The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

Saw Turisas at Nottingham Rock City a few weeks ago - class as ever.

Got a load of gigs coming up in the next couple of months - Hardcore Superstar and Buckcherry in Coventry, Michael Monroe at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham, In Extremo (Medieval German Metal....yes!) at the Islington O2 and Poizon Christmas Bash, again at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham.

2013 has been a great year for gigs!

Saw Arctic Monkeys @ Earls Court on Friday.

About the 10th time I've seen them now, just wow. How far they've come since they first started is just stunning. The musicianship, the confidence everything is just so much better.

The set was unsurprisingly AM heavy, not my favourite album, but it sounded good live. Always good to hear Dancing Shoed, Brianstorm etc get an airing. And of course, I Bet You Look Good... In my opinion it's the 'Teenage Kicks' of my generation.

2nd best band of this century in my opinion. No prizes for guessing my #1.

Saw Arctic Monkeys @ Earls Court on Friday.

About the 10th time I've seen them now, just wow. How far they've come since they first started is just stunning. The musicianship, the confidence everything is just so much better.

The set was unsurprisingly AM heavy, not my favourite album, but it sounded good live. Always good to hear Dancing Shoed, Brianstorm etc get an airing. And of course, I Bet You Look Good... In my opinion it's the 'Teenage Kicks' of my generation.

2nd best band of this century in my opinion. No prizes for guessing my #1.

Rudimental or The Wanted?

Getting up and into the office an hour was totally worth it.

Bagged tickets for The Reflektors at The Roundhouse in a couple of weeks.

FYI DP, they are #1 in the world.

:poundit:

Yeah, only outfit that would book them for here would be Sandance. At least the lads that run it TRY and get more focused and what I'd call "obscure" acts (by local definition). I mean FFS only about 300 turned out to see The Wombats, The Automatic, Ocean Colour Scene, Super Furry Animals, and The Human league & about 20 other Guitar/Dance type bands a few years back

Doubt they pick a big name like them for the NYE bash which would sell out 16,000 tickets even if I was the headline doing my Karaoke Classics. Hopefully they have a stop over on their way back from Australia early next year and can fit into an SD in Feb or March

The two main protagonists, Done & Flash (aka Live Nation & AEG) stick to the tried and trusted BIG BRAND gigs these days.

While it is great seeing huge names, I do pine for the days when Sponsors would put up the money for smaller gigs, everything now has to be Guinness Book of Records entry size affairs. Also it's a big black hole after the F1 in Abu Dhabi, no big names on the radar yet which is disappointing.

Probably spent all their money on Tiger & Rory's appearance money for the 25 Anniversary Golf bah in January

What a f*cking shambles my home town is when it comes to putting on a show.

http://www.letsrocksouthampton.co.uk/

Can anyone tell me where the "rock" is in all of that?

FFS.

Haha that's like our Jazz Festival next Feb we have Jamie Cullum, The Wanted, Olly Murs, Colbie Caillat - like since when did that lot represent the best in global Jazz?

BUT I have to say the line up for that gig on The Common will actually put on a great night

ABC & Howard Jones were part of an 80's tour here last year and both were outstanding on stage - 45 minutes of Lexicon of Love live is worth anybody's entry fee alone - Heaven 17 had a great female vocalist and their re-visit of Temptation was a show stopper.

Saw the The Real Thing a decade ago - that's your voice screwed for a week after because you WILL bloody well sing along and THEN you'll all be holding onto your nuts to g et the right key for Caribbean Queen.

It shouldn't be advertised as Rock but it WILL be a great night of sing along stuff. Just a shame you're missing Rick Astley from that line up :rolleyes:

What a f*cking shambles my home town is when it comes to putting on a show.

http://www.letsrocksouthampton.co.uk/

Can anyone tell me where the "rock" is in all of that?

Claire Grogan less than 400 yards from my place!!?? :o :poundit:

Rohypnol? Check.

Large sack? Check.

Unmarked van? Check.

