Kelvin for England?

Um Bongo

Jan Seems to think so.

JAN Poortvliet believes Kelvin Davis should be a considered for an England call-up.

The head coach was speaking after watching his keeper make another series of fantastic saves to help earn his side a battling 0-0 draw with Charlton at The Valley.

Davis has been arguably the best keeper in the Championship this season and with England still searching for players in that position is not without a chance.

Poortvliet said: “I think he should be in the goal in the English national team.

“He is a very good goalkeeper and has been all season.

“At the right times he is always there and I think in the first half he was outstanding and three or four times he saved us from going a goal down.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/3938081.Kelvin_for_England/

I'm in two minds over comments like these, the first being it's great to talk your players up, believe in them and let them know how highly you rate them. The second is a credibility issue, Kelvin is not international standard and as good as he has been for us this season, is still a way off (IMH) from being considered.

Plymouth away last season he made a couple of amazing saves which drew the saints fans chants of Englands No. 1. Kelvin smiled and shook his head at us all taking it with the comic relief that was intended.

As good as he has been this season I think he knows as much as us in that there are parts of his game he really needs to work on before he is anywhere near dislodging the lanky skate or even robinson.

When he was one of the most consistent midfielder performers in the premiership yes.

Being a top performer in the CCC might get you noticed if you're a youngster, but for an established player whose already struggled in the premiership, it won't get you near the england squad. Rob Green plays well in the prem and doesn't get many chances. Davis is improved, but 5 months good form isn't enough. I like him now and hope he stays with us a few years, but he's no england keeper.

He still was never good enough for England...not by a long shot...

And neither is Davis...still good for his confidence to know his boss believes in him...

England are supposed to pick the best players available at the given time........... so why not give Kelvin a call up to the squad. Not even his fiercest critic could deny he has had anything but a brilliant season so far. His shot stoppoing is second to none, his judgement in coming for crossess and dealing with them has been a vast improvement on last season and he is one of few golkeepers (if not the only one I've seen) who can kick equally well with both feet (more than 90% of outfield players in the premiership can't do that!) He couldn't do wose than Carson did on his debut. Would he let the ball run under his foot like Robinson or come hurtling off his line like a headless chicken as does James? What else could Kelvin do for Saints this season that would make him a better candidate for the job? Perhaps you so called goalkeeping experts who reckon he's not good enough yet could enlighten me. After all, what does our manager know about goalkeeping that you don't know?

England are supposed to pick the best players available at the given time........... so why not give Kelvin a call up to the squad. Not even his fiercest critic could deny he has had anything but a brilliant season so far. His shot stoppoing is second to none, his judgement in coming for crossess and dealing with them has been a vast improvement on last season and he is one of few golkeepers (if not the only one I've seen) who can kick equally well with both feet (more than 90% of outfield players in the premiership can't do that!) He couldn't do wose than Carson did on his debut. make him a better candidate for the ?Would he let the ball run under his foot like Robinson or come hurtling off his line like a headless chicken as does James? What else could Kelvin do for Saints this season that wouldjob Perhaps you so called goalkeeping experts who reckon he's not good enough yet could enlighten me. After all, what does our manager know about goalkeeping that you don't know?

Don't want to get into a slag Davis thread, because he has done brilliantly this season, but i have seen him make those highlighted mistakes.I know i am not a goalkeeping expert, but i do know he is not England class.

I actually thought the same thing on Saturday - some of the saves he made were brilliant and he rarely messes up a clearance off either foot. It was only a year ago that Kelvin had a tirade of abuse hurled at him at Hillsborough. I wasn't sure he'd play for us again after that game...but his form has been consistently excellent since. Hearing him talk after the game, he sounds happy and like a decent guy. Captain as well. Not that I get to too many games, but compared to when he first came here, he now seems to be the leader of the defence, which is so much better than the defence not even trusting him. Made me feel guilty for chanting "England's no 1" at 5-0 down last year!!

I'm really pleased for him, and us, that he's turned things round from last season, especially after the stick he got from some Saints fans at one or two matches. I think the man's got b*lls for having played through that and I hope he gets his just reward. Realistically, I can't see him being selected for England until he demonstrates that he can deal consistently with crosses and dominate his 6 yard box. Perhaps if we didn't crowd the box at corners he'd be able to do that. His save from close range at Charlton when he began to move right and then saved left was quality.

