The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

Next up for me is Johnny marr at Leess uni on the 13th October.

Saw him support the Stones back in June. Was actually quite enjoyable.

Good mix of his own stuff, with a few Smiths classics chucked in for good measure.

Guessing that was a typo, and you mean Leeds, is it in the refectory? I was a Leeds Uni student. Be prepared if it is refec - it gets seriously warm in there.

Saw him support the Stones back in June. Was actually quite enjoyable.

Good mix of his own stuff, with a few Smiths classics chucked in for good measure.

Guessing that was a typo, and you mean Leeds, is it in the refectory? I was a Leeds Uni student. Be prepared if it is refec - it gets seriously warm in there.

Next up for me is Johnny marr at Leess uni on the 13th October.

Saw him back in June.

Still an excellent guitarist, and whilst a lot of his own material was repetitive, it's mesmerising to watch him play.

As KRG says, if he plays some Smiths' tracks the place will really come alive.

So what did we think of The Wall gig last night at Wembley - I thought it was absolutely fecking stunning a complete feast for the senses, well done Roger

Totally agree - had to be one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Don't understand people filming it on their phones instead of watching it.

Went with my brother in law who was there at Earls Court in 1981 - said this time round was damned good but didn't quite have the same impact as the 1981 version on a young 16 year old.

Thought some of it was very moving - which I hadn't quite expected.

Hmmmm, Pete Doherty reminds me of a bit from Doug Stanhope's stand up shows.

Basically, he should have died. I used to try and defend him, or stand up for him. But now, he is frankly just embarrassing. Working for drug money.

It's a shame because there is some talent in there, but I fear it's just been destroyed by too much smack. I once saw Babyshambles at Brixton, and it has to be said they were great. But I also saw them in Manchester, and it was awful.

Hopefully, you get lucky and catch him on a good night.

To put the other side of the coin, this was the best gig I have ever been to and I have been to a fair few. Only real rock star left. He is looks like he has put on a few pounds and played fucking well. Don't think he is on the skag anymore. He did have a few beers though.

Working for drug money? - Brixton Academy was completely packed and it was announced just before the gig that Pete decide to give all the proceeds from the night to a local homeless charity. I am V. glad Pete isn't dead.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

Exactly, I met him once briefly and he seemed a decent humble guy. This interview was made in what July? He said he was smoking a lot less (its NME as well so worse than the sun) and he's made all of his tour dates, on time and given very good performances by all accounts. He could go either way but then again so could any of the greats.

Pete gets a lot of unneccesary press - there's tonnes of musicians shooting smack every day that go unannounced. Think it's unfair that he's got this awful image when he seems like a decent and talented bloke who's been dragged down by his addiction.

Pete? You talk like you and he are best mates. Are bet he's glad to have a fat, falied student call centre worker as a mate.

Anyway, yes I agree with what you're saying. Seen him live a few times and he's very good, a really talented guy and very intelligent. SAdly he's a smack head but so many genuinely talented people are flawed.

Pete? You talk like you and he are best mates. Are bet he's glad to have a fat, falied student call centre worker as a mate.

Anyway, yes I agree with what you're saying. Seen him live a few times and he's very good, a really talented guy and very intelligent. SAdly he's a smack head but so many genuinely talented people are flawed.

Must you always be such an arse? Plenty of people refer to him as pete.

Pete gets a lot of unneccesary press - there's tonnes of musicians shooting smack every day that go unannounced. Think it's unfair that he's got this awful image when he seems like a decent and talented bloke who's been dragged down by his addiction.

Thing is, he really does court all the press. And for all the stuff that gets out, there is plenty that doesn't.

Exactly, I met him once briefly and he seemed a decent humble guy. This interview was made in what July? He said he was smoking a lot less (its NME as well so worse than the sun) and he's made all of his tour dates, on time and given very good performances by all accounts. He could go either way but then again so could any of the greats.

See I met him brielfy too, outside The Hawley Arms in Camden, he asked for a fag I told him I didn't have any so he spat on me.

Maybe part of it is my fault, as a teen I basically worshipped The Libertines, which was always going to end badly.

Part of my frustration is that he is so talented, by also such a let down. As I said I saw 'Shambles at Brixton and it was great, and The Libs reunion show at The Forum was incredible. But for that, there was his solo gig where he turned up 2 hours late and could barely stand, open his eyes, or speak. Or the gig in Manchester, where I trekked across from Leeds, for him to pull out 10 minutes before stage time due to 'illness', which turned out to be a massive load of smack.

What did you do when he spat at you?

Not alot, it was one of those surreal "did that really just happen" kind of moments.

