The Ugly Inside "Branfoot" edition

Mole

he dropped le tiss and tried to force him out of the club in favour of cloggers...we stayed up in spite of him and simply because of matt le tisser...

the one game i remember well was the branfoot out protest (a red card protest) one night at the dell v newcastle live on sky...le tiss had been dropped for 5 games or so and due to massive pressure, he was put back in the team...

we were 1-0 to the geordies and MLT simply scored the two goals of the seaon in front of me ( i ws stood in the milton) and that was something I will never forget...we won 2-1

on another note...newcastle had a keeper in goal at the time called mike hooper..i dont think he ever played a top flight game again after that...

the fan base back then were far more passionate than today, dell or no dell...info was through the ugly and the like and not on places like this...

things were different back then

edit - also, i dont think you will find a thoroughly decent guy (branfoot) being hated by so many...and when i mean hate it was sheer hate back then....makes anything we do towards lowe like a pantomime

Edited by Thedelldays

the fan base back then were far more passionate than today, dell or no dell...info was through the ugly and the like and not on places like this...

They had every reason to be passionate as the style of play at the time was terrible! Good quality players were expected to aimlessly lump it upfield - now it's pretty but without the quality players...

My next door neighbour moved from Reading and quickly bought a season ticket he was distraught when Branfoot followed him.

The problem with the UI magazine mentioned was the headline 'I Hope You Die soon' - which was a going a bit too far.

The problem with the UI magazine mentioned was the headline 'I Hope You Die soon' - which was a going a bit too far.

It was brilliant. That one edition of the UI was so controversial it put the whole Branfoot Out campaign firmly in the national spotlight.

Pretty sure the "Hope you die soon" cover was from the Red Stripe fanzine, not the UI.

I did buy the fanzine at the time and it did have red stripes on the front...

I always thought it was the UI though.:confused:

We need confirmation or better still a photo of the front page putting up here. I've done some searches on the net and can't find it, but perhaps others will have more luck.

"The Southampton Independent Supporters' Association - formed solely to oust Branfoot - ran his picture with the sick message on the front cover of their fanzine."

So which fanzine is it?

i always thought it was the fanzine On the March....but the UI gets the credit all the time so maybe it was them (aswell?)

I'm pretty sure the "Hope you die soon" On the March cover wasn't just a sick statement putting into words Saints fans' displeasure at Branfoots terrible management, but was in fact a brilliant catch phrase of the time that featured in the very dark humoured `Poppet on a swing' sketch from a Harry Enfield TV show.

Quality sketch, brilliant use of the catchphrase, but no real malice intended IMO. I could be wrong though...

Edited by Chez

he dropped le tiss and tried to force him out of the club in favour of cloggers...we stayed up in spite of him and simply because of matt le tisser...

the one game i remember well was the branfoot out protest (a red card protest) one night at the dell v newcastle live on sky...le tiss had been dropped for 5 games or so and due to massive pressure, he was put back in the team...

we were 1-0 to the geordies and MLT simply scored the two goals of the seaon in front of me ( i ws stood in the milton) and that was something I will never forget...we won 2-1

on another note...newcastle had a keeper in goal at the time called mike hooper..i dont think he ever played a top flight game again after that...

edit - also, i dont think you will find a thoroughly decent guy (branfoot) being hated by so many...and when i mean hate it was sheer hate back then....makes anything we do towards lowe like a pantomime

you forgot the gesture towards the bench by letissier when he scored.....he more or less indicated 'up yours branfoot'.

those were the days when the fans had the last say,nothing like the happy clappy sing a few lowe out chants type of namby pamby cant be bothered sh1te we have today.

I'm pretty sure the "Hope you die soon" On the March cover wasn't just a sick statement putting into words Saints fans' displeasure at Branfoots terrible management, but was in fact a brilliant catch phrase of the time that featured in the very dark humoured `Poppet on a string' sketch from a Harry Enfield TV show.

Quality sketch, brilliant use of the catchphrase, but no real malice intended IMO. I could be wrong though...

Yeh, it was apparently meant as a dig at his arrogant attitude. There was his speech bubble response of "Bet I Don't" which was conveninetly airbrushed out when the fanzine was shown on MOTD. So though it was pretty poor taste, it was not meant in the way it was taken (but don't think it was ever going to be taken any other way!!)

And agree with delldays, Branfoot was actually a top bloke. he just had us playing awful football that head us hurtling towards relegation about 11 years ahead of schedule. From the stuff I have heard from someone who works at Winchester College, he & Lew Chatterley have long talks on all that has gone wrong at the club in the last few years.

Yeh, it was apparently meant as a dig at his arrogant attitude. There was his speech bubble response of "Bet I Don't" which was conveninetly airbrushed out when the fanzine was shown on MOTD. So though it was pretty poor taste, it was not meant in the way it was taken (but don't think it was ever going to be taken any other way!!)

And agree with delldays, Branfoot was actually a top bloke. he just had us playing awful football that head us hurtling towards relegation about 11 years ahead of schedule. From the stuff I have heard from someone who works at Winchester College, he & Lew Chatterley have long talks on all that has gone wrong at the club in the last few years.

Is my memory playing tricks on me, but didn't another fanzine at the time (or it might have been On The March again) have a smartie sellotaped to every front cover as some of sort of suicide pill to take if you though the football was bad. Sort of twisted, but IMHO that sort of twisted balck terrace humour.

Is my memory playing tricks on me, but didn't another fanzine at the time (or it might have been On The March again) have a smartie sellotaped to every front cover as some of sort of suicide pill to take if you though the football was bad.

that was the red stripe. my uncle did that cover, i still have it somewhere.

Remember all this was all during our glory days when we were a fantastic family club, regularly challenging at the top of the division before Lowe came along four years later and took us into "terminal decline" from the very second he walked in the door.

Remember all this was all during our glory days when we were a fantastic family club, regularly challenging at the top of the division before Lowe came along four years later and took us into "terminal decline" from the very second he walked in the door.

Indeed. I beleive Branfoot was ousted by fan power after he failed to retain the European Cup when Barcelona did us on penalties in the final.

Ah for the halycion pre-Lowe days. Say what you want about Branfoot but I think the the 3 League titles, 2 FA Cups and a European Cup that he won us will be a record that will take some time to beat.....