Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

Another great film is John Carpenter's "The Thing"

This is another great Sci Fi film. High in shocks and has eye-popping physical effects, which maintain the power to disgust even today. What really makes the film stands out from being just another gore fest is that it concentrates on an "imposter" theme, in a vein similar to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. You really feel the unsettling feeling that you just can't trust anyone.

I seen some Star Treks and what annoys me the most is how they are always going "ah this reminds me exactly of an old 20th century earth story called The Only Way Is Essex, when the gay one was trying to buy a car"

Why ain't they got cultural references from any other eras or planets or anything? Why is they not going "Yes does this not remind you of when Ghfskhs fought Sdsd746 on planet 89juk in the late 25th century or whatever"?

In all honesty I found John Carpenter's 'The Thing' to be offensively gross and utterly charmless compared to Howard Hawk's atmospheric 1951 original, but he also made the enduringly wonderful 'Dark Star' and his 'Halloween' is 30 years after its release still one of the most effective fright machines I've ever seen. Such a shame that its memory has been sullied somewhat by quite so many inferior 'slasher' imitations.

As for my headlong dive into classic Who, I've just started on Jon Pertwee's 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' - now if you thought that the computer generated special effects in Jurassic Park were good then rest assured you ain't seen nothing yet .....

In all honesty I found John Carpenter's 'The Thing' to be offensively gross and utterly charmless compared to Howard Hawk's atmospheric 1951 original, but he also made the enduringly wonderful 'Dark Star' and his 'Halloween' is 30 years after its release still one of the most effective fright machines I've ever seen. Such a shame that its memory has been sullied somewhat by quite so many inferior 'slasher' imitations.

As for my headlong dive into classic Who, I've just started on Jon Pertwee's 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' - now if you thought that the computer generated special effects in Jurassic Park were good then rest assured you ain't seen nothing yet .....

I've yet to see the original film "The Thing from another World" but I would like to see it. I've just found it in parts on you tube so I will watch it this evening.

John carpenter's "The Thing" although admittedly gross does a very good job of ramping up the tension. I like yourself was shocked by the truly disgusting effects the first time I watched it. It was only years later when I watched it again I found the idea of who is real and who is no longer what they seem compelling. What adds to the the fear for me is you could have be taken over by the organism without even realising. So in the John Carpenter version to think you could end up part of that disgusting mess was a real fear.

Jon Pertwee's 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' is Classic Who at its best. Its a shame the dinosaurs effects are so bad but I guess thats is part of its charm. Some of the old Classic Doctor Who stories that have been released on DVD have the options to watch with slightly updated effects (Still done on the cheap) but they haven't done that for this one have they? I suppose it would of been too much work for them on the budget the restoration team have to work with.

I seen some Star Treks and what annoys me the most is how they are always going "ah this reminds me exactly of an old 20th century earth story called The Only Way Is Essex, when the gay one was trying to buy a car"

Why ain't they got cultural references from any other eras or planets or anything? Why is they not going "Yes does this not remind you of when Ghfskhs fought Sdsd746 on planet 89juk in the late 25th century or whatever"?

Well, there are a couple of reasons for contemporary references.

If they are just talking about the 20th Century, then it's normally to have a go at an aspect of contemporary life ( sky lords, war over money, ra ra ).

If they go to modern times in some time travel caper, it's usually for budgetary reasons.

Even so, they do a load of "made up" references too. Sisko buggered off to the 21st century and led a revolution. The old Khitimer accords. Wars with Romulans. It's not like there's a 300 year gap where nothing happened :D

Confession time.... I quite liked the first starship troopers film.

Starship Troopers was a good film. It had a bit of a Robocop vibe to it. Probably because the director Verhoeven, producer Davison, writer Neumeier, creature effects designers Phil Tippett and Craig Hayes, and composer Basil Poledouris were all involved with the original RoboCop film.

Director Verhoeven says his satirical use of irony and hyperbole is "playing with fascism or fascist imagery to point out certain aspects of American society... of course, the movie is about 'Let's all go to war and let's all die.'"

The sequels were poor though.

Jon Pertwee's 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' is Classic Who at its best. Its a shame the dinosaurs effects are so bad but I guess thats is part of its charm. Some of the old Classic Doctor Who stories that have been released on DVD have the options to watch with slightly updated effects (Still done on the cheap) but they haven't done that for this one have they? I suppose it would of been too much work for them on the budget the restoration team have to work with.

