iPhone 5s

Batman

Plants vs Zombies 2 for Droid is done and already out in China. Hits the rest of the world very soon. On a wider level, can honestly say that I haven't missed the iOS exclusives.

The stuff that you genuinely won't get on Android is Apple's own, such as GarageBand, but even that is a toy compared to the version on Macs.

If the iPhone isn't the best, why does it seem to be the phone that all over phones are compared to?

Because 6 years ago Apple re-invented the mobile phone market, and people expect them to continue to innovate. The fact their massive initial market share has plummeted since everyone else started doing what they did better and cheaper is indicative that there are better products out there.

I'd have never settled on my iPhone 3GS, knowing iOS updates would render it out of date and that iPhone users are a bit sniffy about old versions, but I'm happy to stick with a 4.0 Android indefinitely. My phone use has barely changed in the past 6 years other than playing fewer games, so I can only put it down to the phone configurability and the various options for launchers, etc which exploit the functionality beyond what it could originally do.

Edited by The9

Because 6 years ago Apple re-invented the mobile phone market, and people expect them to continue to innovate. The fact their massive initial market share has plummeted since everyone else started doing what they did better and cheaper is indicative that there are better products out there.

You are certainly correct that Apple changed the world of mobile phones with the iPhone; just like they changed the world of computing with the original Macintosh computer, the world of music with the iPod, the world of tablet computing with the iPad, the world of accessibility with iTunes/App Store etc.

Once you've invented a whole new genre of device - like the iPhone - what can you do, apart from improve specs, change the design, add some features or improve the OS and software? Each new release of an iPhone is still an iPhone - what exactly are people expecting a new iPhone to do?!

The iPhone 5S is clearly the phone that others have to beat. Yes, the fingerprint ID might seem gimmicky, but is a huge integrated advance in security; iOS7, likewise, has security built in that will render the stolen iPhone market virtually useless. But, for me, the iPhone 5S camera, with it's lens, combined with the devices processing power and camera software is THE big thing. The 5S camera is going to be capturing and processing photos like no other 'phone' or point and shoot digital camera can.

One thing that always makes me laugh when people try to compare an iPhone with an Android or some other generic device, is that the iPhone is just a cog in the whole Apple ecosphere. If you have owned just an iPhone and (for example) not an Apple TV, Mac, iPad, Airport device etc., then you HAVE NOT had the Apple experience. What you have had is just a standalone taste of an Apple device without understanding where it fits in or what it can do. If you fall into this category and switch to a cheaper Android device, you will probably put up with screen lag, itty bitty apps that don't integrate with each other seamlessly, tons of menus that you just put up with and suchlike.

What you haven't experienced is (for example) the effortless way you can add a bookmark in Safari or a book, take a photo or shoot video, add or delete a calendar event, send an iMessage, play a game, start watching a movie or write/edit a document on your iPhone and have your iPad, Mac or Apple TV instantly update to the same state or position you went to on the iPhone. You haven't AirPlayed photos and video from your iPhone to your Apple TV connected TV. You haven't played your iPhone music through speakers somewhere in your house using an AirPort Express, you haven't controlled your TV, Apple TV or Mac with Rowmote.

I have bought into the whole Apple ecosphere because it works, it's stylish, it's easy, no virus worries and products are well designed and built. Because Apple control the hardware and software, everything is designed to work together. This can NEVER happen on Android, because Google has licensed their operating system to be used on any device made by a whole host of hardware manufacturers and mobile network operators, who each tweak, modify, disable functions or add bloatware to different devices for their own gain. For me, there is no way I would even contemplate an Android device because no Android device will do what I want it to do.

The bottom line is: If you just use your handset as a standalone device, you can go ahead and make your choice between an iPhone or A.N.Other device and put up with the foibles of each device. But, if someone has never had the full and proper iPhone or Apple experience, slating the iPhone as a device or saying Android has overtake it, says more about their ignorance than the devices.

I have to say,since purchasing my iPhone and iPad and linked it it via iCloud to my laptop,the whole package has been brilliant.

I'm a technophobe,but my Apple devices have been fantastic,just syncing my iPod and all things apple to all and sundry is so easy.

my photos of my son go from phone to iPad to laptop,ect.without fannying about.

everything seems so intuitive,responsive and simple.

at my age I want something,simple to use,and Apple,thus far ticks the boxes.

