Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

Bearsy, if you loved time travelling Nazi's then you really have to watch Iron Sky after a bucket of beers tasteless, goofy and just daft, and a classic moment where the Nazi Space Ship pilots have found a copy of Play-Boy after being stuck on the Dark Side of the Moon is just ROFL.

Saintjay - get those last 4 episodes watched and quickly. The 3rd last goes off on a totally WTF tangent but is really important to the story over all......

I want to see Iron Sky but haven't got around to it yet. I'm getting those Fringe episodes soon. So hopefully I'll be up to speed on it shortly :)

• 2 weeks later...
It's taken a long time, but i've finally given in....

I've purchased the season 1 DVD Boxset for Babylon 5. A series i've always wanted to get into but never had chance to. What's the feeling on the show fellow geeks?

I watched season 1 to 5 all the way through for the first time last year. I had never really got in to it when it it was on TV. I felt at the time it was trying to muscle in on my beloved Star Trek. My brother in-law is a big fan of B5 and after much discussion he convinced me to watch it and he lent me all 5 seasons. It took me a while, maybe 8 episodes or so but I did eventually find myself hooked and enjoying it. G`Kar is a great character and his journey alone is worth watching all 5 seasons for. I'd actually say he is a sci fi great and is developed very well through out the 5 seasons. In the first season I found myself liking the character Commander Sinclair even if his acting is a little bit wooden at times. Don't get too attached to him though as he leaves after season 1. Although he does come back for a couple of episodes later on. I read the actors didn't get on with him as he was a bit strange on set and refused to work with him again and thats why they wrote him out. Apparently he had a drugs problem. Sad if true. Still I was pleasantly surprised by Babylon 5. I found it actually did deserve all the hype it had received by some of my fellow sci fi fans and it could peacefully co-exist with my beloved Star Trek without stepping on its stars :)

I hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Saint J 77

8 episodes into Babylon 5 now.

Really promising so far. I've purposely tried to avoid spoilers so here's my take being totally blind to it.

I cannot help but wonder how much more inkeeping this would be with more modern series like Battlestar Galactica, the lower budget sets and primitive CGI (while amazing for the time) do slightly hinder the immersion in the series, one monorail sequence in the episode 'Mind War' in particular spring to mind yet, the story is good enough to utterly drag me in.

There are so many avenues opening up at the moment. Why was Commander Sinclair captured by the Minbari during the battle of the line? Why was Delenn there? Who are the Omega 95... (whatever the number was...) Aliens who nearly killed Sinclair's girlfriend? Why are the Vorlons such secretive sods? Why was the guy who played Chekov in Star Trek not offered bigger roles in his career, as the Psi-corps bloke he is terrifying!

Some of the acting is wooden, the villains a bit obvious and the sets cheap. But yes. Hooked. Series 2 is already on order.

The first season of B5 is probably the worst of the lot, Col. If you're enjoying that then you are going to love the rest. Still my all-time favourite sci-fi show. The scope is immense.

Onto the eleventh now.... it just keeps growing!

Love the character Londo Mollari. And I swear the actor who plays G'Kar was in Star Trek....

Yes! Adreas Katsulas (Thankyou Wikipedia) Played the Romulan Tomalak..... He is now dead from lung cancer, quite sad, was only 59. :(

Edited by Colinjb

Onto the eleventh now.... it just keeps growing!

Love the character Londo Mollari. And I swear the actor who plays G'Kar was in Star Trek....

Yes! Adreas Katsulas (Thankyou Wikipedia) Played the Romulan Tomalak..... He is now dead from lung cancer, quite sad, was only 59. :(

Ah stop it. You're making me want to watch it now. Andreas Katsulas gives the performance of his life as G'Kar. Every B5 fan I know lists him as one of their favourite characters. Londo also fascinates. Nice thing about B5 is that it'll put any of its characters front and centre, for a good few episodes if need be. Both of these guys get a lot of screen time, including some of the best moments of the series.