Plus there was a fair few people with him (mostly skag head looking types) and just the two of us. He did look completely out of it to be fair. But, still not exactly nice. Also shatters the illusion of your hero a bit.

Definitely! Sounds out of character though. I think that may be one of his major issues, changing character and doing stupid things on impulse. This is why Carl had it with him.

Did you watch 'there are no innocent bystanders' doc on the reunion gig at Reading festival? Eye opener into how the band operates. Pete starts off keen with good intentions and then after a couple of days, gets distracted and loses interest. Despite all that, he is the obvious talent in the group and the rest (including Carl) are clinging to his skag addict coat tails.

Definitely! Sounds out of character though. I think that may be one of his major issues, changing character and doing stupid things on impulse. This is why Carl had it with him.

Did you watch 'there are no innocent bystanders' doc on the reunion gig at Reading festival? Eye opener into how the band operates. Pete starts off keen with good intentions and then after a couple of days, gets distracted and loses interest. Despite all that, he is the obvious talent in the group and the rest (including Carl) are clinging to his skag addict coat tails.

I did yeah, it is an interesting dynamic.

The thing is, musically, Carl is the more talented one. He taught Pete to play guitar - hence the "teach me how to play guitar" lyric in Can't Stand Me Now, but yeah as a songwriter/general rockstar Pete is streets ahead. Probably part of the reason The Libs will always be better than either of the side projects.

Love you too babes x

Must you always be such an arse? Plenty of people refer to him as pete.

Thing is, he really does court all the press. And for all the stuff that gets out, there is plenty that doesn't.

See I met him brielfy too, outside The Hawley Arms in Camden, he asked for a fag I told him I didn't have any so he spat on me.

Maybe part of it is my fault, as a teen I basically worshipped The Libertines, which was always going to end badly.

Part of my frustration is that he is so talented, by also such a let down. As I said I saw 'Shambles at Brixton and it was great, and The Libs reunion show at The Forum was incredible. But for that, there was his solo gig where he turned up 2 hours late and could barely stand, open his eyes, or speak. Or the gig in Manchester, where I trekked across from Leeds, for him to pull out 10 minutes before stage time due to 'illness', which turned out to be a massive load of smack.

Keep your Hooter out of mine and mikes special relationship.

It's Arthurs Day! Woo hoo!

What's that you all cry? Well it's a 2 day festival in honour of the Genius (apparently) or Guinness.

REALLY looking forward to seeing Ian Broudie doing a Lightning Seeds Unplugged set tonight as we kick off our concert season

Was surfing You Tube to give Mrs D_P a ribbing about not knowing the words to 3 Lions and just hit their play list.

Which brought all their songs flooding back. Hell of a lot of great tunes back in the day.

May be a bit slurry on the review though - Half Price Back stuff this evening :rolleyes:

It's Arthurs Day! Woo hoo!

What's that you all cry? Well it's a 2 day festival in honour of the Genius (apparently) or Guinness.

REALLY looking forward to seeing Ian Broudie doing a Lightning Seeds Unplugged set tonight as we kick off our concert season

Was surfing You Tube to give Mrs D_P a ribbing about not knowing the words to 3 Lions and just hit their play list.

Which brought all their songs flooding back. Hell of a lot of great tunes back in the day.

May be a bit slurry on the review though - Half Price Back stuff this evening :rolleyes:

I saw The Lightning Seeds at Glasto a few years ago. It was really great fun, you're in for a good'un!

Sooooooooooooo, Fleetwood Mac t'other night.

What can I say? They really have still got it, in spades.

Lindsey Buckingham is still incredible, I swear his fingers are plectrums. Big Love was stunning.

Landslide was beautiful, I definitely was nowhere near tears. Absolutely not, honest.

And all the other classics were brilliant, The Chain, Don't Stop, Never Going Back, Tusk, and Go Your Own Way - WOW!

Even the new track Sad Angel was really good.

ONLY downer, was the boring fu©knut$ that moaned at me for standing up and dancing during the 2nd song (The Chain FFS!!!!) - probably lucky to not get punched when I said to the woman rather aggressively screaming and trying to push me into my seat "Calm down Billy Idol" (she had very short spiky blonde hair), at which point her fella told me turn around and leave them alone - as if I had engaged them in the first place! Why would you pay the best part of £100 to sit down and moan and people dancing at a Fleetwood Mac gig - especially during The Chain?! There really are some idiots out there. Especially seeing as way over 3/4s of the arena were standing at their seats.

Rant over, and it's not really the bands fault, just a bit annoying. I stood up and danced the whole show anyway.