I don't know what the other competitors have to offer,maybe it's better,but thus far....they have not done enough to grab my attention,or warrant my money.

I have to say,since purchasing my iPhone and iPad and linked it it via iCloud to my laptop,the whole package has been brilliant.

I'm a technophobe,but my Apple devices have been fantastic,just syncing my iPod and all things apple to all and sundry is so easy.

my photos of my son go from phone to iPad to laptop,ect.without fannying about.

everything seems so intuitive,responsive and simple.

at my age I want something,simple to use,and Apple,thus far ticks the boxes.

I don't know what the other competitors have to offer,maybe it's better,but thus far....they have not done enough to grab my attention,or warrant my money.

Well my nexus 7, laptop and s4 does exactly the same thing with Dropbox installed. I can also send photos video and YouTube videos to my TV via the raspberry pi and control it with my tablet and phone. My s4 also allows me to control my music, my tivo box and my old Sony television so no need for a remote anymore. I can play music anywhere in the house and control it with all three using Spotify and my sonos player. As an apple user would say it 'just works'.

Edited by hypochondriac

Oh and one of my favourite bits is that I have 2 Bluetooth controllers so I can hook my phone up to my TV via hdmi and then play my favourite playstation, n64, neo geo, mega drive, game boy and even ds games with my mate or just play them when commuting without rubbish touchscreen controls that have never been better than a physical controller.

I can understand fellow saints fans arguing over managerial decisions, tactics, players abilities etc, but I really can't understand why people argue about whose telephone is better than someone else's. I read tech blogs and the comments sections give me a headache and make me want to take a shower. Bizarre.

Any arguments only tend to come from those who can't work out that there is no such thing as 'better' in this discussion... there are just different solutions for different needs and taste and budgets. Each to their own. I will make suggestions to others based on my Android experiences, others will make recommendations based on their knowledge of iPhone, and those making the choice just have to go out and work out which best fits their need. Getting into arguments about it is, frankly, bizarre, but then the same happens about cars and computers and even clothes and shoes and other purely subjective stuff. Twas ever thus and will always be whilst there are thick ***ts in the world.

Any arguments only tend to come from those who can't work out that there is no such thing as 'better' in this discussion... there are just different solutions for different needs and taste and budgets. Each to their own. I will make suggestions to others based on my Android experiences, others will make recommendations based on their knowledge of iPhone, and those making the choice just have to go out and work out which best fits their need. Getting into arguments about it is, frankly, bizarre, but then the same happens about cars and computers and even clothes and shoes and other purely subjective stuff. Twas ever thus and will always be whilst there are thick ***ts in the world.

Agree it's up to people what they waste their money on.mind you I find it sad when people que up for games or phones .:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

For those who have just upgraded to the new iOS, what are the impressions?

Looks good to me, and delighted that at last I can access bluetooth/wifi/aircraft mode settings with just one swipe. A glaring omission that had been present on my S3 that has now been rectified.

It looks contemporary and up to date, sadly my work calendar no longer syncs with it. Hopefully our central IT in Germany can find a work around. There will be further tricks to find i'm sure.

You are certainly correct that Apple changed the world of mobile phones with the iPhone; just like they changed the world of computing with the original Macintosh computer, the world of music with the iPod, the world of tablet computing with the iPad, the world of accessibility with iTunes/App Store etc.

Once you've invented a whole new genre of device - like the iPhone - what can you do, apart from improve specs, change the design, add some features or improve the OS and software? Each new release of an iPhone is still an iPhone - what exactly are people expecting a new iPhone to do?!

The iPhone 5S is clearly the phone that others have to beat. Yes, the fingerprint ID might seem gimmicky, but is a huge integrated advance in security; iOS7, likewise, has security built in that will render the stolen iPhone market virtually useless. But, for me, the iPhone 5S camera, with it's lens, combined with the devices processing power and camera software is THE big thing. The 5S camera is going to be capturing and processing photos like no other 'phone' or point and shoot digital camera can.

One thing that always makes me laugh when people try to compare an iPhone with an Android or some other generic device, is that the iPhone is just a cog in the whole Apple ecosphere. If you have owned just an iPhone and (for example) not an Apple TV, Mac, iPad, Airport device etc., then you HAVE NOT had the Apple experience. What you have had is just a standalone taste of an Apple device without understanding where it fits in or what it can do. If you fall into this category and switch to a cheaper Android device, you will probably put up with screen lag, itty bitty apps that don't integrate with each other seamlessly, tons of menus that you just put up with and suchlike.

