Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

Dark Skies was excellent, its a shame it only got a short run. The stuff with the main characters wife getting taken over and then being so heartless towards him was brilliantly heart breaking.

Enjoyed Dark Skies, could do with a 2nd series. Also liked The Event shown last year, again a 2nd series should be done.

Watched Alcatraz recently, not outstanding but it was OK. Unfortunately it got the chop before the end of the series so you were left hanging.

Edited by ecuk268

Cancellations of decent sci-fi shows are always a shame. Does actually put me off getting into stuff in S1 these days.

I think reality TV has a lot to answer for. Getting a cameraman to follow a bunch of real-life morons is a lot cheaper than sticking a new Space Opera show on the telly (and blimey, do we need one).

my love of Sci Fi seems to mirror everyone else on here with Star Trek,Battle Star Gallactica,V & Dr Who all being favourite tv shows in the past. don't seem to have enough time nowadays to get into any of the newer offerings :( last Sci-Fi i watched was the Dune mini series a couple of months ago, which i liked even though it didn't have the same visual impact of the movie. made me revisit the books which i haven't read for a few years, which is helping fill the void till the new season :)

as i've mentioned books, are any of you fans of Robert H Heinlein ? i've read all his work since my dad gave me Space Family Stone as a nipper. i got a lucky break soon after when i purchased nearly all his books for £5 at car booty and have been re-reading them regularly ever since .

Best star trek episode ever? DS9 by the pale moonlight - 'its a fake ' awesome ep

It is definitely one I return to again and again. Outstanding performance by Avery Brooks in that one.

The one that is most influential for me was "Best of Both Worlds". That episode, more than anything else, is what really flipped my geek switch. Think I was 15/16 at the time.

This is my sort of thread!

Been a Trekky for years, taking in all of it bar the original series (seen the movies though). Can't get into the OS purely for visual reasons, it's so dated I just can't get involved in it.

I got into Star Trek through watching reruns of the Original Series with my family during the 80'es, even then I noticed how bad the visual effects were. But the stories have always been very memorable. I then went on to really enjoy all the modern series and somewhat forgot the Original Series for some years. It was only probably back in 2006 when I was given a box set of the original series as a christmas present, that I sat down and watched them again. Their are some great stories written by some big names of Sci Fi. If you can't stomach the effects you can now own the remastered versions. The went back in and restored and cleaned up the original film and then re made all the effects. Because it was made on film it had HD release then later on Blu Ray.

Here is a of video to show what they did.

[video=youtube;I-X5c7c3yzE]

It is advertising the shows on HD but the same thing is now available on Blu Ray

If you like the rest of Star Trek its worth giving the The Original Series ago as there are a lot of references to stories through the continuity of all the series. For example in Enterprise the episode "In the Mirror Darkly" You see what happened to the Defiant from the episode "The Tholian Web" from the original series. It is also a prequel to the whole Mirror universe that was first introduced in the Original Series episode "Mirror Mirror". The Mirror universe went on to became very popular during DS9 and featured in many episodes. Talking of DS9 the episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" was a fantastic time travel episode that sent the Ds9 crew back into Kirks original series time. The Footage for that episode is cleverly merged with The orignal Series episode "The Trouble with the tribbles" and is great fun to watch. So much that you probably love in Star Trek can be found in that Original series you would be mad not to at least give it a try.

Edited by Saint J 77

Best star trek episode ever? DS9 by the pale moonlight - 'its a fake ' awesome ep

Oh yes! Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

The episode 'The Jem Hadar' at the end of series two is also outstanding... The shock and awe at the end when the Jem Hadar warship commits it's Kamakaze attack, utterly unexpected.

Oh yes! Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

The episode 'The Jem Hadar' at the end of series two is also outstanding... The shock and awe at the end when the Jem Hadar warship commits it's Kamakaze attack, utterly unexpected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs&feature=related

Yeah it was bleak, intelligent, gripping, and intense all at the same time. It was probably one of the best Star Trek at war episodes done.