I'm pleased to say that this DVD comes complete with its period CSO (Colour Separation Overlay) "special" effects still present in all their unadulterated 70's glory - and what a sight they are! The DVD extras inform us that the special effects company the BBC employed on this serial went out of business shortly thereafter - and if the quality of their work on 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' is any guide you can easily see why.

Once you get past the comical dinosaurs however there is the kernel of a pretty good science fiction yarn here. A group of what we might now call extreme eco fanatics have decided that in order to save the Earth from the ruinous effects of mankind they will quite literally erase Humanity from existence (with the exception a small elite group of course) and return the planet to its pre industrialised state, free from both human overpopulation and all the pollution that entails - a Garden of Eden almost.

In order to complete their radical plan they must first clear London of its population so they can gain control of a secret government nuclear power station buried underneath a tube station - hence the use of the 'time scoop' to extract dinosaurs from prehistory and deposit them in 1970's London. All good fun but viewing this as a adult now I can see the fascistic overtones of this sinister scheme that quite escaped me as a child, and the fact that the normally reliable Captain Yates of UNIT joins in with the conspiracy (and actual betrays the Doctor at one point) lends the story a unexpected level of sophistication and moral ambiguity.

The writer of this story - Malcolm Hulke - seems to have been a man well ahead of his time.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Never let it be said that I don't listen to people on here.

Started back on Farscape. Think I was two episodes into the first season ( I'd seen bits on TV in the past, but never regularly ). First episode I picked up on was actually very good. It's the one where they pick up the scientists who are secretly carrying a black hole in their shuttle.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood before, but really digging it. The ever-so-faint Aussie accents really suit the scenario, and the puppet skills means that the show can do aliens that aren't just "human being with ridges in weird places". The make-up looks awesome too. And all this with the "good stuff" still to come :)

Never let it be said that I don't listen to people on here.

Started back on Farscape. Think I was two episodes into the first season ( I'd seen bits on TV in the past, but never regularly ). First episode I picked up on was actually very good. It's the one where they pick up the scientists who are secretly carrying a black hole in their shuttle.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood before, but really digging it. The ever-so-faint Aussie accents really suit the scenario, and the puppet skills means that the show can do aliens that aren't just "human being with ridges in weird places". The make-up looks awesome too. And all this with the "good stuff" still to come :)

I was another who just dropped in and out of Farscape. I did watch a lot of it but never saw how it ended. I know a few years ago it got a mini series called" The Peacekeeper Wars" to finish off the stories of all the main characters properly. There were some great ideas in it. I particularly liked the on going story that involved Scorpius implanting a neural chip into John's head. I loved all he arguments he had with himself and the fact he was always on the verge of losing it and just going crazy.

I was another who just dropped in and out of Farscape. I did watch a lot of it but never saw how it ended. I know a few years ago it got a mini series called" The Peacekeeper Wars" to finish off the stories of all the main characters properly. There were some great ideas in it. I particularly liked the on going story that involved Scorpius implanting a neural chip into John's head. I loved all he arguments he had with himself and the fact he was always on the verge of losing it and just going crazy.

Then surely you have seen how it ended. #pedant

Was a great series, truly imaginative and Ben Browder/Claudia Black's on screen chemistry was something to behold.

Which brings us on to Stargate..... ;)

Was a great series, truly imaginative and Ben Browder/Claudia Black's on screen chemistry was something to behold.

I didn't see "The Peacekeeper Wars" I just heard it had been made. I also didn't see much of the last series.

Is there no love for those classic 70/80s sci-fi

Buck Rodgers

Buck Rodgers is pure cheese, but I remember watching it on BBC 2 back when they repeated it.

It probably produced one of the most annoying robots in Science Fiction ever :)

Erin Gray was super hot though!

I didn't see "The Peacekeeper Wars" I just heard it had been made. I also didn't see much of the last series.

Sorry, misread.

It's worth the watch, enjoy!

And my point regarding Stargate..... Any fans here?

I did like SG-1, had some superb ideas. It lasted a decade too, somehow.

Sorry, misread.

It's worth the watch, enjoy!

And my point regarding Stargate..... Any fans here?

I did like SG-1, had some superb ideas. It lasted a decade too, somehow.

I have watched a lot of Stargate too. Again I haven't seen any of the series all the way through due to not having Sky. I watched a lot of SG1 and Atlantis but haven't yet caught much of Universe. I noticed pick tv started to show it, so I have been watching some on there.

I have watched a lot of Stargate too. Again I haven't seen any of the series all the way through due to not having Sky. I watched a lot of SG1 and Atlantis but haven't yet caught much of Universe. I noticed pick tv started to show it, so I have been watching some on there.

