The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

"Hello. Mr Philip? I am calling from TimeOut Magazine. Yes the competition you entered for the Jazz Festival? I have good news, congratulations, you have won two VIP tickets with full hospitality to the biggest show of the event."

Oh great, is that for this Friday? 3 Doors Down?

"Oh no Sir, it is the very big concert NEXT Friday for the band from Irishland, The Script."

Oh but what about 3 Doors Down?

"Oh no Sir they were the 3rd Prize, you won the first prize."

Can I swap?

"No Sir we already called the not so important winners"

Oh sh1t

"Pardon Sir"

Oh sweet, I trust they have Complimentary Alcohol in VIP?

"Yes Sir including Champagne"

Oh fine, thanks, that will help

"You need help Sir?"

No great, where do I collect the tickets from?

"We will send Limosuine sir"

Does it have sick bags?

"Pardon?"

Does it have my address?

"Oh yes Sir we have Google"

So Stone Roses Thursday & free booze Friday. Could be worse.

"Hello. Mr Philip? I am calling from TimeOut Magazine. Yes the competition you entered for the Jazz Festival? I have good news, congratulations, you have won two VIP tickets with full hospitality to the biggest show of the event."

Oh great, is that for this Friday? 3 Doors Down?

"Oh no Sir, it is the very big concert NEXT Friday for the band from Irishland, The Script."

Oh but what about 3 Doors Down?

"Oh no Sir they were the 3rd Prize, you won the first prize."

Can I swap?

"No Sir we already called the not so important winners"

Oh sh1t

"Pardon Sir"

Oh sweet, I trust they have Complimentary Alcohol in VIP?

"Yes Sir including Champagne"

Oh fine, thanks, that will help

"You need help Sir?"

No great, where do I collect the tickets from?

"We will send Limosuine sir"

Does it have sick bags?

"Pardon?"

Does it have my address?

"Oh yes Sir we have Google"

So Stone Roses Thursday & free booze Friday. Could be worse.

:lol:

OK so a review.

Ian Brown has lost it. Sorry.

Look, I so was up for the gig last night, but there were times when he totally sounded like me doing a SR cover at Karaoke.

Moments when the band went off and played Gawd knows what times when they missed endings.

No wonder they got back for a World Tour, a Pension Plan top up.

We've voted it a GOOD gig. Which rates it alongside Santana & Kylie. It wasn't what I hoped for - a Life Changing Rolling Stones in Concert gig.

Maybe they ARE all getting old. FFS Liam Gallagher was 20 feet from us - WITH HIS KIDS!

Maybe they did hit every note in the UK, maybe the hype missed it.

We ENJOYED the gig, it was worth the money. Perhaps I had hoped for a magic moment. I got some really good moments.

They had around 8,500 people at the Gig. A bunch of Pensioners (Deep Purple) had 9,000. The vote for best gig of the night is unanimous & it ain't the Roses

So, over to The Script tonight. Perhaps IF they really nail it that would be a fitting IF sad epitaph.

Updates tomorrow....

I just want to point out that the above review was in no way influenced by paying NINE POUNDS for a half pint of flat beer after queuing for 30 minutes

Ouch.

Sorry to hear it didn't match expectations.

As I've said previously I saw them last summer and thought it was amazing.

Maybe it was sheer excitement at seeing a band I never thought I'd see, maybe it was all the booze and smoking I had done (it was V, I went for the day, and had to occupy myself whilst Keane, Example, Emeli Sande etc were playing), or perhaps last night was an off night. No idea.

Out of interest, would you mind me asking if you saw them 'first time round', as it were?

Regards the Stone Roses, I saw them at Optimus Alive festival in Lisbon last summer. Like you Kelvin I was full of anticipation because I never thought I would get to see them live, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, Ian Brown can't sing, and at times he was so badly out of key you had to wonder how he ever became a singer in the first place. But the thing is, being a not-very-good singer never held him back before, and in fact his raw, unpolished voice was a major part of what made the Roses' sound so unique in the first place.

As for the rest of the band - it was as if they had never split. They jammed for about 5 minutes after almost every track while Ian waved his maraccas and hyped up the crowd, and you could sense the chemistry between them. It really was a special thing to experience.

