Can We Not Appeal Against Red Card

Smalls

The club can appeal but I doubt if it is worth it as the FA won't overturn it unless Euell changes his name to John Terry and we change the club's name to Chelsea-by-the-sea! Lets face it they only overturn red cards for England interationals who play for the "big four"! :(

If we don't appeal we are stupid. That is a decision that will easily get reversed.

I beg to differ.

It's the sort of tackle that the FA will back the referee on as they'll argue that, according to the rule book, the challenge warrants a red.

However, this is where MOST refs would have used their common sense and realised that Euell deserved, at the very most, a yellow card.

I beg to differ.

It's the sort of tackle that the FA will back the referee on as they'll argue that, according to the rule book, the challenge warrants a red.

However, this is where MOST refs would have used their common sense and realised that Euell deserved, at the very most, a yellow card.

What rule in the book says that Euells challenge deserves a straight red?

The one that says that tackling 2 footed is a red card offence!!

This is an example of where the law is an ass. The Wolves player gets there & makes contact with the ball - he also went in with 2 feet but goes unpunished. Euell gets there a fraction of a second later & it's a straight red card. By the letter of the law, the ref has made the right decision & although for there to be no middle ground is ridiculous.

Therefore, there is no point appealing this one. The chances of getting it overturned are nil. Thats the FA, UEFA & FIFA for you for wanting to stop football being a contact sport.

Law 12. "A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1 is guilty of serious foul play

2 is guilty of violent conduct

etc etc "

Decision 4 adds

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play".

Clearly if the ref decided that the tackle was dangerous he had no option but to send Euell off.

There is a separate argument about whether it was dangerous or not, and maybe the ref got that wrong, but he has no choice or discretion about the sanction.

Law 12. "A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

etc etc "

Decision 4 adds

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play".

Clearly if the ref decided that the tackle was dangerous he had no option but to send Euell off.

There is a separate argument about whether it was dangerous or not, and maybe the ref got that wrong, but he has no choice or discretion about the sanction.

But if the Wolves player hadn't slid in at the angle that he did, there would have been no danger to him because they came from two different angles.

But if the Wolves player hadn't slid in at the angle that he did, there would have been no danger to him because they came from two different angles.

Absolutely, I'm not sure the Wolves player did play the ball, I'll check tonight. It looked possible that he slid past it, whilst Euell looked close to the ball and caught the other player purely as a result of both their momentum and the 90 degree angle.

The one that says that tackling 2 footed is a red card offence!!

etc etc "

Decision 4 adds

1. It was NOT a 2 footed challenge by either player, both had 1 foot "tucked" under the body/other leg.

2. Euell even tried to get his foot out of the way.

euell.jpg

IMHO anyway.

1. It was NOT a 2 footed challenge by either player, both had 1 foot "tucked" under the body/other leg.

2. Euell even tried to get his foot out of the way.

euell.jpg

IMHO anyway.

It almost looks as if the defender got between Euell and the ball, and they ran into each other.

Why don't you email this and other associated frames to the club.

Edited by derry

Up until now had not seen anything on TV but from that picture I would have sent both off, as the follow through contact from either could have resulted in a broken leg - Euell has his studs up high and Stearman is stamping in effect, not pretty either way.

Up until now had not seen anything on TV but from that picture I would have sent both off, as the follow through contact from either could have resulted in a broken leg - Euell has his studs up high and Stearman is stamping in effect, not pretty either way.

No, that's a misinterpretation. I was there and have seen replay. Both slid towards the ball, at 90 degrees to each other. Wolves player in effect slid across the front of Euell, knocking the ball out of Euell's way and putting himseif there in the way instead, because he got there a split second before Euell did. I'd have said both were a little reckless but neither committed a foul as such. Had Euell been later and able to pull out from his attempt, then yes a foul, but as it was almost simultaneous, then it was effectively a 50-50 ball.

The Wolves player clearly was hurt btw, and any suggestion (that I've seen in some other posts) that he dived or made the most of it is unfair.

And to answer the thread title, yes we can and should appeal.

K.