What you haven't experienced is (for example) the effortless way you can add a bookmark in Safari or a book, take a photo or shoot video, add or delete a calendar event, send an iMessage, play a game, start watching a movie or write/edit a document on your iPhone and have your iPad, Mac or Apple TV instantly update to the same state or position you went to on the iPhone. You haven't AirPlayed photos and video from your iPhone to your Apple TV connected TV. You haven't played your iPhone music through speakers somewhere in your house using an AirPort Express, you haven't controlled your TV, Apple TV or Mac with Rowmote.

I have bought into the whole Apple ecosphere because it works, it's stylish, it's easy, no virus worries and products are well designed and built. Because Apple control the hardware and software, everything is designed to work together. This can NEVER happen on Android, because Google has licensed their operating system to be used on any device made by a whole host of hardware manufacturers and mobile network operators, who each tweak, modify, disable functions or add bloatware to different devices for their own gain. For me, there is no way I would even contemplate an Android device because no Android device will do what I want it to do.

The bottom line is: If you just use your handset as a standalone device, you can go ahead and make your choice between an iPhone or A.N.Other device and put up with the foibles of each device. But, if someone has never had the full and proper iPhone or Apple experience, slating the iPhone as a device or saying Android has overtake it, says more about their ignorance than the devices.

This. The reason I own lots of Apple hardware is the integration between all the devices - usually seemless and hassle free.

• 3 weeks later...
For those who have just upgraded to the new iOS, what are the impressions?

Looks good to me, and delighted that at last I can access bluetooth/wifi/aircraft mode settings with just one swipe. A glaring omission that had been present on my S3 that has now been rectified.

It looks contemporary and up to date, sadly my work calendar no longer syncs with it. Hopefully our central IT in Germany can find a work around. There will be further tricks to find i'm sure.

We may be talking at cross purposes here, and if so, sorry, but I had a notification of an upgrade last night and thinking it was just for security issues went for it. Unfortunately it has taken me from an ios6 which looked good and worked well to an ios7 system.

This may work just as well, but the screen now looks like its been made by Fisher Price.

Ess, seamlessness is just some made up concept you've invented because Apple have no innovation any more. All those things can be done on Android, and the integration is from the OS that runs everything on the same device, not some pretend corporate ethos which extends as far as "stuff looks the same".

I wrote a list of what delivers all that stuff on Android (except eBookmarks and wireless speaker streaming because I don't do those, but I'm sure they're out there), and I can do them all on an OS I downloaded about 18 months ago with apps I've had for 2 years.

Ess, seamlessness is just some made up concept you've invented because Apple have no innovation any more. All those things can be done on Android, and the integration is from the OS that runs everything on the same device, not some pretend corporate ethos which extends as far as "stuff looks the same".

I wrote a list of what delivers all that stuff on Android (except eBookmarks and wireless speaker streaming because I don't do those, but I'm sure they're out there), and I can do them all on an OS I downloaded about 18 months ago with apps I've had for 2 years.

But to do most/all of those things on Android, you have to download, install or run third party standalone software or apps or use cloud-based apps. All of what I'm talking about is iOS-based and integrated into iOS (and OS X) devices.

Again, to reiterate: Because Apple control the whole everything from Hardware to Software and by testing and approving 3rd part apps, the user experience for ease of operation, how everything integrates effortlessly and often works in the background without user input needed is head and shoulders above the Android experience of having to delve into menus, launch or install different apps, set up accounts with different 3rd party companies etc.

I dare say I could ditch all of my Apple technology and replace it with PC / Android compatible alternatives and do similar to what I do now, but I am pretty tech-savvy. I still wouldn't relish the thought of researching the best options to do all of the syncing, online storage, etc., then creating a multitude of accounts with new logins and passwords to remember, knowing full well that the experience would be as integrated and seamless as within iOS, and that's all before having to start constantly worrying about PC viruses and malware again, them dealing with the usual PC slowdown. Someone with little or no technical ability would NEVER be able to set up a PC/Android connected home network and integration to anything like the out-of-the-box (with one iCloud sign up) Apple experience.