Now my anticipation is all about another gig I am going to at Manchester Apollo next weekend - a band that I also never expected I would get to see live, not because they had split up years ago like the Stone Roses, but because they very rarely play in the UK: the mighty, majestic, awe-inspiring Sigur Ros.

Regards the Stone Roses, I saw them at Optimus Alive festival in Lisbon last summer. Like you Kelvin I was full of anticipation because I never thought I would get to see them live, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, Ian Brown can't sing, and at times he was so badly out of key you had to wonder how he ever became a singer in the first place. But the thing is, being a not-very-good singer never held him back before, and in fact his raw, unpolished voice was a major part of what made the Roses' sound so unique in the first place.

As for the rest of the band - it was as if they had never split. They jammed for about 5 minutes after almost every track while Ian waved his maraccas and hyped up the crowd, and you could sense the chemistry between them. It really was a special thing to experience.

Now my anticipation is all about another gig I am going to at Manchester Apollo next weekend - a band that I also never expected I would get to see live, not because they had split up years ago like the Stone Roses, but because they very rarely play in the UK: the mighty, majestic, awe-inspiring Sigur Ros.

Totally agree with that, it is what happened and there were a lot of hugs going on at the end.

When I said it was a Good gig, I meant exactly that. It was good. As for watching the "Chemistry" amazingly (at our age) we found ourselves dead centre 15 feet from the stage!

Perhaps I was expecting more though, hence why I was disappointed. More in a "magical moment in my gig going life" in the way that Springsteen always manages to do, Queen at the Ally Pally back in the Bicycle Race tour days, or The Rolling Stones did in Budapest, or even, in the way that a bunch of old men who sat on stools for two hours managed (The Eagles) (high up in band I never thought I would see category and WOW) or the OMG moment of Leonard Cohen at Glastonbury, and MOST strangely, Howard Jones unplugged in a pub here one night.

So if you like my Good Gig description contains Kings of Leon, Santana, Kylie, Bryan Adams, Queen with Paul thingy, Jools Holland. I think expected more.

So, they weren't as good as Slash two weeks ago (mind you they did roll out Alice Cooper for a number)

And, (now this one hurts because there is NO WAY it should have happened), they weren't as good as the gig last night - The Script.

They absolutely smashed it :eek:

And no KRG I never saw them 1st time round, the whole Britpop/Madchester thing kinda missed me with moving here, and thanks to the poor American Styled local radio we had in those days we never really got into "Indie" until about the turn of he Century. It was stuff you would hear when back in the UK driving.

The gig WAS unusual in that it was around 90% Brits AND it did not sell out. (Deep Purple sold more tickets FFS but then their audience is far more multinational)

It was exactly the same for Muse, they came here in 2005 just after they played 3 nights at Wembley as part of a Two Day Rock Festival (without being allowed to stay overnight of course). Velvet Revolver were penultimate band on stage and because of Slash had around 8,000 people. By the time Muse came on that number was down to around 4,000.

Now, that was a GREAT gig.

The Script

Oh dear. Look I caught them at Glasto couple of years ago sandwiched between Jason Mraz & Glasvegas. It was easier to stay sipping Brothers and listen than to move for an hour. They filled the hour painlessly and made some jokes about the shock of their "success", but they had no real stage presence.

Fast forward to last night, it's a freebie pair of Corporate Tickets I won and Boo no free Champers BUT free Heineken in a "Lounge" a good 100 yards from the stage.

Big crowd, again over 12,000 and the lads came out and did their slushy Pop. They come on stage and Danny D is straight down and into the crowd. OK that doesn't happen here, he passes the mike around getting the audience to sing along while posing for pics with the chicks.

That kind of set the scene. Straight away the level of banter with the audience was WAY in advance of other bands down here (Mainly because so many bands are scared to say anything in case they "cause offence" and often because they don't know the type of audience they would get here)

Great energy on stage, great interaction and banter between the band and, maybe it was the Will I am influence but their music has got better, we could almost wobble dance to some of it :blush: (well it was free beer)

They had some huge sing-along moments - FFS even I hit the high notes in Falling to Pieces, I think half the crowd cried during The man who can't be moved.