One thing that will please you is that the effects do get better year on year.

Ok, first series done.

Really liking the 'Mr Morden' character. Who are those cloaked associates of his?

All getting to be quite vast, no questions really being answered, more opening up.

The worst acting i've ever seen though came from the man portraying the babylon 4 commander, terrible! So hammy! Horribly clashed with the straight up, almost wooden approach taken by the actor playing Sinclair.

Any other guys thinking about taking a look at Babylon 5.... do so! Highly recommended!

Edited by Colinjb

My fellow Sci Fi fans.

I have just noticed today - for the first time I'm ashamed to say - that the somewhat rotund actor who played 'Captain Hollister' in ten episodes of Red Dwarf - Mac McDonald - also played base commander 'Al Simpson' in James Cameron's action masterpiece Aliens, although I must admit he is only seen in the so called 'Directors Cut' version. This is obviously a important development so I thought I'd waste no time in letting you all know.

Stay tuned for further updates direct from Nerdville Control.

He also has the briefest of roles in the 1989 Batman film, as the goon who throws the ladder from the helicopter for The Joker at the end.

On the subject of Red Dwarf they've been counting down to the new series by showing the old ones back to back so I sat down and watched all of Series 5 today. This, along with series 6 are for me, Red Dwarf at its peak. Saw some truly brilliant episodes today, with Quarantine and Back To Reality the pick of the bunch.

"Mr Flibble is VERY cross."

He also has the briefest of roles in the 1989 Batman film, as the goon who throws the ladder from the helicopter for The Joker at the end.

On the subject of Red Dwarf they've been counting down to the new series by showing the old ones back to back so I sat down and watched all of Series 5 today. This, along with series 6 are for me, Red Dwarf at its peak. Saw some truly brilliant episodes today, with Quarantine and Back To Reality the pick of the bunch.

Mac McDonald has been around the block a few times, tbh.

Apparently he was in the original Rollerball, though uncredited. Was also in Memphis Belle.

I recently read a very geeky story called "Night of the Living Trekkies" Here is a brief run down on the story if you like Star Trek and Zombies stories you may well be interested :)

Jim Pike is a glorified bellhop at the hotel and while he seems to know a lot about Star Trek, his enthusiasm for the franchise isn’t quite what it should be, especially considering that he’s working at the center of a massive Star Trek Con. Jim has seen too much during his tours as a soldier in Afghanistan to take pleasure in such trivial hobbies anymore. Instead of being excited for the convergence of his fellow Trek brethren — including his sister Rayna and her friends — Jim dreads the upcoming onslaught. Unfortunately, the onslaught that does arrive in town turns out to be thousands of flesh-eating zombies!

Together with a few survivors, including a booth babe dressed in Slave Leia garb, Jim must fend off the zombies and find a way to live through the ordeal while simultaneously battling his inner demons.

Lovers of the zombie genre will definitely breeze through this book, while Star Trek fans will revel in the abundance of in-jokes and shout-outs to their beloved franchise (take note of the chapter titles). There’s also plenty of Star Wars references as well, which was a fun way of combining the two scifi heavyweights in this tale (much like the movie Fanboys did).

Night Of The Living Trekkies is a fast-read, and while you might think it’s a typical zombie survival tale of a small group of humans trying not to get eaten, it’s really much more than that. I don’t want to give away anything, but GulfCon is more than meets the eye. Also, even if you’re not a big Trek fan, don’t worry, you can find this adventure enjoyable too.

I recommend grabbing a copy for some light, fun reading, especially if you’re looking for a quick zombie and/or sci fi fix.

Red Dwarf x now only a week away, I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2210523/Fans-Jenna-Louise-Coleman-topless-BBC-drama-thats-90-cent-sex.html

Blimey

Not only am I unable to watch the latest Dr Who series just yet, but now I see I also missed the Doc's new Assistant getting her kit off on UK telly last week.

