Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

On 05/03/2022 at 18:50, badgerx16 said:

Season 2 of ST Picard just started on AMAZON Prime.

On 09/03/2022 at 11:46, Sheaf Saint said:

Very much enjoyed that first episode. Probably the best single episode of Trek since the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

Was just great to see some of the Starfleet ships from that era again, only in glorious 4K. The new Stargazer is a thing of beauty.

Looking forward to how the season pans out. I enjoyed S1 very much but the finale was a bit of a let-down.

I saw on my feed this morning that S3 has wrapped production, so hopefully we won't have such a long wait for that as we did between 1 and 2.

"A safe Ukraine is a Russian Ukraine".

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2022 at 03:16, badgerx16 said:

Just watched the latest Picard episode - surprised to see that the space mission in 2024 is using the same computer safety software used in the Apollo missions - "We have a 1202 alarm....".

Was surprised to not see Ryker appear at some point during this series, then noticed he directed that episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gcuti Fatwa might well be the first "person of colour" to play The Doctor as the lead character, but he isn't the first to play conti an incarnation - Jo Martin played the Fugitive Doctor in 3 episodes earlier in Jodie Whittaker's tenurre.

If all the necessary boxes are to be ticked, presumably Whittaker's Doctor will continue to develop her apparent infatuation with Yas.

Edited by badgerx16

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Matrix: Resurrection over the weekend, although perhaps Regurgitation would have been a better title. What a load of utter shit. Just a lazy re-hash of the original film that tries too hard to be clever but makes no sense whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watched Matrix: Resurrection over the weekend, although perhaps Regurgitation would have been a better title. What a load of utter shit. Just a lazy re-hash of the original film that tries too hard to be clever but makes no sense whatsoever. 

I only managed 20 minutes before giving up.

On a brighter note, The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are reasonable additions to the Star Wars canon.

On 07/06/2022 at 21:07, badgerx16 said:

I only managed 20 minutes before giving up.

On a brighter note, The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are reasonable additions to the Star Wars canon.

I'm mostly enjoying the Obi-Wan series, but there's a lot of silliness in it. Like when the 3 guys chased young Leia in Ep1 it was a bit like the Keystone Cops. 

On 07/06/2022 at 17:40, Sheaf Saint said:

Agreed. I wasn't really expecting much after the last couple, so would have been easily please. But it still managed to be incredibly dull. Far too obsessed with fanservice and navel gazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2022 at 20:51, badgerx16 said:

I understand that life on Tatooine was hard, but these 2 pictures are separated by just 9 years;

image.jpeg.8f35b63bedd8c0e14947c6bea537f6e2.jpeg

image.jpeg.5e3f4001d5fa1e3636696ca151f1ed35.jpeg

Ewan McGregor is 51 now, and Alec Guiness was 63 when A New Hope was released. It's really not a huge discrepancy. Only 3 years.

Paramount+ has now launched in the UK, so I signed up and watched the first 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds.

Quite encouraged by what I've seen so far. The good thing is that we've already had the groundwork of the character introductions laid for Pike, Spock and No1 in S2 of Discovery. The return of the episodic format to the Star Trek franchise is most welcome, and I already feel like I am more familiar with the other bridge officers than I am with any of the 'supporting cast' of Discovery.

As there are only 3 episodes of SNW currently available, I'm gonna give the Halo series a go. From what I'm told, if you're not a hardcore fan of the game series and can overlook the rewriting of the canon, it's actually very good. I only ever played the first two games anyway and that was a long time ago, so I expect it won't matter to me.

On 27/06/2022 at 22:40, Sheaf Saint said:

Paramount+ has now launched in the UK, so I signed up and watched the first 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds.

Quite encouraged by what I've seen so far. The good thing is that we've already had the groundwork of the character introductions laid for Pike, Spock and No1 in S2 of Discovery. The return of the episodic format to the Star Trek franchise is most welcome, and I already feel like I am more familiar with the other bridge officers than I am with any of the 'supporting cast' of Discovery.

As there are only 3 episodes of SNW currently available, I'm gonna give the Halo series a go. From what I'm told, if you're not a hardcore fan of the game series and can overlook the rewriting of the canon, it's actually very good. I only ever played the first two games anyway and that was a long time ago, so I expect it won't matter to me.

Being a tight git I am waiting for SNW to get to the end of it's run before taking up a 7 day trial through AMAZON so I can binge watch it. As for HALO, I watched the first episode when it aired on one of the ch5 channels a few days ago; there didn't seem to be much plot development, but there was a lot of shooting.

Edited by badgerx16

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished season 4 of stranger things. Loved it and think it’s probably my favourite season so far which is pretty good going considering most things start well and get stale quickly. Anyone still watching the walking dead? I really can’t be bothered with the final season which is a shame but shows what happens when you repeat the same formula endlessly 

• 4 weeks later...

RIP Nichelle Nichols.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jul/31/nichelle-nichols-lt-uhura-star-trek-dies

A wonderfully kind and gracious lady by all accounts, whose performance as lt. Uhura was pivotal in breaking down cultural barriers in the 60s.

I understand she was going to quit the show after the first season, but MLK convinced her not to because of how much of a role model she was to the black community in the US. Whoopi Goldberg, when she talked about joining ST TNG, said seeing Nichelle in a major TV role when she was young gave her belief that she too could take up acting.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Been watching The Peripheral on Prime. First 5 episodes available now.