Then HUGE SHOCK - the lads started necking bottles of Heineken on stage - I mean like WTF? That is Sooooooo totally ILLEGAL over here. In 19 years of Gig going that is THE big taboo (The band are probably in Jail this morning!) but again it was all part of a banter with the crowd and it WAS a funny moment. (To compare in the UK it would be the equivalent of smoking a joint on stage - ala Keith Rich in Budapest!)

For their penultimate song Danny gave this long speech about breaking up and ex's (yawn) but then leap down into the audience again asking if anyone could call their Ex - some chick did and he takes the phone on stage and sings the song to him.... Nice one

They did their own raps for their Will I am stuff and everyone headed off to fight for taxis with smiles on their faces.

Those leaving the Roses didn't have those smiles.....

DAMN, I hate myself for this, but as a gig, they knocked 7 bales of sh1t out of the Roses. That is so unexpected.

p.s the free beer in no way influenced that review. We had plenty before & during the Roses as well :rolleyes:

Edited by dubai_phil

I think the Stone Roses fall into the same category as Oasis, great events but not really up to much as a pure music experience.

Will have the chance to (nearly) compare in a few weeks.

Noel Gallagher & his band are doing our Friday Beach Party mayhem backed up by an acoustic set from Richard Ashcroft at Sandance.

Dubai can be pretty sh1t in the summer but for gigs these past few weeks have been awesome.

Like you said, I never thought I'd get to see them live... "I have no desire whatsoever to desecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group The Stone Roses 18.3.09" and all that.

We waited for a good 6 hours to get a good spot down the front for the Heaton Park gigs last year. Down the front, a matter of yards from your heroes, with the weight of 70,000 people behind you, you don't notice missed notes or off key singing! They were superb. Thought it was an amazing gig and an amazing experience.

Two more weeks to go of crazy season down here then back to normality.

So, last night. Late decision to go, 80's Rewind with T'Pau, Heaven 17, ABC, Howard Jones & Rick Astley. Apparently a tour building up to a festival in Henley in the summer.

Advertised as a 9pm start we arrived at 8:30 to here T'Pau singing their one song as we entered - grumble groan meh well at least we heard their one song.

So how to describe the evening? (Bearsy would have loved the crowd - about 60% were drunk single older b1tches all dressed in their finest, thousands of them - yuk.) How the hell can anyone compare a gig like this to a Stone Roses gig?

Think the answer is you can't. I enjoyed the SR and am glad I saw them. Last night was something totally different, the best description is that EVERYONE got "The Joke".

The bands were playing corny 80's cheese that had no great impact on the world of Music. They played songs (in the main) that nobody is ever going to cover in a Pub band. Let's face it their stuff was pretty rubbish when it was written (mainly by Stock Aitken & Waterman's Sinclair Spectrum PC I expect)

And that was the point. This wasn't creative, or earth shattering, this was something to go to having had a decent warm up session, to sing like an idiot and dance like Dads.

Musically Heaven 17 did an excellent rework of Temptation with an intro from a chick called Kelly that went all modern clubby remix and wailing, he looked old and bald. Martin Fry with his greying temples was backed by a full band and we sang every song, Howard Jones still nailed it, bit chunkier than when he wore all that Spandex.

And then Rick.

OK so he actually did have more than one hit, (bit shocked that he could fill a 30/40 minute set with songs we knew).

Tthe bloke hasn't changed a bit, still looks like TinTin (how does he keep his hair?) and the thing was, he got the joke as well. He took the p1ss out of himself as well as the swooning drunk old b1tches.

And for the first time in ages (knowing there would be the usual nightmare getting a Taxi) we HAD to stay for the last song....

On the way out I noticed a very different reaction to SR - everybody was smiling, or still singing. It makes no sense, 8,000 people left a gig HAPPY. Not "happy I saw XYZ" not talking about one moment in a Jam revisit of an old album track, but having been in some 3 hour Twilight Zone

It can't only have been about Old Farts reliving happier times, not just "old memories (hell there were LOADS of teens & 20 somethings there as well.