Here's the story everyone, go find it!

So how many previous Doc's squeezes have got their kit off on telly?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2210523/Fans-Jenna-Louise-Coleman-topless-BBC-drama-thats-90-cent-sex.html

Blimey

Not only am I unable to watch the latest Dr Who series just yet, but now I see I also missed the Doc's new Assistant getting her kit off on UK telly last week.

Here's the story everyone, go find it!

So how many previous Doc's squeezes have got their kit off on telly?

This is why I don't like the Daily Mail! They is promising that show is "90% sex" but I've watched 26 minutes and I ain't seen a single boob yet! I feel cheated!

Oh it's alright now, there was this old woman with her boobs out, that weren't that hot, but then at the end the one from Doctor Who got her boobs out and she was touching his chap and he was putting his hand up her skirt and she was loving it. This is why I pay my license fee or whatever!

Oh it's alright now, there was this old woman with her boobs out, that weren't that hot, but then at the end the one from Doctor Who got her boobs out and she was touching his chap and he was putting his hand up her skirt and she was loving it. This is why I pay my license fee or whatever!

Somehow, I just guessed that i could serve it and Bearsy could return it

What do the panel think of Farscape?

Loved Farscape.

The issue of ships being alive was in a series of books I now can't remember the titles of - int he books the captain was psychologically bonded to the ship - I'm sure some of you people will come up with the titles.

Always liked the on off thing between Crichton and Aeryn.

Firefly one of my favourites and a travesty it was canned. Great characters. Kaylee!

• 1 month later...

Babylon 5: A Retrospective.

After a few months of effort, I have now watched the entirety of Babylon 5 through from start to finish. In summary, it's a masterpiece.

It takes a little while to find it's feet and a few episodes in series 1 are absolutely terrible, but even in these there are seeds of information, plot and reference that can go on to have surprising importance in the overall narrative. This is an ongoing story, the episodes cannot be watched on their own, you real need to give the show time and once you are in you are in for a treat.

From the end of series 2 through to the end of series 4 this is the best science fiction show I have ever seen, it even eclipses the remake of Battlestar Galactica. Series 5 provides a fitting prologue to the drama but cannot find it's own path, it is just giving closure.

Every single character goes on a journey, Sheridan's rise from soldier to Leader, Delenn emerging as the heart of the show, G'Kar's growth from a thug into an unwilling spiritual focal point for his people and the tragedies of Londo Mollari and Susan Ivanova. All woven against the backdrop of themes of chaos, free will, religion and odd as it may sound the role of parenthood in the context of a galactic war.

This series deserves to be updated and remade, the only thing it lacks now are the production values of it's modern day counterparts, but special effects improve dramatically as the show goes on.

Oh, and the DVD's are now dirt cheap if you know where to look. Highly recommended to any sci-fi geeks like myself.

Col, it warms my heart to see someone else discover the genius of Babylon 5. I was only really aware of the first series because the effects company used pimped-out Amiga 4000s to generate the visuals. You're right; they get a lot better as the series wears on! At the time though, think my heart was in Star Trek, and was watching Deep Space 9. I actually remember having a late-night row with a mate where I suggested that DS9 was better. In my defence, I was drunk and hadn't seen B5 at this point.

Seasons 2-4 are superb. Even a lot of stuff in S1 is worth it for the payoff, but yep; some proper embarrassing stuff in there. The problem with Season 5 is that JMS, the shows' creator, never knew he was going to get to make it until the very last minute. That's why S4 has such a breakneck pace; racing to the end.

The prospects of a remake are slim. Unfortunately, JMS has been pretty hardline on the subject. He feels that no-one else could breath life into those characters the same way the original actors did, and a number of the original cast have shuffled off the mortal coil. Richard Biggs ( Dr. Stephen Franklin ) and Andreas Katsulas ( G'Kar ) are both dead now. It's a shame, because despite my ill-advised protest that DS9 trumps B5, the truth is that nothing else comes close.

