Barnsley 1 Saints 5

Lighthouse

If there's a form team in English football at the moment, then Barnsley isn't it. 4 League games, 1 point, 12 goals conceded, bottom of the Championship. They scraped through the first round on penalties after a 0-0 draw at home to Sc*nthorpe. Today they let in 5 goals at Blackburn.

So having said all that, I think we will lose 1-0.

What team would you pick? I'd give the new lads (I include Chambers in that) a decent run out with no real pressure on them.

Davis

Chambers - Yoshi - Lovren - Fox

Cork Wanyama

Guly - Gaston - Lallana

Osvaldo

That SHOULD be enough to get the result.

Nothing gained in asking Osvaldo to start in a reserve side.

Yes I wouldn't have Osvaldo playing. Would rather he was ready for Norwich next than have to play this. Whilst I want us to have a good run in the cups we should be able to win without him

Nothing gained in asking Osvaldo to start in a reserve side.

Hardly a reserve team. Players like Gaston, Lallana, Cork, Wanyama etc. are all going to have a big role in our first team at some point this season. It's not like we will be playing the U18 squad plus Ossie up at Oakwell.

Yes I wouldn't have Osvaldo playing. Would rather he was ready for Norwich next than have to play this. Whilst I want us to have a good run in the cups we should be able to win without him

I would argue he will be more ready for Norwich if he gets 60 minutes under his belt in a decent away game. It's hardly going to knacker him out.

Hardly a reserve team. Players like Gaston, Lallana, Cork, Wanyama etc. are all going to have a big role in our first team at some point this season. It's not like we will be playing the U18 squad plus Ossie up at Oakwell.

I would argue he will be more ready for Norwich if he gets 60 minutes under his belt in a decent away game. It's hardly going to knacker him out.

Not worried about him being knackered just don't want him getting injured

Kelvin

Clyne

Maya

Jos

Fox

Cork

Morgan

Guly

S Davis

Isgrove

Mayuka

Subs:

Gazza

Turnbull

Gaston

Rowe

Osvaldo

(I think it is only 5 subs, but, if 7 - add: Stephens, Gape)

If that isn't enough to win we will have real problems in the league this season.

Kelvin

Clyne

Maya

Jos

Fox

Cork

Morgan

Guly

S Davis

Isgrove

Mayuka

Subs:

Gazza

Turnbull

Gaston

Rowe

Osvaldo

If that isn't enough to win we will have real problems in the league this season.

no where near enough up front

Not worried about him being knackered just don't want him getting injured

The alternative being Lambert getting injured. Without one of those two leading the line I doubt we will be have enough to get the job done, even against a team line Barnsley. Remember last season when De Ridder, Mayuka and Lee failed to get a shot on target at Leeds.

The alternative being Lambert getting injured. Without one of those two leading the line I doubt we will be have enough to get the job done, even against a team line Barnsley. Remember last season when De Ridder, Mayuka and Lee failed to get a shot on target at Leeds.

I guess. Actually Lambert was injured towards end of game so I suppose Osvaldo will have to play some part.

no where near enough up front

In your opinion.

Against Barnsley, I think it is.

If any of those forwards cannot score against Barnsley they have no place in our (or any Championship) squad. Guly was good enough in the Championship; Mayuka should be. Plus, I have put Osvaldo on the bench. Do you not think HE is good enough to score against Barnsley should he be required to come off the bench??

In your opinion.

Against Barnsley, I think it is.

If any of those forwards cannot score against Barnsley they have no place in our (or any Championship) squad. Guly was good enough in the Championship; Mayuka should be. Plus, I have put Osvaldo on the bench. Do you not think HE is good enough to score against Barnsley should he be required to come off the bench??

that is probably weaker going forward than when we played them in the NPC

Team when we played them, and beat them 1-0 at Oakwell 2 years ago (13 Aug 2011):

Kelvin, Richardson, Harding, Seaborne, Fonte, Hammond, Cork, Guly (Chaplow 70, s/o 84) , Lallana (Morgan 87), Lambert, Connolly (De Ridder 82)

Unused subs: Bart, Martin

Connolly scored the winner on 30 mins.

