Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

On 05/03/2022 at 18:50, badgerx16 said:

Season 2 of ST Picard just started on AMAZON Prime.

On 09/03/2022 at 11:46, Sheaf Saint said:

Very much enjoyed that first episode. Probably the best single episode of Trek since the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

Was just great to see some of the Starfleet ships from that era again, only in glorious 4K. The new Stargazer is a thing of beauty.

Looking forward to how the season pans out. I enjoyed S1 very much but the finale was a bit of a let-down.

I saw on my feed this morning that S3 has wrapped production, so hopefully we won't have such a long wait for that as we did between 1 and 2.

"A safe Ukraine is a Russian Ukraine".

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the latest Picard episode - surprised to see that the space mission in 2024 is using the same computer safety software used in the Apollo missions - "We have a 1202 alarm....".

On 02/04/2022 at 03:16, badgerx16 said:

Just watched the latest Picard episode - surprised to see that the space mission in 2024 is using the same computer safety software used in the Apollo missions - "We have a 1202 alarm....".

Was surprised to not see Ryker appear at some point during this series, then noticed he directed that episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Gcuti Fatwa might well be the first "person of colour" to play The Doctor as the lead character, but he isn't the first to play conti an incarnation - Jo Martin played the Fugitive Doctor in 3 episodes earlier in Jodie Whittaker's tenurre.

If all the necessary boxes are to be ticked, presumably Whittaker's Doctor will continue to develop her apparent infatuation with Yas.

Edited by badgerx16

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Matrix: Resurrection over the weekend, although perhaps Regurgitation would have been a better title. What a load of utter shit. Just a lazy re-hash of the original film that tries too hard to be clever but makes no sense whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watched Matrix: Resurrection over the weekend, although perhaps Regurgitation would have been a better title. What a load of utter shit. Just a lazy re-hash of the original film that tries too hard to be clever but makes no sense whatsoever. 

I only managed 20 minutes before giving up.

On a brighter note, The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are reasonable additions to the Star Wars canon.

On 07/06/2022 at 21:07, badgerx16 said:

I only managed 20 minutes before giving up.

On a brighter note, The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are reasonable additions to the Star Wars canon.

I'm mostly enjoying the Obi-Wan series, but there's a lot of silliness in it. Like when the 3 guys chased young Leia in Ep1 it was a bit like the Keystone Cops. 

On 07/06/2022 at 17:40, Sheaf Saint said:

Agreed. I wasn't really expecting much after the last couple, so would have been easily please. But it still managed to be incredibly dull. Far too obsessed with fanservice and navel gazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2022 at 20:51, badgerx16 said:

I understand that life on Tatooine was hard, but these 2 pictures are separated by just 9 years;

image.jpeg.8f35b63bedd8c0e14947c6bea537f6e2.jpeg

image.jpeg.5e3f4001d5fa1e3636696ca151f1ed35.jpeg

Ewan McGregor is 51 now, and Alec Guiness was 63 when A New Hope was released. It's really not a huge discrepancy. Only 3 years.

Paramount+ has now launched in the UK, so I signed up and watched the first 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds.

Quite encouraged by what I've seen so far. The good thing is that we've already had the groundwork of the character introductions laid for Pike, Spock and No1 in S2 of Discovery. The return of the episodic format to the Star Trek franchise is most welcome, and I already feel like I am more familiar with the other bridge officers than I am with any of the 'supporting cast' of Discovery.

As there are only 3 episodes of SNW currently available, I'm gonna give the Halo series a go. From what I'm told, if you're not a hardcore fan of the game series and can overlook the rewriting of the canon, it's actually very good. I only ever played the first two games anyway and that was a long time ago, so I expect it won't matter to me.

On 27/06/2022 at 22:40, Sheaf Saint said:

Paramount+ has now launched in the UK, so I signed up and watched the first 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds.

Quite encouraged by what I've seen so far. The good thing is that we've already had the groundwork of the character introductions laid for Pike, Spock and No1 in S2 of Discovery. The return of the episodic format to the Star Trek franchise is most welcome, and I already feel like I am more familiar with the other bridge officers than I am with any of the 'supporting cast' of Discovery.

As there are only 3 episodes of SNW currently available, I'm gonna give the Halo series a go. From what I'm told, if you're not a hardcore fan of the game series and can overlook the rewriting of the canon, it's actually very good. I only ever played the first two games anyway and that was a long time ago, so I expect it won't matter to me.

Being a tight git I am waiting for SNW to get to the end of it's run before taking up a 7 day trial through AMAZON so I can binge watch it. As for HALO, I watched the first episode when it aired on one of the ch5 channels a few days ago; there didn't seem to be much plot development, but there was a lot of shooting.

Edited by badgerx16