The Weight Loss Blog...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

My Krav instructor does the warrior diet. He lives his life like it now. It's a really back to basics way of living, the idea being that in ancient times men would be out hunting during the day, eating berries and nuts etc from the land then in the evening they'd eat their kill for the day. In essense during the day you live of fruits and berries and broth then at night you have a two hour window where you can eat what you want within reason so you have all your carbs and proteins then. He is in fantastic shape and ripped to f*ck so it works for him, not sure my lifestyle would enable me to follow it though.

Krav warriors eat soup - who knew? You could adapt it to make it work for your lifetsyle. Chocolate brazils and raisins during the day followed by boiling the neighbours bunny at night.

Muscle does not convert to fat, that is a load of bollo*cks. Quite simply you will have lost some of the muscle that you had when you were training, it sounds like you've carried on eating as much if not More than you did when you were training. If you were doing weights then the protein you ate would feed your muscles and build mass, but if you aren't training now and eating it you'll just pile the pounds of fat on.

Your BMI is also in the obese category. This is dangerous, although if you have trained in the past using weights then it might not be an accurate reflection as you will have retained some muscle mass. Most heavy weight boxers and rugby players would be classed as obese and they are big, fit, strong lads so its only really sensible to use this if you don't train with weights. Fat percentage is a far more accurate way of measuring your fat levels. At your age you should be looking for between 15-19% to be healthy.

My fitness pal is very effective though and as its an app easy to use. Ignore those that say your calorie count is too low, as long as youre eating enough carbs, fruit and veg and proteins and drinking plenty of water, get your calories from the righ sources, not 2 chocloate bars a day or 3 pints and then skipping tea like some do!! you'll be fine but don't go below 1600 a day if you're training though as you'll feel knackered, washed out and likely get colds and bugs as your immune system will be low. 2ib is about the right amount to lose, anymore than that is too much.

Good effort though lad.

Yeah, think you're right, just eaten more and not training as well as quitting rugby last year as well hasn't done me well. Not training again yet, I want to lose weight by cutting down my intake first, so that I don't have to rely on exercise (with a 3 month old it's hard to get out and do much in the way of exercise.

First weigh in tomorrow, so we,all see how I've done.

Yeah, think you're right, just eaten more and not training as well as quitting rugby last year as well hasn't done me well. Not training again yet, I want to lose weight by cutting down my intake first, so that I don't have to rely on exercise (with a 3 month old it's hard to get out and do much in the way of exercise.

First weigh in tomorrow, so we,all see how I've done.

Id recommend buying some fat percentage monitors. You can buy scales that will give you it or a handheld device fairly cheaply and although they are not 100% accurate I tend to find they are a lot more accurate than BMI for people like us. BMI doesn't take into account your build and body shape, muscle mass etc so as I said earlier, things like if you have done or do lots of weights will give you a higher BMI than someone who is fatter but has less muscle, don't forget muscle is 3 times heavier than fat.

On around about Boxing Day I'd found I'd put on six pounds over Christmas, and feeling absolutely disgusted with myself decided to Dukan my way out of trouble.

Been on it since around about the 27th let's say, and as of this morning I've lost ten pounds. I must confess, as there was still a lot of treats left over from Christmas, I had one or two lapses, but the past three days has been 100% protein, with the exception of the Dukan oat bran I'm allowed each day for porridge.

Given the last three days have been me 'properly' on the diet, I'll do the attack phase for another week and then move to the next step. I don't feel hungry which is a sign it's going well.

20 minute walk each day and the odd bit of Wii fit has definitely helped.

If you want figures

48 years old

5'9" tall

10 stone 10 pound

BMI of 24

All been the same since i was 18 years old

Exercise whats that swim with kids and grandkids

life is fun

You've been 48 years old since you were 18 years old, get ta fook, no ways have you?

What I really like about PhilippineSaint is that he never brags.

He's got a long way to go & a lot of games of golf with famous people before he take the forum top spot for the biggest bragger though!