Android is so fragmented because of Google's decision to open it up. Different handset manufacturers install different tweaked/bloated versions, as can network operators. Different auxiliary devices are the same. I received a free Sony Google Box with a new Sony TV a while back. The remote control (in theory) is the best thing about it (although it is poorly made.) I can tell you now, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that Apple would ever release such a useless piece of she-ite. It runs a version of Android and is so clunky and laggy, it's almost funny. There are tons of icons across various menus; the ones that aren't completely pointless and of no use are horrible to use. I have used it twice in the bedroom to watch content from an awfully clunky Netflix app, plus once to stream a YouTube video from my iPhone - this, on my home broadband network which was achieving 40Mb Down / 19Mb Up speeds, kept freezing and failing: I didn't manage to watch the whole clip. The whole experience of using the Android Google Box just reminds me of how much better the whole Apple experience is.

I pity any any non tech-savvy folk who get pushed by shop salespeople towards Android handsets or devices, as they will have no chance whatsoever of having the tech experience that either their devices 'could' be capable of, or they could have had with little or no effort with an iOS based set up.

What host of new passwords to remember etc? I used dropbox for most things which I had already, can wirelessly stream to my telly by downloading one app which literally took seconds. I really don't think it is as inconvenient or awkward as you make out. At most it would take a couple of hours when you first get the new device.

Had my phone 5 for a year.

with the new software update, did not like it too much

I had an offer from O2 to go on to their refresh scheme and did so. Traded my iphone 5 in and got a Galaxy S4 for a £50 payment from me.

my tarrif has gone down from £42 a month to £35 a month

I had an offer from O2 to go on to their refresh scheme and did so. Traded my iphone 5 in and got a Galaxy S4 for a £50 payment from me.

What a stupid thing to do.

Very intelligent thing to do. The s4 is a fantastic phone and whilst it may not be as simple to use as an iPhone, it can do everything a iPhone can do and more and all on a much bigger screen.

Well earlier you outlined a load of stuff that the iPhone can do and I just showed you that the s4 can do everything you said. It may take a bit more tweaking and be slightly more of an initial hassle but it can.

Please explain how, with an S4, I could:-

- continue an iMessage conversation that I have been having with somebody on my iPad.

- carry on browsing the same pages in Safari that I had been viewing on my iPad, Mac or MacBook.

- start watching a rented or purchased movie, then carry on watching it on my Apple TV.

- add or edit a contact on my phone and have it automatically update on my iPad or Mac.

- send music, video or photos to either speakers around my home or to my Apple TV.

- allow visitors to my home to show their photos/video/content from their S4 onto my TV with my existing Apple TV setup on the fly and without them having to install additional software.

I could carry on, but there is no way your S4 will ever do what my iPhone does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks Meh ball. I do pretty much do all of those things with my s4.it works particularly well with my sonos player. Now please tell me how I can play two player classic roms (snes gba nes psx n64 ds etc etc) on my TV through the iPhone?

Widgets make a big difference and mean I can control my Spotify and sonos player quickly and easily as well as my raspberry pi. The absolute best thing about the s4 is the universal remote control which allows me to control every television and media device in my house (and box such as Virgin media etc) from my phone. I went to a friends house the other day and he had misplaced his remote. No problem at all and within about thirty seconds I had a working remote for his TV. Don't think iPhone can do that either...

Edited by hypochondriac

I also have a micro hdmi cable that plugs into the back of all modern tvs and you can see the s4 instantly. It cost me three quid I think and charges the phone as well which is more than affordable considering what I saved on not paying the apple premium. Alternatively they could download yatse which takes two seconds and they can then stream any content they want to my raspberry pi.

Edited by hypochondriac

Please explain how, with an S4, I could:-

- continue an iMessage conversation that I have been having with somebody on my iPad.

- carry on browsing the same pages in Safari that I had been viewing on my iPad, Mac or MacBook.

- start watching a rented or purchased movie, then carry on watching it on my Apple TV.

- add or edit a contact on my phone and have it automatically update on my iPad or Mac.

- send music, video or photos to either speakers around my home or to my Apple TV.

- allow visitors to my home to show their photos/video/content from their S4 onto my TV with my existing Apple TV setup on the fly and without them having to install additional software.

I could carry on, but there is no way your S4 will ever do what my iPhone does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Essruu, it's only fair to warn you that you're running the risk of being accused of being parody of a parody.

