The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

Holy Krap.

Just seen the ticket prices for the Stones in Hyde Park

299 Quid for Tier One

199 Quid for Tier Two

95 Quid for Rugby Scrum

Makes Glasto look cheap

Now, where's my mate's phone number? The one that builds Stages for gigs.........

Mate it's an absolute joke. They are so out of touch it is untrue.

Total rip-off. Hyde Park is so poor for gigs as well.

They have to have it so quiet otherwise all the rick folk in the area throw their toys out of the pram.

On the topic of gigs, I won tickets (again - I bloody love twitter) to see Palma Violets again (6th time in 2013 - I'm not a stalker, honest) on Tuesday.

It was in Brixton, where they are from, and they had their mates Childhood supporting, who are also local.

Fantastic gig, by far the best I have ever seen PV. Tore the place apart, helped how up for it the crowd were, I left feeling like I'd been beaten up!

Childhood are definitely one to keep an eye out for, had a really great sound. Could see them being a fantastic festival act.

Yesterday was a struggle. Uff.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo hoo.

Good old Eric just collected our tickets for Happy Mondays on Friday then Keane + Florence & The Machine for 10th May.

Love this being single malarky.

(FMDP is in Krakow doing all the hard work for the wedding)

Big decision still left. David Guetta on 3rd or Karaoke? Hmmm

Will give y'all a Mondays review over the weekend

Went on Monday to O2 at Bompey to see James supported by Echo and the Bunnymen. The two bands I have seen more than any other, playing together.

Echo were great, with Mac in the best form since the nineties IMHO. reminded us what a poor imitator Liam Gallagher is. 14th sighting (inc. Electrafixion).

James were as magnificent as they always are, with the whole band really enjoying themselves. 18th time Ive seen them.

OK, so in reality it did fill up. What to say apart from DAD DANCING RULES!

Happy Mondays 10 Stone Roses 0

Oh how we danced, what a great night.

OK so in more detail.

They came on 30 minutes late, by which time to be fair there was still less than 1,000 people at the gig - REALLY bad promotional work there had been little Media coverage compared to the likes of Bieber.

On the plus side that meant there WAS plenty of room to dancec (and once EoA got going with the hands in the air it was needed :lol:

Warm up was by @The Step On DJ's - basically Mark Berry their "dancer" plus someone else hiding in the shadows.

Strangely a great turn out by Dubai Saints with 5 of us there - consensus was that we were all expecting them to be pretty crap, but in fact they came out and played a really tight set. S

Superb vocals balance between Rowetta & Shaun and the band was really tight.

If I am honest from about the 3rd note of the first song, shoulders in the crowd started to wobble and by the time they got to Step On it was just a bonkers Dad Dancing Rave. Yet both my sons were there (24 & 25 respectively) and by the end even they were bouncing around the stadium.

They managed to last an hour, and gave it their all, which considering they must have been a tad disappointed in the turn out was well professional.

The verdict? This was what I had hoped the Noel Gallagher & Stone Roses gigs would have been like, a number of warm fuzzy feelings as long forgotten tracks and a couple of classics got aired. I thought we'd sing and dance to Noel & Ian, we did for maybe one song. In the Madchester revival/still going war, the Mondays won hands down.

They may not be as trendy or hip, but I have to say they put on a Bloody great night.

Next up avoid Bieber, try and blag Guetta freebies, and then Florence & Keane with Eric for my last Dubai gig as a single guy!

Went to see Peace @ Birthdays in HipsterVille (Dalston) last night.

Crap venue, my head was basically touching the ceiling - well the vent pipe at least, and the stage was so small that you could hardly see the band.

The support act were Superfood, who were pretty enjoyable. I don't really know too much about them, but they have some good songs and their sound was surprisingly good considering how small they are and the venue.