Also to be fair the OP was all about providing figures, the thread has just not really followed the plan :)

He's got a long way to go & a lot of games of golf with famous people before he take the forum top spot for the biggest bragger though!

Also to be fair the OP was all about providing figures, the thread has just not really followed the plan :)

I was providing figures though ?

And no idea how to play golf only ever been to the 19th hole

Edited by PhilippineSaint
spellling

Yeah that was my point. Crazy Dimond was calling you a big head for putting stuff about yourself, but I was saying that you were just doing as the OP asked.

I wouldn't say big head, it was very much in jest :)

I for one am envious of anyone that can stay at 10.10 for the majority of their life, I have to say. With me it was injuries conspiring against me meaning I couldn't get as much as exercise as I used to.

Changed this to be my post to update.

Name: Pedg

Starting Weight: 117.3kg

Target Weight: 88.5kg

Target Date: 19th April

Height: 6ft 2

Tactics Used: Part 1: Calorie Controlled diet using myfitnesspal (target 1.5lb a week) + 2 days fasting (600 cals max).

Part 2: 3 days fasting (600 cals max). Not Calorie counting on non-fast days. Both + 1 hour brisk walking at least 5 days a week.

Part 1 Summary:

Week 1 - Weight: 117.3 kg

Week 10 - Weight: 103.0 kg

Weight Loss Total: 14.3 kg

Weight Lost per week: 1.58kg (9 weeks)

betwixt Part 1 and Part 2 was Christmas and 10 days of flu. I did 1 week unmeasured to get back up to speed...

Part 2: Ongoing:

Week 1 - Weight: 102.9 kg

Week 2 - Weight: 101.9 kg Weight Loss for week: 1 kg

Week 3 - Weight: 101.0 kg Weight Loss for week: 0.9 kg (less loss as less active due to ice on pavements + some very nice blueberry cakes)

Week 4 - Weight: 99.8 kg Weight Loss for week: 1.2 kg

Week 5 - Weight: 98.9 kg Weight Loss for week: 0.9 kg (few glasses of wine on non-fast days probably didn't help)

Week 6 - Weight: 97.5 kg Weight Loss for week: 1.4 kg (suggesting last weeks was probably a bit higher than it was)

Week 7 - Weight: 96.2 kg Weight Loss for week: 1.3 kg

Week 8 - Weight: 95.9 kg Weight Loss for week: 0.3 kg (A leaving do on my friday fast day along with some cake baking for same person did for this week)

Week 9 - Weight: 94.9 kg Weight Loss for week: 1.0 kg

Week 10 - Weight: 94.9 kg Weight Loss for week: 0.0 kg (bad week!)

Week 11 - Weight: 93.9 kg Weight Loss for week: 1.0 kg

Week 12 - Weight: 93.0 kg Weight Loss for week: 0.9 kg

Week 13 - Weight: 92.4 kg Weight Loss for week: 0.6 kg

Original post...

In case its of any interest here is what I did/doing in probably far far too much detail....

Having slowly gone up on the waist size from 34 when I was a uni to 38 (6 foot 2 and not a beanpole 6'2" so 34 about as small as I could feasibly be) in 2008 I got to the point where the 38's were getting a bit tight and I rebelled against going to 40 inch jeans and decided to do something about it. Via a combination of generally cutting back but not specifically calorie counting, cutting out almost all booze and evening sessions on the rowing machine I got down to a 'normal' BMI after about 40 weeks (progress at time is red line on graph below, yellow is the overweight/obese BMI division and green in the overweight/normal BMI division).

Two problems with this: 1) To do it I had to be rather selfish w.r.t. the rest of family about when I was going to do the rowing and 2) after all that time being disciplined on what I ate or drank on basically a daily basis it was hard to continue and I was rather bored of it being something that had to be almost constantly in my mind.

Anyway after 4 year I found myself back at the same weight as before. So this time decided I would try to do things a bit differently. My aim this time was to try to loose the weight quicker and then spend more time trying to get stabilised. This coincided with the horizon on 5:2 and that it was not only good for losing weight but for maintaining the weight loss and other health benefits.

