The Weight Loss Blog...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

On another note just done a bit of channel hoping and notice Steve Bull on the Jeremy Kyle show. They needed 3 sets of scales to weight him, he was 36 stone, 66.9 BMI over 50% bodyfat. Just remember, it could be worse..........

I hope that was the repeat of when he was on last summer and not a new one with him coming back to show everyone how much he'd lost (gained)

I hope that was the repeat of when he was on last summer and not a new one with him coming back to show everyone how much he'd lost (gained)

Yeah it was. Him crying on there about how disgusting he looks. You're not wrong mate. I'm sure he got given a free membership to David Lloyd when he was our "celebrity fan" for a while back in the early 00s.

Right I’ll get on board with logging the details on here as well:

Motivations:

• Having to start wearing my larger clothing again and can only fit into a few of my work shirts now (a moot point at the moment).
  • Running the London marathon in April

Started exercising again over Christmas period

Starting Weight: 13st 8

Target Weight: 11st ish (more a case of wanting to get rid of fat and trim up rather than be a specific weight)

Height: 5ft 8

BMI: Can’t be arsed to work it out

Tactics Used: My fitness pal app - Runners world marathon training programme for sub 3h finish.

Weigh In date: Saturday AM after morning dump

Week 1 – Weight: 13st 8

Week 2 – Weight: 13st 2 (weekly loss 6lb)

Week 3 – Weight: 13st 1 (weekly loss 1lb – poor but I know why!)

Week 4 – Weight: 12st 9 (weekly loss 6lb)

Week 5 – Weight: 12st 11(weekly gain of 2lb) not ran all week & had a week off of being healthy

Edited by Spudders

Motivations:

• Having to start wearing my larger clothing again and can only fit into a few of my work shirts now (a moot point at the moment).

Target Weight: 11st ish (more a case of wanting to get rid of fat and trim up rather than be a specific weight)

Tactics Used: My fitness pal app - target of 1200 calories per day (which will increase as my training gets harder). Runners world marathon training programme for sub 3h finish.

looks pretty incompatible to me actually. You should be losing weight anyway at around 2200 KCals if your programme is set to Sub 3, you should be on not less than 50 miles a week by now including some pretty shattering sessions.

First week loss is mainly water in most cases I believe?

As to why such a small change it could just be down to what you ate the night before. (ah just reread that you know why...)

I always tend (or did before I made Friday one of my fast days) to use Saturday morning as my 'official' weighing time but also weighed myself friday morning as well in case, for example, had a 'heavy' meal friday evening. Would then use the lower of the two readings for my recorded weight.

Also if you have electronic scales might be worth changing to Kg as usually you get a more accurate value as they usually measure to the nearest 100g whereas with pounds and stones you may only get to the nearest pound which is 450g.

Motivations:

Tactics Used: My fitness pal app - target of 1200 calories per day (which will increase as my training gets harder). Runners world marathon training programme for sub 3h finish.

1200 calories is ridiculous mate. You'll have no energy to train. If you were doing no excercise you could maybe get away with it, but if your training for a marathon then you're going to be in trouble if you dont increase your intake.

1200 calories is ridiculous mate. You'll have no energy to train. If you were doing no excercise you could maybe get away with it, but if your training for a marathon then you're going to be in trouble if you dont increase your intake.

As I said. When I was running sub 2.30 marathons and training at about 70/80 miles a week I stuffed myself full of cakes,chocolate, energy boosters and the like all day and every day and I was still dropping kilos.

looks pretty incompatible to me actually. You should be losing weight anyway at around 2200 KCals if your programme is set to Sub 3, you should be on not less than 50 miles a week by now including some pretty shattering sessions.

Yep I'll be upping the calories as I up the training and I am indeed already on about 50 miles a week, I've done it before following the same self inflicted guidlines (previous marathon time was 3h 14m & I could have knocked 10 minutes off that were it not for me starting the race in the wrong place due to a last minute dump that meant I almost missed the start so had to battle my way past everyone as I started near the back instead of pen 2, doh!!!)

First week loss is mainly water in most cases I believe?.......Also if you have electronic scales might be worth changing to Kg as usually you get a more accurate value as they usually measure to the nearest 100g whereas with pounds and stones you may only get to the nearest pound which is 450g.

Totally agree about the first week, my aim is to shift about 4lb a week over the coming weeks. I'm also weighing and tracking in both lbs & kg, just didn't add them here.

Agree, that's just been for the past few weeks, I will up the intake as required, but I'm currently pushing myself and managing it so all is ok so far.

I’m lucky in that although I’ve put on weight over the past 9ish months, I’m still pretty fit underneath (if that makes sense) for example Christmas day I decided I needed to start getting back in shape so went out and ran 13 miles.

My Saturday post weigh in update...

Definitely losing weight on my 4:3 (like 5:2 but an extra days fast a week) as down 1kg on the week and now over half way to my target, though aim of getting there before my birthday looks remote but need another week really to try and get a better idea of rate. Know from last time I dieted that on the same diet amount lost each week reduces as you get closer to goal so though current line is just about pointing towards my goal its almost certainly going to diverge as I get closer.

My Saturday post weigh in update...

What post number are your updates? I've looked through the whole thread three times and can't see it (my observational skills are clearly being impacted by my low calorie intake!)

Just updated my weekly figure (post#108 ) and I'm 6lb down this week which I attribute to last weeks figure probably being a couple of lb out as I'd eaten and had a few beers on the Friday night before last weeks weigh-in). I've trained pretty hard this week running each day and been extremely focused on what I've been eating. As a few of you said earlier in the week my calorie intake was far too low and although it wasn't noticeably impacting my ability to train, I did notice during the daytime towards the end of the week I was struggling to think straight and concentrate at times which I think may have been related.