I saw The Lightning Seeds at Glasto a few years ago. It was really great fun, you're in for a good'un!

Ugh. Half Price Guinness. Bad idea.

OK so TINY set up in front of the stage in the Garden of the legend that is Dubai's Irish Village. Luckily Will I Am and Timba-lake were doing a DJ set on the other side of town so think it is safe to say there were only a few WAGS in the crowd under the age of 35. Place was absolutely rammed. We were standing just by the main entrance into the pub and were still only about 60m from the stage which is rare in these days of VIP or Golden Circles.

Toploader came on first - OMG they last played here 12 years ago, how time flies, I recalled that their gig then was only memorable for the fact they were on a flight back to UK with me the next afternoon all rammed into economy class and I chatted to one of them while the band queued to get their instruments off the baggage reclaim carousel (wow they must have been huge taking their own kit in their luggage allowance!)

So have to say they are a Top band... :rolleyes:. Kind of like watching a clone of Simply Red who only play SR's obscure album tracks. All in all their set proved a gentle soothing backdrop to the 40 minutes of aggressive elbowing and knees in groin that was required to queue up for a beer. FFS I only got to see one song!

Summary? Girlies wobbled gently from side to side in time to the music and some people clapped when they played their TV Advert. Honestly well worth seeing in a local pub for a tenner..... (which co-incidentally was what we were doing)

Lightning Seeds Unplugged. Well, I reckon it was a really clever set. Broudie probably played 5 or 6 tracks on his own with just his (Electric) guitar and had another Guitarist and a Drummer (with cut down Drum Kit) join in on the rest.

What a great range of songs they have, and a great nay influential sound.

The TROUBLE was that it was the kind of gig that would be Legendary if played in the afternoon at the Park at Glasto or in an intimate venue where you can sit and listen to the quality of the musicianship on display. It REALLY did not work so well in front of a crowd of 5,000 wanting to get rat-arsed ex-pats who were having to stand 10 deep at the bars to try and get a beer. The format made their music something to really listen to not PARTY to, so it meant that for many the band were simply elevator music while they bumped into old friends they had not seen for 10 years; or as a backdrop while some of the (let's be honest) more elderly single ladies in the crowd tried with increasing desperation to get laid. (Christ there was one there dressed like JLo who was actually a spitting image of Stephen Tyler FFS) WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WOMAN!

The encore summed up the evening really. 3 Lions, just Ian & his guitar and a slow dawning by the rest of the crowd that they could sing along. Ruined by a 40 year old "look at me moron Paddy" who thought it would be a good time to curl his face into a rancid spitting fury, raise his hand in the air and sing some obscene IRA anthem at the top of his voice - which his 5 mates seemed to think was funny.

It is VERY rare that I get into a position where my right arm is pulling itself back into position for a Windmilling Right Hook. Luckily I was beaten to it by - of all things - an African Security Guard/Bouncer. Kind of made the night! He went down faster than Pompey complete with Red & White stripes around his nose as he lifted his face from the floor.

I thought the band were bloody marvellous and again, that set, in the right venue, with an audience of fans would be Pure Gold. I'm sure they will have that format on some tour this year, it would work in the Mayflower or a Stadium but in an intimate Music Pub/Club? Wow.

And yes, hangover from hell this morning - caused by the fact that anyone who ACTUALLY got to the bar bought about 4 beers for each of the gang every time.

Oh and one more thing, after 4 months of obscene heat and humidity, last night the weather here FINALLY changed and it was down to about 34C with a wonderful dry breeze. Winter has arrived and our gig season is finally back!

Next up Of Monsters & Men & The Killers on the beach. Sandance have a brand new bigger stage for this season and have tweaked the layout so that now they can get 15,000 people into a 30 metre wide stretch of beach.

Can't wait to see if Eric gets Twerked on again!

Edited by dubai_phil

Ugh. Half Price Guinness. Bad idea.

OK so TINY set up in front of the stage in the Garden of the legend that is Dubai's Irish Village. Luckily Will I Am and Timba-lake were doing a DJ set on the other side of town so think it is safe to say there were only a few WAGS in the crowd under the age of 35. Place was absolutely rammed. We were standing just by the main entrance into the pub and were still only about 60m from the stage which is rare in these days of VIP or Golden Circles.

Toploader came on first - OMG they last played here 12 years ago, how time flies, I recalled that their gig then was only memorable for the fact they were on a flight back to UK with me the next afternoon all rammed into economy class and I chatted to one of them while the band queued to get their instruments off the baggage reclaim carousel (wow they must have been huge taking their own kit in their luggage allowance!)

