Villa's brave young side...

JackanorySFC

Over the last few weeks I've noticed more in newspaper reports, radio show, MOTD and on Podcasts that people in the game are incredibly enthusiastic about Paul Lambert's Kids and their brave approach to football, how they've turned a corner and are offering "another way" in terms of approaching the Prem. Their average age is apparently 23.4. I was wondering if anyone with more time/ better access to our players profiles could tot up our average as I'm pretty sure we are of a similar average age, certainly play a more expansive game and only a few points behind Villa yet no one mentions us in this bracket, not even for comparison?

Is so I'll send an "outraged" email to the Game, Guardian football weekly and the Football Ramble podcasts ;)

Interesting that despite being either the same or very similar in terms of age I'm yet to see us described as a young side? Maybe just missed it? Personally really like the emphasis on young, hungry players with something to prove and not too old to adapt to different systems/ styles of play etc. Hopefully means we can only get better, have to keep hold of gems like Lallana, Clyne, Shaw and Gaston though.

Interesting that despite being either the same or very similar in terms of age I'm yet to see us described as a young side? Maybe just missed it? Personally really like the emphasis on young, hungry players with something to prove and not too old to adapt to different systems/ styles of play etc. Hopefully means we can only get better, have to keep hold of gems like Lallana, Clyne, Shaw and Gaston though.

Would take our recruitment policy over that of QPR/West Ham any day.

[TABLE=width: 84]

[TR]

[TD]Shaw[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Clyne[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ramirez[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Schneiderlin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cork[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Yoshida[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lallana[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Puncheon[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fonte[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lambert[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Davis

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As at today’s date, the team above has an average age of 25yrs 141.4 days. Swap Gazzaniga for Kelvin and it becomes 23yrs 365.7 days. (I'm a sad bastard with time on my hands and a pitiful penchant for spreadsheets).

Over the last few weeks I've noticed more in newspaper reports, radio show, MOTD and on Podcasts that people in the game are incredibly enthusiastic about Paul Lambert's Kids and their brave approach to football, how they've turned a corner and are offering "another way" in terms of approaching the Prem. Their average age is apparently 23.4. I was wondering if anyone with more time/ better access to our players profiles could tot up our average as I'm pretty sure we are of a similar average age, certainly play a more expansive game and only a few points behind Villa yet no one mentions us in this bracket, not even for comparison?

Is so I'll send an "outraged" email to the Game, Guardian football weekly and the Football Ramble podcasts ;)

Maybe it's a backhanded compliment to us in that the media are used to a progressive club such as Saints playing a low average aged side whereas for an established Premier League club of the likes of Villa it's a departure from how they usually go about maintaining their Premier League status. The fact that we go under the radar is a sign that we've been doing things right for longer than Villa.

I think it is more obvious with the villa, as there is a sudden emergence of academy players never before noticed. The only player we have in that regard is Shaw. Clyne was known at palace, Ramirez is obviously an international and wasn't undiscovered. Schneiderlin and cork have been playing for a while. Whereas villas Stevens, baker, Westlake is it? Etc are unknown quantities. Plus their entire back four is something like under 21 where it is usually in need of some experience.

I think it is more obvious with the villa, as there is a sudden emergence of academy players never before noticed. The only player we have in that regard is Shaw. Clyne was known at palace, Ramirez is obviously an international and wasn't undiscovered. Schneiderlin and cork have been playing for a while. Whereas villas Stevens, baker, Westlake is it? Etc are unknown quantities. Plus their entire back four is something like under 21 where it is usually in need of some experience.

The vast majority of their players aren't through the youth system.

Westwood,Lowton, Bennett, Holman and Benteke were all signed in the summer.

I think the real point here is yet again the anti Saints bias of the BBC. Noticed it on MOTD.

I'm not sure it's anti-Saints, it just appears that Villa have a better PR person, as highlighted on this week's Guardian Football Weekly podcast when one of the panel was talking about smoozing with the Villa press officer at the weekend. That stuff pays dividends when it comes to the press reporting positivity about a team.

I would rather us slowly build a squad with less media coverage, lets be honest media hype can make things worse and make players look better/worse then what they are.

If we win saturday i bet all the press and MOTD will focus on how well were doing and were still be top 5 in the form table.

Probably worth mentioning that at the very least Vlaar and possibly Dunne would be in that team were it not for injuries. Petrov would likely play as well were he not still receiving treatment for his illness. That's not really their strongest team, but a side brought out through circumstances.