Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

Star Trek II-IV are the undiscovered sci-fi trilogy. Love them all; Search for Spock is much maligned, imo. In no way is it a bad odd-numbered Star Trek film.

Yeah I love those 3 films and they were definitely made to be seen as a trilogy. The Search for Spock, has some great Star Trek moments in it.

"How can you be deaf with ears like that!?" :D

I love all the original series films though, even the first one. The director's cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture sorts out a lot of that films flaws.

Edited by Saint J 77

I've mentioned this before but I just love the chemistry between the crew at that point. Actors so comfy with each other.

I am toying with the notion of getting TNG on BluRay. Only problem is, lot of crap in the first couple of seasons. You can only polish a turd so much.

I've mentioned this before but I just love the chemistry between the crew at that point. Actors so comfy with each other.I am toying with the notion of getting TNG on BluRay. Only problem is, lot of crap in the first couple of seasons. You can only polish a turd so much.
start trek TNG in the first season was very cheesyI read somewhere that the studios had to give less and less powers to roddenberry after the first season as it was too much like the original star trek..roddenberry initially did not want another enterprise but had to face the studio NOT funding it if he insisted..as the series progress, roddenberry had less and less influence and TNG got better and better...saying that...thought DS9 was terrible...not a fan of voyeger either...but I would say, TNG (after the uniform change) was really good

start trek TNG in the first season was very cheesyI read somewhere that the studios had to give less and less powers to roddenberry after the first season as it was too much like the original star trek..roddenberry initially did not want another enterprise but had to face the studio NOT funding it if he insisted..as the series progress, roddenberry had less and less influence and TNG got better and better...saying that...thought DS9 was terrible...not a fan of voyeger either...but I would say, TNG (after the uniform change) was really good

DS9 is actually very good if you stick with it, TDD. First two seasons are mainly setup, but it does build into something epic (although not as good as B5).

Voyager was blighted by technobabble but had its moments.

DS9 is actually very good if you stick with it, TDD. First two seasons are mainly setup, but it does build into something epic (although not as good as B5).

Yeah, agree with this. Far too many episodes in the early series seemed like it was just another soap opera that happened to be set on a space station in the future. But as it got going and the ongoing story arc of the war with the Dominion became the predominant aspect, it improved a great deal.

Voyager was blighted by technobabble but had its moments.

Would have been so much better without the self-righteous, whiny and generally irritating Captain Janeway.

Really loved TNG on first viewing, but now I find Picards pomposity irritating. Rick Berman taking over from Roddenberry definitely perked the series up, but ultimately resulted in bad films, except First Contact which almost had me wetting myself during the battle with the Borg at the beginning.

DS9 did get much, much better, once the Dominon War kicked off and Defiant turned up. It was too slow-burning before, though not bad script-writing.

Voyager has never settled well on me. I found the "Chakotay and Neelix wandering round the corridors" stuff tedious. But again, there was some great script-writing in there - the stories with Species 8472 and the episode "Scorpion", for example. Then came Seven of Nine - the scifi geeks perfect w*nking material.

Could not stand Enterprise at all. Too high a profile actor for Captain, kept thinking of Quantum Leap. Also found the Vulcan woman utterly irritating in a way even Tuvok in voyager couldnt manage (though both completely bereft of the humour Nimoy brought to Spock)

Original series was ground-breaking, and the latest DVD release with all the effects shots re-worked adds something to the story pace but diminishes the cheesyness. Of the original 6 films the three-film arc mentioned above was superb, though I dont think Wrath of Khan stands out as much as some claim. Voyage Home was superb, silly and serious at the same time. Still get goosebumps when they fly over Excelsior to see their new post, the Enterprise A. Final Frontier was the worst of the series by a long way until Nemesis came out (which could have been so much better, even as a re-write of Wrath of Khan), Undiscovered Country was a great story with great casting of Christopher Plummer as Chang, but the film was a little degraded by poor script writing.

Not sure what to think about the re-boot films, especially if the plot rumours for the next one are true.