So have to say they are a Top band... :rolleyes:. Kind of like watching a clone of Simply Red who only play SR's obscure album tracks. All in all their set proved a gentle soothing backdrop to the 40 minutes of aggressive elbowing and knees in groin that was required to queue up for a beer. FFS I only got to see one song!

Summary? Girlies wobbled gently from side to side in time to the music and some people clapped when they played their TV Advert. Honestly well worth seeing in a local pub for a tenner..... (which co-incidentally was what we were doing)

Lightning Seeds Unplugged. Well, I reckon it was a really clever set. Broudie probably played 5 or 6 tracks on his own with just his (Electric) guitar and had another Guitarist and a Drummer (with cut down Drum Kit) join in on the rest.

What a great range of songs they have, and a great nay influential sound.

The TROUBLE was that it was the kind of gig that would be Legendary if played in the afternoon at the Park at Glasto or in an intimate venue where you can sit and listen to the quality of the musicianship on display. It REALLY did not work so well in front of a crowd of 5,000 wanting to get rat-arsed ex-pats who were having to stand 10 deep at the bars to try and get a beer. The format made their music something to really listen to not PARTY to, so it meant that for many the band were simply elevator music while they bumped into old friends they had not seen for 10 years; or as a backdrop while some of the (let's be honest) more elderly single ladies in the crowd tried with increasing desperation to get laid. (Christ there was one there dressed like JLo who was actually a spitting image of Stephen Tyler FFS) WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WOMAN!

The encore summed up the evening really. 3 Lions, just Ian & his guitar and a slow dawning by the rest of the crowd that they could sing along. Ruined by a 40 year old "look at me moron Paddy" who thought it would be a good time to curl his face into a rancid spitting fury, raise his hand in the air and sing some obscene IRA anthem at the top of his voice - which his 5 mates seemed to think was funny.

It is VERY rare that I get into a position where my right arm is pulling itself back into position for a Windmilling Right Hook. Luckily I was beaten to it by - of all things - an African Security Guard/Bouncer. Kind of made the night! He went down faster than Pompey complete with Red & White stripes around his nose as he lifted his face from the floor.

I thought the band were bloody marvellous and again, that set, in the right venue, with an audience of fans would be Pure Gold. I'm sure they will have that format on some tour this year, it would work in the Mayflower or a Stadium but in an intimate Music Pub/Club? Wow.

And yes, hangover from hell this morning - caused by the fact that anyone who ACTUALLY got to the bar bought about 4 beers for each of the gang every time.

Oh and one more thing, after 4 months of obscene heat and humidity, last night the weather here FINALLY changed and it was down to about 34C with a wonderful dry breeze. Winter has arrived and our gig season is finally back!

Next up Of Monsters & Men & The Killers on the beach. Sandance have a brand new bigger stage for this season and have tweaked the layout so that now they can get 15,000 people into a 30 metre wide stretch of beach.

Can't wait to see if Eric gets Twerked on again!

I noticed this during my short trip to Dubai earlier this year.

Why is it of all the things they have done so well, they cannot manage service? We went every as a company - meaning there was pretty much always a 500 strong group. Yet everywhere we went (obviously we had booked way in advance) would have 1/2 people serving the entire group. Absolute pain in the rear.

I noticed this during my short trip to Dubai earlier this year.

Why is it of all the things they have done so well, they cannot manage service? We went every as a company - meaning there was pretty much always a 500 strong group. Yet everywhere we went (obviously we had booked way in advance) would have 1/2 people serving the entire group. Absolute pain in the rear.

Strange that it happened at the IV. They are normally very good. They had some construction going on so some of the outdoor area was unavailable, but they really needed a couple more service areas.

Same happens at gigs here, only Sandance seem to understand that the more overpriced booze they sell the more money they can make, most gigs bring in caterers who bring in the cheapest lowest cost they can find and the fewest. Absolutely stupid.

Main problem is inflexible labour laws unfortunately

(See Qatar Slave Labour thread in lounge for long explanation but it's against the law here to "moonlight" so even if people wanted to do a temp bar job for a few quid they cannot without a visa & labour card blah blah blah)

So, our first Sandance of the Season out at Atlantis was Eagerly Awaited in Chez D_P.

Eric & Damascus Saint came round for a Full Roast Beef Lunch. The PROBLEM as at all Sandance gigs is that the Stage is at the front of the beach and the toilets are 100+ Yards away at the back with 14,000 bladdered people squished into a strip of sand about 75 yards wide.... So we stocked up on Honey Vodka's & Margherita's to reduce the nightmare of the trip to the bogs.

