People coming into work ill

Scudamore

Lots of moaning and groaning in my office this morning...

Personally i'll reserve the sympathy in place of a "f::ck off home"

If i am ill over Christmas as a consequence of this martyrdom there will be hell to pay...

------------------------------------

Why do people feel the need to do this?

If i am ill over Christmas as a consequence of this martyrdom there will be hell to pay...

Because their employers don't look favourably on people who take sick days or maybe they don't get paid sick days?

Because they're working up to being off 'ill' when, in fact, they're off to do their last minute shopping?

Talking of work, has anyone seen our secretary?

She has disappeared.

Didn't come into work last 2 weeks ago and we have not seen or heard of her since, just one email from her on the day saying that her mother in law was ill and she was going to visit her. Not heard from her since and her phone is switched off.

Talking of work, has anyone seen our secretary?

She has disappeared.

Didn't come into work last 2 weeks ago and we have not seen or heard of her since, just one email from her on the day saying that her mother in law was ill and she was going to visit her. Not heard from her since and her phone is switched off.

{checks which forum this is in...}

Is she in your basement Hatch?

hmm the whole going in sick thing.

Tis difficult as to your superior its seen in a good light that youve made it in when not feeling 100%. However there is a risk that you make your colleagues ill.

Theres also the prpblem when only you can do the job you do well, someone may attempt to cover you but they are likely to **** it up so when you return afer being sick you have a load of **** to deal with!

Try picking up some alcohol rub thing for you hands and put it on a few times during the day. I believe most people pick up colds and things by touching things the someone with a virus has touched (phone, door handle etc), then putting your hands to your face without killing the germs first. Not sure if everyone would laugh at you if they saw you first though. It also dries your hands out. When I was visiting one of the kids in hospital I had to use it every time I went in or out of the ward and my hands were very dry by the time she left hospital.

100% agree with you!

Stop polluting my oxygen and get the **** away from me!

It's called The Bradford Index. Whoever invented it should be shot.

LUL rules are = You can self certificate sick leave for up to seven days, but only once in six months. After that (even if you break a leg or whatever) you can be disciplined.

So, if you go sick for one day, you might as well take the week off to make it worth your while.

Now this does mean that we try not to take the urine with reguards to being "fake" sick, in that if we do go off sick, we can't do it again for six months. However this does lead to sick people coming into work, because they don't want to use their quota of sick leave up.

I am from the latter group. If I'm sick, and able to get out of bed and do my job, I'll come into work. Who knows what lies around the corner. I'm sure LUL would use their common sense in certain ways with reguards being sick twice in 6 months, but I value my job and choose not to push it.

Unselfish? Perhaps, but until they change their policy I'll keep doing it. Yes, my colleagues and the customers may catch it, but there's so many germs flying around at Heathrow I doubt it'll make much difference.

Staff are scared of going off sick as they will be hit with the 'managing attendance policy' nonsense.

Of course, when a manager is sick, they phone up another manager and say they are working from home.

My manager tried this until I saw her laptop under her desk, which contained her mobile broadband dongle, which you need to access the shared works drive.

Of course, I pretended to be concerned that it had been left lying about when I handed it over to the head of department but the real reason is that I wanted him to just put him in the picture, if you know what I mean.

Well, why should managers play the system to suit them and them and then try and use the managing attendance policy as a stick to beat staff with.

My conscience is clear.:smt075:)

Because they're working up to being off 'ill' when, in fact, they're off to do their last minute shopping?

I'd say you were a cynic but as our sickness has risen by about 10% in the last week then I concede you have a point.

hmm the whole going in sick thing.

Tis difficult as to your superior its seen in a good light that youve made it in when not feeling 100%. However there is a risk that you make your colleagues ill.

Theres also the prpblem when only you can do the job you do well, someone may attempt to cover you but they are likely to **** it up so when you return afer being sick you have a load of **** to deal with!

Very true and this is where a good return to work will offer support rather then give you a bollocking for being human a few times a year. Often, weak managers, can't distinguish between support and the 'needs of the operation suffered' line.

However, it does seem that we're going to be hit by a double whammy of Norovirus and Flu.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7783099.stm

I'm glad I don't work in a large office

There are quite a few of our office staff off with this type of bug. Personally, I think it's because the lady staff sit at there desks with there coats on, even though the room is red hot.

Sexist? Maybe, but it's funny how it's the ladies who are always off sick with the same thing's and yet they are the ones who moan that it's too cold. The blokes just tend to get on with thing's and haven't been off sick.

LUL rules are = You can self certificate sick leave for up to seven days, but only once in six months. After that (even if you break a leg or whatever) you can be disciplined.

So, if you go sick for one day, you might as well take the week off to make it worth your while.

Now this does mean that we try not to take the urine with reguards to being "fake" sick, in that if we do go off sick, we can't do it again for six months. However this does lead to sick people coming into work, because they don't want to use their quota of sick leave up.

I am from the latter group. If I'm sick, and able to get out of bed and do my job, I'll come into work. Who knows what lies around the corner. I'm sure LUL would use their common sense in certain ways with reguards being sick twice in 6 months, but I value my job and choose not to push it.

Unselfish? Perhaps, but until they change their policy I'll keep doing it. Yes, my colleagues and the customers may catch it, but there's so many germs flying around at Heathrow I doubt it'll make much difference.

Yes, I think in some ways that giving staff a bollocking for a few days off encourages them to have more off as they are aware of the end result. Then again, I guess any policy relies on the goodwill and integrity of staff in such issues.

As for using their quota of sick leave? I do think that some staff thing going sick is an entitlement lol.

I noticed that back in my sixth form days, a lot of women we're bunking off lessons with "Lady troubles".

I think this is sexist because there is no male excuse that works as easily. "Willy pain" doesn't quite cut it.

No one ever questions haemorrhoids.

I go to work when I'm sick, and take sick days when I want a lie in or have a hangover.

Last week wasn't fun when I was genuinely ill :(

This is the best way and sensible way to do it.

Incidentally when's the best day to take a sickie? You'll need to consider it's got to be at least 3 days duration to make it worthwhile and realistic. Monday is too obvious despite the benefit of not looking like you're coming down with something on previous days. Personally I'm swayed by going off on Friday and then taking Monday and Tuesday off. Sick days that straddle a weekend have the bonus of being the best days of the week with new added authenticity!

However, it does seem that we're going to be hit by a double whammy of Norovirus and Flu.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7783099.stm

I'm glad I don't work in a large office

There's only 8 of us in our office, but we got hit by it last January big time. We usually have 6 in on fully staffed days, for the best part of three weeks we were lucky to have three. 'Twas a bleedin' nightmare.

At least they are not work shy, unlike a lot of office workers.

"IM ILL. I HAVE A RUNNY NOSE AND A LITTLE BIT OF A SOAR THROAT. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!, SO I AM NOT COMING INTO WORK TODAY"