BBC R4 "The last word" - on the life of Ron Davies this Friday

Fitzhugh Fella

Don't know how many on here listen to BBC R4 but at 4pm this Friday on "The Last word" they are planning to do a lengthy (30min) documentary/obituary feature on Ron Davies. I have been asked to record something towards the programme which I am doing on Thursday.

This afternoon I had quite a long chat with Marlene, Ron's sister (he had three sisters and a brother - he was the eldest). They have followed all the tributes on websites etc and are very touched by all of your memories etc. If the club do arrange anything next season like organise a minute's silence or whatever they wish to attend and I said I would keep them posted. So in the meantime grab a radio on Friday afternoon if you want to know a bit more about Ron's life.

Don't know how many on here listen to BBC R4 but at 4pm this Friday on "The Last word" they are planning to do a lengthy (30min) documentary/obituary feature on Ron Davies. I have been asked to record something towards the programme which I am doing on Thursday.

This afternoon I had quite a long chat with Marlene, Ron's sister (he had three sisters and a brother - he was the eldest). They have followed all the tributes on websites etc and are very touched by all of your memories etc. If the club do arrange anything next season like organise a minute's silence or whatever they wish to attend and I said I would keep them posted. So in the meantime grab a radio on Friday afternoon if you want to know a bit more about Ron's life.

Many thanks Fitzhugh, will tune in with pride to celebrate the life of a Saints superstar...

I am very impressed and pleased that they will acknowledge Ron. I do doubt it will be 30 mins, The Last Word is normally a roundup of all notable people who have passed away in the previous week or 2.

Well I asked how long would I be interviewed and she said half an hour. I am not familiar with the programme but she said they are keen to find an obituary with a difference.

Well I asked how long would I be interviewed and she said half an hour. I am not familiar with the programme but she said they are keen to find an obituary with a difference.

The half hour programme (usually very interesting even if you've never previously heard of the deceased person) is normally split between 4 - 6 subjects. Good that they're acknowledging Ron at all, though.

Always listen on a Friday, as it starts on my journey home. As most say, it is a 30 minute program, covering 3-4 diverse individuals who have passed away in the previous week or so. Each usually gets a good 5-10 minutes (depends on how prominent the other featured lives were..) Anyway it will be well researched and well done - look forward to hearing the piece on Ron...

The half hour programme (usually very interesting even if you've never previously heard of the deceased person) is normally split between 4 - 6 subjects. Good that they're acknowledging Ron at all, though.

Thanks for that - will cram in as much as possible, found out yesterday he was the eldest of five and his dad, Tudor was a foreman joiner and a good goalkeeper!

Would be a nice touch if someone recorded it and sent it to his family. Not everyone can access iplayer, especially overseas.

I'll record it, then try to upload it to Rapidshare. Think that should work, they'd just need the link.

I'd assume you're going to be edited down to about 5 minutes - last week they featured six people. Here's the link to last week's programme in case it's of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01snyk1

Thanks for the heads up about it. I know some old friends of Ron and they'll certainly be interested in hearing it, as will I.

Just been informed it has been put back again - I sometimes wonder if it is worth the effort. The family were really looking forward to hearing the programme today.

Bugger! I made a slot in my calendar to listen to this... I'll have to go for the repeat on the Sunday. Thanks for the heads up.