I'm still not convinced it is. Other members of the cast have publicly said it they can't say who it is but it definitely isn't Khan, and it seems to me like the Mail have just picked up some rumours from somewhere and printed it as fact (Not like them at all - I know)

I'm currently plowing my way through the 1968/9 Star Trek Season 3 box set, and I must say I'm beginning to understand for the first time why this iconic series was 'canned' back in the day. Suffering from both budget cuts imposed by NBC, and a run of poor/terrible scripts, the end was most definitely nigh for Captain Kirk and his valiant crew.

Among the more noteworthy bad 3rd season stories are: 'Spock's Brain' a risible tale of the race to reunite everyones favorite Vulcan with his stolen grey matter. 'Spectre of the Gun' where our heroes have to relive a version of the gunfight at the OK Corral for some silly reason. The irremediably tedious 'The Empath', and worst of all 'Plato's Stepchildren'.

Beyond daft, and not even deemed worthy of broadcast on UK screens until 1994, this yarn is best remembered perhaps for (one of) the first inter racial kisses shown on US TV. Investigating a distress call Kirk, McCoy, and Spock are soon detained by a race of arrogant immortal beings who have modeled their society on that of ancient Greece (!) and take a perverse delight in humiliating lesser lifeforms. If the sight of Kirk and Spock being made to sing and prance around like a pair of terminally gaylord loons wasn't bad enough, the image of Captain Kirk - quite literally - being ridden by a dwarf has probably scarred me for life.

But never mind! because among all this dross the producers somehow managed to pull the magnificent 'Let that be your last Battlefield' out of the hat as it were - in this lifelong trekkie's opinion perhaps the finest episode in all TOS history.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Currently watching Battlestar Galactica : Blood and Chrome in glorious 1080p. This has been produced as a load of webisodes, but there is a hell of a lot to like.

The story follows a young William Adama as he joins the colonial fleet. Justifiably cocky, he has all the drive of the elder Adama (possibly more) but still full of rough edges and the rashness of youth.

The space stuff looks glorious, especially in HD - but the clash of the eager young Adama with his battle-hardened colleagues also makes for great drama, even more so as events unfold. Cocky he may be, he's undoubtedly gifted. Seeing Adama do his thing in combat situations is only bettered by the reluctant inspiration he drags from others.

Well worth a watch. Hope they go to a full series.

At the risk of being criticized for watching old TV again, I've just seen the Star Trek 1st pilot episode 'The Cage', and what a interesting comparison it makes compared to the more familiar Star Trek episodes than came later.

The Captain - No James T Kirk here so the USS Enterprise is under the command of Captain Christopher Pike, played by Geoffrey Hunter. Now don't get be wrong because I recall Bill Shatner's iconic Captain Kirk with great warmth, but Hunter is to be frank much less of a 'ham actor' than Shatner and his Captain Pike (although a conventional heroic leading man) is a much darker and more troubled man than Kirk. Capt Pike does however lack Kirk's undoubted charm, sense of humour, and fondness for ripping his shirt off. Not picked up for the second pilot episode, Hunter would sadly die as the result of a accident suffered while filming a B Movie in 1969.

Mr Spock - Unlike Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy was in at the very start of Star Trek - with those ears - but I don't think he is ever refereed to as a 'Vulcan' and the distinct Vulcan logical philosophy that later became such a important element of the show is not shown here.

Crew - A different (less irascible) doctor and no Scotty, Uhura, or Sulu. A equally key change perhaps is (instead of Spock) the second-in-command of this Enterprise (known only as 'Number one') is now played by producer Gene Roddenberry's wife Majel Barrett - Nurse Chapel in mainstream episodes. She is very good here methinks, and it's a bit of a shame she was subsequently relegated to such a minor role. I can only presume the studio executives thought the public were not ready to see a women holding down such a key position in what is after all a war fighting vessel.

Set and Special Effects - The main bridge set is very similar to the one later portrayed, the Enterprise corridors however are strangely triangular for some reason. I must say the Special Effects on display here are distinctly inferior to those employed later.

Script - This is a exceptionally well written story (by Roddenberry himself) that revolves around a alien race that can study and control people via their telepathic ability to implant powerful illusions into the mind. Much of 'The Cage' was later reused in the (very effective) first season episode 'The Menagerie'.