How could such Tosh music and cringeworthy bands evoke such a reaction?

Simple. Beer was half the price of the Roses gig & the queue took about 4 minutes. :p

IF the tour comes your way, drop the pretentions, get a skinful down your neck before heading to the venue and treat it as a Musical Comedy show.

Bloody loved it.

But a gig? Nah it was 8,000 people having a ridiculous karaoke night. Think a Festival would be just insane...

Wowzer! What can I say? Absolutely superb gig - totally mesmerised from start to finish. I might just have to get tickets for their Jodrell Bank gig later in the year as well now.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, enough of all the noncy get shredded gigs.

Tomorrow is one where all this talk of getting older, is bringing me down my love.

Richard Ashcroft Acoustic Set. Having seen The Verve do the full on Glasto Headline I am Sooooooo up for this tomorrow, seeing the classics just sung.

Right, enough of all the noncy get shredded gigs.

Tomorrow is one where all this talk of getting older, is bringing me down my love.

Richard Ashcroft Acoustic Set. Having seen The Verve do the full on Glasto Headline I am Sooooooo up for this tomorrow, seeing the classics just sung.

I too was at that Glasto headline set (well if it was '08, have they headlined before?), not that I can remember much of it :?

Also saw him at Hop Farm last year, was kinda weird as was watching the Euro finals on a big Screen whilst he was also playing. He sounded good, though I never really was a huge Verve fan if I am honest.

Pretty much bankrupted myself with gigs the past few weeks.

Booked to go see HAIM @ Koko in May. Peace in April. Then 3 of the Somerset House Summer Series (all of which look really good!), My boy Richard Hawley, Jessie Ware (I like her, but really for the GF who loves her, I drag her to enough gigs so seems fair) and then Edward Sharpe, gutted I'm away for Basement Jaxx, such great performers!

I too was at that Glasto headline set (well if it was '08, have they headlined before?), not that I can remember much of it :?

Also saw him at Hop Farm last year, was kinda weird as was watching the Euro finals on a big Screen whilst he was also playing. He sounded good, though I never really was a huge Verve fan if I am honest.

Pretty much bankrupted myself with gigs the past few weeks.

Booked to go see HAIM @ Koko in May. Peace in April. Then 3 of the Somerset House Summer Series (all of which look really good!), My boy Richard Hawley, Jessie Ware (I like her, but really for the GF who loves her, I drag her to enough gigs so seems fair) and then Edward Sharpe, gutted I'm away for Basement Jaxx, such great performers!

Wow, you got some busy weeks ahead. Luckily it all goes teenybop here now so can rest up (Bruno Mars & Bieber ain't on my radar!)

So Ashcroft unplugged?

They had some dumb bear rule that no cans or bottles were allowed near the stage - so we finished our tinnies and got past the checkpoint to find? A bar selling pints in plastic glasses Wooo (Like I needed any more!) And woosh for the 1st time since about 1978 I found ourselves dead centre and like 0 people back from the stage.

He had two mikes set up (one obviously with loads of reverb & computers & one normal, wore his dopey hat (but DID take his shades off half way through, and played his guitar.

Wonderfully, Stunningly, Stupendously.

Here was a Singer Songwriter geezer with a guitar just playing his music, with such a tone in his voice and passion and emotion. All the album was there, he tried a new song and said this is sh1t it ain't working so stopped. He came up to the crowd asked us what we wanted to hear next, and simply held 8,000 people in the palm of his hand for a magical hour.

Lucky man got the sing a long going, The Drugs don't work made every hair stand up and Bittersweet Symphony? Christ they must have heard us in Abu Dhabi.

He isn't worth seeing on his own, he had his magical songwriting moments all those years ago, but tonight for an hour, truly one of the best Musical moments me or FMDP have had (apart from The Eagles last year of course).

Noel Gallagher was then 30 mins late (Are you Bieber in Disguise didn't go down too well).

He played his new stuff, couldn't be arsed to interact with the audience at all and murdered Wonderwall by doing a not really unplugged mess around with the melody in the middle of it all.