Manacles? Check. :suspicious:

This may be a wild stab in the dark, but maybe you should try contacting Claire Grogan.

Apart from performing in non-rock rock festivals, I'm sure she's not busy.

• 2 weeks later...
On my way home from Arcade Fire at The Roindhouse,

Just wow!

By such a long distance that was the very best gig I have been to.

Easily the best band on the planet right now, not even in a league comparable to anyone else.

So you quite like them then?

:)

Mrs D_P got all excited yesterday when she heard that Europe were playing here next week....

Talk of them being big when she was a kid yadda yadda.

Took her about 3 hours to suddenly come to the point Oh they only actually had 2 hits and I can't remember the second one. 60 Quid a ticket??? FFS

So meh will wait until Arcade Fire are no longer "happening", they'll turn up here in about 4 years then (or Glasto next summer)

• 2 weeks later...

The Rifles last Friday at The Forum. Bloomin' Brilliant.

If only for nostalgic reasons. But I still think they have some really great tracks, so underrated. Seem like really top blokes as well.

Off to see Queens of the Stone Age Saturday, going more or less straight from the Emirates. That is going to be a seriously boozy day me thinks.

On my way home from Arcade Fire at The Roindhouse,

Just wow!

By such a long distance that was the very best gig I have been to.

Easily the best band on the planet right now, not even in a league comparable to anyone else.

Seen them too. Think I still prefer Iron Maiden for pure fun.

i am being forced to go watch the courteeners in december. I am not looking forward to it! Is it ok to listen to ur ipod at gigs, or is this frown upon?

I think you'll be fine apart from the fact you won't really be able to hear either.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs made a big thing of people going to gigs only to record them with their mobile devices, but as far as I can tell, Karen O doesn't give a f**k if you're listening to One Direction at her concerts.

i am being forced to go watch the courteeners in december. I am not looking forward to it! Is it ok to listen to ur ipod at gigs, or is this frown upon?

Grow up bear, you're not 19 forever........ boooom! see what I did there?

Anyway, saw Pete Doherty at Brixton Jamm the other night. It is basically just a pub with a stage on it, max 200 people. He turned up at about 10 and finished just before 1am. He was loving it. In the end there was only about 50 people in there as loads had to go for the last train and stuff. It is kind of a stalkers gig.

Were you there KRG?

Grow up bear, you're not 19 forever........ boooom! see what I did there?

Anyway, saw Pete Doherty at Brixton Jamm the other night. It is basically just a pub with a stage on it, max 200 people. He turned up at about 10 and finished just before 1am. He was loving it. In the end there was only about 50 people in there as loads had to go for the last train and stuff. It is kind of a stalkers gig.

Were you there KRG?

I actually came very close to going to that one. I think a band that are kind of friends of a friend were supporting. Bunch of Aussies called Millions? Anyway, nah I didn't. My thoughts on Mr. Doherty are well known.

The band before were called the VEX or something like that. They were ok, had a song about coca-cola that was good. They were kind of libertines tribute though with two lead singers. One of them obviously loved Carl Barat as he really try to look and act like him. Was this your mates?

Anyway, it was so small it was really strange. Pete stopped for a bit as people were giving him presents. Strange ones too. Someone gave him an Xbox game, others hats, someone gave him a ring. I felt bad as I didn't know it was his birthday and didn't bring anything. It was like when a relative you didn't know was coming for xmas turns up and has a present for you. All you have in exchange is a firm handshake.

V. good concert though.

Saw this guy at the Railway last weekend. Haunting stuff. I promoted his first ever gig a couple of years ago, and now The Wire and The Quietus and suchlike are all over him like some avant-rash. I'm well ahead of the curve, me... (n.b. this post is about how cool I am)

The Rifles last Friday at The Forum. Bloomin' Brilliant.

If only for nostalgic reasons. But I still think they have some really great tracks, so underrated. Seem like really top blokes as well.

Off to see Queens of the Stone Age Saturday, going more or less straight from the Emirates. That is going to be a seriously boozy day me thinks.