I thought you used to pop in to these threads on a wind-up, but you do appear to be genuinely concerned about defending Apple now. And I might add, defending Apple from a position of narrow experience of alternatives.

Some of the questions you ask above are simply the standard ways of operating in the Google world.

I'm going to hand you a large portion of benefit-of-the-doubt-pie, and am assuming that you know this and are therefore on a wind-up. So you've hooked me.

If not then you should Google (is there an Apple search engine you could use instead?), Hangouts, Google TV, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies & TV, Chrome, Google Contacts, etc.

Some of the things on your list seem to be innovative, seamless, genuinely useful and unique to Apple. Congratulations.

Others seem to be the ramblings of the lone man left on the earth who, through ignorance, refuses to go near to the edge for fear of falling off.

I would like to add I don't think the iPhone is a bad phone, I just don't agree it is miles better than the best android have to offer.

It's fine. It's a much better phone for muggles. Most serious technical people I know are on Droid.

I would like to add I don't think the iPhone is a bad phone, I just don't agree it is miles better than the best android have to offer.

Absolutely hypochondriac.

As someone who understands and celebrates technology, the new iPhone 5s processor and co-processor (M7?) give me a silicon stiffy.

You pick up an Apple phone and there is something undeniably 'right' about the feel. But the s/w feels (to my mind) about 2 years out of date. And the dragging of their heels over new technology introduction, simply because they "know" they can introduce technology at their own pace and their loyal customers will put up with lesser capabilities, just doesn't suit me. But I can understand that it does for many others.

I'd also like to add that I have enormous concerns over the levels of intrusion that Google has/will have into our daily lives.

Ess - try google, it's free. you have no reason not to.... and works throughout ur locked down enviroment

just set up my google play music and got 18,000 songs on the cloud for free, i think apple charge £20 quid for this.....

i dropped my phone in the loo last week in the loo, but it was ok, how does apple get around this problem?

using google services don't lock you down to google hardware, they have bridged the gap between apple and windows with things like Drive/docs, and created a competitive, open source phone environment that is far less fragmented than it used to be. it is amazing that they all charge using the same socket! and i can switch from htc to samsung with no loss. basically the war is over because google are creating amazing free services across all platforms. it is now down to the consumer to choose and the hardware companies to impact that choice. apple slipping... Samsung still rising.... anyone with money realise sony are the true high end tech brand... :D

Ess - try google, it's free. you have no reason not to.... and works throughout ur locked down enviroment

... except it does not work with all of my Apple equipment!! I will reiterate my point re comparing a standalone iPhone /Android: You pay your money and take your chance; I have, however, seen no evidence that a fully integrated Windows/Android/Google TV system comes even close to the Mac/iOS/Apple TV experience. I own a Sony Google TV box and it is massive heap of dust-gathering turd.

... except it does not work with all of my Apple equipment!! I will reiterate my point re comparing a standalone iPhone /Android: You pay your money and take your chance; I have, however, seen no evidence that a fully integrated Windows/Android/Google TV system comes even close to the Mac/iOS/Apple TV experience. I own a Sony Google TV box and it is massive heap of dust-gathering turd.

Care to respond to the points raised by myself and saintbletch?

complete nonsense

i was given an ipad 3 from work this summer, and was able to sync my gmail, drive, calendar, chrome, currents, maps, and hangouts. Only thing i cant do is use play music and listen to the 18,000 songs i have uploaded to the cloud (for free, apple charge £20/year for this). All done through chrome on your Mac. You stated before that u already use netflix, which would work across the devices, i however choose to use plex and keep my data in house, and that lets me switch devices instantly, and pick up from that second i left the other device. even has an app on my samsung tv :) the google tv box is probably the worst product the have ever done, and your basing your whole argument on it. chromecast is much better. where by u can do the airplay thing, but from an iOS device or android. I set an old phone up and plugged it into the tv but i don't watch this TV this way and it didnt work for me.

Having used android next to iOS6&7, in my opinion android is far superior now, it wasn;t 4 years ago, iOS7 mostly added things that android already had, and still left put things like swype text. i dont pick up the ipad because ut takes so much longer to do anything on. The only thing iOS gives me that android doesnt is the traktor app, and even then it works better on windows.