Edited by Saint J 77

While DS9 is still on the agenda. My favourite Star Trek character has to be Weyoun (all of them). He felt the most 'alien' of all characters but remained surprisingly complex, utterly commited to his own cause and yet capable of some sincerely good comedic moments to complement the serious/villanous parts.

Still laugh thinking about the scene when he is looking at a painting, it went something along these lines....

Weyoun, "So, this is a painting, by Gul Dukat's daughter........?"

A.N.Other, "Yes....."

Weyoun, "Is it any.................. good?"

Gul Dukat was another superb character, a great villain.

While DS9 is still on the agenda. My favourite Star Trek character has to be Weyoun (all of them). He felt the most 'alien' of all characters but remained surprisingly complex, utterly commited to his own cause and yet capable of some sincerely good comedic moments to complement the serious/villanous parts.

Still laugh thinking about the scene when he is looking at a painting, it went something along these lines....

Weyoun, "So, this is a painting, by Gul Dukat's daughter........?"

A.N.Other, "Yes....."

Weyoun, "Is it any.................. good?"

Gul Dukat was another superb character, a great villain.

Both great characters and performances.

Weyoun is of course, sci-fi legend Jeffrey Coombes. He also played Brunt on DS9 and one of the Andorians on Enterprise. Brilliant in the Frighteners. Not exactly sci-fi, but I reckon everyone on this thread would like that film too.

Genuinely chuffed to have had a decent ds9 conversation today. Will dig out the DVDs and watch them again. Really think it was the most complete and satisfying of all the treks. Maybe as it was static and didn't 'trek', so many great episodes. Darker and more intense than the others.

Mind you 7 of 9 hit the spot.

Both great characters and performances.

Weyoun is of course, sci-fi legend Jeffrey Coombes. He also played Brunt on DS9 and one of the Andorians on Enterprise. Brilliant in the Frighteners. Not exactly sci-fi, but I reckon everyone on this thread would like that film too.

He is another favourite of mine both the actor and the character. I loved the episode "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" its the one where the Weyoun 6 clone defects. Weyoun 6 reveals to Odo that an illness threatens to wipe out the Great Link. The new clone, Weyoun 7 eventually convinces Weyoun 6 to commit suicide in order to protect Odo. Before dying, Weyoun VI asks Odo for his blessing.

Another amazing Sci Fi film I would highly recommend to watch is the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 version. When I first saw this I couldn't sleep. I did watch it on my own late at night and I was only 10 at the time but still its a film that has always stayed with me. I feel what made this version of the film work so well is the ending works so well and wasn't what i was expecting. In my opinion it sorts out the weak point of Jack Finney's novel on which it is based.

Once went to a Dr Who convention at Longleat. Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker & The Brigadier were there.

Terror of the Zygon's from the Tom Baker era was partially shot in the village I grew up in. Some of it was shot in a barn my dad was in charge of so got to go in and see things like the stunt zygon falling from a pile of bales (onto cardboard boxes not spikes as per the episode). The one thing from my childhood I am annoyed at having lost over time is the my Zygon sucker print 'autograph'!

Of all Gene Roddenberry's many children I've always considered DS9 to be the runt of the litter frankly, not worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Star Trek TOS, Next Gen, or even Voyager. But I must admit I bailed out after the first two seasons so perhaps it matured with age - it sure as hell needed to in this space cadet's view.

As for what 'Sci-Fi' (by which we often actually mean 'Fantasy') I've been watching lately, I've reverted to my childhood and started to collect 'Classic' Doctor Who DVD's - mostly from the 1960's & 70's. This week I've been much enjoying a 1968 Patrick Troughton story called 'The Mind Robber' which illustrated the strengths and weaknesses of early Who perfectly. It's a brilliantly conceived and skillfully written tale concerning the Doctors attempts to escape from Non Space - a void outside the realm of normal reality where a alien machine intelligence employs the imagination of a captured human author to create a world populated entirely by fictional characters.

