Barnsley 1 Saints 5

Lighthouse

Very good article- written by someone who clearly knows his stuff!

He knows his football but not his weather. It's going to be a lovely warm dry evening - certainly not the archetypal wet Tuesday night in Barnsley.

What, against a Championship side ? Not like we're playing a semi pro team.

Our "reserves"... Do Prado, Cork, K.Davis, S.Davis, Yoshida, Fox, Mayuka, Hooiveld etc should all be good enough to beat Barnsley. They were all important parts of the Championship promotion winning team and/or internationals.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Bottom of championship but take your point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

do we in fact have any reserves ? We have the first team squad, a handful of dissaffected players and the U21s who played yesterday. We'll have to go with quite a few first teamers if we want to be sure of avoiding an ignominious defeat, say 4 or 5 at least.

do we in fact have any reserves ? We have the first team squad, a handful of dissaffected players and the U21s who played yesterday. We'll have to go with quite a few first teamers if we want to be sure of avoiding an ignominious defeat, say 4 or 5 at least.

Do Prado, Cork, K.Davis, S.Davis, Yoshida, Fox, Mayuka, Hooiveld

Theres 7 players that don't start for the first team. Plus you could give Ramirez and Clyne some gametime as they haven't started a match yet. All of them are more than capable to beat a poor Championship side.

Do Prado, Cork, K.Davis, S.Davis, Yoshida, Fox, Mayuka, Hooiveld

Theres 7 players that don't start for the first team. Plus you could give Ramirez and Clyne some gametime as they haven't started a match yet. All of them are more than capable to beat a poor Championship side.

ah but for me those are first team players, it's a squad game as I keep getting told.

ah but for me those are first team players, it's a squad game as I keep getting told.

Depends on your definition of "reserve" then. There isn't a reserve league any more and those 7 players I listed are not first choice.

If it were a Championship match against one of the weakest teams in the league and Saints put out a line-up of...

K.Davis

Clyne

Yoshida

Hooiveld

Fox

Cork

S. Davis

Ramirez

Do Prado

Isgrove

Mayuka

Would you be confident? I would.

A line-up like that should be able to win and leaves our key players fresh for Saturday.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Depends on your definition of "reserve then". There isn't a reserve league any more and those players are not first choice.

If it were a Championship match against one of the weakest teams in the league and Saints put out a line-up of...

K.Davis

Clyne

Yoshida

Hooiveld

Fox

Cork

S. Davis

Ramirez

Do Prado

Isgrove

Mayuka

A line-up like that should be able to win and leaves our key players fresh for Saturday.

Swap Mayuka for Osvaldo, I think he may play but either way it should be beating a poor NPC side

Swap Mayuka for Osvaldo

What would Pochettino gain from playing Osvaldo if he is already match fit? If he isn't playing with other first team players (Lambert, Lallana, Wanyama etc) it isn't helping him to gel with them by playing him with the back up players (Do Prado, Cork, Davis etc). It'll just mean he'll miss training sessions with those playing on Saturday.

(he'll probably start tonight now I've said that :D)

Depends on your definition of "reserve then". There isn't a reserve league any more and those 7 players I listed are not first choice.

K.Davis

Clyne

Yoshida

Hooiveld

Fox

Cork

S. Davis

Ramirez

Do Prado

Isgrove

Mayuka

Any one of those players may be needed to replace an injured current starter at any time in the next 2/3 weeks.

It would be stupid NOT to give them the chance of game time and most of them played pretty much together as a team in pre-season.

It's a big difference from last year or the year before when our "non-starters included the likes of SDR, Chappers, and the like.

Pack the bench with star names just in case.

Sorted

Our "reserves"... Do Prado, Cork, K.Davis, S.Davis, Yoshida, Fox, Mayuka, Hooiveld etc should all be good enough to beat Barnsley. They were all important parts of the Championship promotion winning team and/or internationals.

I wouldn't class those players as reserves, they are part of the first team and warm the bench for us. Reserves to me are our players that won't be getting a look in the first team.