Peace were absolutely brilliant. Tore the place to pieces. Fans of 90's music may enjoy them, as they are littered with 90's references of such diverse backgrounds - instantly recognisable are bits of Blur, The Charlatans, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins. They also do a pretty brilliant version of Binary Finary's 1998, which is a full 10 mins long, and sound brilliant live.

Just back from Croydon Town after seeing Eureka Machines - lead singer also plays lead guitar for the Sisters of Mercy when they can be bothered to play, if you like rock/pop, look 'em up.

Jesus H. Seems we've caught a British Disease down here...

Rihanna is coming for my Birthday in October.

(Yeah well I wish)

I meant she is in concert on my birthday. So anyway I get through on ticketmaster to find out the tickets START at 100 quid, and for anywhere with a view of her rather than a TV screen it's 160 quid....

I can understand that in UK these days but for here that is astronomically bonkers and begs the question

Is Rihanna worth more than the Rolling Stones?

(Well in the right circumstances and location I suppose ;) )

Makes Glasto look a real bargain

Anyhows BIG awayday for all the Dubai Saints tomorrow - sell out 12,000 crowd on the Beach for Keane & Florence.

Report MAY follow if we can remember anything (thank God we have the extra day to recover before the game this weekend or the pub attendance would be decimated!

I went to see Bill Bailey at Sheffield City Hall on tuesday. It qualifies as a gig because of his musical elements, including religious dubstep (or nunstep, as he called it) and a reggae version of the Downton Abbey theme tune.

The bloke really is a musical and comedic genius.

I went to see Bill Bailey at Sheffield City Hall on tuesday. It qualifies as a gig because of his musical elements, including religious dubstep (or nunstep, as he called it) and a reggae version of the Downton Abbey theme tune.

The bloke really is a musical and comedic genius.

No justification needed.

Comedy performances should count as gigs, musical or not. All are welcome here.

Off to see Cold War Kids tonight.

Booked this drunk months ago, and forgot entirely til the tickets flopped onto the doormat a couple of days ago. Had to change a flight back from Barcelona for this. Better be worth it.

Loved their early stuff, haven't actually heard any of their last two albums. Could be interesting, they were pretty good when I saw them in a tent @ Reading years ago.

:?

No justification needed.

Comedy performances should count as gigs, musical or not. All are welcome here.

Off to see Cold War Kids tonight.

Booked this drunk months ago, and forgot entirely til the tickets flopped onto the doormat a couple of days ago. Had to change a flight back from Barcelona for this. Better be worth it.

Loved their early stuff, haven't actually heard any of their last two albums. Could be interesting, they were pretty good when I saw them in a tent @ Reading years ago.

:?

^like

Sooooooooooooo, Cold War Kids last night.

I wasn't exactly buzzing for it, seeing as I had pretty much just got off a flight. But, it was really great.

They sounded so good, so tight. Nathan Willett has such an usual, yet brilliant voice. Their new stuff sounded really good, will definitely be checking out the album.

Hang Me Up to Dry was amazing. There is something so hypnotic, so captivating, almost mesmerising about a great bass line. From those first few notes that has you, and holds you for the next 3 minutes.

Would definitely recommend.

Went on Monday to O2 at Bompey to see James supported by Echo and the Bunnymen. The two bands I have seen more than any other, playing together.

Echo were great, with Mac in the best form since the nineties IMHO. reminded us what a poor imitator Liam Gallagher is. 14th sighting (inc. Electrafixion).

James were as magnificent as they always are, with the whole band really enjoying themselves. 18th time Ive seen them.

Geniuses The Bunnymen supporting a bunch of mediocre chancers James. Shocking.

Now my anticipation is all about another gig I am going to at Manchester Apollo next weekend - a band that I also never expected I would get to see live, not because they had split up years ago like the Stone Roses, but because they very rarely play in the UK: the mighty, majestic, awe-inspiring Sigur Ros.

You missed them at Southampton Guildhall? I dont know....................

