Saintsweb - the glory days?

whelk

The site is generally fine as it is.

For those worried about so-called trolls, just don't feed them. I had one of the named three clinging to my arse like a bowl-shy turd, referencing me in posts, etc. Just deny them of oxygen. They scream while they suffocate for a little while, invoking your name with greater desperation, but I find that's fun to watch too.

The trick lies in not giving a f**k, a feat that's a load easier when you read the posts.

I've been on this site since the beggining and a bit of Saintsforever before that. I don't really remember it ever being that different. Maybe people get away with less, but that is just the way the internet is compared to before. I still enjoy reading it as much as I ever have and find it invaluable as a saintsfan. The rest of yous lot must agree judging by the amount of times some people post/spend on here!

The site is generally fine as it is.

For those worried about so-called trolls, just don't feed them. I had one of the named three clinging to my arse like a bowl-shy turd, referencing me in posts, etc. Just deny them of oxygen. They scream while they suffocate for a little while, invoking your name with greater desperation, but I find that's fun to watch too.

The trick lies in not giving a f**k, a feat that's a load easier when you read the posts.

Says the man who got so angry he posted a picture of himself outside a retail patk with the Liverpool Echo to justify himself and his existence, Pap repost that belter, I can honestly it is one of the funniest and desperate things I have seen in all my life.

Had just typed this frickin response, but got lost.

I am a reasonable guy who is used to mediation. G/B/T - send your posts to me for moderation before they are posted. I will credit the post to you. It will mean a 24hr cooling off period before each post and you should restrict yourselves to three posts a day. What about about it? Try it for a month?

My personal take on the situation.

I don't think this forum (and it's natural prequels) is any better / worse than it has been for the last 8-9 years I have been browsing and contributing to it, merely different. I don't ever recall it being a bastion of humour and tactical dissection. Indeed some of the best posts I have read are by people I don't believe were there at that time (Rallyboy and Halo in case you are wondering).

As a Moderator I get asked a lot to pick people up on trolling or spoiling threads. In the general scheme of things unless people are taking the thread off-topic or are conducting themselves in a rude or discriminatory I'll let it go.

Although the repetitive posts from some can be tedious posters do have three simple options:

1) Use the forum ignore function

2) Use your own ignore function

3) Debate the point and let your argument win

The number of threads and posts complaining about trolling / Wumming is becoming as prominent as any perceived trolling.

Not everyone will agree and / or like each other. Accept it and deal with it.

I don't think this forum (and it's natural prequels) is any better / worse than it has been for the last 8-9 years I have been browsing and contributing to it, merely different. I don't ever recall it being a bastion of humour and tactical dissection.

I used to spend my lunch breaks reading SaintsForever around 2002 / 2003 and there weren't many lunch breaks where I didn't shed a tear with laughter. I'm not sure if this is a reflection on how funny the forum was then, or how dull my mornings were, I remember it as being very funny though.

What do you think about the tactic of playing them at their own game? I've been giving it a whirl for a few weeks now bit I'm not convinced its working....

Don't think it'll work. I know you're getting pilloried for your high post count, but the intent isn't really the same thing. You're not posting your Groundhog Day images to elicit an emotional response from the more fragile members of the community. The sort of content referred to in the OP is designed to wind people up and get people angry on the Internet.

tbf to the 3 that have been named and possibly shamed, if it wasn't them, it'd be someone else ( or at least a different username :D ). Also in their defence; there are a lot of people that'll say they're talking sh!te no matter how correct they are, or won't believe any negative news story when it lands ( even though a positive story from the same journo was accepted without complaint ). Those are valid questions. The issue is whether they should be repeated on every single thread.

The two tiered system changed this forum......Most normal level headed Saints fans are not going to pay 5 quid to post on a internet forum and are therefore restricted in their contribution.....Where as internet addicts will happily pay to feed their addiction......The result is what we see here....a forum top heavy and somewhat polluted with internet addicts.

The ignore function is a waste of space until the quotes from peeps on ignore are blocked as well

The two tiered system changed this forum......Most normal level headed Saints fans are not going to pay 5 quid to post on a internet forum and are therefore restricted in their contribution.....Where as internet addicts will happily pay to feed their addiction......The result is what we see here....a forum top heavy and somewhat polluted with internet addicts.

The ignore function is a waste of space until the quotes from peeps on ignore are blocked as well

Most people who visit this site will never post here, paid or not.

I do find your likening of £5 a year to an "addiction" to be highly amusing. You'll have to let me know where you're getting your weed from :)

I suggested to Baj that the system should be changed and the three posts limit a day removed. There would still be benefit of paying the fiver as you'd get PMs, avi pics and no adverts, but at least every else could contribute a bit more, I don't think many full members would have an issue with this change. I think my suggestion is still sitting in his in tray under an empty curry container :(

Most people who visit this site will never post here, paid or not.