I wouldn't class those players as reserves, they are part of the first team and warm the bench for us. Reserves to me are our players that won't be getting a look in the first team.

which is exactly how I see a reserve, traditionalism really i suppose, when you read in the Echo that Sid Bloggs was going to be promoted from the reserves to the first team as a replacement for Joe Super who'd scored 90 already this season your heart sank

and you did not look forward to Sat afty as much as usual. We had quite a few of those at Saints, scored shedloads in the reserves but were totally useless in the first team, what was the name of that fellamelad Les something or other. Harwood perhaps

You are making up your own definition for "reserves" then, as there is no reserve league anymore. As football now allows for 7 subs, those that would have played reserve team football in the past are now on the subs bench for the first team.

You are making up your own definition for "reserves" then, as there is no reserve league anymore. As football now allows for 7 subs, those that would have played reserve team football in the past are now on the subs bench for the first team.

I guess I would have to call reserves the under 21s then as no more reserve leagues, we must have so many in our squad that must be fed up with not playing.

Leave any possible injury concerns out and get the job done in the 1st half, 2-3 goals up then make the subs.

What is it about a team like this that makes you think they couldn't beat one of the weakest Championship sides?

K.Davis

Clyne

Yoshida

Hooiveld

Fox

Cork

S. Davis

Ramirez

Do Prado

Isgrove

Mayuka

What is it about a team like this that makes you think they couldn't beat one of the weakest Championship sides?

Not saying they couldn't but just look at Cardiff beating Man City, anything can happen, here goes anyways.

K.Davis - great in the past for us, near post Nottage

Clyne - no probs

Yoshida - not fully fit, maybe rusty ?

Hooiveld - Not played much, rusty ?

Fox - probably about him level so ok.

Cork - no probs

S. Davis - no probs

Ramirez - not that great away so as he's only bit of flair / quality in the side wouldn't want to rely on him

Do Prado - No probs

Isgrove - not seen enough of him but not played either of the 1st 2 games so obviously not that highly thought of

Mayuka - no probs

What would Pochettino gain from playing Osvaldo if he is already match fit? If he isn't playing with other first team players (Lambert, Lallana, Wanyama etc) it isn't helping him to gel with them by playing him with the back up players (Do Prado, Cork, Davis etc). It'll just mean he'll miss training sessions with those playing on Saturday.

(he'll probably start tonight now I've said that :D)

I can actually see your logic in this FWIW. ;)

I think out of my own greed I want to see more of him and get him off the mark, it really woukdnt surprise me if this game figures more of a mix of 1st and reserve players.

For instance, I reckon we will see Osvaldo, Ramirez, Cork, Lovren, Clyne and possibly J Rod playing in this.

I have a suspicion that the cups will be important to Poch this year.

I think out of my own greed I want to see more of him and get him off the mark, it really woukdnt surprise me if this game figures more of a mix of 1st and reserve players.

For instance, I reckon we will see Osvaldo, Ramirez, Cork, Lovren, Clyne and possibly J Rod playing in this.

Would be very surprised if we risk an injury to Osvaldo by playing him tonight

Would be very surprised if we risk an injury to Osvaldo by playing him tonight

It seems an unnecessary inconvenience to go through the quaint olde world formality of actually playing the game. Pretty arrogant of Barnsley to drag us halfway across the country, when they could just do the decent thing and withdraw.

Not saying they couldn't but just look at Cardiff beating Man City, anything can happen, here goes anyways.

K.Davis - great in the past for us, near post Nottage

Clyne - no probs

Yoshida - not fully fit, maybe rusty ?

Hooiveld - Not played much, rusty ?

Fox - probably about him level so ok.

Cork - no probs

S. Davis - no probs

Ramirez - not that great away so as he's only bit of flair / quality in the side wouldn't want to rely on him

Do Prado - No probs

Isgrove - not seen enough of him but not played either of the 1st 2 games so obviously not that highly thought of

Mayuka - no probs

I think this team should play, rather have a junior team scrape a win than risk the big boys for an easier victory, if we lose its the league cup; more important games to come

We were **** at Leeds last year, men against rent boys.

I know, I went atrocious, reminded me of the capitulation against Fulham in the LC when they were in the 3rd division and we were in the PL or Rotherham where Bart put on one of the worst displays ever seen by a Saints keeper, Forecast included.