Never got into Universe, wanted to love it but it was so.... dull. Humourless.

Never got into Universe, wanted to love it but it was so.... dull. Humourless.

It does seem they went for the, so gritty as this sh1t is real feel and its sucked a lot of the humour out of it.

Robert Carlyle's character seems to be really intense all the time. I mean I know their situation is dire but I sure he could chill out a little from time to time :). Admittedly I don't really know his back story and I have only seen a few of episodes. I see they are under pressure to get get the ship up and running but all the other characters seem to be able relax from time to time.

The quest for the "good" Science Fiction film free from cold war paranoia and bug-eyed monsters was the subject of a long discussion between Arthur C Clark and Stanley Kubrick back in the late 1960's. The fruit of their labour turned out (eventually) to be '2001: A Space Odyssey' of course - which lets face it probably is the best Sci-Fi movie ever made.

Chapel End Charlie's five point guide to the essential ingredients of a really good Sci-Fi tale:

1 - Space is really big and it will probably take a very long time to get places.

2 - It is unlikely that Alien species will think like us or share our basic body shape & size.

3 - It is even more unlikely that they will also speak English!

4 - The effects of Zero Gravity on space travel should not just be explained away by a 'anti-gravity device'.

5 - Ignoring the profound consequences of Relativity theory on deep space travel is not acceptable.

The practical constrains of good story telling tend to make the really good sci-fi tale a rarity of course. Indeed my beloved Doctor Who & Star Trek formats frequently break all five rules. But bad sci-fi or not, I still love them anyway.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

The quest for the "good" Science Fiction film free from cold war paranoia and bug-eyed monsters was the subject of a long discussion between Arthur C Clark and Stanley Kubrick back in the late 1960's. The fruit of their labour turned out (eventually) to be '2001: A Space Odyssey' of course - which lets face it probably is the best Sci-Fi movie ever made.

Chapel End Charlie's five point guide to the essential ingredients of a really good Sci-Fi tale:

1 - Space is really big and it will probably take a very long time to get places.

2 - It is unlikely that Alien species will think like us or share our basic body shape & size.

3 - It is even more unlikely that they will also speak English!

4 - The effects of Zero Gravity on space travel should not just be explained away by a 'anti-gravity device'.

5 - Ignoring the profound consequences of Relativity theory on deep space travel is not acceptable.

The practical constrains of good story telling tend to make the really good sci-fi tale a rarity of course. Indeed my beloved Doctor Who & Star Trek formats frequently break all five rules. But bad sci-fi or not, I still love them anyway.

A good list.

I agree those constrains make it difficult to produce good Sci Fi. Films using good science fact to base their stories on aren't always good. Red Planet starring Val kilmer attempted this. Its got some great ideas but doesn't always make for an entertaining film. Its a nice pedestrian paced film and gives us a good view of what it might be like to go on a misson to land on Mars, but it won't hook many people in to watching it. On the whole I enjoyed it but I know a lot of people who did not. Most saying it was too slow moving. Enjoyable Sci Fi stories often break those rules you have mentioned because the film makers know it presents restrictions to their story telling and in the end that can loose the audience.

Also point 3 (It is even more unlikely that they will also speak English!) can be explained in both Star Trek and Doctor Who by translation devices. As you probably know. Star Trek explain this with universal translators and Doctor Who has recently explained the Tardis has a translation matrix. So any time you here people speaking english they might not actually be speaking english but for the purpose of the story we hear it that way.

Time Tunnel is one of the worst offenders of Charlie's "It is even more unlikely that they will also speak English!" rule.

Ah, hallo. Ancient Rome, eh?

Everyone's speaking English!

Time Tunnel is one of the worst offenders of Charlie's "It is even more unlikely that they will also speak English!" rule.

I liked the way Dr Who played with that in the Pompeii episode.

It was errr... the Time Tunnels telepathic translation matrix :D

Big Trekkie, me. Love TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY (got them all on DVD for my retirement). Some really brilliant stories within that lot, the best is an episode of TNG called "Inner Light" which makes me cry bucketloads everytime I see it. Also the episode about Data's daughter. Couldnt get into Enterprise, mainly because I found Jolene Blalock's Vulcan interpretation really annoying, a real caracature of the Vulcan personality. From the films, I actially love First Contact as a stand-alone film, dont care the impact on the Borg canon. Its by far the best ST film; by far. The lead up to the Enterprise-E joining the battle and then the deflector dish battle are just superb. After that I put the films in order IV, II, VI, reboot, III, VII, I, IX, V, X

Also massive Stargate fan. Richard Dean Anderson is brilliant in the first 6/7 SG-1 series, his caustic wit makes the series. Also love Rodney McKay in Atlantis, such a compley personality that on one levelis bloody annoying but bloody brilliant and his colleagues love him (but wont admit it). Couldnt get into SGU however, just too much of a deviation from canon for me. Also got all the DVDs for my retirement.