Conclusion - So all-in-all you can see why this series (eventually) made it into production. Seen as a piece of TV history I can only echo Mr Spock's catchphrase and describe it as "fascinating".

the second-in-command of this Enterprise (known only as 'Number one') is now played by producer Gene Roddenberry's wife Majel Barrett - Nurse Chapel in mainstream episodes. She is very good here methinks, and it's a bit of a shame she was subsequently relegated to such a minor role. I can only presume the studio executives thought the public were not ready to see a women holding down such a key position in what is after all a war fighting vessel.

She also played Deanna Troi's mother in numerous TNG episodes, and was the voice of the ship's computer in TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Doesn't sound like Khan then

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98350

"When J.J. described the role to me… he described someone who was, in movie terms, a mixture of Hannibal Lecter, Jack in 'The Shining", and the Joker in 'Batman'," Cumberbatch told GyaO!. "...He's someone who has enormous physical strength. He's someone who is incredibly dangerous, both as a physical entity and through the use of various technologies and weapons and who performs acts of what I would describe as terrorism. He's also a psychological master. He manipulates the minds of those around him to do his bidding in a very, very subtle way."

"His name is John Harrison and he is sort of an... average guy who works in an organization called Starfleet," Abrams explained to TrekMovie, "and he turns against the group because he has got this backstory and this kind of amazing secret agenda. After two very violent attacks, one in London and one in the US, our characters have to go after this guy and apprehend him. And it is a far more complicated and difficult thing then they ever anticipated. 'Into Darkness' is very much about how intense it gets and really what they are up against."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JWDQlmfgDcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DfR26bcr_ys

Hmmm

After Earth

After Earth is an upcoming science-fiction thriller film directed by M. Night Shyamalan, starring real-life father and son Will and Jaden Smith as Cypher and Kitai Raige. It will be distributed by Columbia Pictures. Wikipedia

Release date: June 7, 2013 (initial release)

Director: M. Night Shyamalan

Cinematography: Peter Suschitzky

Screenplay: Stephen Gaghan, Gary Whitta

Producers: James Lassiter, Caleeb Pinkett, Will Smith

She also played Deanna Troi's mother in numerous TNG episodes, and was the voice of the ship's computer in TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Ha!

I remember the look of sheer terror than came across Captain Pickard's face every time Lwaxana Troi came aboard the Enterprise. I sometimes think he'd rather face a fleet of Borg Cubes than spend a minute alone with that terrible women.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems that no-one has mentioned the fact that JJ Abrams is directing the new Star Wars films. Announced this week. Real logical choice in some way, potential bantha fodder in another. Going to have an impact on both series.

An interesting thing I've observed in the US is that there seems to be and either-or relationship between Star Trek and Star Wars. I remember saying that I liked Star Trek and some girl having a go at me saying "you should like Star Wars".

"Er, I do". Didn't compute. To me or her.

I thought Abrams ripped a lot of stuff off from Star Wars when he made his new Star Trek film anyway. Lemme see, freaky aliens in bars, planet-killing weapon, young kid brought into a larger universe by an old hand. It's classic Hero's Journey stuff.

I hope the new Star Trek films come to a quiet end, or at the very least, shouldn't exist without some other form of Trek which is a little truer to the series' traditions. Star Trek belongs on telly, I reckon.

You need the time with the characters to make it work, and the rebooted universe, which I don't mind at all, does have the unique disadvantage of never having given the audience much time with the cast. Everything you "know" about the characters in Star Trek 2009 is lifted from a timeline that doesn't exist. If Abrams makes a few Hero's Journey Star Wars movies, and that keeps him busy enough for Paramount to consider a new series, I'd be happy enough with that.

Cannot see a studio dropping the Star Trek Franchise Pap. Creativity in Hollywood these days is such a risk that tried and trusted formulas are about the only thing that gets past a bean counter.

Did find it amusing the rows in the US about this. Obviously Lucas will have had his ideas for 20 odd years and it will be interesting to see how he copes with the way Movie Sci Fi has developed (and yes that includes being ripped off by Star Trek Reboot).

IF Lucas goes down the woeful Jar Jar Binks and stupid CGI robot clones route again I can see JJ having his work cut out. The joy of the first 3 Star Wars films was the human actor factors and interaction - the only time that got slightly cringeworthy was with the Teddy Bear love in...