Christ alive, What an amazing night, FATM were simply astonishing

Think me & Eric even managed to **** fit chicks DURING the gig.

Bonkers night out kicked off by Keane. Stunning

Just go see FATM anywhere anytime ever...

Next up on the beach 11th October? The Killers oh wow

May try & find a photo to post when I can see straight 2mro. IF anyone finds Eric, let his Missus know he is safe

http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/al-nisr-portfolio/tabloid/review-florence-welch-shows-em-how-it-s-done-1.1181870

An artist who arrives on time, sings live (and beautifully) while dancing around the stage, engages her audience and manages to capture the heart-thumping difference between live music and a CD recording: A week after Justin Bieber, Florence Welch showed ‘em how it’s done.

There's a damn fair point in there about the corwd movement though. The venue has a dumb layout where 12,000 people are crammed into an area only about 50 yards wide with a stage at one end and the bogs at the other.

But having been lucky enough to have so many great bands come down here her show still has to be up there as one of the best I've seen

You missed them at Southampton Guildhall? I dont know....................

Yeah funny that, seeing as I live in Sheffield.

Even if I did still live in Southampton, I doubt I would be checking the listings for the Guildhall. I've been to a few gigs there over the years and it's a terrible venue for live music - the acoustics are just awful.

• 3 weeks later...

So, been a bit busy of late, haven't updated this for quite a while.

Saw The Strypes about a month back. Unbelievably good. How a band can be so polished and accomplished whilst being made up of 2 16 year olds and 2 17 year olds completely baffles me. Definitely set for big things.

Stone Roses in Finsbury Park was mega. A really great day out. Miles Kane, was first on, and absolutely smashed it - his new stuff sounded great live. Next up was Johnny Marr, who was ok, I was fairly tipsy by this point and singing along to his Smiths covers (Bigmouth, How soon & There is a light) was good fun. Public Image Limited were absolute garbage. Stones absolutely smashed it. Sounded so good, played all the classics (except Sally Cinnamon unfortunately, which is a shame as it's a personal fave) and even a couple of newies that sounded pretty cool, if not particularly new.

Went to Night + Day at Hatfield House at the weekend. The xx's day festival event. Was a really great day out. Had some good bands supporting too. Kindness were really good fun. Polica were great live. Solange Knowles (yes, Beyonce's little sister) was surprisingly enjoyable, much pop-ier than her sister, but just as good a performer. And The xx were brilliant. Simple, understated but just fantastic. There was something just so enthralling about it. Would certainly recommend them.

Next up is a big one for me, Richard Hawley @ Somerset House on July 14th. Absolutely buzzing for that one!

Saw Johnny Marr at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth during the week.

Really enjoyed it and the bloke can still play. Whilst I'd followed a number of his collaborations (The The, Billy Bragg, etc.), I didn't really know his solo work. I don't think I was alone in that, as it was only when he played the 4-5 Smiths' tracks that the place really came alive.

Worth the £20 just to hear him play "How soon is now".

For Gig/Petrolheads, just an FYI for the Abu Dhabi GP in whenever.

Depeche Mode play the free concert (for ticketholders at the GP) on Sunday Night

Muse play the Saturday night.

Still tba for Friday

So a ticket for the GP & get couple of big gigs in.

Oh and for those who missed The Killers at Wembley/IOW or wherever they will be here on the beach on 11th October at Sandance supported by Of Monsters & Men - 12,000 **** heads rammed onto a strip of sand

Been nagged into going and seeing Stereo MCs next weekend :(

Want to see New Model Army in Vienna and The Meteors in Munich before the end of the year.

I used to roadie and generally help out for NMA back in the mid-80s. I got to know Rob Heaton (God rest his soul) well as I was friends with and worked alongside his brother Mike for Wessex Archaeology. Rob came digging with us in Dorchester in 84. Happy days in Bradford, fast-food curries at the Shimla, playing football on the old Bradford PA ground etc. I remember the day they got signed by EMI, Rob walked into the pub in Bradford from the meeting, everyone looked at him quizzically and he slowly produced a wadge of £50 notes and said 'I guess the drinks are on me' haha. Rob's ambition was to displace Frank Beard in ZZ Top, a band he idolized.