It is the most complete science fiction story I've seen; has OMFG moments aplenty and actually has a proper stab at explaining all of religion! The treatment of humanity is especially interesting. None of this nicey-nicey Federation beeswax. At all times, humanity is both the greatest threat to itself and the greatest chance of salvation.

Edited by pap

The whole "spaceships whacking crap out of each other" has been somewhat neglected since the end of BSG.

Rejoice. Battlestar Galactica : Blood and Chrome hits next year. Even better, anyone can watch 20 minutes of the pilot right now. Looks the business from what I've seen.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE&feature=relmfu

Link to Pt 2 embedded at the end of part one. Part 3 out on 16th November :)

Is Face in it?

Unfortunately not.

Oh, and before any of you pipe-hittin' nerds decide to go to town on poor Jonnyboy here for his insistence on Dirk Benedict, just be aware that one of my mates refused to watch the BSG remake after I informed him that there were no robot daggetts.

Dealbreaker, apparently.

boxey1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be Gary Mitchell then? or Will it be Khan Nooien Singh

Now that is a brilliant idea.

Gary was there in Episode 1

We have been rebooted and so in episode 1 of the new reality we have Gary Mitchell.

Amazeballs if true

(WTF are you on about D_P)

Well of course I am on about Gary Mitchell who was the Helmsman of The Enterprise in the original Episode 1 - Where no Man has Gone before

The Synopsis of the new movie (Due out next summer JJ Abrams in charge) is ....

n Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness. When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

We wait with baited breath to see who Benedict becomes

Could it be Gary Mitchell then? or Will it be Khan Nooien Singh

Now that is a brilliant idea.

Gary was there in Episode 1

We have been rebooted and so in episode 1 of the new reality we have Gary Mitchell.

Amazeballs if true

(WTF are you on about D_P)

Well of course I am on about Gary Mitchell who was the Helmsman of The Enterprise in the original Episode 1 - Where no Man has Gone before

The Synopsis of the new movie (Due out next summer JJ Abrams in charge) is ....

We wait with baited breath to see who Benedict becomes

Khan Noonien Singh without Ricardo Montalban is like roast beef without yorkshire pudding. Sorry, aint going to work, especially with Benedict Cucumber playing the role, who is as white as a sheet.

For me Gary Mitchell is too obscure, besides always found that actor (was in 2001 too) to be a humourless pompous sod, so dont like that episode. Also, if that character can return, so could Charlie X or Trelane, that sort of "omnipotent stroppy kid" role occurs frequently through the whole history of Star Trek (John de Lancie as Q being yet another example).

Suppose we'll have to wait and see. Personally rather they came up with something original.

The rumours I have heard are that it will be Gary Mitchell (Benedict Cumberbatch), with his partner in crime Elizabeth Dehner (Alice Eve) also making an appearance.

In the context of the title "Into Darkness" it makes sense and the dynamic of Kirk's academy friend obtaining superhuman powers and becoming corrupted by his new found power should make for a gripping story if done correctly. The intesity of Benedict Cumberbatch in the role could be spectacular.

The rumours I have heard are that it will be Gary Mitchell (Benedict Cumberbatch), with his partner in crime Elizabeth Dehner (Alice Eve) also making an appearance.

In the context of the title "Into Darkness" it makes sense and the dynamic of Kirk's academy friend obtaining superhuman powers and becoming corrupted by his new found power should make for a gripping story if done correctly. The intesity of Benedict Cumberbatch in the role could be spectacular.