A ripping yarn full of period charm I thought, but a younger audience more used to modern standards would probably find the relatively crude production values and the general cheap and rushed nature of the production unacceptable. Nevertheless, for my money I consider the fact that so many William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton serials are now irredeemably lost due to the short-sightedness of the BBC to be something of a minor tragedy.

Another amazing Sci Fi film I would highly recommend to watch is the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 version. When I first saw this I couldn't sleep. I did watch it on my own late at night and I was only 10 at the time but still its a film that has always stayed with me. I feel what made this version of the film work so well is the ending works so well and wasn't what i was expecting. In my opinion it sorts out the weak point of Jack Finney's novel on which it is based.

With Donald Sutherland? Yes I really like this. As mentioned above, District 9 was great and Moon. I enjoyed Prometheus too.

Love the Aliens films and Star Wars. Only a minor trekkie.

Also really like the classic that is 2001.

Edit: does Cloverfield count? that's qualiteee.

Edited by Jonnyboy

Of all Gene Roddenberry's many children I've always considered DS9 to be the runt of the litter frankly, not worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Star Trek TOS, Next Gen, or even Voyager. But I must admit I bailed out after the first two seasons so perhaps it matured with age - it sure as hell needed to in this space cadet's view.

Then you've got a treat in store, Charlie. First two seasons are a lot of build up. The finale of that series two is really the starting point for the main arc of the series. I'd give it another go, sir. Much like TNG, Season 3 is where it really gets going.

That's like having a season ticket for 2007/08 and 2008/09 and then not bothering for 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12 (and hopefully beyond)!

As for what 'Sci-Fi' (by which we often actually mean 'Fantasy') I've been watching lately, I've reverted to my childhood and started to collect 'Classic' Doctor Who DVD's - mostly from the 1960's & 70's. This week I've been much enjoying a 1968 Patrick Troughton story called 'The Mind Robber' which illustrated the strengths and weaknesses of early Who perfectly. It's a brilliantly conceived and skillfully written tale concerning the Doctors attempts to escape from Non Space - a void outside the realm of normal reality where a alien machine intelligence employs the imagination of a captured human author to create a world populated entirely by fictional characters.

A ripping yarn full of period charm I thought, but a younger audience more used to modern standards would probably find the relatively crude production values and the general cheap and rushed nature of the production unacceptable. Nevertheless, for my money I consider the fact that so many William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton serials are now irredeemably lost due to the short-sightedness of the BBC to be something of a minor tragedy.

I must admit I'm a big fan of all things Doctor Who as well. I too have been a minor collector of classic DVD's. I love Patrick Troughton's Doctor. Its a crying shame the BBC wiped all those stories of the first and second Doctors adventures. Fortunately a lot of the missing episodes audio has been saved by fans who at the time of its airing recording it. on to old fashion tape So the missing stories still exist in audio format. Some missing film turn up in Southampton recently so there is still hope some more copies of the missing episodes could still one day be found. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-12-11/doctor-who-two-long-lost-episodes-uncovered

I have the Mind Robber on DVD. I watched it not long ago. I loved the solution to replace Jamie with a different actor while Frazer Hines was ill.

Completely agree Pap. I also agree with many on here re enterprise. Really hit a nice stride in season 4 then was cut short.

Talking of things cut before their time, we started watching a series on sky called threshold which had promise and the excellent Peter Dinklage in it , few Star trek crossover characters if I remember as well. Heroes was worth a watch at the beginning as well

Then you've got a treat in store, Charlie. First two seasons are a lot of build up. The finale of that series two is really the starting point for the main arc of the series. I'd give it another go, sir. Much like TNG, Season 3 is where it really gets going.

Quite right. The hints and subtle indications of what is to come really help make it. It's a long lot of scene setting but utterly essential.