Time I started in late October it was about 6 months before my 50th birthday so decided to set a very challenging target of getting down to a normal BMI by my birthday (on the chart as the grey blob on the green axis).

So what I have decided to do is do a proper calorie counting diet using myfitnesspal to both calculate the calories needed and keep track of what I have eaten and then merged that with a 5:2 diet by adding in 2 fast days a week. Also to try and do at least an hour's very brisk walking 5 or more days a week.

As a fairly long way from my target decided that was probably safe and my plan is to reduce the planned weight loss per week on myfitnesspal as my weight approaches normal.

Once at normal plan to not do calorie counting on non-fast days and see how my weight goes. Then 3 possible scenarios. Best: Find like some people that they need to go to 6:1 to stop losing more weight, Okay: Need to continue on 5:2, Worse: Need to continue on 5:2 and still take care what I eat on the other days.

Anyway the blue line is progress to date. Had planned to stop calorie counting and fast days for a week or so at Christmas but have only just recovering from 10 days of flu which has extended the time before restart fasting and stopped the exercise till recently. Not weighed myself since before Christmas but restarting fasting tomorrow so will check weight on Saturday but suspect my challenging target may be a bit too challenging now!

weightj.png

Edited by pedg
updated

My NY diet was going swimmingly.

Then our @dubaisaints Twitter guru (who works for Heineken) bought the beers at the game last night.. I was doing so well with a Diet 7Up.......

And then today 18 holes of golf was completely undone by free beer.

It'll start tomorrow. I promise to post figures

Something you might be interested in DPS (and anyone else who takes care of their physical appearance). Unused muscle does not turn to fat when left to rot......it does however do just that, rot.

If a well toned man/woman stops training their muscle loses its strength at a staggering 3% per day after the first 3 weeks of not training, not to mention the way it starts to look when this happens.

Disagree, it has everything to do with will power and discipline.

The body may be addicted to all kinds of crap like sugar, fat and salt etc but feed it clean natural food for a period of time the body will begin to respond positively even if it's difficult to begin with.

interesting that you think it is all willpower and discipline.

In my 20's I could lose weight at will and was around the 70kg mark. 30's it started to get more difficult, 40's hard, and now in my 50's it is a real challenge. All the time my weight has crept up and I now weigh somewhere between 85 and 90kg. In my late 40's I was told I was Type 2 diabetic and I went on a real fitness drive. Gym 5 times a week, including personal trainer twice a week. I got down to about 81kg but just couldn't get past that, and then the exercise dropped off as I got disillusioned. I tried again last year and was doing spin or bodypump classes every week day, twice a day (lunchtime and evening), and played golf at the weekends. My food diet is reasonable. I don't eat sweets, chips, I don't do fizzy drinks more than a couple of times a week. I probably drink 3 or 4 beers or glasses of wine a week at most. Probably 2 cups of tea and 1 cup of coffee a day, all with skimmed milk. All my doc says is I need to exercise more. That's fine in your 20's but I just don't have the energy (or inclination!) to spend 2 hours a day exercising. If I look back over the past 15 years (I'm 53 now) I would say I am probably a similar weight now to then, it's just fluctuated 5-10kg during that time (I probably peaked at around 90k about 8 years ago)

what do I try next?

After many years of trying to lose weight, I started the year with the goal of putting on weight. People are rarely sympathetic. Mainly want to put on muscle and not lose any more weight. Too much running and probably not quite enough eating.

What has prompted this Adrian?

I managed to drop 2 stone over the summer in order to get myself into shape for the football season, aswell as add a bit of tone and get myself back to a level of fitness that Ive not really been in for the last few years.

I have had two ACL tears in the last 8 years, coupled with the recovery times and poor NHS diagnosis I had been unable to properly train for ages. I got over the last one, only to make my well deserved comeback.... And tear my hamstring.