OK so he sounds Oasis"ish" maybe because of the drums more than his weak vocals, but he was as much a let down as Ashcroft was a success.

To use an American Idolism, Ashcroft knocked it outta the park tonight. Noel? Dude, you gotta work on your song choices...

Pics 2mro got some crackers

Oh, just a point. Discussed at length with all the lads crammed on the bus outta the gig

I was disappointed with The Stone Roses. It was a good gig BUT I thought it would be a once in a lifetime moment, instead it was a good night out.

Most of the lads felt the same about it. Enjoyed it, glad they went and would go again.

However, EVERYONE of them agreed that tonight they got that "Moment" from Ashcroft.

He's getting a band together and touring properly next year with a new album he's working on.

He said he's coming back here, on his way round the World, but somehow, I wonder if it will be the same?

Recently saw Liairs supported by the amazing Haxan Cloak and saw Savages (best band to come out of the uk in years) supported by the dreadful Palma Violets

Just got back from seeing Peter Hook and The Light at the Brook who were surprisingly superb. I was worried there would be a touch of parody about them.Incredible turn out of faces from the late 70,s , Eighties and early Nineties. You could have assembled a tasty Saints crew out of the audience !

Recently saw Liairs supported by the amazing Haxan Cloak and saw Savages (best band to come out of the uk in years) supported by the dreadful Palma Violets

Just got back from seeing Peter Hook and The Light at the Brook who were surprisingly superb. I was worried there would be a touch of parody about them.Incredible turn out of faces from the late 70,s , Eighties and early Nineties. You could have assembled a tasty Saints crew out of the audience !

Savages are brilliant, would really like to see them.

Totally disagree on Palma's though. Granted, they are a bit derivative. But, they have good songs and great energy.

I was also at The Brook last night. Thought it was a gig "of 2 halves".

For the Unknown Pleasures set the sound was pretty gash with the keyboards/synths too prevailent and Hookys vocals missing (some might say for the best). He had a few curt words at the sound guys between songs. When they came back out to play the Closer set it was cured and the 2nd hour was magnificent. highlights being

"heart and Soul" and "Decades".

Would have loved his T-shirt that he gave away at the end.

Wow, you got some busy weeks ahead. Luckily it all goes teenybop here now so can rest up (Bruno Mars & Bieber ain't on my radar!)

So Ashcroft unplugged?

They had some dumb bear rule that no cans or bottles were allowed near the stage - so we finished our tinnies and got past the checkpoint to find? A bar selling pints in plastic glasses Wooo (Like I needed any more!) And woosh for the 1st time since about 1978 I found ourselves dead centre and like 0 people back from the stage.

He had two mikes set up (one obviously with loads of reverb & computers & one normal, wore his dopey hat (but DID take his shades off half way through, and played his guitar.

Wonderfully, Stunningly, Stupendously.

Here was a Singer Songwriter geezer with a guitar just playing his music, with such a tone in his voice and passion and emotion. All the album was there, he tried a new song and said this is sh1t it ain't working so stopped. He came up to the crowd asked us what we wanted to hear next, and simply held 8,000 people in the palm of his hand for a magical hour.

Lucky man got the sing a long going, The Drugs don't work made every hair stand up and Bittersweet Symphony? Christ they must have heard us in Abu Dhabi.

He isn't worth seeing on his own, he had his magical songwriting moments all those years ago, but tonight for an hour, truly one of the best Musical moments me or FMDP have had (apart from The Eagles last year of course).

Noel Gallagher was then 30 mins late (Are you Bieber in Disguise didn't go down too well).

He played his new stuff, couldn't be arsed to interact with the audience at all and murdered Wonderwall by doing a not really unplugged mess around with the melody in the middle of it all.

OK so he sounds Oasis"ish" maybe because of the drums more than his weak vocals, but he was as much a let down as Ashcroft was a success.

To use an American Idolism, Ashcroft knocked it outta the park tonight. Noel? Dude, you gotta work on your song choices...

Pics 2mro got some crackers

Oh, just a point. Discussed at length with all the lads crammed on the bus outta the gig

I was disappointed with The Stone Roses. It was a good gig BUT I thought it would be a once in a lifetime moment, instead it was a good night out.