Starring the utterly gorgeous Chloe Grace Moretz, it's a very slick and stylish near future (and more distant future) thriller that's not especially easy to follow but very enjoyable. Highly recommended 👌 

Currently watching Andor, the prequel series to Rogue One. A Star Wars story in which, having got to episode 6, there has been no mention of The Force or Jedi.

Edit: end of episode 7 has the scenes filmed on Cleveleys sea front - I used to cycle to and from work along a Star Wars set.

Edited by badgerx16

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2022 at 13:17, badgerx16 said:

Currently watching Andor, the prequel series to Rogue One. A Star Wars story in which, having got to episode 6, there has been no mention of The Force or Jedi.

Edit: end of episode 7 has the scenes filmed on Cleveleys sea front - I used to cycle to and from work along a Star Wars set.

I've just finished watching it all and I have to say it's the best series they have made so far. Star Wars for grown-ups, at last.

I guess the absence of any Jedi references is because of where it sits in the timeline. And that is where it excelled I think, because instead of an overly dramatic, moustache-twirling kind of evil, the Empire is depicted in a much more mundane and banal sort of way than ever before. No previous Star Wars story has ever really explored the human aspect or the day-to-day bureaucracy of the Empire, and it was all the better for it IMO. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 14:57, Sheaf Saint said:

Been watching The Peripheral on Prime. First 5 episodes available now.

Starring the utterly gorgeous Chloe Grace Moretz, it's a very slick and stylish near future (and more distant future) thriller that's not especially easy to follow but very enjoyable. Highly recommended 👌 

I abandoned it after 3 episodes, had absolutely no idea what was going on.

• 1 month later...

The Last of Us is every bit as good as everyone says it is. It's more character driven than action, and Pedro Pascal is just so watchable. Really enjoying it so far.

Also, S3 of Picard launched on Friday, and there is a clear departure from the previous seasons in episode 1. I love how they have successfully recreated the epic cinematic feel from the early movies in certain aspects of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2023 at 21:46, Sheaf Saint said:

The Last of Us is every bit as good as everyone says it is. It's more character driven than action, and Pedro Pascal is just so watchable. Really enjoying it so far.

Also, S3 of Picard launched on Friday, and there is a clear departure from the previous seasons in episode 1. I love how they have successfully recreated the epic cinematic feel from the early movies in certain aspects of it.

Watched the first 3 episodes of S3, and it is brilliant IMO. 'Legends' of the franchise in it (mostly TNG crew), good casting with the others (Amanda Plummer & more so, Michelle Hurd, are excellent).

Hopefully this level of storyline remains throughout

• Like 1

On 20/02/2023 at 21:46, Sheaf Saint said:

I've not played the games but it's one of the best things I've seen in ages! The acting is phenomenal! Much better than The Walking Dead in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Episode 6 of Picard is just great - more nods to the legendary characters

So far, this season is absolutely brilliant

And starships. Love the idea of stealing the cloaking device from the Warbird from The Voyage Home.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/04/2023 at 18:16, AlexLaw76 said:

Episode 9 of Picard is brilliant.  The last 7 mins or so will make any Star Trek TNG fans smile a little bit...

It is good, but so many loose ends to tie up, particularly within the series' own continuity. Just wonder if they've backed themselves into a horrible corner.

On 21/04/2023 at 08:38, AlexLaw76 said:

End of episode 10.  Was decent (not amazing) and left open for a potential new series/spin-off.

All in, Picard Season 3 have been a brilliant series to end a legendary story/cast/crew

I get a sinking feeling every time Q appears, my least favourite character in TNG.

Edited by badgerx16

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2023 at 12:45, Sheaf Saint said:

Started watching Silo on Apple TV+

Looks decent so far. Good concept and a strong cast. New episodes out every Friday.

There's a series of books on which the TV series is based.

Well worth a read.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished watching Silo. Rally enjoyed its moody and claustrophobic aesthetic. A few questionable plot holes but hopefully they will be addressed in S2.

While I'm enjoying my free trial of Apple TV, I decided to give Foundation a go, with S2 having just launched. Based on books by Isaac Asimov, it's very ambitious in its scale, spanning both space and time. Really enjoying it.

I was watching the first series of The Ark. 

No problems with the first set up episode. Another episode and a bit in, and I would have been happy if The Ark was hit by an asteroid, taking out at least the most annoying of the characters.

Not Wesley Crusher levels of annoyance, in the same post code.

11 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

While I'm enjoying my free trial of Apple TV, I decided to give Foundation a go, with S2 having just launched. Based on books by Isaac Asimov, it's very ambitious in its scale, spanning both space and time. Really enjoying it.

It took me a while to get round the fact it is 'based on' rather than an adaptation of the Asimov trilogies. ( A bit like watching The Two Towers and resisting the urge to shout out "The Elves were never at Helm's Deep". )

On 19/07/2023 at 20:54, Sheaf Saint said:

Finished watching Silo. Rally enjoyed its moody and claustrophobic aesthetic. A few questionable plot holes but hopefully they will be addressed in S2.

The books are excellent.

The Silo series is half of the first book (of the trilogy)

As usual they have made changes to the story but have stuck to a lot of it.

I'm on the third book - I recommend them to Sci Fi readers.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started watching Fallout on Prime last night. Looks really good so far - love the stylisation.

I also recently finished 3 Body Problem on Netflix, and it was decent but perhaps a little disappointing considering the hype and the budget. Visually, it's great in parts. But some of the characters are really annoying, and there are so many massive plot holes that simply don't make sense. Still a solid 7/10 from me though.