I got over the hammy (v hard work), got pre season training and was the most unfit out of the team of 22 confirmed by bleep test, this got my back up and I set myself a target of being in atleast the top 10. I worked like a beast for 6 weeks, looking to put on mainly leg muscle, cardio work and a little top half. I cleaned up my eating, got on the creatine and protien and it all worked wonders. Every night I did a 40 min interval sprint/jog at a 1:1 ratio followed up by weight work alternated each night between upper and lower. In the mornings of 3 days a week I did Plyos and had weekends off.

Eating, just cut out crap, the physio who sorted my hammy also studied to be a nutritionist who basically told me the one mistake people make is look at fat content and cut that out, which doesnt work, its the sugar. So I tasked myself of ignoring the fat and eating less sugary things (its amazing how much sugar is in food !!) What I will say is if your really training then skipping carbs isnt an option, without them I just didnt have the energy to push myself. I changed to wholewheat pasta, salads and a protien and veg. Porridge is a brilliant energy booster for the day too.

Anyways, 6 weeks and I had slimmed noticeably, and come the bleep test was now 3rd in the team, not bad going, it was bloody hard work and the DOMs you get from Plyometrics are easily the worst I have EVER felt but it was worth it. What Id say is if you can give up an hour a day then get down the gym, ignore everyone there and really push yourself. If not then eat healthier, just cut out sugary stuff and try to do 20 mins of HIIT or Plyometrics, you will be laughing.

And set a measurable goal to keep you motivated, its better to have a fitness goal like great south run etc as it makes you get fit and so lose weight IMO

Name: WHITEE1987

Starting Weight: 147.5KG

Target Weight: 101KG

Height: 6ft 5

BMI: 35

Tactics Used: Started off straight away buy cycling my daily commute instead of driving. Totals about 14 miles a day. Changed my diet for a more healthy one. Cut out snacking. Bought the Hairy Bikers diet cook book. Losing more weight per week than the other two blokes dieting at work to win their hard earned money.

Week 1 - Weight: 147.5KG

Week 1 - Weight Lost N/A

Week 20 - Weight: 135KG

Week 20 - Weight Lost this week: 12.5KG

Bit of a gap i know but I have been doing this since September. Been weighing myself every week but couldn't be bothered to fill in every week.

Just completed my first week of losing weight after blowing up over Dec...basically a month of drinking and eating putting on kilos n kilos.

Start weight: 100.9 kilos

After my first week I'm at 97.3 kilos.

Just using a site called sparkpeople to give me a rough idea of my intake and a guide of the amounts to eat...combined with running 3 times a week with a session of indoor footie.

Will get harder to shift weight I know...the first few weeks results are always good.

Just completed my first week of losing weight after blowing up over Dec...basically a month of drinking and eating putting on kilos n kilos.

Start weight: 100.9 kilos

After my first week I'm at 97.3 kilos.

Just using a site called sparkpeople to give me a rough idea of my intake and a guide of the amounts to eat...combined with running 3 times a week with a session of indoor footie.

Will get harder to shift weight I know...the first few weeks results are always good.

3 kilos in a week?! That's nearly half a stone, have you given up eating as well?!!

Pretty much agree with this, but the one thing I’d disagree with is the training hard part. Part of the reason many people fail to shift excess weight is because they train too hard to soon. If you’re in good shape already then yeah I agree, train hard, but if you are a fatso it’s not such good advice.

When the human body needs energy it can get it from two different sources, energy stored as foods/sugars or from your body fat. If the body needs energy quickly it goes to the foods/sugars source as it can access this quickly (this is why energy drinks, bars, etc given an almost instant boost).

Your fat takes the body a bit more time to start burning down and it needs to be more comfortable with the exercise you are doing to allow it to switch to fat burning, push too hard and your body will panic and just take the energy it needs from foods/sugars as it needs a quick source. That’s why on gym equipment the fat burning zone heart rate is lower than the cardiovascular heart rate, you need to push yourself but not to the extent you’re just burning all your energy off rather than body fat. (all just my opinion of course).

According to something I found last week on exercise myths, what I've said above is wrong.

