Django Unchained.

Barry Sanchez

Saw this on Sunday, what are peoples opinions of this film? I thought is was awful for many reasons, gratuitous violence, language and the way Tarantino tries to be ever so smart by reversing things ie a German hero, Black lead in a Western.

Deeply disturbing film for me and the way people are talking about it as well as if he has reinvented the wheel.

Why did you like it guys?

I liked it. I ain't bothered bout violence, i can take or leave violence, but it has good dramatic scenes in it like when the house slave Stephen is suspicious on the Djago and there is good dramatic tensions bout this. It went on a good half hour too long tho IMO.

Samuel L Jackson was aces.

Haven`t seen it yet and not sure if I will. It might be just me, but I think that QT is very over-rated.

I'm with you on that.

Thought Inglorious was just silly, and Death Proof is seriously one of the worst films I have ever seen. Felt like they were trying to cobble together a half-arsed story around one stunt.

Really, enjoyed Django though. Easily his best since Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs, in my opinion his best films. In fact I'd put it up there with them.

The violence thing in QT's films I don't see as an issue. Yes there is lots, but I think it's so OTT and silly, that it detracts from it's shock factor - case in point being the final 'shoot-out' in Django (hope that's not a spoiler).

An hour too long, the mandingo fighting scene was appalling and there was no need for that, just designed to shock, its adds nothing to the story at all, his ideas are ideas are wearing thin as well (or his copied ideas), Jackie Brown is still head and shoulders above anything else he has done.

I liked it. I ain't bothered bout violence, i can take or leave violence, but it has good dramatic scenes in it like when the house slave Stephen is suspicious on the Djago and there is good dramatic tensions bout this. It went on a good half hour too long tho IMO.

Samuel L Jackson was aces.

Have to agree with all this Bearsy.

I really enjoyed the dialogue. This really is QT's strong suit for me. His ability to put in lines that are memorable and often hilarious is up there with the best.

Django was a lot funnier than his other films I thought. Parts were pant-wettingly funny (the KKK scene for example).

Jamie Fox & Christoph Waltz were fantastic throughout I thought, was definitely just a bit too long though.

Why did you like it guys?
that is was a great story....and the acting in it (mostly) was excellent....Leo and samuel L Jackson in particular was very good...and gave a sinister side to the slavery trade that never gets mentioned about how some of the africans at the time were just as evil.......have no idea what accent tarrentino was supposed to have though

An hour too long, the mandingo fighting scene was appalling and there was no need for that, just designed to shock, its adds nothing to the story at all, his ideas are ideas are wearing thin as well (or his copied ideas), Jackie Brown is still head and shoulders above anything else he has done.

I think your points here are v fair. I had actually forgotten about that scene, which I guess proves your point regarding what it adds. It was unpleasant to watch.

JB was good, still prefer Pulp Fiction & Ressie Dogs though.

Have to agree with all this Bearsy.

I really enjoyed the dialogue. This really is QT's strong suit for me. His ability to put in lines that are memorable and often hilarious is up there with the best.

Django was a lot funnier than his other films I thought. Parts were pant-wettingly funny (the KKK scene for example).

Jamie Fox & Christoph Waltz were fantastic throughout I thought, was definitely just a bit too long though.

The KKK scene was easily the funniest part of the film and was good.

The KKK scene was easily the funniest part of the film and was good.

oh yer , the KKK scene is a classic. Had everyone LOLing (if thats a word?) . And the scene "say goodbye to Mrs....." Nice one.

Liked the way he made all the cowboys as stupid red-necks. Twist on the usual perception.

I was hoping for bit more of a plot/storyline as apposed to the many prolonged gunfights.

Enjoyed it but not his best.

Talking of the KKK, this is still one of the funniest clips I have ever seen:

I didn't think Django Unchained was awful, but I agree that it wasn't as ground-breaking as QT seems to think it is and I don't think QT is as good as he thinks he is either. He burst onto the scene with some great ideas that made great films; Reservoir Dog, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and True Romance (His script), but somewhere halfway through Kill Bill i got the feeling he was disappearing up his own arse and thought that everything he did was genius. He needs somebody to come in and work on his films with him, pointing out where to rein it in and what to edit out. He could lose a large part of many of his films and they would only be improved. Also, his once famous dialogue has started to just sound odd and out of place.

I didn't mind the violence, because it's a bit of an homage to a certain type of film that embraced that kind of stuff, it was just too long and needed a good bit of editing.

When does homage become blatent rip off and a lack of originality, blaxploitation and sergio leone tributes only go so far, done in a Western setting with a good father figure German and a Black slave/bounty hunterlead is just contrived in my humble.

You spotted the Sergio Leone tribute, and the other part you liked - the dumb KKK cowboys, I thought, looked like a tribute to Blazing Saddles.

I thought the film was very good and the gratuitous violence is just Tarantino, a bit like Pulp Fiction - the kid getting his head blown open in the back of the car or The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
You spotted the Sergio Leone tribute, and the other part you liked - the dumb KKK cowboys, I thought, looked like a tribute to Blazing Saddles.

I thought the film was very good and the gratuitous violence is just Tarantino, a bit like Pulp Fiction - the kid getting his head blown open in the back of the car or The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs.

Saw it at the cinema yesterday and loved it. I also thought about Blazing Saddles when they first ride into town and a local says "A n*gger on a horse?!" :D

I haven't laughed this much at a movie since 'Fear and Loathing', so a thoroughly great experience for me. Revenge is such a powerful engine to a movie ;)

Edited by Lazlo78