They didn't expect to last too long but they're still doing it.

Blimey now you've got me digging out the old photos.

• 1 month later...

Been a hectic few weeks (again).

Went and saw Elvis Costello and Ray Davies in Hyde Park a few Fridays back. It was part of the British Summer Time series there, and was free due to Elton John pulling out. Must say I had great fun, Elvis was brilliant, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Ray Davies even if I can't remember much of him playing.

Then was Richard Hawley at Somerset House, stunning. Absolutely brilliant, it was a gorgeous sunny day - and his tunes just hit spot on. Even bumping into my boss didn't ruin it - in fairness she's actually pretty sound, and her fella bought me a cider so I really shouldn't complain.

Few days later I was back at Somerset House with the gf for Jessie Ware, seeing as I drag her to all sorts of stuff she probably doesn't care about (she stood through a 3 hour Cure set having never listened to them) I thought I'd balance it out by taking her to see someone she really likes. I have to say I actually really enjoyed it. She's got a great collection of songs, and a cracking voice - plus she is an absolute stunner. This topped off with her infectiously likable character on stage ensured for a very fun evening.

The very next day I was back at Somerset House once more (thank christ the weather was amazing that week!) for Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros. I have to admit by this point (4th gig in a week) I was feeling a bit jaded, and tempted to sack it off. But, like the trooper I am I soldiered on and put away some ciders (only thing I dislike about Somerset House is that the only lager they serve is Carling) and got into it. First of these 3 shows to have a half decent support band - He's my Brother, She's my Sister. Good fun, bit quirky - think they were Vegas. They also had a pair of absolute stunners amongst their ranks. Thoroughly enjoyable. Ed Sharpe and his band were great. Think I counted around 15 of them on stage - and it was really great fun. There was a real sense of euphoria around the place - it was kind of reminiscent of an Arcade Fire show.

Finally, managed to blag my way into The Roundhouse last week for Atoms for Peace - Thom Yorke and Flea's supergroup. Wow. Just wow. Cracking stage set up and lighting made for an impressive spectacle - and as you would expect from a group of such talented musicians, the sound was amazing. Really interesting to see Thom Yorke in this context, the band are a bit dancier and more experimental than Radiohead/his solo stuff - he also isn't chained to his guitar which meant he was free to move around the stage a bit more, including a lot of dancing, which was fun to see. Flea was, as expected, an absolute beast. Smacking the living cr@p out of his bass, and headbanging constantly. Really great stuff.

Uff, been a busy few months. Gutted it's a while til the next one now :(

• 3 weeks later...

So. Concert season is nearly upon us here in Dubai.

I've turned down the chance to see Tom Jones for the 4th time (that honour is reserved for Bruce)

Got my Killers on the beach tickets and Rihanna for my B'day (well it will be better than going to karaoke AGAIN)

Anyway this week they have been pushing tickets for the F1 in Abu Dhabi. Think I mentioned that Depeche Mode headline on the Sunday After Race party meh

Muse play Saturday and are US$110 a ticket (including entrance to the final practice of F1) now they are WELL top of my want to see list.

On the Friday they had no announcement - it was left blank. So two weeks ago they started this #first200 for a HUGE concert announcement. All you had to do was be in the 1st 200 in the queue at Virgin Megastore last Tuesday. No idea who it would be.....

So paranoia started - What If? It's The Stones, or Bruce? or FFS even Adele?

So muggins had nowt much to do at work and took an hour out to go down (after MUCH badgering from Mrs D_P).

I arrived one hour before THE ANNOUNCEMENT time, and remarkably found myself #125 in a queue of 4 bored parents & 120 kids. They had a farking DJ beating out LOUD R&B & Hip Hop arrgh. Anyway I did my emails on the Android and the big moment came when they announced it was...