Link here:

http://www.realbuzz.com/articles/top-10-fitness-myths-gb-en/#pagination-top

It says:

Myth - 'You should keep your aerobic exercise intensity low to burn more fat’

Let’s dispel this myth once and for all ... Here are the facts: exercise at a low intensity uses fat as the predominant fuel, while exercising at a high intensity uses mainly carbohydrate. (There’s a continuum between the two, so as exercise gets progressively harder, the amount of carbs used increases and the amount of fat used decreases.) But the trouble is, low intensity exercise doesn’t burn many calories, while tougher workouts burn shedloads. Think of it as two pieces of pie. In the low-intensity pie, a whopping big slice of the calories comes from fat stores. In the high-intensity pie, only a sliver of the calories come from fat stores, but — and this is the crucial bit — the pie is much bigger. So overall, the amount of fat — and calories — burned is higher the harder you work.

After reading that I just want to eat pie

/\ i dont know mate. HIT seems to be all the rage and very fashionable at the moment, ie 15 minutes or so of going at it like a lunatic. they always used to say that the best thing was steady state cardio and that you burnt less fat when you're heart rate was higher, seems to change every few years. End of the day if you do something you'll burn calories and fat. Not much wrong with doing a 30 minute run and a few weights three times a week, you'll burn off 1000-1500 calories doing that, combined with a good diet the weight will drop off you, just remember if you're doing weights you'll build muscle as well, which weighs three times more than fat, so you're weight loss wont be as great as just dieting, but you'll look far more toned and athletic. All this scientic research is all well and good but people get confused, best way is just to have a plan and stick to it.

Yep. Better to just get on with it rather than wasting time reading about miracle weight loss. I've been training again after the 2 weeks off over Xmas. Been running every other day, and doing press ups, sit ups, chin ups and burpees on the days I don't run. Only lost a couple of lbs but that's due to putting muscle back on. Don't get frustrated by what the scales say, the can mirror can be as good when trying to reach goals.

Back from my annual trip to South Africa it was time to shed a few pounds. Play a lot of golf out there but also eat and drink very well.

Starting Weight 86.0 kg

Week 1 84.2kg

Target 77kg

Giving the 5:2 diet a go. Also I find that eating later has an impact on my weight so trying to have my bigger meals earlier in the day. Don't get much opportunity to do exercise in the form of gym etc but will try and change a few lifestyle things such walking instead of taking tube, stairs vs lift and do some crunches, press-ups etc in the evening.

Back from my annual trip to South Africa it was time to shed a few pounds. Play a lot of golf out there but also eat and drink very well.

Starting Weight 86.0 kg

Week 1 84.2kg

Target 77kg

Giving the 5:2 diet a go. Also I find that eating later has an impact on my weight so trying to have my bigger meals earlier in the day. Don't get much opportunity to do exercise in the form of gym etc but will try and change a few lifestyle things such walking instead of taking tube, stairs vs lift and do some crunches, press-ups etc in the evening.

That was part of my problem. Working later, getting home later, eating later, not exercising will all put on the belly fat. The best way to keep healthy is to eat less and move about more. And drink less too.

That was part of my problem. Working later, getting home later, eating later, not exercising will all put on the belly fat. The best way to keep healthy is to eat less and move about more. And drink less too.

Starting Weight 86.0 kg

Week 1 84.2kg

Target 77kg

Strangely the warrior diet that i mentioned above contradicts this. I too had always assumed this was the case too, however in past times man would eat small meals during the day that they'd get from the land whilst out hunting and then gorge himself at night with what they had brought home during the day, although this would be done during a 2 hour window in the evening, this is the basic concept of this diet. The key is making sure what you eat late are the right things, proteins from meat, poultry and fish, fresh veg and so on. Not coming having a big plate of pasta or chips and so on late at night. The people i know and have read about who have followed the warrior diet are in great shape so it's not so much when you eat but what you eat.

Edited by Turkish

I've been on the Dukan diet for a couple of weeks now and I am a pound shy of losing one stone.