Fundamentally, you miss the point with google. They are trying to create an environment that allows the user to choose their own hardware, apple are creating an environment where by you have to choose apple hardware. Even the apple environment doesn't seem to sync that well, amazed you cant buy apps in itunes and have them magically apppear on devices. Airplay isn't as good as just having a bluetooth audio adapter. The environment is there but they are more pushed on making people buy new products than actually creating a seamless syncing environment. Why isn't the ipod nano also the iphone watch?

The war is over, google proved that with maps, and untill apple come on board with competitive inter-cooperation like the rest of the tech community they will only slide further.

So... Contract up, set to leave apple for the first time. Phone paid for by work so money not really an issue, what phone should I get? Looks like the HTC1 is the best phone around but the nexus 5 is just around the corner. Would you wait for this, get the HTC1 now or even forget all that and get the iPhone as the 'safe bet' as my business partner did?

So... Contract up, set to leave apple for the first time. Phone paid for by work so money not really an issue, what phone should I get? Looks like the HTC1 is the best phone around but the nexus 5 is just around the corner. Would you wait for this, get the HTC1 now or even forget all that and get the iPhone as the 'safe bet' as my business partner did?

Personally I like having the one physical button so never been a huge fan of the nexus despite the price.

Cheers. Is the nexus generally just a great value mid end phone? If so, I'll go for the HTC1. Vodafone doing it with skysports mobile at the moment. Seems decent.

I wouldn't say mid range. When it is released it will have top specs and be up there. What it won't have is expandable memory via an sd card and a removable battery, both things I couldn't live without in my s4. Tbh all top end android phones are decent and will probably achieve what you want. Both the HTC1 and the nexus will probably be decent choices. My advice is to go into a store and see which one catches your eye.

After these many years, are we about to have a serious exchange of views Toke?

I guess so. Well assuming that you get to the end of this post, that is.

I am in a similar boat, although I moved from Apple two years ago and am now looking for my next Android phone; I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 at the moment.

I will probably get the Nexus 5. The specs that have been leaked (assuming they are accurate), make it a pretty high-end device. It will probably be well priced, will come with the newest version of Android (4.4 Kit Kat) and will obviously be unlocked. I am determined not to enter in to another long contract with a smug mobile service provider that only gives me a tiny data allowance. So I probably use the opportunity to try a few different service providers on a SIM-only basis until I find the one that I want to stay with longer term.

I bought my wife the Nexus 4 a month or so ago when the 16GB model went down to £199, and I'm very impressed. As hypochondriac says, the battery and memory are the drawbacks with the Nexus range, but I have read a rumour that the high-end Nexus 5 may come with a very large capacity battery. On the memory front, I now use Google Play Music and Google Play TV and Movies so I only pin the media to the device that I use most frequently. This means that I have lots of spare storage now. If you have a lot or large media files that you continually need access to, look for a phone that allows an external SD card.

What I find refreshing about Google devices is that they are pretty much the pure Android without any of the bloatware that manufacturers add to differentiate their phones. I spend most of my time with a new phone turning off all the things that drain battery and inform the man in the sky about my position on the planet. That said, many phones come with superb software that is unique and very useful - the Galaxy S4 being one of them.

One thing to check that you don't have to consider in the Apple world is that all of your applications run on the platform you have. Sky, for example, is notoriously bad at ensuring that Sky Go runs across all Android devices. For content protection reasons they have to ensure that the streamed video is not able to be sent to an external display. This requires a different technical approach for different devices, so they choose to only support a subset of the most popular phones/tablets. I don't know of any other apps that don't run across all devices, but it's worth checking.

My business partner has the HTC One and he loves it. I note however that HTC is in all sorts of difficulty and have scaled back production significantly, so I'm guessing that says something about the wider appeal of the HTC One and perhaps the viability of the company. Not that it really changes your decision as it is still an excellent phone, but it may limit their commitment to continually updating the version of Android on the device.

My other choice is actually the LG G2. As you probably know, LG made the Nexus 4 and will make the Nexus 5, so their pedigree is good. It's got an amazing screen - 5.2" and a massive battery - 3000 mAh which to be honest is one of the most important things to me if I'm going to be away from my desk for the day. The Nexus 5 is rumoured to be a cut-down LG G2, so if that's true, I will compare the prices and the functional differences and then decide.