We got there early (traffic jam around 7pm meant one hour queues to get in!) but we actually wanted to see The Wailers.

And wow they put together a great set of all Bob Marley's classics. Very unusual for a warm-up band playing at Sunset to get the entire crowd dancing & singing along! Yes OK there were still two Original Wailers members in the band and Yes it was kinda like watching a Cover Band but they really were great. Definite Buzz in the crowd once they finished.

Then Of Monsters & Men. I'd been looking forward to them. And was actually disappointed. Their Vocals really are not very powerful (in an XFactor Judge kind of way). They were also strangely just "kind of on the stage". There was no great LIFE from them. Sure they play well, they have a great sound but they were well, kind of Icelandic I guess, so they went from a looking forward to, to being backing for a trip to the loo & Bar.

The Wailers had been just about worth the 45 quid ticket, IF I had paid that only to see Of Monsters I would have felt ripped off.

Which brings us to the reason we were there. Brandon & The Killers. They've long been a favourite band of mine, and we saw them down in Abu Dhabi 3 Years ago. Back then we really enjoyed the gig, but had been only whelmed by their Stage Presence and "Banter"

357pun4.jpg

This time. KAPOW.

They slinked on stage with a gentle wave and from the first chord the place went nuts. No nonsense, no build up, wham, straight into Mr Brightside. Bloody Hell lost our voices on the first song - THAT never happens.

From that moment the energy on stage and in the crowd never dropped, their new stuff sounded so much more powerful live, Somebody Told Me & Human were part of their main set not kept until the end and Brandon TOTALLY interacted with the crowd - such a change in him from Abu Dhabi - almost as if he is now confident as a front man? or maybe he felt he could get away with more in Dubai?

A 90 minute set of wobbling, pogo-ing (at our age FFS) and singing. Hell, there was so much going on that I didn't even TRY to use my point & shoot Video at a gig for the first time ever!

The lads have certainly turned themselves into a band who are REALLY worth seeing live. So glad that we arrived early and were dead in the centre of a crazy "Mosh Pit" (really?) (Think poor old Eric led the Pogo-ing in an attempt to see the stage)

They still need to create one or two more new "Classic" hits, but they have grown up into a proper Stadium Band.

Kind of sad really as I honestly do not think Sandance will be able to beat them. We've had some great nights there, singing along to Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs, Travis, Florence et al. The Killers was just a level of "Gone man, solid gone" above them....

And at the end of it all I found myself totally lost in the middle of The Marina Dubai, with a Dead Phone and no sign of Mrs D_P & Damascus Saint, even MORE strange I turned a corner & found myself at Barasti, the Beach Bar we use for Dubai Saints games, in time to get (another) beer just as England kicked off the second half.

Meanwhile a panicking wife was calling out Search & Rescue for me back at the Venue.... Oooh I copped some flak for that

No idea how we got lost, finishing off a brilliant night rushing to see if SRL got on to play for England was never a thought that crossed my mind. :rolleyes:

Saw Sebadoh tonight on the first date of their European tour in Manchester. Only 100 or so people in attendance. As unrehearsed (there words) and apologetic gigs go it was bloody brilliant. They somehow still manage to get it together at just the right moments to play that immense indie rock!!

10/10 Catch them on tour over next week or two if you can :)

OK Rihanna last night. Are you lot ready for THE BIG NEWS?

Her Bewbs are like TINY :o I mean in all the proper pics I've seen of her they were like perfectly formed but oh no, she was wearing a tight white vest and it was like hot and humid and without any Infrastructure they are just on the disappointing side of less than normal.

Heartbreak.

First hour of the show was, in honesty, pants. She slipped in a couple of hits and had dancers and good musicians and stuff but seems in her new stuff she cannot decide whether she is a heavy Hip Hop artist or trying to become a singer with a heavy metal rock band. Was kind of just meh.

After an hour we decided the scores were

Britney 0 Rihanna 1

(last minute own goal saved by the fact that Rhi (to my surprise) was actually singing not miming (a la Britney)

J Lo 3 Rihanna 0

The Killers 12 All female stars 0

BUT then she did a final half hour of her old classics, did them bloody well and here was when we could truly see she was into it, she really was singing (no mime artist cracks up in songs)

Hell, when she sang Stay she actually did CRY (and she wasn't picking nasal hairs to do it)

So at least we came away happy that it had been better than a night on Bullfrogs & Karaoke (which had been plan B for my Birthday)

So, IF any of you get dragged along by kids as she wanders round the world, stick yourself in the bar for the first 55 minutes or so, then get in and sing your face off for the last 35 minutes.

SOOOOOOOOO disappointed by the Bewbs though