Interesting times. Star Trek reboot has a lot of problems, just where in the Universe do they go now After Voyager DS9 there are few quadrants left in the Galaxy that don't look like Southern California.

How interesting can it be exploring our Quadrant? They've done the Klingon Wars, do we become buddies with the Romulans now?

They will have to work hard to come up with new plots that don't involve becoming a series of stale Eric Banna/Benedict Bad Guys.

Someone needs to smoke some weird **** and come up with some new canvas to paint Star Trek into.

Perhaps that is why JJ jumped Franchise?

Is Lucas going to be writing these things? Lordy. That won't work well.

Anyway, on Star Trek. They won't or shouldn't leave it alone, but we need more than the films.

Personally, I'd like to see a wider show with the elements of the TNG/DS9/VOY universe in it. Janeway can be an admiral, Riker captain of the Enterprise, etc. seems criminal to waste all that talent while it is still around.

Bryan Singer, of X-Men and Usual Suspects fame, did a pitch for ST set 300 years after TNG.

http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-star-trek-federation-tv-show-schrad-111933/all/1/

Is Lucas going to be writing these things? Lordy. That won't work well.

Anyway, on Star Trek. They won't or shouldn't leave it alone, but we need more than the films.

Personally, I'd like to see a wider show with the elements of the TNG/DS9/VOY universe in it. Janeway can be an admiral, Riker captain of the Enterprise, etc. seems criminal to waste all that talent while it is still around.

Bryan Singer, of X-Men and Usual Suspects fame, did a pitch for ST set 300 years after TNG.

http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-star-trek-federation-tv-show-schrad-111933/all/1/

Voyager left a huge opportunity for a new angle and storyline with several episodes over the years encountering Time Ships and the like (as opposed to the Fly round the Sun fast and go back in time of The Original Series & TNG)

Wasn't there one about Time Agents? Or was that Enterprise?

But the ideas are there

Star Wars Lucas has the concepts but

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exclusive-no-more-star-wars-3d-prequel-releases-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/

Lucasfilm‘s promotional partners who are telling me the studio now owned by Disney wants to focus only on “rebooting the franchise” with three new films

This news comes just days after Disney confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the new Star Wars: Episode VII scheduled to be released in 2015. It’s the first new Star Wars movie since 2005. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, with the Star Wars franchise obviously the jewel in the crown. At the time, Disney CEO Bob Iger said three more Star Wars films were in the pipel

Edited by dubai_phil

More BSG spinoff viewing for me. Working my way through Caprica, the prequel series which explores the origins of the Cylon race. It's hard going, largely because the most of the main characters are bereaved parents.

That said, I completely buy it as a prequel, and although cancelled after a season, I've seen enough in nine episodes to know that the rest of the series will continue to weave cool stuff into the BSG universe. Virtual reality plays a big part of life in Caprica, so although large space battles are out, some impressive looking VR vistas

The drama is pretty dark. Broken people, broken relationships, religious zealots seeking immortality, etc. Good show; not sure how it would work if you haven't seen BSG.

Voyager left a huge opportunity for a new angle and storyline with several episodes over the years encountering Time Ships and the like (as opposed to the Fly round the Sun fast and go back in time of The Original Series & TNG)

Wasn't there one about Time Agents? Or was that Enterprise?

But the ideas are there

Star Wars Lucas has the concepts but

The temporal wars were a feature of Enterprise's first season. They binned that idea fairly swiftly. Have to say, season 3 of Enterprise, the whole Xindi expanse / war, is one of the best seasons of Trek ever.

What Science Fiction do you enjoy?

I like many of the stories Science Fiction can create and have seen a lot of Sci Fi over the years. It probably started with Star Trek the original series,then Star Wars and then grew from there. I love the orignal Twilight Zone and to a lesser extend the Outer limits. But over the years I have watched tons of Science Fiction on TV and at the movies. I've watched the good, the bad and the truly terrible. Its just a subject I find summons up the most interesting if not complex stories.

If I was going to recommend one current Sci Fi themed show, it would be Fringe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe_(TV_series)

So what Films, books, or television shows with Sci Fi themes do you like or can recommend?