Completely agree Pap. I also agree with many on here re enterprise. Really hit a nice stride in season 4 then was cut short.

Talking of things cut before their time, we started watching a series on sky called threshold which had promise and the excellent Peter Dinklage in it , few Star trek crossover characters if I remember as well. Heroes was worth a watch at the beginning as well

Heroes started as being unmissable TV for me but I felt the last series was a bit disappointing especially the last episode. Hiro and Ando were the characters that kept me coming back.

I must admit I'm a big fan of all things Doctor Who as well. I too have been a minor collector of classic DVD's. I love Patrick Troughton's Doctor. Its a crying shame the BBC wiped all those stories of the first and second Doctors adventures. Fortunately a lot of the missing episodes audio has been saved by fans who at the time of its airing recording it. on to old fashion tape So the missing stories still exist in audio format. Some missing film turn up in Southampton recently so there is still hope some more copies of the missing episodes could still one day be found. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-12-11/doctor-who-two-long-lost-episodes-uncovered

I have the Mind Robber on DVD. I watched it not long ago. I loved the solution to replace Jamie with a different actor while Frazer Hines was ill.

I (like Doctor Who itself) was born in 1963 so I'm only just old enough to remember any Troughton - I have just a vague memory of Yeti's in the underground so Jon Pertwee is my first real Doctor in truth. I take it my friend you have seen 'The Invasion' where the two missing episodes of this rather good eight part Troughton serial have been recreated using a mixture of new animation and the original soundtrack ? I so wish 2/Entertain would do more of this because the results are worthwhile.

As for the method employed to replace Frazer Hines in 'The Mind Robber' - this is as audacious a piece of TV improvisation you will ever see, I doubt non Who aficonardos on here would even believe us if we tried to explain it. I must say the Robots in Mind Robber were so bad you just have to laught at them, but the 'toy' soldiers on the other hand I found somewhat unsettleing for reasons I can't fully explain.

I (like Doctor Who itself) was born in 1963 so I'm only just old enough to remember any Troughton - I have just a vague memory of Yeti's in the underground so Jon Pertwee is my first real Doctor in truth. I take it my friend you have seen 'The Invasion' where the two missing episodes of this rather good eight part Troughton serial have been recreated using a mixture of new animation and the original soundtrack ? I so wish 2/Entertain would do more of this because the results are worthwhile.

As for the method employed to replace Frazer Hines in 'The Mind Robber' - this is as audacious a piece of TV improvisation you will ever see, I doubt non Who aficonardos on here would even believe us if we tried to explain it. I must say the Robots in Mind Robber were so bad you just have to laught at them, but the 'toy' soldiers on the other hand I found somewhat unsettleing for reasons I can't fully explain.

Regarding the decision to replace the poorly Frazer Hines although it could be construed as "audacious", I felt it tied quite nicely to the bizarre nature of the episode. Their hands were tied as the episodes were recorded very close if not on the actual day of the broadcast, I think. So they had to come up a Solution on the fly.Given the nature of Science Fiction/Fanasty I didn't see it as that far fetched as I think it was intended to be assuming anyway. Yes I have the Invasion on DVD. The animation was a good idea and I hope they do more of it for some of the other missing episodes. They are currently animating The Reign of Terror a William Hartnell Story. http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06/dwn020611204008-reign-of-terror.html

Right dug out my DS9 DVDs and have to watch the pale moonlight ep as I haven't watched that in years. :)

'Computer, delete entire log'

I was thinking of watching that later after the football because of the talk of it on here today too :)

With Donald Sutherland? Yes I really like this. As mentioned above, District 9 was great and Moon. I enjoyed Prometheus too.

Love the Aliens films and Star Wars. Only a minor trekkie.

Also really like the classic that is 2001.

Edit: does Cloverfield count? that's qualiteee.

