away possession with some poor passing.

Whatever happens, we need 1-2 more CB's next season of Jos' ilk, or even better if we make the Prem...

Of the team that stared against Reading there would be only five that would make my starting line up in the Prem.

Davis

Jos

AL

Sharpe

Lambert

that would be just 4 for me then but I'd add Cork,he'll be better when he has more outlet balls open to him, in fact he'll be quite good. The thing about Friday is that our guy who you can always pass to if you're in the shîtter wasn't there.Like music with no

coda or no metronome.

Of the team that stared against Reading there would be only five that would make my starting line up in the Prem.

Davis

Jos

AL

Sharpe

Lambert

The only 100% certain starters for me would be Jos and Rickie.

Lallana and Sharpe would have a lot to prove to me over the summer. But they would get whatever help I could offer.

Very uncertain about Kelvin. We need to at least start thinking about his replacement.

1st was Fox's fault, pure and simple. His pass was totally awful, if that put Fonte under pressure then so be it, but it was Fox's fault, not Fonte's. As for the 3rd, does it really matter We were pushing to equalise, always chance that we would concede 3rd. The 1st was the shocker, we were totally in command at the time, and would not have lost if Fox had not made such a total feck up. But will not blame Fox overall, has been pretty good overall, everyone makes a mistake at some time. Fonte has been good this season, but is now overshadowed by Jos for sure. Sadly the goals dried up for Jose, he got 6 last season I think, none this. I think he has not been quite the same since he got his hair cut, needs to let it grow again.

Fonte made no attempt to head the ball away. He didn't mark Roberts either. both mistakes cost us the goal

The only 100% certain starters for me would be Jos and Rickie.

Lallana and Sharpe would have a lot to prove to me over the summer. But they would get whatever help I could offer.

Very uncertain about Kelvin. We need to at least start thinking about his replacement.

I've been thinking about his replacement... for the past couple of seasons...and not because I don't rate him, but because " in the event of ..." - I just don't see Bart as a viable alternative.