I do find your likening of £5 a year to an "addiction" to be highly amusing. You'll have to let me know where you're getting your weed from :)

You should try brushing up on your reading comprehension......Did I say all peeps who pay a fiver are addicts?.....No.....Strange that you read it that way......Maybe my post hit a little too close to home for you?

You should try brushing up on your reading comprehension......Did I say all peeps who pay a fiver are addicts?.....No.....Strange that you read it that way......Maybe my post hit a little too close to home for you?

These are really the easiest sort of posts to sort out.

You have a pop at me for reading comprehension yet seem to have found a secret passage of my post that says "hur hur. you said all peeps who pay a fiver are addicts, dumbarse!" which no-one else can see and I don't remember writing ( apart from this post, like ).

All I said was that you likened paying a fiver here to addiction, which you did.

Where as internet addicts will happily pay to feed their addiction......The result is what we see here....a forum top heavy and somewhat polluted with internet addicts.

Now I'm not saying I don't want to argue with ya, George. Just think you should work your way up first. Making sure you're internally consistent is a decent first step.

With fresh blood like the OP to liven up the mongboard gene pool, the future is bright...

I only recall seeing you recently. Think you only registered with me as you were getting torn to shreds. Very clever apparently though.

I will pretend to understand that, sorry no I wont what do you mean?

If a new member wants to register they need an email address but as anyone can sign up for gmail, hotmail etc and so can easily have multiple accounts, these domains are not allowed. Must leave some unable to register as a full member as their only email address will not be permitted.

If a new member wants to register they need an email address but as anyone can sign up for gmail, hotmail etc and so can easily have multiple accounts, these domains are not allowed. Must leave some unable to register as a full member as their only email address will not be permitted.

Wondered why I had to use a sky account to join, correct it must stop people from joining, how do people seem to have multiple accounts?

I think i changed more than this place. In Saintsweb I mainy posted in the Lounge, often starting threads and having a laugh as much as possible. Once you had to pay to make more than 3 posts, I refused to cough up and stopped posting so much. For some reason I can't explain i spend very little time in here and mostly just look at the Saints page. And when i post it's very rare for it to be a cheerful one.

I'm not sure what it was like prior to last January when I first started reading this forum, and I had to wait until later in the year to join to see for myself.

However, when I joined I got followed around mercilessly, I suppose even harassed to a degree by a few posters on here. Luckily this was spotted by a few posters (thanks guys btw) who gave me tips on how to deal with those that follow you around the forum.

Turkish used to be good at trolling, I would regularly ROFL and PMSL at his seamless wind ups and sarcasm that went straight over a lot of people's heads. Not any more though.

It does get pretty tedious watching the same few posters hounding anyone who has a different opinion to them. Which is probably the reason delldays/batman has never had an opinion of his own on this site, he picks up on the popular (but mostly wrong) opinion of the month and echoes it relentlessly.

The trolls have always been around - but used to just be a minor part of the mix along with really funny threads, proper football debate and a wide range of other subjects. A lot of that other stuff has disappeared leaving just the relentlessly dull and repetitive four or five to stand out. You cant imagine the Ted Bates statue thread happening now - it would get trashed before it got off the ground.

To be fair, 96.7% of my posts stem from my unhealthy obsession with Pompey's demise. I do envy them sometimes, what with them being shareholders of their own club an' all.

Indeed, yours are a public service to those of us who are internetually challenged!

I only got in to forums when we looked like we were going under as a means of keeping in touch, grasping at straws etc so I can't comment on golden ages etc.

What I did find is this...there are very few ITKs that have any kind of track record of success...ever. There are those that manage to convey their view with humour - it's difficult to convey the expression that you would use in conversation - but I've laughed out loud on many occasions and mostly on the skate thread. I've also discovered that fans of opposing teams take delight in posting as themselves, sometimes, masquerading as a Saints fan more often but they're not difficult to see through...negative, defensive, go on the attack when questioned, sneer about being bullied, adhere themselves to their like and sometimes invent personas to talk to them selves...I wonder why they would go on another club's forums? I couldn't do that any more than wear their shirts!

I've also discovered that it's possible to nurture a deep distaste for a person or persons that I've never met...I could describe one poster as having all the personality of Michael Gove and the likeability of Joey Barton and I bet 95% of people would know who I mean. This/these wouldn't hang around a pub or club where they were so obviously despised but the internet gives that refuge, that anonymity so has it always been so?

Have I lived in the 'golden age' or did I miss it?