Still love Star Wars out of loyalty, but scared to take the plunge into Blu-Ray territory to see what bastardisations Lucas has done now.

Lots of great one-off films out there - Colossus: Forbin Project, Capricorn One, Silent Running, Event Horizon.

Still a lot out there I am not up om, such as Battlestar Galactica re-boot.

Missed opportunity due to cancellation : Space Above and Beyond.

Absolute Crap I Could Never Get Into : Dr. Who. Really dont get the fuss.

Surprised it took over 100 posts; Stargate is my absolute favourite; I like the sci-fi link to archaeology and the history of humans on Earth through religious belief.

Just one point...

Why have we not discussed THE greatest Sci-Fi "amalgamation" of all time on this thread?

You know, the one that was built entirely on the purchase of an item of Domestic Use from Marks & Spencers in Salisbury?

That finally explained Cricket to the "non-ex Empire" world.

Dealt with The Creation

And posed a question that the world still debates some 30 plus years later even after Cern (allegedly) stumbled across Higgs Bosun?

You all know the answer.

Liked the first few seasons of xfiles a lot. Was innovative at the time. Plus Gillian Anderson helped

Yep. In fact when I started watching Fringe I felt that it was a poor attempt at re-doing X-Files (with to be honest a damned fine rival to Gillian Anderson in the lead role - Anna Torv)

I almost gave up but then it picked up and now I really enjoy it. (Especially as we now have two Olivia Dunham's.......)

Yep. In fact when I started watching Fringe I felt that it was a poor attempt at re-doing X-Files (with to be honest a damned fine rival to Gillian Anderson in the lead role - Anna Torv)

I almost gave up but then it picked up and now I really enjoy it. (Especially as we now have two Olivia Dunham's.......)

Walter Bishop is probably one of my all time favourite TV Sci fi characters. For me he is what makes the show quite brilliant!

Just one point...

Why have we not discussed THE greatest Sci-Fi "amalgamation" of all time on this thread?

You know, the one that was built entirely on the purchase of an item of Domestic Use from Marks & Spencers in Salisbury?

Dealt with The Creation

And posed a question that the world still debates some 30 plus years later even after Cern (allegedly) stumbled across Higgs Bosun?

You all know the answer.

Sorry its just taken so long to get to this. Its just I've been in Deep Thought, trying to come up with the ultimate question ;)

I love Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, it has such a wicked sense of humour. Its great in all its forms. I especially love the BBC tv adaptation, which I still watch from time to time on DVD.

Edited by Saint J 77

Absolutely worth it. The show-runner was Star Trek TNG and DS9's Ronald D Moore, and it shows. You would not regret it, well...... unless you actually want to do anything with your spare time over the next 2 months or so....

Big Trekkie, me. Love TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY (got them all on DVD for my retirement). Some really brilliant stories within that lot, the best is an episode of TNG called "Inner Light" which makes me cry bucketloads everytime I see it. Also the episode about Data's daughter. Couldnt get into Enterprise, mainly because I found Jolene Blalock's Vulcan interpretation really annoying, a real caracature of the Vulcan personality. From the films, I actially love First Contact as a stand-alone film, dont care the impact on the Borg canon. Its by far the best ST film; by far. The lead up to the Enterprise-E joining the battle and then the deflector dish battle are just superb. After that I put the films in order IV, II, VI, reboot, III, VII, I, IX, V, X

Also massive Stargate fan. Richard Dean Anderson is brilliant in the first 6/7 SG-1 series, his caustic wit makes the series. Also love Rodney McKay in Atlantis, such a compley personality that on one levelis bloody annoying but bloody brilliant and his colleagues love him (but wont admit it). Couldnt get into SGU however, just too much of a deviation from canon for me. Also got all the DVDs for my retirement.

Still love Star Wars out of loyalty, but scared to take the plunge into Blu-Ray territory to see what bastardisations Lucas has done now.

Lots of great one-off films out there - Colossus: Forbin Project, Capricorn One, Silent Running, Event Horizon.

Missed opportunity due to cancellation : Space Above and Beyond.

