Barnsley 1 Saints 5

Lighthouse

So Barnsley are better than Leeds and the Southampton squad is now weaker than last season?

Barnsley will potentially field a full strength side, up for a game at Home.

We will potentially field a side, half and half. With some players that have no real game time this year and some possibly tired.

Its not clear cut as people are making out but yes, we should have enough, though Im going to stick my neck out and say if we field just reserves we will struggle.

4 or 5 at least sounds hopeful then.

Depends what he means by "first teamer". If it includes, Yoshida, Cork, S Davis, Clyne, Fox, Guly etc... then that is what everyone expects anyway.

Basically, the senior pros who haven't played much plus Isgrove, Rowe, Stephens...

If it is, for example,

Clyne - Hooiveld - Yoshi - Fox

Cork - Davis

Isgrove - Guly - Rowe

Mayuka

That should be good enough to dispatch Barnsley - the defence and midfield is largely Premier League quality players and we will have loads of pace upfront. Barnsely are one of the worst teams in that division and have been dicing with relegation for a few years.

I don't often agree with Glasgow but on this i do. Have a bit of respect for the opposition, this is chance for them to forget about the league and dump a Premiership side out of the cup, they will be up for this and if we approach the game anywhere near like most on here then we will be coming home with our tails between our legs!!

Some really disrepectful posts about Barnsley..... Hope mopo isnt approaching game with similar attitude

#outofcupagain

The worst ones are people like VMAN and Windows saying we're gonna leave 6-7 at home and take on Barnsley with just 4 or 5 players. Complacent.

Some really disrepectful posts about Barnsley.

I don't often agree with Glasgow but on this i do.

What was said that is disrespectful about Barnsley?

Simply saying a team with Yoshida, Cork, S.Davis, Hooiveld, Fox, Do Prado, Mayuka etc should be able to beat them and that Leeds are stronger than them is not disrespectful.

Some sense i suppose. An 11 including Guly n Fox is weaker than a team of 9 without :lol:

Classic Guly and Fox

Fox and Do Prado are good Championship level players that played an important role in a promotion from that league with Saints. They should be more than capable of putting in a good performance against one of the weakest Championship sides if used tonight.

Hooiveld should be good enough to beat Barnsley.

capable to beat a poor Championship side.

match against one of the weakest teams in the league.

beat one of the weakest Championship sides

Leeds are better than Barnsley.

Barnsley are better than Leeds

Mayuka etc should be able to beat them.

one of the weakest Championship sides

Egg on face???

Confused.com are Barnsley better than Leeds?

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

Egg on face???

Why is any of that "disrespectful"? Barnsley finished last season in 21st place and have had a poor start to this season. Why is it then unreasonable to call them one of the weakest sides in the Championship? Hooiveld, Cork, Do Prado, Fox, K.Davis played an important part in a Championship promotion team and some of them an important part for a Premier League side last season, Yoshida, S.Davis played important roles in Saints Premier League season last year, Mayuka is an international - why is it then unreasonable to expect those players to be able to beat a poor Championship side?

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFC team to face @bfc_official: K. Davis ©, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Fox, Cork, S. Davis, Isgrove, Ram?rez, Rodriguez.

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFC substitutes vs @bfc_official: Gazzaniga (GK), Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Stephens, Rowe, Reed, Sinclair.

and the source stream for these would be ? If the game isn't televised anywhere streams are hard to come by.

As far as I can see you can watch Liverpool or Newcastle and nobody else.

Type Barnsley vs Southampton into Google and there are pages of live streaming but doubt any work. Only the one I posted seems to link up correctly but will they work we shall only know at the time. Radio commentaries are free for Carling and FA Cup games.

K. Davis ©, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Fox, Cork, S. Davis, Isgrove, Ramírez, Rodriguez. Mayuka

Subs: Gazzaniga (GK), Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Stephens, Rowe, Reed, Sinclair.

Some telling omissions from that team. No Guly or Hooiveld in the squad at all would have guessed they would have at least been on the bench.

K. Davis ©, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Fox, Cork, S. Davis, Isgrove, Ramírez, Rodriguez.

Subs: Gazzaniga (GK), Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Stephens, Rowe, Reed, Sinclair.

Some telling omissions from that team. No Guly, Hooiveld or Mayuka in the squad at all would have guessed they would have at least been on the bench.

Mayuka is starting.

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFC team to face @bfc_official: K. Davis ©, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Fox, Cork, S. Davis, Isgrove, Ram?rez, Rodriguez.

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFC substitutes vs @bfc_official: Gazzaniga (GK), Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Stephens, Rowe, Reed, Sinclair.

are we serious playing with 10 men?

Wow THAT is REALLY disrespectful to Barnsley.

Only naming 10 players

:rolleyes:

Quite surprised to see Fonte being put in there; and especially no Hooiveld in the squad. The latter leads to the former, I guess. And echo the Guly comments; most odd. I did notice that on Saturday he was sat outside the players' box fiddling with his phone for most of the game and looking disinterested. Understandable really.

A decent line-up though, and hopefully the young-uns can get a decent run out. Might also be an opportunity to try Rodrigues in a slightly different and more central role than he gets in the first team.

Correction...

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFC team vs @bfc_official: K. Davis ©, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Fox, Cork, S. Davis, Isgrove, Ram?rez, Rodriguez, Mayuka.

Every outfield player either international or U21 international?

Think, from memory, 5 U21 internationals, 3 full internationals, 2 full international captains.