I just want to say, J, that you put me onto Fringe and I have just finished watching the entire 5 seasons back to back, thanks to my....uhum...mates who have lent it to me, (yes, that sounds plausible to the FACT people).

Wow. Would probably have missed it too on TV had you not pointed it my way.

Many thanks.

I just want to say, J, that you put me onto Fringe and I have just finished watching the entire 5 seasons back to back, thanks to my....uhum...mates who have lent it to me, (yes, that sounds plausible to the FACT people).

Many thanks.

Great series watched on sky religiously from series one.

Looking forward to the new series due to start on sky Revolution.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest foray into the strange world of vintage Doctor Who found me watching the William Hartnell serial 'The Aztecs' which was first broadcast way back in 1964. The TARDIS materializes in (pre Conquistador) 15th Century Mexico. The Doctor, Ian, Barbara, and the ever annoying Susan soon become separated from the Tardis. The rest of the story could be briefly summerised as their valiant attempts survive a vicious Aztec power struggle and to reunite themselves with the Doctors aforementioned time machine - which is entombed within a Aztec Pyramid.

Typical early Who in the main. Cheaply made, studio based, and with the emphasis very much on plot, rather than non stop action. Viewers more familiar with the high production values and frantic pace of modern Who might find it dreadfully crude and slow I suppose. However watched purely as a interesting piece of Telly history then there is much to recommend it.

The sets/props/costumes are surprising good all things considered, and although Hartnell continues to fluff his lines quite regularly, the rest of the cast are fine. It's noticeable that Barbara (mistaken for the reincarnation of a ancient Aztec High Priest 'Yetaxa') has a unusually strong leading role here - by no means the traditional 'scream and be rescued' fate of most female assistants. Other out of the ordinary aspects of this story are the fact that our heroes utterly fail to divert the doomed Aztec culture from its bloody human sacrifice habit, and that the chief villain of the piece 'Tlotoxl' (played superbly by John Ringham) both survives and triumphs at the conclusion of the story - few subsequent Who baddies would be so nearly so fortunate.

Many thanks.

I am pleased to hear you have enjoyed Fringe. I think I must have the same mates who lent me my copies too ;) I've said it before and I'll say it again, Walter Bishop is probably one of the greatest sci fi character to grace our screens in recent years. John Noble created an emotionally complex puzzle of a character who was always a joy to watch. He always delivered an astounding dramatic performance. He was absolutely brilliant as Walter and I thought he deserved a award for his portrayal. All in my opinion of course ;)

• 1 month later...

I have finally started catching up on Fringe. Mmm, Agent Dunham. Olivia is probs the naturally best looking girl on TV. Never caked in make-up, yet looks delicious most of the time.

I hear the sci-fi elements are good too. I am at beginning of S2.

Just bought Firefly, only heard good things so looking forward to watching it!

Firefly occupies a sad little place in my heart. Joss never should have took it to Fox; might have had a chance under a more forgiving network. Anyways, it's over now - and it was over by the time I finally started watching it.

Pilot is really slow. Don't get me wrong; it's good, and definitely a present to anyone re-watching it - but it's not your whiz-bang pilot people may come to expect. The network chickened out and opened with The Train, which without the context of the pilot, makes the crew look like a bunch of unlikeable yahoos ( much as Serenity manages in its first 10 minutes ). The Train really works if you've seen the pilot, so I reckon this is a case of execs ruining the show before it was born.

The chase dynamic, which kicks in from the pilot, works really well - as does Mal's private rebellion against the Alliance. Up until the episode Ariel, Firefly is a charming sci-fi Western with plenty of laughs. Ariel, which is all about the crew pulling off an audacious heist deep in enemy territory - represents the starting point of a series of episodes which just get better and better. The only potential mis-step is Heart of Gold, the episode where our daring crew save a brothel of well meaning whores from a local tyrant ( that plot-line could almost have come from Knight Rider :D ).

Serenity settles into being a great film, although it's jarring on first watch, especially the first few minutes. Dunno if it's the best sci fi film ever, but it really is a good ending to the series, leaving the crew with more than enough to do if the show ever came back.

Bit spotty in parts, but a great overall experience and really well put together.