Most of the lads felt the same about it. Enjoyed it, glad they went and would go again.

However, EVERYONE of them agreed that tonight they got that "Moment" from Ashcroft.

He's getting a band together and touring properly next year with a new album he's working on.

He said he's coming back here, on his way round the World, but somehow, I wonder if it will be the same?

Ha yeah, also just remembered I'm seeing Cold War Kids & Lana Del Rey in May, all around my trip to Dubai. Plus Stone Roses and The xx in June. No wonder I am constantly broke - totally worth it mind.

Sounds like you had a great time at Richard Ashcroft. He just never did it for me. Don't really know why, though I will never forgive him for the amount of ***tty Mancs bowling round London like him now. As an aside, I nearly had a scuffle with one of these on my lunch t'other day. Was stood on Oxford St, replying to a text, when some scrawny Manc just drops his shoulder straight into my chest as he walked past, knocking my phone into the road. I grabbed him on the shoulder after he ignored me, and threw his ****y trilby in the road before smugly walking away.

That said, I just found it a bit hard to get all that excited by his sets, I never really loved The Verve, and when I have seen him solo, it's basically been a Verve set.

For me, Stones was one of those great gigs. All about opinions I guess.

Either way, glad you enjoy RA, and keep sharing bud :)

Wowzer! What can I say? Absolutely superb gig - totally mesmerised from start to finish. I might just have to get tickets for their Jodrell Bank gig later in the year as well now.

Am seriously tempted to jump on a cheap plane ticket to catch them on the west coast somewhere.

Ha yeah, also just remembered I'm seeing Cold War Kids & Lana Del Rey in May, all around my trip to Dubai. Plus Stone Roses and The xx in June. No wonder I am constantly broke - totally worth it mind.

Sounds like you had a great time at Richard Ashcroft. He just never did it for me. Don't really know why, though I will never forgive him for the amount of ***tty Mancs bowling round London like him now. As an aside, I nearly had a scuffle with one of these on my lunch t'other day. Was stood on Oxford St, replying to a text, when some scrawny Manc just drops his shoulder straight into my chest as he walked past, knocking my phone into the road. I grabbed him on the shoulder after he ignored me, and threw his ****y trilby in the road before smugly walking away.

That said, I just found it a bit hard to get all that excited by his sets, I never really loved The Verve, and when I have seen him solo, it's basically been a Verve set.

For me, Stones was one of those great gigs. All about opinions I guess.

Either way, glad you enjoy RA, and keep sharing bud :)

Just an FYI 10th May Florence & The Machine on the beach here as part of Sandance/Live at Atlantis

Not my cup of tea tbh but if anyone is heading this way

April - Chris de Burgh

May - Mark Knopfler

June - Bruce Springsteen

July - Robert Williams

Sept - Roger Waters, Fleetwood Mac

#jealous Bloody Bruce tours EU while my wedding is going on. Grrrrr.

Anyways Commercial Sense?

During the "Oh look Dubai's gone bust" years (where we ripped off all those Daily Snail readers that took their advice to buy property down here) we had zip in the way of live music (not withstanding a Glasto Warm up gig from The Pretenders).

Anyway after a bonkers run of about 6 gigs in 4 weeks they've just updated the list for the next few weeks. Remember that each of these is at least a 60 quid gig.... Thank fook there is only one must see(and a couple of ooh a freebie would be nice)

Andrea Bocelli

Guns & Roses

Natalie Cole

Frank Gambale

Train

Amr Diab

Akon

Baauer

Example

Sean Paul

Eve

Cher Lloyd

Tiesto

Yanni

Bruno Mars

Happy Mondays

David Guetta

Florence & The Machine

Bieber

And of course there is only ONE name in that list who will be playing on a Night when Eric is playing toy airplanes (again)

I am still very :scared: at what the lads have arranged from my stag around Bieber time. But The Mondays are a must see!

But I haven't forgotten Bearsy's once in a lifetime job as Bruno's fluffer

With that list it proves Dubai's getting more like 'Ammersmith every year

Saw Paul Weller last night at the Royal Albert Hall for the Teenage Cancer Trust show.