I'm into the 'cruise phase' of the diet where I'm permitted vegetables and the weight loss is expected to slow down soon - maybe one or two pounds a week - but I'm still shedding between half and a full pound a day.

I feel better too. The exercise has helped, I'm now doing 30 minutes of brisk walking every day.

Hoping to lose a further 20/21 pounds within the next couple of months.

Strangely the warrior diet that i mentioned above contradicts this. I too had always assumed this was the case too, however in past times man would eat small meals during the day that they'd get from the land whilst out hunting and then gorge himself at night with what they had brought home during the day, although this would be done during a 2 hour window in the evening, this is the basic concept of this diet. The key is making sure what you eat late are the right things, proteins from meat, poultry and fish, fresh veg and so on. Not coming having a big plate of pasta or chips and so on late at night. The people i know and have read about who have followed the warrior diet are in great shape so it's not so much when you eat but what you eat.

Ah, but real cavemen would burn off the calories with subsequent vigorous and extensive nocturnal activities. I think I see where I have been going wrong...

Having now got and read the fast diet book I have decided to change my diet from being a normal calorie controlled diet with 5:2 wedged on top to trying, for a few weeks at least, a 4:3 diet with fast days on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This is closer to the original alternate day fasting that was investigated in the Horizon that started the 5:2 phenomena. Main reason being that studies at the moment show that the loss in muscle that you sometimes get with normal dieting is far less pronounced with fasting and last time when I dieted normally and got down to a normal BMI I was told I looked a bit gaunt. Hopefully by going to 4:3 I will get down to my target weight without looking like a desiccated mummy at the end. Only got back to weighing myself this last Saturday and I was back where I was before Christmas so it will be interesting to see how much I lose this week compared to my previous approach.

I dont agree with this calories late at night malarky, and the old you wont burn it off

The way I see it, a calorie is a calorie whenever you eat it and whenever you burn it off, its the same.

So, if you did a 500 calories burn in the morning and ate 1000 calories at 10 pm your still only storing 500 calories that day.

/\ i dont know mate. HIT seems to be all the rage and very fashionable at the moment, ie 15 minutes or so of going at it like a lunatic. they always used to say that the best thing was steady state cardio and that you burnt less fat when you're heart rate was higher, seems to change every few years. End of the day if you do something you'll burn calories and fat. Not much wrong with doing a 30 minute run and a few weights three times a week, you'll burn off 1000-1500 calories doing that, combined with a good diet the weight will drop off you, just remember if you're doing weights you'll build muscle as well, which weighs three times more than fat, so you're weight loss wont be as great as just dieting, but you'll look far more toned and athletic. All this scientic research is all well and good but people get confused, best way is just to have a plan and stick to it.

RE gaining muscle while losing fat: if you're in a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you eat) then you can't add muscle mass as far as I understand it. Think absolute beginners may see a slight increase in muscle mass when they first start.

RE gaining muscle while losing fat: if you're in a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you eat) then you can't add muscle mass as far as I understand it. Think absolute beginners may see a slight increase in muscle mass when they first start.

Correct. You'll put on a small a mount of muscle in a calorie deficent diet and look more defined, fitter and athletic, youll do this simply by exercising muscles. You can tell the difference between someone who is fit and someone who has just lost weight, obviosuly. but to build muscle you need to train and then eat a high protein diet and because you need more calories it doesn't mean you can eat chips and burgers, it's lots of meats, veg. I know a bloke who got MASSIVE in two years by doing a weights workout then eating two tins of tuna straight after his session and two chicken breast a day in addition to a normal diet. they recommend 1g of protein for every pound of body weight as a minimum to bulk up so that's a fair bit if you're a 15 stone bodybuilder.

Edited by Turkish

Did a weight check last night, out of curiosity. I have fallen from 15 stone last August to 14 stone. Purely as a result of my training for the GSR and ongoing BMF, Weight training and cutting wayyyy down on the lager.

Quite delighted, wasn't aiming for weight loss per sé, just wanted to be fitter but as an obvious side effect... it'll do nicely!