Team when we played them, and beat them 1-0 at Oakwell 2 years ago (13 Aug 2011):

Kelvin, Richardson, Harding, Seaborne, Fonte, Hammond, Cork, Guly (Chaplow 70, s/o 84) , Lallana (Morgan 87), Lambert, Connolly (De Ridder 82)

Connolly scored the winner on 30 mins.

exactly

your front 3 would hardly grace a decent NPC team

exactly

your front 3 would hardly grace a decent NPC team

Yet should still be enough to beat a team bottom of the same division. (Oh, and it's a front 4.)

And I do note that you declined to answer my question re Osvaldo. Also, I guess then that, IYO, Guly, Mayuka, Isgrove and S Davis should all be cast aside ASAP? If they are not good enough to play against a team bottom of the Championship then they certainly shouldn't be in a PL squad.

Buck up Jamie!!

my team

Davis

Clyne

Hooiveld

Yoshida

Fox

Morgan

Cork

Guly

Ramirez

Lallana

Osvaldo

Gazza

Chambers

Fonte

davis

mayuka

rodriguez

isgrove

You really think we need all that fire power to beat a team bottom of the Champ, who conceded 5 today?

If we are serious about the cup, let's play a decent side. As Swansea and Bradford have shown in recent years, if you're positive and confident in the cups you can go far. Sod all this 'weakened' team crap, let's go for it with the strongest side we can put out. Scare the living daylights out of Barnsley.

K Davis

Clyne

Yoshida

Hooiveld

Fox

Cork

S Davis

Mayuka

Ramirez

Isgrove

Guly

Between them Cork, Mayuka and Guly haven't scored in their last 120 games. Isgrove is very raw. Gaston... away from home...

I wouldn't bet on that side beating even Barnsley.

I hope you're not selected for random drug testing on Monday.

why, we have not scored from open play this season.

as we see every year in the cups, (we did it ourselves a few years back)

prem team will get bloody noses in the early rounds.

we played an equally weak to like you suggested last year and got thrashed away to an NPC side

What's the point in putting the first team out?

Davis

Chambers Yoshi Hooiveld Fox

Cork Davis

Mayuka Ramirez Isgrove

Guly

Would me my selection. Can't see any point to starting any first-teamers (apart from Chambers) to be honest, best let the team rest after the hard-earned point today.

What's the point in putting the first team out?

Davis

Chambers Yoshi Hooiveld Fox

Cork Davis

Mayuka Ramirez Isgrove

Guly

Would me my selection. Can't see any point to starting any first-teamers (apart from Chambers) to be honest, best let the team rest after the hard-earned point today.

to progress?

why, we have not scored from open play this season.

as we see every year in the cups, (we did it ourselves a few years back)

prem team will get bloody noses in the early rounds.

we played an equally weak to like you suggested last year and got thrashed away to an NPC side

Why? Because you don't deserve a dishonourable discharge.

Leeds of last season were far better than Barnsley are now. The let's compare that team to the one I have suggested:

GK: Kelvin for both

RB vs Leeds: Butterfield - Clyne is better

LB vs Leeds: Reeves - Fox is better

CBs vs Leeds: Jos (same as I suggest) Seaborne - Maya is better

HMFs vs Leeds: JWP and Chaplow - Cork and Morgan, IMO, far better

AMFs vs Leeds: De Ridder, Guly, Lee - Guly (same) - Isgrove and S Davis an improvement, IMO

Fwd: Mayuka - same as, except now 1 year more experienced

Subs s Leeds: Gazza (same), Stephens (same), Shaw, Chambers, Sinclair, Hoskins, Isgrove - the last 5 not quite as good as my Gape, Rowe, Turnbull, Gaston and Osvaldo (IMO) largely due to the last 2.