What post number are your updates? I've looked through the whole thread three times and can't see it (my observational skills are clearly being impacted by my low calorie intake!)

Just updated my weekly figure (post#108 ) and I'm 6lb down this week which I attribute to last weeks figure probably being a couple of lb out as I'd eaten and had a few beers on the Friday night before last weeks weigh-in). I've trained pretty hard this week running each day and been extremely focused on what I've been eating. As a few of you said earlier in the week my calorie intake was far too low and although it wasn't noticeably impacting my ability to train, I did notice during the daytime towards the end of the week I was struggling to think straight and concentrate at times which I think may have been related.

Not really got a post to update. I will add stuff to my first post on this thread

Ultimately long term there is no substitute for generally eating healthy and getting regular exercise, that’s as simple/complicated as it needs to be.

Yes but if you watch the video or read up on it, you will see how the damage you can do in the short term can (and will) affect your ability to lose weight in the long term.

Whats the DUkan diet?

Eat nothing but protein for a spell, removing all vegetables, carbohydrates etc. Then reintroduce vegetables/fruit after a while. I believe that's it in a nutshell.

I worry about the health effects of it, but it certainly does work and quite quickly (something to do with water retention...) A colleague of mine had a go at it, lost 2 stone but complained of feeling constantly tired. He was actually signed off work ill for a while with heart issues shortly after.

Eat nothing but protein for a spell, removing all vegetables, carbohydrates etc. Then reintroduce vegetables/fruit after a while. I believe that's it in a nutshell.

I worry about the health effects of it, but it certainly does work and quite quickly (something to do with water retention...) A colleague of mine had a go at it, lost 2 stone but complained of feeling constantly tired. He was actually signed off work ill for a while with heart issues shortly after.

sounds like a glorifed version of the Adkins diet.Cant be good for you. You need lots of fruit and veg. Carbs fair enough, you can get them from veg if you want to cut down on them.

sounds like a glorifed version of the Adkins diet.Cant be good for you. You need lots of fruit and veg. Carbs fair enough, you can get them from veg if you want to cut down on them.

Well the first phase, which can last up to ten days, is strictly protein with 20 minutes exercise and 1.5l of water at least a day.

The second phase is alternating a day of the above plus vegetables plus 30 mins of exercise, then just the protein again.

Third phase reintroduces carbs including fruit, fourth you do what you want but one protein only day a week.

I agree, anyone on it for a long time could open themselves up to trouble. I think you just need to be sensible. The tiredness thing is if you have a lot of sugar in your diet - i.e. drinking coffee every day. That's not been a problem for me at all.

Interesting article on BMI, especially for those of us on the tall side. Agree's with something I have thought which is that the square in the BMI is bias against taller people. To get to an normal weight using normal BMI I would been to get to about 89kg, with the new BMI calculation is 92kg.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/new-bmi-formula-fatter-article-1.1244317

^ we should all agree that this week doesn't count! I've started a new job and been a bit lazy when I've got home, didn't run all week and ate a load of junk as well so put on 2lbs

I'm going to do two days protein only, resume the alternating diet on Monday - so yeah, this week didn't happen...

I'm going to do two days protein only, resume the alternating diet on Monday - so yeah, this week didn't happen...

Out of interest, when you say 'protein only' what sort of things do you mean? Surely you mean just no carbs, as it's near impossible to eat just protein with no fat (and this wouldn't help weight loss). Even whey protein powder contains fat and carbs.

Out of interest' date=' when you say 'protein only' what sort of things do you mean? Surely you mean just no carbs, as it's near impossible to eat just protein with no fat (and this wouldn't help weight loss). Even whey protein powder contains fat and carbs.[/quote']

You're quite right, typical day for me:

Dukan porridge oats (specially refined oats), so there's some carbs there.

Sliced ham, chicken.

Steak.

A mate of mine is a personal trainer and does a lot of writing for various fitness publications as well, particularly on nutrition. He really knows his stuff.

For anyone interested here is a link to one of his articles on the ideal ratio of carbs: fat: protein for fat loss.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/the-ideal-ratio-of-carbs-and-fat-for-fat-loss-a2487.html

Edited by for_heaven's_Saint

Cool' date=' sounds not dissimilar to my diet in terms of protein but mine has a fair bit more fat and carbs.[/quote']

It does work. A stone lighter, with no craving for carbs and feeling as though I'm a lot more active tells me so.

I think the fact I don't have to measure how much food I'm eating helps too.

Down 1.2kg this week so still just about on track for my target. I have updated the graph on my main post to show current progress but will include it here as well...

weightj.png

The red line was from my last diet about 4 years back, the blue line is the current diet, the purple blob is my target of having a normal (old school) BMI by my birthday. The flat section was Christmas and was almost certainly not flat but did not weigh myself for 3 weeks.

Got used in parts to doing 4:3. On my restricted calories days I can now go through to 7 or 8 in the evening without eating anything. Main problem at the moment is waking up early the following day but intend to try and reduce my caffeine intake on fast days to see if that helps.

Edited by pedg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After injuring my knee and then my back, I've mainly focused on carb loading over the past couple of months in perpetration for the marathon and successfully put back on the stone I lost (I like to challenge myself!). I'd like to postpone my place until next year but if I do it leaves my mate running it on his own (well technically there are thousands of people doing it so not on his own, but ya know what I mean), but I don't see the point in running it with almost no training. Need to decide pretty soon before the cut off.