Have the military changed their flight paths ???

Marsdinho

I know there are a few on here that know about these sort of things, but have the military changed their flight paths, training areas recently.

Over the last few months I've noticed more and more Chinooks flying over my house in Bitterne, the other day (probably before Christmas) I had an Apache helicopter fly over, the same happened again over the weekend.

Or are we under attack from America?!?!

Where would they come from? Here in Liverpool we get the RAF flying from Valley to the Lakes for low level flying exercises but what would a chinook be doing over Southampton?

Exactly my point, they are flying south to north predominantly. I haven't a scooby do, but just seem to have noticed more and more.

Aren't they based up in North Hampshire

RAF Odiham to be precise. And when I worked at the airport, they used to do a lot of instrument training using Southampton airport approaches, hence you would often see them either holding overhead Southampton, or flying an 'approach'. Can't imagine that would've changed much, so it's probably just training.

The chinooks from Odiham seem to have busy and quiet phases. We see very few for weeks then we get several each day for weeks. They fly bloody low over my house .... Makes the windows rattle!

i suppose it depends in their training schedule and when personnel are due to go out on tour. I'd resent the noise more but for the fact that those poor buggers need the practice if they're going to Afghanistan or similar . So good luck to them.

Whereas the inconsiderate gits from Popham who fly over in noisy little private planes and seem to think they are the Red Baron as they do pathetic little aerobatics just over my house...... grrrr!

The Chinooks are based at Odiham near Alton, they seem to fly in a triangle from Odiham towards Portsmouth then off towards Southampton and back to Odiham. As has been said it seems to happen alot over the period of 6 weeks or so and then nothing for months. Longbow's (Apache's) are less frequent, but still get what look like RAF Lynx and RN Lynx fairly regularly.

• 1 year later...
I used to drive between Winchester and Salisbury for work and occasionally the Apaches would be hovering over the Wallops and would clearly be using the car for targeting practice. That got the old ringpiece doing 2p 50p

I once got tailed over Salisbury Plain by 2 A-10 Warthogs.

Get plenty over my house as I live near Thorney Island. They've a distinctive sound, as do the Spitfires and Harvards who come over every week, flying out of Goodwood.

There's a local pilot round here who flies a Bell UH-01 Huey helicopter, theres no mistaking that when it's airborne.