Absolute Crap I Could Never Get Into : Dr. Who. Really dont get the fuss.

Give Enterprise a chance. I never watched it on tv all the way through because channel 4 screened it and those damm advert just got in the way. I went back and watched series 1 to 4 in order on DVD. It definitely got better and better. If you loved they other series you will appreciate how some of the later series episodes made a good attempt to tie in with all the other series of Star Trek that you loved.

I never really got in to the Battlestar Galactica re-boot either and was thinking I should revisit it on DVD to give it a second chance.

Walter Bishop is probably one of my all time favourite TV Sci fi characters. For me he is what makes the show quite brilliant!

Totally agree, although it took a while to "come to terms" with him. But really don't like The Other One.

Some of the episodes play wonderfully to his lunatic brilliance(LSD for one) but also the way his character depth is built up and the pain and remorse for what his selfish actions had caused are superb.

Was still a huge shock to "finally meet" William Bell as well when Olivia got hijacked. Hopefully the series still has legs and maybe we could end up seeing a third Dunham.

(The horny other Dunham is deffo one of my favourite "characters" - in a 7 of 9 sort of way ;))

Sorry its just taken so long to get to this. Its just I've been in Deep Thought, trying to come up with the ultimate question ;)

I love Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, it has such a wicked sense of humour. Its great in all its forms. I especially love the BBC tv adaptation, which I still watch from time to time on DVD.

Even now, all these years on I remember how we used to rush back from College to tune in "The Wireless" to listen to the weekly Radio Shows.

Still so many of his lines and concepts that are just wonderful, even in the later books. Elvis, The Rain God Truck Driver, The Bowl of Petunias & The Whale, and Infinite Improbability Drive...

The Hollywood movie fell between two stools, it had spectacular moments - Slartibartfarst, the Original Marvin in the queue at the Vogon Office, but also had moments that didn't quite work.

Slartibartfast: You must come with me.

Arthur Dent: Who are you?

Slartibartfast: What? No. My name's not important. You must come with me, or you'll be late.

Arthur Dent: Late for what?

Slartibartfast: Well, um, what's your name Earthman?

Arthur Dent: Dent. Arthur Dent.

Slartibartfast: Well, late as in *the late* Dentarthurdent. It's a sort of threat. You see?

Arthur Dent: No.

Summer Glau.

My, she's all grown up now.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=Summer+Glau&src=wow

Jewel Staite. Hmm she scrubs up well & is currently available after getting divorced

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=jewel+staite

Thunder & Sand storms here today so Satellite was playing up

Thanks to this thread & The Avengers movie last week I decided to dig out an old boxed set I bought for 5.99 in a remainder bin in HMV about a century ago.

Damn that was a good series. What idiot cancelled it? Now you've made the big bucks JW, how about tying up the loose ends?

Fantasy answers on a postcard please

Just one point...

Dealt with The Creation

You all know the answer.

Replace the asterisks with u, interesting thread.

http://www.c*ntscorner.com/c*nt_view.php?c*nt_id=12109

To get this thread going again, time for a top 10 list for us to take apart.

Top ten Star Trek Villains

10: Q (Although not really a Villain, so he'll remain low...)

9: Commander Eddington

8: Lore

7: Duras

6: Seska

5: The Borg Queen

4: Commander Sela

3: Gul Dukat

2: Khan Noonien Singh

1: Weyoun

3/10 - That's how many of them i am familiar with!

You can tell what sort of geek you is dealing with from how many of them names they is knowing. I think 3 out of 10 tells you I'm not particularly a geek but probably watch a little too much tv's. For the record I'm knowing Qs and Borg Queens and Khans.

If you is knowing all 10 and is also able to rank them in order then you is a supergeek like colins! I'm looking at you, pap!

(11 Salt Monster)

10 Gul Madred

9 Luther Sloan (not strictly a bad guy but included because I really enjoyed the Section 31 episodes)

8 General Chang

7 Lon Suder (although he did redeem himself..)

6 Weyoun

5 the aliens from TNG's Conspiracy

4 Kruge

3 the Romulan commander played by Mark Lenard in Balance of Terror, not sure his name was ever revealed)

2 the collective mind of the Borg (i.e. before the Queen was introduced)

1 Khan

Having made that list, would just like to point out what I really find great about Star Trek is that it's rarely about good vs. evil and "black and white" decision-making; it more often concerns cultural clashes, exploring how others do things differently and how that impacts upon the main characters and humanity. I'm sure all you guys know that though!!