West Ham - whats the difference

Thedelldays

What does it matter how many West Ham players people on here would choose to have over our players? This is the forum that had some thinking the Saints side of the lower leagues was better than England, so I'm personally not sure of many poster's objectivity when it comes to rating Saints players.

West Ham and Saints have each got a number of players that are of roughly similar qualities. Building a 22 man squad from both us and them would probably consist of roughly an even split. At the start of the season I had them down to stay up comfortably and be the highest placed promoted club; I don't see too much to change my opinion of that.

F*ck it, let's open it again Bear.

I'd definitely have Jaaskelainen, Collins and Jarvis in, and depending on the opposition could make a case for any of Diame, Nolan, Noble, J Cole, and Taylor. Other squad players such as Tomkins, O'Brien, Demel and Carroll.

So if you're saying that then obviously you'd rather have them over our reserves....the question was about 1st 11...

Its not that simple though, is it? We don't have a "first XI". Gaston is too erratic away from home to justify a starting slot. Lambert was "dropped" for the trip to Chelsea. Players like Taylor would IMO be a great option to have when playing away and trying to keep it tight in midfield. Its why I said that any first team choice would be dependent on who we were playing and where.

I'd definitely have Jaaskelainen, Collins and Jarvis in

Boruc is doing very well at the moment now he is being given a run of games, why so definite about a declining Jaaskelainen?

Collins? Really? He isn't anything special.

And why Jarvis over Lallana or Puncheon?

and depending on the opposition could make a case for any of Diame, Nolan, Noble, J Cole, and Taylor. Other squad players such as Tomkins, O'Brien, Demel and Carroll.

We are talking first XI here.

Would you really want Carroll over Lambert?

Cole over Lallana or Puncheon?

Taylor over Shaw or Lallana?

Demel over Clyne?

Diame, Nolan, Noble over Scheniederlin or Cork?

Tomkins over Yoshida, Fonte (and seemingly Forren)?

Can't say I'd agree with most of that. Nor do I think Adkins or Big Sam would given the choice.

Our players suit the way we play, WHU's suit the way they play. If their team tried to play like us, then they would be bottom IMO. If we tried to play like them, then we would struggle.

Can you see Collins and Reid knocking the ball about and into midfield and back out....no not a chance. Thats why it's hard to say whether you'd rather have our players than theirs. They have a bigger squad and more strength in depth, but i'd say our first 11 just about edges it and play football in a way that WHU can only dream of. I know who I'd rather pay 600 quid a year to watch!!

Boruc is doing very well at the moment now he is being given a run of games, why so definite about a declining Jaaskelainen?

Yes. This season I'd rather have Jaaseklainen than Boruc.

Collins? Really? He isn't anything special.

Yes, I'd rather have Collins over either of our centre backs. Ideally with Yoshida though.

And why Jarvis over Lallana or Puncheon?

Why? Because its my opinion. I think there's some games where he'd be a better option than Puncheon.

We are talking first XI here.

Would you really want Carroll over Lambert?

Cole over Lallana or Puncheon?

Taylor over Shaw or Lallana?

Demel over Clyne?

Diame, Nolan, Noble over Scheniederlin or Cork?

Tomkins over Yoshida, Fonte (and seemingly Forren)?

Can't say I'd agree with most of that. Nor do I think Adkins or Big Sam would given the choice.

I think you need to read that part again. I listed some of those as squad players, and that your simplistic "first XI" scenario isn't all that realistic, being as we don't actually have one. Our lineup changes depending who we play and where; the potential first team players I listed i could envisage using for certain games instead of some of our players (Davis yesterday for instance). And its probably best you don't speculate on what Adkins and Allardyce think.

Yes. This season I'd rather have Jaaseklainen than Boruc.

Yes, I'd rather have Collins over either of our centre backs. Ideally with Yoshida though.

Why? Because its my opinion. I think there's some games where he'd be a better option than Puncheon.

I think you need to read that part again. I listed some of those as squad players, and that your simplistic "first XI" scenario isn't all that realistic, being as we don't actually have one. Our lineup changes depending who we play and where; the potential first team players I listed i could envisage using for certain games instead of some of our players (Davis yesterday for instance). And its probably best you don't speculate on what Adkins and Allardyce think.