I would welcome the use of the character Gary Mitchell in an alternative storyline. I would much rather this than a retelling of the Khan storyline, which in my mind has already been told to perfection in both "Space Seed" and the Movie "The Wrath. Plus no one could top Ricardo Montalban's "KHAAAaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!". I'm not sure JJ Abrams will go down the God like powers as the original story did in "Where no man has gone before". More likely, as you have said already, if he does use Gary Mitchell, he will go for a genetic engineered superhuman version. He'll have strength almost like Khan from a simular process. I don't think JJ Abraham's wants a Q type Entity in his lens flared filled Star Trek universe.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. But, I've just been doing some rummaging in the corners of my memory, and double-checking something on Wikipedia, and you may be on to something. Why ? In the original series second pilot "Where no Man Has Gone Before", the planet Mitchell has been marooned on is Delta Vega. The planet older Spock and Kirk were marooned on in the 2009 film was.....Delta Vega. Coincidence, or does this somehow provide a plot lever ?

Anyway, cant see how Dehner will be in the film, Mitchell killed her.

I would welcome the use of the character Gary Mitchell in an alternative storyline. I would much rather this than a retelling of the Khan storyline, which in my mind has already been told to perfection in both "Space Seed" and the Movie "The Wrath. Plus no one could top Ricardo Montalban's "KHAAAaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!". I'm not sure JJ Abrams will go down the God like powers as the original story did in "Where no man has gone before". More likely, as you have said already, if he does use Gary Mitchell, he will go for a genetic engineered superhuman version. He'll have strength almost like Khan from a simular process. I don't think JJ Abraham's wants a Q type Entity in his lens flared filled Star Trek universe.

I thought it was William Shatner's ?

Love the little caption "Evil-gasm" that pops up when Khan expresses his satisfaction, like he has just whacked one off

A classic moment of motion picture history, which ever way you look at it.

I dont have a problem with the usual sci-fi plot devices for bringing her back, of course. But she tried killing Mitchell before he killed her, so why should they suddently be buddies again ?

Because in the rebooted Star Trek Universe the events of that episode have not occurred yet. Therefore they are just normal star fleet officers at the start of the new film.

Because in the rebooted Star Trek Universe the events of that episode have not occurred yet. Therefore they are just normal star fleet officers at the start of the new film.

Hmmm. Not what the plot teaser is inferring, I thought. Sounds to me like Mitchell has already changed. But WTF, its all sheer speculation at the moment.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. But, I've just been doing some rummaging in the corners of my memory, and double-checking something on Wikipedia, and you may be on to something. Why ? In the original series second pilot "Where no Man Has Gone Before", the planet Mitchell has been marooned on is Delta Vega. The planet older Spock and Kirk were marooned on in the 2009 film was.....Delta Vega. Coincidence, or does this somehow provide a plot lever ?

Anyway, cant see how Dehner will be in the film, Mitchell killed her.

Delta Vega in "Where no Man Has Gone Before" was a lithium cracking station near the edge of the galaxy. Delta Vega n the 2009 Movie was meant to be a a small planetoid near Vulcan. I say planetoid not a moon because as all original series Star Trek fans know, Vulcan has NO moon! It was named by the writers Delta Vega as a tip of the hat the original series second pilot "Where no Man Has Gone Before". I think on the the writers have said that its not meant to be the Planet from original series.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Where_No_Man_Has_Gone_Before_(episode)

In the original story both Mitchell and Dehner died on Delta Vega, the 2009 movie was meant to have created a new timeline. In this timeline they can both exist again and could lead very different lives due to the changes in the timeline. The whole reason they blew up the original timeline was so the writers didn't have to slavishly adhere to 40 years of Star Trek continuity and supposedly come up with new story lines. I personally thought it was a VERY lazy way around it, but it seems this story will be a retelling of an orignal story, instead of coming up with a totally original story.

I thought it was William Shatner's ?

Love the little caption "Evil-gasm" that pops up when Khan expresses his satisfaction, like he has just whacked one off

A classic moment of motion picture history, which ever way you look at it.

Yeah I know Kirk said it, I just meant no one could top Ricardo Montalban's performance as "KHAAAaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!". I agreed definitely a classic moment of motion picture history :D

Edited by Saint J 77