Another reason to consider changing from Apple is that it keeps you "technically young". By making yourself learn a new environment, I find it keeps you mentally fresh. By challenging yourself to learn new ways to do the same, mundane tasks it takes away a little of the boredom that can creep in. But, as I hope I've shown above, there are reasons to stay with Apple too. Especially if technical things don't interest you, or you're too busy to learn those new things. In that case you should stay with Apple you methor-fickung cucksocker.

Only joking bletch, good to know. As the phone is going through work I am not to fussed that the nexus is good value, I just want a top end phone that won't be out of date in a couple of months. As hypo suggested, it is probably best that I go into a shop and have a feel of the phones as they are all very similar in spec.

I changed from the iphone 4S to 5S - and am very impressed. It's processing power means it is so snappy and smooth, has good battery life too. Love the fingerprint sensor just touch for a second and its unlocked.

I thought about the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 but too many things would not work - i use Nike fitness apps / products that aren't supported by Android, have apple tv and ipad, which work brilliantly. Also have Bose products which by and large are designed with apple in mind...

Also found the s4 very cheap feeling and basically too big - i run lot and don't want a dinner plate on my arm, ditto the HTC...

I changed from the iphone 4S to 5S - and am very impressed. It's processing power means it is so snappy and smooth, has good battery life too. Love the fingerprint sensor just touch for a second and its unlocked.

I thought about the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 but too many things would not work - i use Nike fitness apps / products that aren't supported by Android, have apple tv and ipad, which work brilliantly. Also have Bose products which by and large are designed with apple in mind...

Also found the s4 very cheap feeling and basically too big - i run lot and don't want a dinner plate on my arm, ditto the HTC...

Had a look at one in the phone shop the other day. It feels like a million quid in your hand I must admit and I can certainly see why you'd want to stay in the Apple ecosystem, but I'm starting to read a lot about Apple quality issues. It would be interesting to hear about your ongoing experiences with the phone danner.

Before this turns into a whataboutery session, I freely acknowledge that Android phone manufacturers have more than their fair share of problems - and probably more than Apple. But I've noticed a lot of press around Apple problems recently.

I see that Apple's making a public recall of MacBook Air units at risk of catostrophic SSD failure.

They are also recalling iPhone 5s units with manufacturing issues that lead to battery life problems.

That's fair enough, they're a very big company and quality control is not easy when profits are being squeezed due to agile and innovative competitors. But an organisation that sets a premium price for its products can only sustain that if the premium halo doesn't fall. And personal experience tells me that a little of the lustre is being rubbed off the Apple brand at the moment.

My daughter has an Apple 4s and absolutely loves it. Before she got it, I tried to at least get her to consider an alternative (Nexus 4). She rightly pointed out that it's ugly compared to the 4s and so she got a 4s in white. She'd had it for a while when she upgraded to iOS 6. A short while after doing so her WiFi stopped working. The WiFi would just not turn on and the Bluetooth capability stopped too. It appeared to me to be a hardware failure. If you understand software and hardware, you'd probably think that it would be very unlikely that these two events could be linked. How can the upgrade of an OS cause a hardware failure?

See here:

http://techland.time.com/2013/06/06/apples-ios-6-1-3-update-can-knock-out-wi-fi-bluetooth-and-cost-you-200-to-fix/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4909703?start=0&tstart=0

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

After much Googling, it appeared that the v 6.1.3 of iOS changed the heat tolerance for the chip that controls WiFi and Bluetooth and this caused the the chip to fail. I'll say that one more time, an Apple-created software upgrade caused the hardware to fail.

I don't think Apple is prepared to acknowledge that this is the case publicly, but kudos to them for the way they are covertly dealing with the problem. As has been suggested in the various threads on this, my daughter turned up at the Apple store with her beaten up 4s, described the problem and left with a brand new one. No questions asked, no reason given. Her phone was 2 months out of its warranty period too.

As I say, I'd really like to hear about your own experiences with the 5s over the coming months. Also despite disappointing sales, if anyone else has bought the 5c I'd be interested to hear about your experiences.

What would have happened if a similar problem occurred with the Nexus 4 that you made reference to, for instance?

Could she have walked into a shop and been given a brand new handset for a battered old one that was 2 months out of warranty?

Could she have sent it off to Google and had it replaced (notwithstanding the fact that she would have been without a handset for weeks/months even OF the replaced it!)?