Yeah Cloverfield counts in my book :) District 9 was also great too. Ive heard they might be doing a sequel.

I (like Doctor Who itself) was born in 1963 so I'm only just old enough to remember any Troughton - I have just a vague memory of Yeti's in the underground.

Watched Who from the 1st episode in Nov 63 aged 5. The Yeti were about 5 years later and caused me some real nightmares as I was a regular tube passenger at the time.

Can I also add my "votes" for Dark Skies and Voyager.

Cancellations of decent sci-fi shows are always a shame. Does actually put me off getting into stuff in S1 these days.

I think reality TV has a lot to answer for. Getting a cameraman to follow a bunch of real-life morons is a lot cheaper than sticking a new Space Opera show on the telly (and blimey, do we need one).

http://www.fallingskies.com/

I see S2 is now showing in the US. Hopefully that means we will get it over here soon.

As I mentioned before, the show started strangely. An alien invasion of earth was covered in about 30 seconds by a kid talking over a drawing. (The writers explained they didn't think they could bring anything new to the Invasion scenes).The first few episodes were really touch and go as to whether it would turn into a dreadful "focus group" "family oriented" disaster like Terra Nova but it gradually improved through the series and had some great episodes towards the end and tantaslising reveals of more Alien types leading to the season finale.

As there is actually sod all else on the telly these days I hope it keeps improving. Initial reviews seem to think it is moving the right way.

There also seems to be a whole raft of sci-fi movies coming out this year. Yeah John Carter was just dreadful, but a proper remake of Total Recall and a noi remake of Dredd due out.

So I'll learn to live with it.

Because I can live with it.

I can live with it.

It is an awesome end monologue, and he never quite takes that drink if I remember correctly. The whole premise of compromising all that the federation stands for in order to save it, is counterpointed perfectly by the whole section 31 sub plot.

Kind of glad we called our 3rd son Benjamin now, only occurred to me yesterday ;)

It is an awesome end monologue, and he never quite takes that drink if I remember correctly. The whole premise of compromising all that the federation stands for in order to save it, is counterpointed perfectly by the whole section 31 sub plot.

Kind of glad we called our 3rd son Benjamin now, only occurred to me yesterday ;)

Juvenile unit #2 is called Kira :)

Back on the subject of Space soaps surely there was milage in building on the entire Time Travel stuff that cropped up in Enterprise & Voyager - How the Time Federation or whatever they were called got formed went wrong etc etc

On the subject of which think FAQ's about Time Travel deserves at least a mention. Sure it could have been better but it wasn't bad.

Oh and agree with the previous post about the 1978 Invasion of the BodySnatchers.

That last shot in that movie also gave me nightmares for months. Films just never used to end that way

Back on the subject of Space soaps surely there was milage in building on the entire Time Travel stuff that cropped up in Enterprise & Voyager - How the Time Federation or whatever they were called got formed went wrong etc etc

Trek is a mess when it comes to time travel. On the one hand, you have the 29th century time-cops, Kirk buggering off to late 1980s to save whales and the Borg taking a trip to 21st century to wipe out humanity - which suggests that the preservation of the timeline is important.

But then on the other, you have Mirror Universes, the episode Parallels (in which Worf travels through multiple dimensions happening at the same point in time) and of course, the recent movie - in which an entirely new timeline is fractured off from Spock's trip to the past.

Trek is a mess when it comes to time travel. On the one hand, you have the 29th century time-cops, Kirk buggering off to late 1980s to save whales and the Borg taking a trip to 21st century to wipe out humanity - which suggests that the preservation of the timeline is important.

But then on the other, you have Mirror Universes, the episode Parallels (in which Worf travels through multiple dimensions happening at the same point in time) and of course, the recent movie - in which an entirely new timeline is fractured off from Spock's trip to the past.