Exactly! Davis, based on this comparison, certainly deserves a run out against Slovakia or Slovenia next year.

I have been a great supporter on here of KD from some really poor attacks on him.Saying that I dont believe he is top international class but a very good keeper that would not be out of place in a good side in the PL.

I actually thought the same thing on Saturday - some of the saves he made were brilliant and he rarely messes up a clearance off either foot. It was only a year ago that Kelvin had a tirade of abuse hurled at him at Hillsborough. I wasn't sure he'd play for us again after that game...but his form has been consistently excellent since. Hearing him talk after the game, he sounds happy and like a decent guy. Captain as well. Not that I get to too many games, but compared to when he first came here, he now seems to be the leader of the defence, which is so much better than the defence not even trusting him. Made me feel guilty for chanting "England's no 1" at 5-0 down last year!!

On the contrary you should feel pride in your ability to spot a potential international!

Why not? Is he really that much worse than Carson or Robinson?

Part of me thinks this, but all of me knows Davis is never going to get an England call up, no matter how good he is for us this season.

He still was never good enough for England...not by a long shot...

And neither is Davis...still good for his confidence to know his boss believes in him...

I would disagree. Oakley was no Steven Gerrard, but he was a key player in a very good Prem team at the time. F**k me, if Jermaine Jenas gets what seems like a lifetime membership, I think we could have found room for Oakley.

Last season Bullard got into the squad after a few decent performances for Fulham and I can't see Man Utd swooping for him in January.

Carson, James, Kirkland, Foster, Hart, Green, Wright, possibly Almunia, Robinson. I make Davis 10th choice, if he's lucky and I'm not forgetting anyone...

Wright can't get in the Ipswich team.

Almunia will never play for England.

Kirkland has asked not to be included in the England setup.

7th choice \o/

Wright can't get in the Ipswich team.

Almunia will never play for England.

Kirkland has asked not to be included in the England setup.

7th choice \o/

I heard Wright is having a great run of form for Ipswich...you may be correct with the other two though...

just because you have issues you cant bear to face the fact that now the majority can see he is a damned good keeper ,and we are fortunate to have him.

I was waiting for you to pop up again, Mrs Davis. Reading down the above thread, see if you can spot a few people who don't think he should play for England. I still don't think he's a 'damned good keeper' but am man enough to admit that one of those saves he made in the last game was - sharp intake of breath - world class. Really excellent. And clearly kept us in the game. So, as a Saints fan, I am happy - although most on here seem to think that the best thing to do when we do well is attack posters like, say, Alpine, rather than celebrate the win or goalless draw or whatever it is has caused them to go all funny at the keyboard. Oh, and by the way, the 'issues' I have include that I still don't think Davis is as good as you salivate about every day with a 'y' in it. I think you might just have to deal with someone having a different opinion to your own.

I was waiting for you to pop up again, Mrs Davis. Reading down the above thread, see if you can spot a few people who don't think he should play for England. I still don't think he's a 'damned good keeper' but am man enough to admit that one of those saves he made in the last game was - sharp intake of breath - world class. Really excellent. And clearly kept us in the game. So, as a Saints fan, I am happy - although most on here seem to think that the best thing to do when we do well is attack posters like, say, Alpine, rather than celebrate the win or goalless draw or whatever it is has caused them to go all funny at the keyboard. Oh, and by the way, the 'issues' I have include that I still don't think Davis is as good as you salivate about every day with a 'y' in it. I think you might just have to deal with someone having a different opinion to your own.
If you read my posts on here you will see I dont salivate about him. Your attacks/criticism were always too far and I am glad that you are big enough to admit he is not all bad.If we meet somewhere in the middle then we both may be closer to the truth.

Jan Seems to think so.

JAN Poortvliet believes Kelvin Davis should be a considered for an England call-up.

The head coach was speaking after watching his keeper make another series of fantastic saves to help earn his side a battling 0-0 draw with Charlton at The Valley.

Davis has been arguably the best keeper in the Championship this season and with England still searching for players in that position is not without a chance.

Poortvliet said: “I think he should be in the goal in the English national team.

“He is a very good goalkeeper and has been all season.

“At the right times he is always there and I think in the first half he was outstanding and three or four times he saved us from going a goal down.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/3938081.Kelvin_for_England/

Great CCC Goalkeeper.......England? ....Have a chat with yourself Jan.