Unfirtunately for an intelligent chap his views are sooo polarised towards Saints and FM that you will always find yourself argueing anything that casts any form of shadow towards saint marys

Unfirtunately for an intelligent chap his views are sooo polarised towards Saints and FM that you will always find yourself argueing anything that casts any form of shadow towards saint marys

I'm sure there's some stats that will prove why I'm mistaken. Because football really is quite that simple.

If we were discussing some other Premier League teams then yes, I'd pick some of their players ahead of Saints players. We are discussing West Ham though, and I much prefer our squad to theirs.

last season they were (apparently) really really rubbish

play rubbish football with an utterly terrible manager

carroll is utter garbage and collins is a joke.

however, they are sitting nicely near the top end of the league with yet another win...4 points from 2 fixtures many saints fans would have written off completely....

they have hardly bought in worldys as players

what are they doing differently...what are they doing that is massively more successful than us..?

have we gotten THAT bad..? or have they gotten that much better than us..

crazy that in a few months, how things have changed..

Dunno if I've posted on this thread before but there were two differences - 1) Retaining players with Prem ability enabled them to get off to a good start, 2) they didn't have to play all the top sides in their first couple of months - though in hindsight that's worked in our favour as it meant we could get experience whilst not losing too many vital games (Wigan home aside). Now West Ham have played everyone once like we have, and have injuries (especially Maiga), there's not much in it, and we might even finish above them.

The choice between managers is really simple. Adkins over Fat Sam every day.

Why is it that simple? If you mean your opinion then fair enough, but not as a factual one or the other.

Won the league with Limerick, has the highest win % of any Blackpool manager, won promotion with Notts County (won the title by 19 points), got Bolton promoted, multiple top 10 finishes with Bolton in the PL including 6th and UEFA Cup qualification plus a cup success. Even his spells at Newcastle and Blackburn weren't as bad as was portrayed.

Saints fans would be more inclined to side with Adkins as manager. I wouldn't swap either for the other, to be honest. If we had BFS as manager I wouldn't be at all disappointed.

Why is it that simple? If you mean your opinion then fair enough, but not as a factual one or the other.

Won the league with Limerick, has the highest win % of any Blackpool manager, won promotion with Notts County (won the title by 19 points), got Bolton promoted, multiple top 10 finishes with Bolton in the PL including 6th and UEFA Cup qualification plus a cup success. Even his spells at Newcastle and Blackburn weren't as bad as was portrayed.

Saints fans would be more inclined to side with Adkins as manager. I wouldn't swap either for the other, to be honest. If we had BFS as manager I wouldn't be at all disappointed.

I wouldn't watch us if we had him as manager, if money is tight, why would I spend money to watch ****.

He is a crook though, isn't he? Are we allowed to say that on here?

Yeah, of course. There are no liability laws on this forum. It is hosted in the cayman islands.

Where is le god with the football manager stats? Surely that is a good scouting method and can show which players are better than others.

Yeah, of course. There are no liability laws on this forum. It is hosted in the cayman islands.

Where is le god with the football manager stats? Surely that is a good scouting method and can show which players are better than others.

FM is gospel. Some of the researchers have even got jobs as scouts as clubs don't you know. So accurate is it that MLG has been able to work out that Lambert is a striker and Clyne is a right back. Although he f*cked up with Jack Cork as he's played right back twice this season and he's only listened as a CM on FM. No scouting job for MLG!!

Wrong again Turks. Check out the pitch bit at the bottom, where there are green dots is where he can play. For example, MLG has him down as a left winger and we have all seen him play well out there.

But he's only got a 10 for Crossing and 11 for dribbling. Some winger. Tsk.

difference between us and West Ham right now..the 4 points that Gazza simply threw away by sheer incompetence, not having a bad game but just unexcusable professional errors. Think on it.

I haven't checked it on KUMB, but I'm quite sure they aren't too impressed with Jaaskelainen... could be wrong though, just a hunch...