Soooo, just found out Band of Skulls are the support act. Wow, that's going to be some night. Imagine if Saints win, I probably won't make it to sunday!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw Black Sabbath at the O2 last night. Excellent night helped along with significant booze.

Managed to get close to the stage , but thought I was going to have a heart attack after about an hour, I was knackered. I'm just not as young as I used to be!

Edited by Miffy
superfluous word

Rolling Stones in Abu Dhabi 21st Feb. Tickets go on sale tomorrow. General admission just under 100 quid - that's a record for here. (US$1000 for standing at the front FFS!)

I of course got my General Admission in the pre-sale.... :smug:

Interesting for us is the news that Virgin are promoting a 2 day "festival" here the week before - Redfest.

Conor Maynard, Marvin Humes, John Newman, Naughty Boy, The Lumineers, Tiny Tempah, Marvin Humes, A-YO! a DJ collective consisting of superstar producer and celebrity DJ Marc Ronson and BBC Radio One Presenter and top DJ Zane Lowe. To top it all off, the headlining act will be by none other than the irreverant Ke$ha.

Not that exciting for me but interesting that they are using some of the language from other V or Redfest events and at least appear to be bringing over acts that aren't musical dinosaurs... 20 Acts two stages - interesting to see who they add to the list, also 70 quid for a 2 day pass compared to the Stones..

(Who are a bargain at any price over here)

Saw Neko Case at the Forum in Kentish Town last week. She was excellent. I saw her a few years ago in Portsmouth and her voice mesmerised me, and this gig was even better. Great voice, deep lyrics, good music, good stage banter, but only performed for a little over an hour.

Saw Billy Bragg at the Guildhall earlier in December. I've seen him many times and he was his usual entertaining self - although he is sounding more and more country these days, which I'm not completely happy about. Took my teenage daughter, which was a real rite of passage as she'd been brainwashed by me singing and playing The Bragg to her all her life. An excellent gig, slightly spoiled by a mate getting thrown out of the venue.

Saw Neko Case at the Forum in Kentish Town last week. She was excellent. I saw her a few years ago in Portsmouth and her voice mesmerised me, and this gig was even better. Great voice, deep lyrics, good music, good stage banter, but only performed for a little over an hour.

Saw Billy Bragg at the Guildhall earlier in December. I've seen him many times and he was his usual entertaining self - although he is sounding more and more country these days, which I'm not completely happy about. Took my teenage daughter, which was a real rite of passage as she'd been brainwashed by me singing and playing The Bragg to her all her life. An excellent gig, slightly spoiled by a mate getting thrown out of the venue.

Love the Bragg-man, even if I don't always agree with him - I love his passion. Saw him at a charity gig a friend put on a few years ago, he played at like 1pm to about 5 people. Was odd, but he was an absolute gent and stopped and had a chat with us.

Out of interest, what did your mate do to get kicked out?

Love the Bragg-man, even if I don't always agree with him - I love his passion. Saw him at a charity gig a friend put on a few years ago, he played at like 1pm to about 5 people. Was odd, but he was an absolute gent and stopped and had a chat with us.

Out of interest, what did your mate do to get kicked out?

Drunk and disorderly.

Bill is a great entertainer on stage. He's a real racconteur, and I think even those that don't align with him politically would enjoy the performance. He was on stage for over 2 hours.

I've met him many a time backstage and you're right he always makes time to chat. Except the one time when I p!ssed next to him at the toilets at Fleet services. I told him that I'd shake his hand if we both weren't otherwise occupied. He laughed nervously and left.

He was on stage for over 2 hours.

omg that does my head in when bands are like that! One of the first gigs i went to was to see spiritualized cos my mate was fan. We rocked up like at 8pm or whatever and they was already on! They then proceeded to play for a full 3 hours! It was v.v.boring! And then they went off + everyone was like omg thank fuck for that, but you'll never guess what they done next! They only come back on to play encore!

Sounds like ur mate had the right idea!

• 4 weeks later...

OK campers

Annual HELP time again.