I have finally started catching up on Fringe. Mmm, Agent Dunham. Olivia is probs the naturally best looking girl on TV. Never caked in make-up, yet looks delicious most of the time.

I hear the sci-fi elements are good too. I am at beginning of S2.

Got some crackers to come and it is way out there as it goes on enjoy.

I just payed good money to see the new Tom Cruise film 'Oblivion'. In yet another post apocalypse dystopian future, where a devastated planet Earth is all but abandoned after a alien invasion, our hero plays a kind of super cool service engineer who repairs the ferocious combat drone thingys that are supposedly fighting the remaining aliens - but is everything all that it seems to be?

It would be wrong for me to state that this is a bad film - the effects are brilliant, the production values are top notch, and the action scenes very impressive - but this is another of those efforts that may provide a feast for the eye, but make a pretty meager meal for the imagination. I just can't watch this sort of thing without being instantly reminded of a 100 other sci fi films that have gone before, from Independence Day to Logans Run via Planet of the Apes.

But if you want to see it then please don't let me put you off because perhaps the problem is more me rather than the film. It strikes me that my ongoing quest to recapture the frill I got in my youth seeing great Science Fiction films (such as Alien, Blade Runner or Terminator II) for the very first time is a hopeless one because, as I enter my fifth decade clinging to the surface of this mad planet, I've just seen it all before I'm afraid.

I just payed good money to see the new Tom Cruise film 'Oblivion'. In yet another post apocalypse dystopian future, where a devastated planet Earth is all but abandoned after a alien invasion, our hero plays a kind of super cool service engineer who repairs the ferocious combat drone thingys that are supposedly fighting the remaining aliens - but is everything all that it seems to be?

It would be wrong for me to state that this is a bad film - the effects are brilliant, the production values are top notch, and the action scenes very impressive - but this is another of those efforts that may provide a feast for the eye, but make a pretty meager meal for the imagination. I just can't watch this sort of thing without being instantly reminded of a 100 other sci fi films that have gone before, from Independence Day to Logans Run via Planet of the Apes.

But if you want to see it then please don't let me put you off because perhaps the problem is more me rather than the film. It strikes me that my ongoing quest to recapture the frill I got in my youth seeing great Science Fiction films (such as Alien, Blade Runner or Terminator II) for the very first time is a hopeless one because, as I enter my fifth decade clinging to the surface of this mad planet, I've just seen it all before I'm afraid.

Have you seen District 9 yet, Charlie?

That would be my favourite new sci-fi film of the last decade. Truly something different; its greatness kinda sneaks up on you.

Edited by pap

Oooo..please be good!

As I just said to Chapel End Charlie, District 9 is one of my all time favourites.

That trailer is very encouraging; top effects, love the cyborg thing and Elysium looks really well realised.

As some of you might know, The 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who is upon us this November. Obviously the TV show will have its own its special episode that looks likely to be a multiple Doctor story with the 10th and 11th Doctor meeting.

What you might not know is of the Audio story being produced by the Big Finish. If you dont know about Big Finish Productions they are a British company that produces books and audio plays released straight to cd or for download as mp3 files, primarily, on cult British science fiction properties. They are best known for their Doctor Who line.

They have produced some fine unseen stories for each of the classic Doctors voiced by the original actors themselves. For the 50th anniversary they have made their own multiple Doctor story and it sound very promising.

As A big Doctor Who fan myself, What makes me even more interested to hear this story and share this news, is it seems to be based in Southampton... Well ok, 59A ,Barnsfield Crescent, Totton, to be precise. Does anyone know anyone who lives there? Check out the advert as its name checked :)

[video=youtube;7A-MAp3ZsYs]

Edited by Saint J 77

I asked Nick Briggs about the Totton thing a few months ago, I received a very boring "wait and see" answer.

I was guessing the address might be the actual address of someone from the Big Finish team who once lived in Totton, that helped set up the company and was directly responsible for keeping Doctor Who going with the audio plays during the TV wilderness years. That is just a guess though, I may well be completely wrong.

Strange no DT in that and he has confirmed he will be back for it

David Tennant is definitely in the 50th tv special but I don't think he has any involvement in the 50th Big finish Audio play. I believe its Strictly classic Doctors only.