So, my team is superior to that which lost to a vastly superior opposition last season. Ergo, should be good enough to win this, whilst not risking too many first teamers who we will need to get a result against Norwich next Saturday.

Kelvin

Clyne

Maya

Jos

Fox

Cork

Morgan

Guly

S Davis

Isgrove

Mayuka

Subs:

Gazza

Turnbull

Gaston

Rowe

Osvaldo

Too many changes, on paper that side should be good enough but that combination of players just aren't used to playing together. I'd keep a fairly consistent spine.

I would love to see Isgrove in this one and see what he truly has to offer. Before Puncheon left, I thought we are an attacking midfielder light, and now he's gone I think we're two AM's light, but this is Isgrove's chance to show he can be the answer for one of those AM spots. For the other, hopefully Pochettino and Cortese still have an ace up their sleeve.

Can there be any result other than a Saints win here? Well sure, which is why I hope we don't make wholesale changes. Something like:

Davis

Chambers Fonte Yoshida Clyne

Morgan Cork

Isgrove Davis JRod

Lambert

Subs: Gazzaniga, Jos, Fox, Wanyama, Ramirez, Lallana, Mayuka.

Do we include Osvaldo or give him another full week working on training with his new teammates? Coming up with a team for this shows we're starting to have a good squad. Resting everyone who started today, our team would be:

Davis

Clyne Yoshida Hooiveld Fox

Cork Davis

Isgrove Ramirez Guly

Osvaldo

which would beat most sides in the Championship IMO. (Isgrove's unknown contribution aside...) I think we'll see a team more akin the the former than the latter though.

Kelvin or Gazza

Clyne (for match fitness)

Maya (game time)

Fonte (would have put in Jos, but I get the shivers just thinking about Fox and Jos together)

Fox (no point risking Shaw)

Cork (game time)

Davis (game time)

Isgrove (opportunity to shine)

JWP

Rodriguez

Guly (when else are we going to play him?)

Subs Gazza/Kelvin Hooiveld Rowe Chambers Mayuka if 5 subs, add Sinclair & Stephens if 7

It may be predominantly a 2nd string side, but we need to have depth of squad and if they can't beat Barnsley (no disrespect intended) then some decisions need to be made on their future.

I don't think a wet night in Barnsley is the place to risk Ramirez or Osvaldo, and don't want to run the risk of unnecessary yellow/red cards for them either. A week on the training pitch, to see them/SRL/Lallana gaining a better understanding together would be more beneficial. Plus, to be honest, if we're going to concentrate on a cup this year, I would prefer the FA Cup as there is the additional prize of a european place at stake.

Kelvin or Gazza

Clyne (for match fitness)

Maya (game time)

Fonte (would have put in Jos, but I get the shivers just thinking about Fox and Jos together)

Fox (no point risking Shaw)

Cork (game time)

Davis (game time)

Isgrove (opportunity to shine)

JWP

Rodriguez

Guly (when else are we going to play him?)

Subs Gazza/Kelvin Hooiveld Rowe Chambers Mayuka if 5 subs, add Sinclair & Stephens if 7

It may be predominantly a 2nd string side, but we need to have depth of squad and if they can't beat Barnsley (no disrespect intended) then some decisions need to be made on their future.

I don't think a wet night in Barnsley is the place to risk Ramirez or Osvaldo, and don't want to run the risk of unnecessary yellow/red cards for them either. A week on the training pitch, to see them/SRL/Lallana gaining a better understanding together would be more beneficial. Plus, to be honest, if we're going to concentrate on a cup this year, I would prefer the FA Cup as there is the additional prize of a european place at stake.

If you win the League Cup, you also get a European place.

Connolly scored the winner on 30 mins.[/quote

....that's the answer then.....

get Connolly back on loan from Pompey, as he seems to be scoring goals there ..