My daughter had a not too dissimilar experience recently: iMessage on her iPhone 5 started playing up not long after she started using iMessage on her iPad Mini, plus calls would often drop out about 4-5mins into a call. The iMessage issue was a known problem after the iOS 7 rollout (and incidentally was rectified by a firmware update the day after her visit to the Apple Store!) The call issue was not replicated in-store, so it is not known whether it was a software or Network Provider issue.) She walked out with a brand new handset within minutes- no testing, no days without a handset whilst it is investigated, just a no quibble and instant replacement and another happy customer.

And people still wonder why it is worth paying for Apple's quality products and customer service that is second to none?

What would have happened if a similar problem occurred with the Nexus 4 that you made reference to, for instance?

Could she have walked into a shop and been given a brand new handset for a battered old one that was 2 months out of warranty?

Could she have sent it off to Google and had it replaced (notwithstanding the fact that she would have been without a handset for weeks/months even OF the replaced it!)?

My daughter had a not too dissimilar experience recently: iMessage on her iPhone 5 started playing up not long after she started using iMessage on her iPad Mini, plus calls would often drop out about 4-5mins into a call. The iMessage issue was a known problem after the iOS 7 rollout (and incidentally was rectified by a firmware update the day after her visit to the Apple Store!) The call issue was not replicated in-store, so it is not known whether it was a software or Network Provider issue.) She walked out with a brand new handset within minutes- no testing, no days without a handset whilst it is investigated, just a no quibble and instant replacement and another happy customer.

And people still wonder why it is worth paying for Apple's quality products and customer service that is second to none?

Hello Essruu, shh, it's OK, it's OK, shh. I'm here for you.

You've bought the right brand. Your years of investment in Apple technology isn't wasted. It's still good kit, supplied by a company that knows how to convince people to pay a premium for the perception of quality.

To answer your question directly, I'd imagine the experience with Google over a Nexus 4 return would be inferior in almost every way.

They simply don't have enough margin in each handset to pay for the sort of cosseting that Apple can indulge in. In fact, I'm not even certain that they make a profit at all on the device. They appear to be buying their way into the market to hurt Apple (and others).

Then again, I suppose it's about expectations. The Nexus 4 is a cheap, contract-free phone sold via the internet to people who either place more value on function than form, prefer leading edge technology, or just don't have the cash for an Apple device. For those reasons, the expectation from Google in a return scenario would likely be less.

As neither of us knows, I'll speculate a little. I reckon inside of warranty, Google would simply exchange the phone. It simply costs them less to do this than employing expensive humans to engage in debate with customers. Outside of warranty, I'm guessing they'd simply refuse to replace the device. So inferior service to Apple? Yes, in all likelihood. Poor service? No, I don't think they can afford to provide poor service.

In fact, I think if there was the same level of unrest in the Google community about the sort of problems Apple engineered into their products, Google might find themselves compelled to replace them outside of warranty too. I'm guessing, and I'd happily concede that this may not happen, but Google is smart enough to know that they can't afford bad press if they are going to make further inroads into Apple's markets. This isn't about valuing customers, it's understanding and manipulating market dynamics.

As I said, Kudos to Apple for replacing the device. A premium device bought for a premium price with a problem brought about by a far-from-premium software upgrade.

If you look at the articles and discussions that I linked to, you'll see that punters were complaining for months before Apple's covert FoC exchange policy. Look at some of the language used by their premium-paying customers on those forums in the period where Apple went dark on the problem. I'm not sure that they felt that the premium they paid was delivering value. Eventually, I'm guessing that media-savvy Apple felt the cost to the brand of holding out was less than the cost of replacing the handsets. Again, fair enough, Apple is after all a pragmatic and well-oiled corporate machine (as is Google, Samsung, et al).

As for paying a premium for quality products, my contention is that this Apple=Quality equation is starting to be questioned. This could be doubly damaging for Apple at a time when more and more people seem to be looking to balance those equations with =Value, =Innovation or even =Differentiated.

Personally, I find it amazing that when people walk into the beautiful, brightly lit and expensive Apple stores that they don't associate their personal complicity in their own exploitation. Perhaps they do. All the time Apple was providing kit that nobody else had, it was fine, but now similar functionality can be access for a fraction of the prince. The Emperor is naked.

Perhaps I'm not the right person to judge. After all, if I didn't have kids to tell me how embarrassing I am, I'd be dressed by George at ASDA.

I don't want to come across all tit-for-tattery, I am genuinely interested to hear from Apple users about their experiences.