Best US TV show

Thedelldays

the yanks have produced some of the best TV shows (and some of the worst)....

Band of brothers was excellent but that was a one off...one series..

what are your favourite longer running series?

In no order

Sopranos

Law and Order (any variety)

CSI (vegas only)

Star Trek TNG

True Blood

The Wire

Entourage

Edited by Thedelldays

never seen breaking bad...what is it about?

High school chemistry teacher finds out he has terminal cancer, starts cooking crystal meth with one of his former students.

Or as Vince Gilligan, the show's creator says:-

"You will see Mr Chips turn into Scarface".

Sons of Anarchy

Are all excellent from begining to end

What is The Wire like, I've never seen it?

Sons of Anarchy is not excellent from beginning to end! Parts of it are a f**king travesty! "I'll steal your baby! etc etc". On balance, a good show though.

The Wire is excellent, but the first four episodes are hard work first time out because of all the street slang. Stick with it, and it's one of the best shows ever made.

Entourage

The Shield

Friday Night Lights

Sons of Anarchy

Are all excellent from begining to end

What is The Wire like, I've never seen it?

as pap said..the wire is simply brilliant...easily one of the best show ever made in any country, IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!

you have to start from the beginning and follow it through..each season looks at a different dysfunctional part of the USA....simply brilliant

Edited by Thedelldays

as pap said..the wire is simply brilliant...easily one of the best show ever made in any country

you have to start from the beginning and follow it through..each season looks at a different dysfunctional part of the USA....simply brilliant

The season with the school children was the best.

as pap said..the wire is simply brilliant...easily one of the best show ever made in any country, IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!

The season with the school children was the best.

Something that I realised pretty late on in The Wire was that I enjoyed watching every character, even if I didn't like the character.

Epic show.

Does anyone else get Hypochondriac and Delldays mixed up?

In my mind they're almost exactly the same person. I don't know if either of them is offended by this, but I've tried to mention it on a non-contentious thread to avoid offence. Their posts are very similar in content and style.

In my mind they're almost exactly the same person. I don't know if either of them is offended by this, but I've tried to mention it on a non-contentious thread to avoid offence. Their posts are very similar in content and style.

I've never worked on submarines and to my knowledge tdd has never owned nurseries,

The Sopranos

Friends

Star Trek DS9

Babylon 5

Battlestar Galactica (Remake)

Firefly

The West Wing

Tempted to start watching the wire, but worried that i'll end up losing all of my time to it.

If the second series of Homeland can match the first then I would add that here too.

The Sopranos

Friends

Star Trek DS9

Babylon 5

Battlestar Galactica (Remake)

Firefly

The West Wing

Tempted to start watching the wire, but worried that i'll end up losing all of my time to it.

If the second series of Homeland can match the first then I would add that here too.

Friends?

Could they be a Band of Brothers:p

Sons of Anarchy is not excellent from beginning to end! Parts of it are a f**king travesty! "I'll steal your baby! etc etc". On balance, a good show though.

The Wire is excellent, but the first four episodes are hard work first time out because of all the street slang. Stick with it, and it's one of the best shows ever made.

Good point, I haven't watched the old ones in a while, forgot about that and Belfast!! The last series and current one are excellent though they do slow down in the middle episodes!! The Shield is by the same writer and is a very good series based loosely on a true story

I think I will give the Wire a go, if it is as good as people say

I see Colinjb has bigged up Babylon5. My advice to less nerdy types is to get on it if you have never seen it.

Has my 100% geek seal of approval, a bit of ropey acting at times, but equally, has some of the best performances I've ever seen too.

A planned 5 year series, it features plot lines that take SEASONS to pay off, but damn, what pay-offs.

I see Colinjb has bigged up Babylon5. My advice to less nerdy types is to get on it if you have never seen it.

Has my 100% geek seal of approval, a bit of ropey acting at times, but equally, has some of the best performances I've ever seen too.

A planned 5 year series, it features plot lines that take SEASONS to pay off, but damn, what pay-offs.

Oh, some of the acting is chronic in the first series. But yes, I'm am in the process of watching it all the way through and am now at the end of Series 3. 2 to go and I am watching it as quickly as possible in an effort to avoid the temptation to read spoilers as much as anything else... It just keeps getting better and better.

The biggest laugh came to me watching the show when the guy who played the 'Q' equivalent in the Austin Powers films showed up as a guy who believed he was King Arthur...

Edited by Colinjb

Good point, I haven't watched the old ones in a while, forgot about that and Belfast!! The last series and current one are excellent though they do slow down in the middle episodes!! The Shield is by the same writer and is a very good series based loosely on a true story

I think I will give the Wire a go, if it is as good as people say

I like both The Shield and Sons of Anarchy. A hallmark of both shows is that Kurt Sutter (creator) unnecessarily plumps for conflict over plausibility. Cool, you want to do a series in Northern Ireland? There are umpteen ways to do that which make sense!

The Shield was probably more authentic than SoA, but even that show kept spinning things out with a new crisis every week. All that tension got a little wearying.

The Wire is awesome. Much of that is inspired by real Baltimore people. David Simon, creator of that show, was a journalist at the Baltimore Sun, so you get a sense of place that feels unique.

One of the benfits of having young kids is watching the crap THEY like when they grow up.

My lad is currently hooked on iCarly, which normally I would hate (as with most yank sitcoms), however, this one has late teenage girlies in it (NOT of the Megan Summers type ok !)

And I'm not a Maths teacher at all .....................

It's VERY good viewing at times :-) :blush::D

The last series is a good one :-

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765595013/Jennette-McCurdy-gets-her-own-show-on-Nickelodeon.html

Am I THAT bad for liking it ? :scared::eek:

Hi Jimmy. ;)

Hang on, isn't that the little girl from School of Rock? (Above link..... yes, it's the actress Miranda Cosgrove.... aka the gobby, teacher's pet know it all from School of Rock)

OK...here is one for you...what US Shows from years gone by did you like

remember

Zac, Benji and the alien prince (or what ever it was)

my step dad is an Alien (i think) some show where a young kid used to talk to their dad who live on another planet....not too sure if that is the name

A-Team

Chips

Knight Rider

Baywatch

Hi Jimmy. ;)

Hang on, isn't that the little girl from School of Rock? (Above link..... yes, it's the actress Miranda Cosgrove.... aka the gobby, teacher's pet know it all from School of Rock)

Afternoon, just taking a break from recording to post ! Lol

Never seen School Of Rock myself, but I prefer Ms McCurdy anyway

http://www.justjaredjr.com/photo-gallery/491532/jennette-mccurdy-hawaii-holiday-01/

Ahem

:nod: :poundit:

I saw the American remake of Inbetweeners the other day. I probably wouldn't recommend it for the following reasons:

1) Jay looks Down's Syndrome

2) Bus VVankers is replaced by the less lols "Bus Turds"

3) In the american version they is not so much taking the p!ss out of each other, they is all like "I love you man"

4) Simon and Will look like male models for Abercrombie & Fitch

5) Neil is like a stoner rather than a stupids. His dad is still gay, but we is not seeing him. Possibly cos he is now starring in The Thick Of It

6) There is generally no lols. They is mostly doing the same scripts, there was only one where it was different and Will is accidently doing multiple Facebook status updates that just read "Charlotte Hinchcliffe. Charlotte Hinchcliffe. Charlotte Hinchcliffe. Charlotte Hinchcliffe." That was pretty lols actually she is like "You need to chill out!"

7) They is bleeping out most the swearing