There are lots of layers to the Star Trek universe. Over the years, on the whole they have held, what has now become known as the Prime universe together reasonable well. There are mistakes to cannon here and there but nothing a good fan explanation can't normally explain away. What I didn't like about the new film was its determination to wipe out all that had gone before it. I understand why they did it, so they were not restricted by 40 years of continuity. I didn't think the story they gave us justified deleting all those hours of television and movies. If they wanted to start again they should have just gone a little further forward from the TNG/DS9/VOY timeline with a new crew. Blowing up Vulcan, although liberating to some, felt like a big duck you to the long time fans. I know the writers of the last movie have said that the Prime Universe still exists and that the actions of Nero in the 09 film just created a new timeline but that wasn't really clear from watching the film. The 09 film in itself was watchable. I enjoyed seeing Leonard Nimoy in it and thought Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy was good. I just would of rather they had tried to make in work in the original timeline instead of wiping it entirely. Ok so Archers timeline would not be effected but the rest is gone.

Edited by Saint J 77

On the subject of which think FAQ's about Time Travel deserves at least a mention. Sure it could have been better but it wasn't bad.

Oh and agree with the previous post about the 1978 Invasion of the BodySnatchers.

That last shot in that movie also gave me nightmares for months. Films just never used to end that way

Its exactly that. The ending threw me because before seeing it, in my mind the good guys always won. The ending of that film stayed with me for a long time. Its effect on me has been I don't really buy a nice and neatly wrapped up ending anymore. If you compare it to the god awful remake with Nicole Kidman a few years back their version ending is truly laughable.

Edited by Saint J 77

Do zombie films count? I suppose they are more the horror genre.

I remember a show called Invaders from when I was a kiddie. Might have been rubbish but seemed good at the time.

I'd include zombies in Sci Fi. There are so many good and bad films with zombies in, so lots of them to dicuss if you have a favourite?

I remember The Invaders, I think it was made in the 60'es and BBC re run them back in the 90'es which is when I saw it. There was a tv movie made in the late 90'es starring Scott Backula and it continued the story of the show. I think he even met the guy from the original series in the film.

I'd include zombies in Sci Fi. There are so many good and bad films with zombies in, so lots of them to dicuss if you have a favourite?

I remember The Invaders, I think it was made in the 60'es and BBC re run them back in the 90'es which is when I saw it. There was a tv movie made in the late 90'es starring Scott Backula and it continued the story of the show. I think he even met the guy from the original series in the film.

Might have to check out that film. I liked the idea that the aliens were hidden away amonst us, a bit like V I guess but I never watched that one.

I rate the 28 films, the early Romero (new stuff is dire), evil dead, zombieland and walking dead.

Other films Ive thought of (ie quick look on the hard drive):

Attack the Block, Abyss, Death Note, Hellboy, Inception, Predator, Total Recall, Strange days, Bladerunner, The Descent, Solaris (havent seen the original), The Thing,...

and erm, The Human Centipede?

Ah yes Johnnyboy. I think Attack the Block will stand the test of time and become a cult movie. Sure it could have been better but hey, it's what it is.

Personally while the Marvel type superhero movies are good I don't really class them as Sci Fi, and at the end of the day don't rate Transformers for example as "proper" Sci-Fi

On the subject of good sci-fi/weird stuff, Outer Limits anyone? There were some cracking episodes in amongst some dross. Didn't it get repeated/revamped back in the 80's?

Oh and

http://blakes7.com/

Might have to check out that film. I liked the idea that the aliens were hidden away amonst us, a bit like V I guess but I never watched that one.

I rate the 28 films, the early Romero (new stuff is dire), evil dead, zombieland and walking dead.

Other films Ive thought of (ie quick look on the hard drive):

Attack the Block, Abyss, Death Note, Hellboy, Inception, Predator, Total Recall, Strange days, Bladerunner, The Descent, Solaris (havent seen the original), The Thing,...

and erm, The Human Centipede?

[video=youtube;5PaYiqO-KvY]

Not as good as the Original series but better than the trailer makes it look