You can choose ONE night with full corporate hospitality in a box about 80 yards from the stage FREE.

Which Gig would you go to?

Stone Temple Pilots

The Wanted + Olly Murs

Colbie Caillat + Jamie Cullum

Santana

All on different nights in Feb. I can go to one only and all I have to pay is the taxi fare (about 6 quid each way) and can have free booze from 6PM to Midnight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the "lack" of help gang :)

So I got my annual airmiles VIP free bubbles tickets for Jamie Cullum & Colbie Caillat next Thursday and got a freebie pair of tickets for Al Mackay's Eart Wind & Fire Experience. Gotta find some Spandex for that one. Might see if Toke's has some going spare. All I can say is that 6 hours of the equivalent of Emirates Business Class Food & Booze has let me enjoy some really outstanding gigs I would never have got off the sofa to pay to watchwatch - John Legend, Alison Moyet, Jools Holland, James Blunt & finally The Script so having done some checking out on You Tube I think I may be in for a night of drooling to Colbie & sing-a-long with Jamie.

Stones next week full day brunch & 7 of us in a Limo - probably won't care about the fact we'll be 2 miles from the stage and they are so old they forget all the words, have their incontinence pants emptied every two songs.

Then to choose between Clapton & Black Sabbath. Still a chance Sabbath may do Glasto so :scared:, what to do?

So I got my annual airmiles VIP free bubbles tickets for Jamie Cullum & Colbie Caillat next Thursday and got a freebie pair of tickets for Al Mackay's Eart Wind & Fire Experience. Gotta find some Spandex for that one. Might see if Toke's has some going spare. All I can say is that 6 hours of the equivalent of Emirates Business Class Food & Booze has let me enjoy some really outstanding gigs I would never have got off the sofa to pay to watchwatch - John Legend, Alison Moyet, Jools Holland, James Blunt & finally The Script so having done some checking out on You Tube I think I may be in for a night of drooling to Colbie & sing-a-long with Jamie.

Stones next week full day brunch & 7 of us in a Limo - probably won't care about the fact we'll be 2 miles from the stage and they are so old they forget all the words, have their incontinence pants emptied every two songs.

Then to choose between Clapton & Black Sabbath. Still a chance Sabbath may do Glasto so :scared:, what to do?

Yeah, it was such an awful list I just wouldn't have gone to any.

Would love to see Sabbath at Glasto.

says the kelvin who was actually disappoint to miss scroobius pip! I do agree tho, as i was reading along dp's list cullum, holland, blunt, script etc i was getting more + more facepalm

Oh Bear - sorry, :mcinnes:. Those gigs are FREE, GRATIS, with FREE BOOZE, ALL YOU CAN DRINK, Then they bring in EVEN MORE!

Christ, Oldnick in duet with Eric at karaoke would be an awesome gig under those conditions

Emirates Airline has some of the best Food & Quality of Wines & Booze in their Business Class on their flights. Grey Goose Vodka for example and always decent Bubbles (The Dom Perignon is for the very front).

A 6 or 7 hour flight with all that food and booze is actually VERY NICE. Unfortunately to fly to the UK like that costs around 4 Grand, so unless you are an uber - blagger or work for HMG the plebs have to sit in the back.

BUT. Once a year Emirates hosts the Dubai Jazz Festival, and let's you use airmiles to buy VIP tickets - it is 1/3rd of the miles to fly to UK one way but the VIP "Lounge" is open for 7 hours.

Ergo for 7 hours (in a land where a Pint or a Short + Mixer costs almost 7 quid) we can sit back and guzzle POSH NOSH and BOOZE.

The saving grace is actually that the VIP Lounge is around 90 yards or so from the stage, so it is just this dot wailing away in the background.

True Story James Blunt asked the audience "Hands up all those who did not want to be here tonight?" - Every bloke in the place raises their hand. "OK stay with it lads we'll do some rock and metal before the end"

And he did.

Have to say Jools Holland with his big band is outstanding and I WOULD pay good money to see him or John Legend again.