Palma Violets supported, which was a bit odd. They clearly wern't right for the majority of the crowd, which is a shame as they are a good band, and put in some great performances. They just have so much energy, and I do have a soft spot for bands with two-frontmen. It was also odd just how empty the place was for their set. In fact it was like this until literally a minute or so before Weller came out.

As for the man himself. It was a great performance. He played a slightly odd, perhaps indulgent selection of tracks. But for me, it demonstrates that he is a man that absolutely deserves to be placed in the same bracket as the Lennons, McCartneys, Springsteens, Dylans etc. of this world.

Simply put, he is an absolute legend.

Was a little disappointed Noel G didn't make an appearance, would have put money on them doing some form of duet.

Found this programme in the loft. What a line-up! 22nd November 1967 @ Portsmouth Guildhall. Ahhh! Those were the days!

35037_10200630214854991_574806467_n.jpg

Interesting line-up. The Move have been unjustifiably ignored over the years. Amazing band when they had Roy Wood AND Jeff Lynne in there together. There's a mistake on that poster: Amen Corner was the name of the band - not The Amen Corner. Likewise, it's Pink Floyd, not The Pink Floyd! But it was The Nice!

I saw Richard Thompson at Massey Hall in Toronto last week. He was opening for Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell.

RT played with a drummer and bassist - power trio format. He did 10 songs (five from the new CD) - just under an hour. Excellent as always, but the PA sound was very poor.

First time I'd seen Emmylou Harris. I know her best for her work with Gram Parsons on his LPs Grievous Angel and GP. She was very impressive - a good partnership with Crowell. I would call it country-folk-rock.

Interesting line-up. The Move have been unjustifiably ignored over the years. Amazing band when they had Roy Wood AND Jeff Lynne in there together. There's a mistake on that poster: Amen Corner was the name of the band - not The Amen Corner. Likewise, it's Pink Floyd, not The Pink Floyd! But it was The Nice!

Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood started out in a band called The Idle Race. Their album "The Birthday Party" from around 1968 is one of my very favourite. Recently bought it on CD

I have the vinyl LP of that!

I think that I still have it up in the loft somewhere!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birthday-Party-Idle-Race/dp/B000MP32TY/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1364828258&sr=1-4

Also bought this recently:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Part-Past-Simon-Dupree-Sound/dp/B0001CKR46/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1364828378&sr=1-2

Their first album "Without Reservations" made when they were an R&B type rocking band (i.e before "Kites"!) was excellent. They were local (well, Portsmouth I think) and I remember seeing them at the old Concorde Club late 60`s at The Bassett Hotel. Great night!

I think that I still have it up in the loft somewhere!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birthday-Party-Idle-Race/dp/B000MP32TY/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1364828258&sr=1-4

Also bought this recently:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Part-Past-Simon-Dupree-Sound/dp/B0001CKR46/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1364828378&sr=1-2

Their first album "Without Reservations" made when they were an R&B type rocking band (i.e before "Kites"!) was excellent. They were local (well, Portsmouth I think) and I remember seeing them at the old Concorde Club late 60`s at The Bassett Hotel. Great night!

Looking at that Idle Race cover, I realise that I have a different LP. Mine is a double-LP release (1974) - a Canadian release only, I think - a compilation album called Impostors of Life's Magazine.

This link shows the contents:

http://www.discogs.com/Idle-RaceFeaturing-Jeff-Lynne-Impostors-Of-Lifes-Magazine/release/3445331

Hmmm

Keane just got added to the Undercard of the Florence & The Machine Beach gig. Bugger, think that means Eric & I will be going after all. They were here bout 4/5 years ago excellent live band

Meanwhile crammed into an already hectic schedule Michael Learns to Rock just got added. Yeah triffick, whatever, think I have an evening booked playing Solitaire that evening

saw a band called kodaline at the wedgewood rooms in skatesmouth on wednesday night. look out for them they are defo going to be big for sure. played a real tight set and even came into crowd to play a couple of songs unplugged.

first album is out in june and got a simgle in the charts called high hopes.