Now, I WAS expecting it to be krap and hoping it was one of MY favs....

It was?

JayZ

Woah. Go me, I just got two freebie tickets worth $110 EACH for THE Man.

Am I going to go? Hell no, saw him at Glasto when he was brilliant, but I STILL hate that genre of music.

All it meant is that I now have REAL tradeables to swap for Muse

Go Me!

Oh and last night picked up Toploader (meh commercial sell-out bstds) but supported by Lightning Seeds Unplugged 14 quid a ticket for 26th Sept - bargain. Can watch the quality & sing a lond then go get shredded on cheap Guinness that night!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw The Strypes about a month back. Unbelievably good. How a band can be so polished and accomplished whilst being made up of 2 16 year olds and 2 17 year olds completely baffles me.

I can answer that one quite easily. They are a totally manufactured band. About as authentic as those bands and singers that come out of acting school. Completely dominated by their management, what to wear, what type of music to play,they write some of their own songs but are then altered by professional songwriters. X-Factor style for indie kids.

I can answer that one quite easily. They are a totally manufactured band. About as authentic as those bands and singers that come out of acting school. Completely dominated by their management, what to wear, what type of music to play,they write some of their own songs but are then altered by professional songwriters. X-Factor style for indie kids.

Lol, you're such a happy go lucky guy Manji.

I wasn't actually aware of this, I didn't know too much about them, but the ticket was free and I like the 100 Club.

Even if they are manufactured, they really can play and for a bunch of kids they are very entertaining.

Unlike the average x-factor act, these kids are pretty darn talented.

The Season is nearly upon us. I'm broke already

19th Sept Tom Jones in Scabi Dhabi (seen him 3 times to my embarrassment & loved him every show but not this time)

26th TopLoader & Unplugged Lightning Seeds - bargain at only 15 quid booked

11th Oct Killers Of Mnsters & Men & The Wailers - booked months ago 30 quid

19th Oct Rihanna - B'day present in Abu Dhabi Ouch in the front section with hotel

1st Nov JayZ Freebie Tickets Go me

2nd Nov Muse Getting a minibus together but fighting for tickets 65 quid, but worth every penny

11th Nov Chic Feat Nile Rodgers, Jamiroquai & Rudimental 30 quid

Wow December is going to be boring

Oh no we have the Rugby 7's & DWC Golf

Now MUCH more importantly, a local Venue, The Music Room has now set up a monthly night for local bands.

Our two "most famous" bands atm are Juliana Down (Over Hyped wannbees) http://www.julianadown.net/home.cfm

and

Hollaphonic - Dance boys https://www.facebook.com/Hollaphonic

MR are now putting on regular monthly slots so Garage bands can finally have a decent venue and we have a choice and can listen to a complete mishmash of stuff. Almost like being back home!

In 20 years in Dubai, this is the first time something has been properly set up, there are a hell of a lot of talented kids here who haven't had the chance to get out & play, 99% of bars preferring Karaoke Cover Bands as their safe entertainment. The Hollaphonic guys are burning a new trail and are out & about gigging regularly now in Lebanon & their local Record Label are trying to take them into the UK.

In terms of creating a REAL music scene it is a start and as someone who finds the bands in most bars dull boring & repetitive after so long it is great to see things could start to change.

Babyshambles in Brixton tomorrow.

Hmmmm, Pete Doherty reminds me of a bit from Doug Stanhope's stand up shows.

Basically, he should have died. I used to try and defend him, or stand up for him. But now, he is frankly just embarrassing. Working for drug money.

It's a shame because there is some talent in there, but I fear it's just been destroyed by too much smack. I once saw Babyshambles at Brixton, and it has to be said they were great. But I also saw them in Manchester, and it was awful.

Hopefully, you get lucky and catch him on a good night.